Best selling games: Spore and Starcraft 2

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

User Lists: 0

#1 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

How well do you think these will sell?

I think they will sell more copies than any other game this year, including GTA: IV

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts
I hope they have a good anti-piracy thing on them and I hope they do sell well. I don't think they will reach GTA sales though
The_PC_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 The_PC_Gamer
Member since 2003 • 2910 Posts

Put together? probably.

On their own? Unlikely

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

I think they will sell more copies than any other game this year, including GTA: IV

biggest_loser

StarCraft 2, maybe. Spore, not a chance in hell. Spore is going to be a niche game.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

Johnny_Rock

StarCraft 2, maybe. Spore, not a chance in hell. Spore is going to be a niche game.

Nearly everyone who has played the Sims is going to go crazy over the game. It is such a casual game and those that were too young to play GTA: IV will be able to get it!!

Grim_Wolf88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Grim_Wolf88
Member since 2006 • 901 Posts
My only problem with Spore is going to be the SecuroRom thing and the fact that sim games don't hold my interest for long. Starcraft II is gonna be sweet though. I doubt either one will out sell other games though especially the likes of GTAIV.
BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BlueBirdTS
Member since 2005 • 6403 Posts

Starcraft II is definitely going to sell well, although not as well as most are expecting.

As for Spore...it could really go either way. I'm hoping the SecuROM isn't as bad as in Mass Effect.

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts

Starcraft 2 will sell a lot...Blizzard games always do.

Spore is a wild card.....it could go either way...I doubt it will be as succefull as the Sims (though we wont truly know for over a year after launch) but I do think it will sell several million fine.

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BlueBirdTS

Spore is a wild card.....it could go either way...I doubt it will be as succefull as the Sims (though we wont truly know for over a year after launch) but I do think it will sell several million fine.

cobrax75

I think Spore will end up being a game that sells well initially but will eventually be forgotten. I just can't see it taking off in the mainstream market like the Sims did.

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts
[QUOTE="cobrax75"]

BlueBirdTS

I think Spore will end up being a game that sells well initially but will eventually be forgotten. I just can't see it taking off in the mainstream market like the Sims did.

I can easily....the game has a lot of people excited....and not all of them gamers...the game was even featured in TIME...and from a game standpoint...its a lot more intresting than the Sims to most.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

I hope they have a good anti-piracy thing on them and I hope they do sell well. I don't think they will reach GTA sales thoughKez1984

why? they could have WTFpwnamazing anti piracy software, its still gonna be cracked in a matter of days, if not hours.

maartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 maartyr
Member since 2004 • 323 Posts

Starcraft 2 will sell A LOT of copies. Think about how many people loved starcraft one, you could almost call it a 'cult hit', there was a period where you didnt hear anything but starcraft.

Spore = meh, I've lost interest in the game, looks like it's going to be a lot more casual than it sounded when it was announced originally.

BlueBirdTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BlueBirdTS
[QUOTE="BlueBirdTS"][QUOTE="cobrax75"]

cobrax75

I can easily....the game has a lot of people excited....and not all of them gamers...the game was even featured in TIME...and from a game standpoint...its a lot more intresting than the Sims to most.

I agree. In fact, if you check my video profile, you can see that I made a video on Spore a few years ago. However, I think the Sims has a much more universal appeal. Although to you and I Spore is among our most highly anticipated games, I can't see a lot of older female gamers getting into Spore, and let's face it, it is this demographic that made the Sims so successful. I'm also skeptical about its long term appeal. Spore has a lot of potential, but I don't want to set my expecatations too high in case it ends up being "just another game".

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
you think they'll sell better than gta 4 for the pc or gta 4 for all platforms? cuz if you mean gta 4 for all platforms, i seriously doubt it. didn't gta 4 already sell close to 10 million copies? starcraft 2 will have done well to get to that landmark. spore could either be a huge hit or a big dud (for the hype it's getting, at least) - it's not certain at the moment which it will be. either way, it will sell well - just probably not gta 4 well.
gnmish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gnmish
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
You would think that being such a ground breaking concept Spore would sell tonnes and be immensely popular, but history has shown time and time again that gamers do not necessarily want new and ground breaking, what they want is FUN! If it happens to be groundbreaking too thats a plus. Anyone here old enough to remeber Black and White, or Black and White 2? They werent bad to play sandbox or single player, but lionhead spent so much time fiddling with AI that there wasnt much actual gameplay element in multiplayer, groundbreaking, but not fun :(
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 biggest_loser

You would think that being such a ground breaking concept Spore would sell tonnes and be immensely popular, but history has shown time and time again that gamers do not necessarily want new and ground breaking, what they want is FUN! If it happens to be groundbreaking too thats a plus. Anyone here old enough to remeber Black and White, or Black and White 2? They werent bad to play sandbox or single player, but lionhead spent so much time fiddling with AI that there wasnt much actual gameplay element in multiplayer, groundbreaking, but not fun :(gnmish

We're not talking about Black and White and Lionhead though...

We're talking about Maxis - the guys who made the sims remember? The most popular game of all time?

36O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 36O
Member since 2006 • 823 Posts

biggest_loser

Well spore will sell excellently because of a strong hardcore fanbase on it, and casual players who will probably stumble upon the interesting aspects of it. I expect it to sell very well, however most likely not aswell as the Sims because its far more appealing to the mainstream audience in comparison to "alien" constructing, controlling etc.

Starcraft II I also expect to sell fantastically as its fan-base is absolutely enormous ( proudly including me :D ), in South Korea alone it will probably become platinum in a matter of hours lol.

----

However piracy is always an issue :(

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

biggest_loser

Nearly everyone who has played the Sims is going to go crazy over the game. It is such a casual game and those that were too young to play GTA: IV will be able to get it!!

Casual game? You are raising a species from birth to interstellar travel... that doesn't sound like casual to me....

Kez1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Kez1984
Member since 2007 • 4548 Posts

[QUOTE="Kez1984"]I hope they have a good anti-piracy thing on them and I hope they do sell well. I don't think they will reach GTA sales thoughwarmaster670

why? they could have WTFpwnamazing anti piracy software, its still gonna be cracked in a matter of days, if not hours.

That's why I said "good", yes?

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Starcraft 2 will sell a bazillion copies. And it will sell more copies than GTA4 (world-wide).
TanKLoveR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TanKLoveR
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts
Well spore will sell excellently because of a strong hardcore fanbase on it, and casual players who will probably stumble upon the interesting aspects of it. I expect it to sell very well, however most likely not aswell as the Sims because its far more appealing to the mainstream audience in comparison to "alien" constructing, controlling etc.

Starcraft II I also expect to sell fantastically as its fan-base is absolutely enormous ( proudly including me :D ), in South Korea alone it will probably become platinum in a matter of hours lol.

----

However piracy is always an issue :(

36O

:lol: I bet ur right it will sell like 20 million copies in a day or so in S.Korea. I expect SC2 to sell extremely well it has a HUGE fanbase, ppl all over the world are going to run and get this the sec is released(including me).

Spore is somewhat of a wild card, it can be this huge thing like the sim's or ppl will just dont care about it :(, im somewhat excited about this game :) it looks really nice and very versatile.

I dont think Piracy will be a problem for SC2, the main focus of this game is the online and u cant play without a cdkey.

ravage19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ravage19
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts

Starcraft will sell more than GTAIV.

Spore wont sell to mutch.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
i don't think either of these games are going to sell more than GTA IV, GTA is too big a franchise and its on 2 platforms and may even come to pc. Spore as people said may be a hit or miss title but if spore gets the attention of casual gamers then spore and it's countless addons may sell as well as gta iv
Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts
I think Spore has a really good chance of being one of the best selling games this year, just because I believe it appeals to both hardcore and casual gamers. Starcraft 2 will sell well too I believe, but it won't beat Spore sales wise.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Just in korea starcraft will sell almost as much as GTAIV let alone worldwide. Huge fanbase including me are gonna buy starcraft.

Spore will sell good over a long period of time.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

I think Spore has a really good chance of being one of the best selling games this year, just because I believe it appeals to both hardcore and casual gamers. Starcraft 2 will sell well too I believe, but it won't beat Spore sales wise.Evz0rz

At this point, nobody even knows what Spore is. Everyone though knows about Starcraft 2, or atleast anyone who played the first.

ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ADG_
Member since 2003 • 1654 Posts
I hope they have a good anti-piracy thing on them and I hope they do sell well. Kez1984
I too hope they sell well, that is why I hope they wont have a good anti-piracy protection (By which I mean a copy protection that annoys legit users more than pirates... which is pretty much all copy protections there is*). There seems to be a "The better the protection, the worse it sells" trend going on! They should just make sure that you can't use the online features unless you have a valid key (games that needs a key to use online features sells MUCH better than games that doesn't) *With the exception of the above mention key for online features ;)
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

Johnny_Rock

Casual game? You are raising a species from birth to interstellar travel... that doesn't sound like casual to me....

And The Sims is a game where you design and build houses as well as guide several people through their lives. Spore is not exactly Civilization Redux - it's a very simple game with a focus on accessibility and fun. It is no less casual than The Sims.

Hell, the game is coming out on the Wii.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
deactivated-5b5d7639964d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
Member since 2008 • 8225 Posts
I have a feeling that Starcraft will only sell 2/3 as much as Spore.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I think Spore will sell more copies than StarCraft 2.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 biggest_loser

I think Spore will sell more copies than StarCraft 2.thusaha

In which country though? :P

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

biggest_loser

Haha,yeah right

They aren't console games, remember ?

Anyway, StarCraft 2 will outsell Spore by far

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 warmaster670
considering in ten years, starcraft hasnt even sold as many units as GTA4s shipped, i doubt it.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 biggest_loser

considering in ten years, starcraft hasnt even sold as many units as GTA4s shipped, i doubt it.warmaster670

Yeah notice the key word there "shipped"

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 warmaster670

[QUOTE="warmaster670"]considering in ten years, starcraft hasnt even sold as many units as GTA4s shipped, i doubt it.biggest_loser

Yeah notice the key word there "shipped"

hmm, lets see, GTA4 has sold 8.5 million since it came out a couple of months ago, stacraft hjas sold 9.5 million copies in ten years. ya my moneys still on no.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

biggest_loser

More then GTA??? That won't happen in a long shot, Every GTA game has sold at least 15 million and this one is on pace to break that mark, Starcraft 2 will sell around 3-5million this year, Spore I say around 1-1.5 million if both games have good anti piracy systems set up for them.

ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ADG_
Member since 2003 • 1654 Posts
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

Darth_Kane

Haha,yeah right

They aren't console games, remember ?

Anyway, StarCraft 2 will outsell Spore by far

Spore is sold on a large variety of consoles/handhelds AFAIK. Unless Spore is a huge letdown, I believe it'll sell more than Starcraft 2
xmen1414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 xmen1414
Member since 2006 • 1948 Posts

Star Craft 2 will get cancelled because it has been delayed for like years and it has bad graphics, form the released images, and the first game came out in like 1999,

Spore will do very bad.... it will fail..... it is a stupid game with no story and no gameplay , form what i read and have seen.... All you do it build things and and them live... boring..... also there is no fighting or anything. It might so good if you can like wage wars on different planets and blow thing up .... but from the E rating and clay graphics i don't see that happening....

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 biggest_loser

Star Craft 2 will get cancelled because it has been delayed for like years and it has bad graphics, form the released images, and the first game came out in like 1999,

xmen1414

No. Just no. The game will be be cancelled and its certified to be released very soon. You have only seen images, no actual game play, I think you're just hoping it will be cancelled.

All you do it build things and and them live... boring.....

xmen1414

They said the same thing about the Sims...

Look where thats at my friend.

xmen1414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 xmen1414
Member since 2006 • 1948 Posts
What ever you never know i might actually buy SC2 but there is no way i will buy spore!
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Wrath of the Lich King and Starcraft 2 will sell amazingly, but beating 3.6 million on day 1? doubful.

Spore, I hope spore does really well, I can see this appealing to a huge crowd, maybe not SIMS big ... but cmon, any age would like making "cute or badass" creatures, I can see this appealing to the female market aswell for that very reason, its cute, its not too serious.

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

One thing a lot of developers don't understand about PC sales is that they don't "burst" upon release, then inflate like a balloon. PC games are supposed to very slowly lose their sale rate.

Although, considering Crysis broke 2 million, in what, 4 months? With that sale rate, I doubt that the PC is going to be short of million-sellers anytime soon.

sergeantscul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 sergeantscul
Member since 2008 • 183 Posts
I dont think either will do THAT well. Theyll do good but GTA4, GOW2 and other games will/are doing better.
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts

I dont think either will do THAT well. Theyll do good but GTA4, GOW2 and other games will/are doing better.sergeantscul

there's no way gears of war 2 will do better than starcraft 2. gears 1 sold under 5 million; i doubt that gears 2 will do as well, now that the novelty has worn off a bit. starcraft has sold nearly 10 million copies; i think starcraft 2 will match it at the least, since it's been over 10 years and people have been awaiting a sequel for all those years.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

How many people are in South Korea?

Because that's how many copies Starcraft 2 is gonna sell :P

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#46 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Starcraft 2 will sell in massive numbers.

Spore.. well, its a new concept so some people will go buy it cause they can't wait and others will hold off for reviews and peoples comments to see if it lived up to expectations.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#47 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Securerom isn't a freaking problem, wow. Spore will sell more than StarCraft, and probably more than GTAIV. Low system requirements + sim heritage = $$$. Spore sales will blow your mind.
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

Securerom isn't a freaking problem, wow. Spore will sell more than StarCraft, and probably more than GTAIV. Low system requirements + sim heritage = $$$. Spore sales will blow your mind.Staryoshi87

If Spore DOESNT sell well, we can all expect Wll Wright to claim Pc gaming is dying and it was piracy's fault.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

[QUOTE="Staryoshi87"]Securerom isn't a freaking problem, wow. Spore will sell more than StarCraft, and probably more than GTAIV. Low system requirements + sim heritage = $$$. Spore sales will blow your mind.kieranb2000

If Spore DOESNT sell well, we can all expect Wll Wright to claim Pc gaming is dying and it was piracy's fault.

Yeah pretty much.

w4rgasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#50 w4rgasm
Member since 2005 • 1253 Posts
I doubt they will sell as much as GTAIV combined because they are on one platform, while GTAIV spanned on 2 platforms.