Best Visuals for an RTS?

• 152 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Citrus25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Citrus25
Member since 2009 • 2466 Posts

Which RTS has the best visuals to date?

Creative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Creative
Member since 2002 • 2522 Posts

COH hands down. DoW should not even be mentioned.

ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts
Dawn of War 2. World in Conflict comes a close second.
KeithFerns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 KeithFerns
Member since 2005 • 796 Posts

Depends

COH has better textures, physics, animations and unit models while WIC has better effects and terrain. Overall though I would say Company of Heroes.

KeithFerns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KeithFerns

I find it funny that Starcraft 2 is up here but no total war game is, which are arguably the best looking RTS games

psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Probably one of the Total Wars.

Lord_DoDo56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 Lord_DoDo56
Member since 2005 • 960 Posts
Close scale - Company of Heroes. I remember when it came out you could zoom in close and it looked like a Steam FPS. Large Scale - Total War, specifically Napoleon. Having 5 platoons shooting at once with the smoke and haze is awesome!
luckyjj10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 luckyjj10
Member since 2005 • 219 Posts

Total war by far renders the most detailed (and most quantity) of units at once, along with amazing animations in the newer total wars.

Special recognition to Company of Heroes for having some of the most interactive battlefields I've seen and look good doing it.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
I love World in Conflicts effects. They're the definition of eyecandy.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

World in conflict no question.

LOL at anyone voting StarCraft 2. The game looks good, but pales in comparision to the other games mentioned here.

Spoonoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Spoonoop
Member since 2004 • 178 Posts

COH hands down. DoW should not even be mentioned.

Creative

Units in DoW 2 are just as detailed as in CoH. I would agree that CoH looks better though.

malebog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 malebog123
Member since 2010 • 243 Posts
waIT, PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY VOTING STARCRAFT 2 AS HAVING BEST VISUALS? WOW, JUST WOW.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
deactivated-5e376fa88bd45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
Member since 2004 • 4403 Posts

I'd probably toss it to CoH if anything. One of my big beefs with DoW2 was that the game didn't have anywhere near the same kind of "realisitic"/believable destructibility as CoH.

Its very close with WiC as well considering there hellishly good special effects. Seriously man, its still the best Nuke i've ever seen in a game.

Geez I gotta play that game again.

thoraxe42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thoraxe42
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts

I thought R.U.S.E. was rather impressive when I played the BETA.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

waIT, PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY VOTING STARCRAFT 2 AS HAVING BEST VISUALS? WOW, JUST WOW.malebog123

Yes they are :D Or are you trying to say someone who finds sc2 to be them most visually appealing rts is infact wrong and in something as highly subjective as visuals theres is only one clear answer? Blizzard created a very appealing games thanks to a great artstyle. Fact is raw technical power is not needed to create a visually appealing game or are you going to say a game like mario galaxy 2 is ugly cause its on the low tech wii? Infact this entire poll proves that point people are voting for reletively low tech rts if raw technical graphics is all that matteres everyone would pick the last option and say one of the total war games as those are the crysis of the rts wolrd and if the poll was about the most techincally advanced rts it would be the only right answer but since this is about visuals there is no clear cut answer.

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
World in Conflict, no contest.
DieselCat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DieselCat18
Member since 2002 • 3006 Posts

Supreme Commander : FA and DoW 1

*+

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

dow 2 has some amazing stuff in it.. another good one is C&C RA3 that one ssuper weapons are just epic.

Nighteg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 Nighteg
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts
Age of Empires 3.
dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

Homeworld. Still looks amazing over a decade later.

khornedeadra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 khornedeadra
Member since 2009 • 738 Posts

[QUOTE="malebog123"]waIT, PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY VOTING STARCRAFT 2 AS HAVING BEST VISUALS? WOW, JUST WOW.DJ_Headshot

Yes they are :D Or are you trying to say someone who finds sc2 to be them most visually appealing rts is infact wrong and in something as highly subjective as visuals theres is only one clear answer? Blizzard created a very appealing games thanks to a great artstyle. Fact is raw technical power is not needed to create a visually appealing game or are you going to say a game like mario galaxy 2 is ugly cause its on the low tech wii? Infact this entire poll proves that point people are voting for reletively low tech rts if raw technical graphics is all that matteres everyone would pick the last option and say one of the total war games as those are the crysis of the rts wolrd and if the poll was about the most techincally advanced rts it would be the only right answer but since this is about visuals there is no clear cut answer.

What? You made about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. Basically you're saying that because you like the art style in starcraft 2 it has superior graphics than all the other games up on the list? Okay well by that logic If I drew me up some stick figures and liked the "art" style then it would be superior to starcraft 2's visuals. Yeah kinda tone down a little on the fanboyism.
malebog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 malebog123

[QUOTE="malebog123"]waIT, PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY VOTING STARCRAFT 2 AS HAVING BEST VISUALS? WOW, JUST WOW.DJ_Headshot

Look, there is a fine line between liking a game, and LIKING a game TO SELF DELUSION. The poll clearly states, "Best RTS visuals to date" not "best artistic direction or best low tech looking game" Your logic is flawed, no one ever claimed starcraft 2 is ugly, but visually, it pales in comparison to some of the better looking games out there with far more detail. Try to think before you post.
KeithFerns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 KeithFerns

LOL how is SC2 winning?

There must be some delusional fanboys around. While Starcraft 2 looks okay, compared to any of the games listed here it falls short. I swear people are voting SC2 because they want the game to be perfect at everything.

If I new how to display pics in my post I would pics up so everyone can see the clear differences

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DJ_Headshot

[QUOTE="DJ_Headshot"]

[QUOTE="malebog123"]waIT, PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY VOTING STARCRAFT 2 AS HAVING BEST VISUALS? WOW, JUST WOW.khornedeadra

What? You made about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine. Basically you're saying that because you like the art style in starcraft 2 it has superior graphics than all the other games up on the list? Okay well by that logic If I drew me up some stick figures and liked the "art" style then it would be superior to starcraft 2's visuals. Yeah kinda tone down a little on the fanboyism.

:| way to completely miss the point of my post and no where do i say its technically superior to other the other games I said i found it the most visually appealing out of those games which is not something that should be found as surprising. Your confusing technical graphics with visuals which is subjective and depends on the person as to which game hast he better visuals is that really so hard to understand? And yes if that stick figure game had a better artstyle that you preffered it would visually superior to sc2 which is why profressional website gave kirbys epic yarn best graphics of e3.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/best-graphics-best-of-e3/701096

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DJ_Headshot

[QUOTE="DJ_Headshot"]

[QUOTE="malebog123"]waIT, PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY VOTING STARCRAFT 2 AS HAVING BEST VISUALS? WOW, JUST WOW.malebog123

. Look, there is a fine line between liking a game, and LIKING a game TO SELF DELUSION. The poll clearly states, "Best RTS visuals to date" not "best artistic direction or best low tech looking game" Your logic is flawed, no one ever claimed starcraft 2 is ugly, but visually, it pales in comparison to some of the better looking games out there with far more detail. Try to think before you post.

Your confusing technical graphics with visuals which is a combination of art $tyle and the graphical tech. As for which game looks better visually to a person is highly subjective. And if we are to take your definition of visuals that only tech matters when deciding which game has the better visuals then are you honestly going to tell me a game like company of heroes is more deserving of votes that visually other games pale in comparasion to it? CoH was amazing when it came out but the game is 4 years old now its title for rts graphics king has long been handed down there are rts with far more detial like napoleon total war . I don't see why you would single sc2 as the only offender of this as compared to something like napoleon total war none of the games should be getting any votes there not as techincally advanced as that game

malebog123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 malebog123

[QUOTE="malebog123"][QUOTE="DJ_Headshot"]

DJ_Headshot

. Look, there is a fine line between liking a game, and LIKING a game TO SELF DELUSION. The poll clearly states, "Best RTS visuals to date" not "best artistic direction or best low tech looking game" Your logic is flawed, no one ever claimed starcraft 2 is ugly, but visually, it pales in comparison to some of the better looking games out there with far more detail. Try to think before you post.

Your confusing technical graphics with visuals which is a combination of art $tyle and the graphical tech. As for which game looks better visually to a person is highly subjective. And if we are to take your definition of visuals that only tech matters when deciding which game has the better visuals then are you honestly going to tell me a game like company of heroes is more deserving of votes that visually other games pale in comparasion to it? CoH was amazing when it came out but the game is 4 years old now its title for rts graphics king has long been handed down there are rts with far more detial like napoleon total war . I don't see why you would single sc2 as the only offender of this as compared to something like napoleon total war none of the games should be getting any votes there not as techincally advanced as that game

Fair enough, no need to take offence.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

What this poll ultimately shows it that Blizzard fans lack any sense of objectivity.

Look, two of my favorite games of all time are Fallout 1 & 2 and I pretty much loathe nearly every single aspect of Fallout 3 (my contempt for that game cannot be overstated) yet, even I can freely admit that Fallout 3 has the better graphics. See, it's not that hard being objective.

Unfortunately the votes in this poll are being split by those who can be objective and therefore the results are skewed in the direction of those who obviously can't.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
World in Conflict easily. The explosions look fantastic and like none I have ever seen in an RTS before. The game just looks amazing in motion.
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DJ_Headshot

LOL how is SC2 winning?

There must be some delusional fanboys around. While Starcraft 2 looks okay, compared to any of the games listed here it falls short. I swear people are voting SC2 because they want the game to be perfect at everything.

If I new how to display pics in my post I would pics up so everyone can see the clear differences

KeithFerns

Heres SC2

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/101805323-4.jpghttp://screenshot.xfire.com/s/101805394-4.jpghttp://screenshot.xfire.com/s/101932225-4.jpg

heres CoHhttp://www.leydigproject.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/company_of_heroes__opposing_fronts_.jpg

http://pressstartblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/city-battle.jpg

Heres World in Conflict which is still the king of massive explosions and destructiblility.

http://wicbase.com/show-wicpix,930.jpeg

Dawn of war 2

http://darkzero.co.uk/asset/2009/03/dawn-of-war-2-4.jpg

http://image.gamespotcdn.com/gamespot/images/2008/157/reviews/945727_20080606_screen004.jpg

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DJ_Headshot

And heres some ruse which as far as enviormential detial goes looks absolutly gorgeous and also some empire total war which has scale detail and explosions.

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/94472724-4.jpghttp://screenshot.xfire.com/s/94472623-4.jpg

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/empire__total_war_-_leipzig-pcscreenshots9479etw_announce01.jpghttp://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2009/03/empire-total-war-review/b04.jpg

KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

Anything made by Relic

strat505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 strat505
Member since 2006 • 1252 Posts

World in Conflict, easily.

Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

One of the Total War games.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

World in Conflict, no contest.Vfanek
This....what are you even talking about people? this poll is strictly about graphics, yet you're bringing feelings and animations into the discussion (about CoH), CoH looks like garbage, the terrain, no way it gets any graphics prize and the models are so plain and washed up compared to DoW 2 that improves the overall look of CoH it actually has decent terrain details, but none of those come even close to WiC.

For large scale battles TW: Napoleon I guess, I didn't play it but if it's the same as Empire or better then it wins.

Starcraft isn't anything amazing technically but it's by far the best when it comes to detail.

California74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 California74
Member since 2002 • 426 Posts

And heres some ruse which as far as enviormential detial goes looks absolutly gorgeous and also some empire total war which has scale detail and explosions.

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/94472724-4.jpghttp://screenshot.xfire.com/s/94472623-4.jpg

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/empire__total_war_-_leipzig-pcscreenshots9479etw_announce01.jpghttp://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2009/03/empire-total-war-review/b04.jpg

DJ_Headshot

what are the last 2 screenshots from?

Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
Empire Total War
Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

since when did TW series become RTS?

ventnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ventnor
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

R.U.S.E, sadly the game isn't nearly as good as the eyecandy.

Not to mention it will probaly have the horrible Ubisoft DRM

since when did TW series become RTS?

Postal_Guy

Uhh, since always? Just because there's a turn based map etc. the battles are still real time.

alexlmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 alexlmt
Member since 2006 • 418 Posts

Homeworld. Still looks amazing over a decade later.

dos4gw82
This. Seriously.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Dawn of War 2, Starcraft 2, and Napoleon Total War are the best looking strategy games. Dawn of War 2 though has the edge - it has less going on screen so it has room for its great models, FX, and physics.
lallous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 lallous
Member since 2004 • 60 Posts
One of the toughest polls to choose from ! All are awesome and have their own style.
rottencarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rottencarrot
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Other-> Empire: Total War
CDudu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CDudu
Member since 2007 • 694 Posts

WiC.

With DX10 l have never seen again shadows created by smoke :shock: .

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts
WiC - easy
ExESGO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ExESGO
Member since 2010 • 1895 Posts
For detail: Empire: Total War For explosions: World in Conflict For animations: Dawn of War 2
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts
[QUOTE="ExESGO"]For detail: Empire: Total War For explosions: World in Conflict For animations: Dawn of War 2

you forgot one - For outstanding visual design and superior animation: Starcraft 2
Resistance_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#50 Resistance_Kid
Member since 2009 • 1171 Posts

Total war is a turn based strategy game, not real time.

World in Conflict hands down.