Are you all over-reacting to Ubisoft's new DRM? Yes, yes you are.

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dernor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Dernor
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Well, it seems like a tendency in a gaming world to implement DRM in any form now... The developers are trying to protect their property, but mostly they don't think of usability after these implementations... That is not good. I don't see a point of buying a "box game" that requires internet connection to play... I'd better play free-to-play MMO using the same internet connection and have more fun then playing something which is DRM protected
Avatar image for spiderman120988
spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#52 spiderman120988
Member since 2005 • 1421 Posts
All right, so let's try to turn this thread around. If YOU were Ubisoft (or any other game company)...what would you do in terms of DRM for PC games? Would you implement something similar to EA or have nothing at all?
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#53 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
shh, ea will hear you and use that crap in their next game.
Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#54 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
I have a pretty stable connection. However. I'll still stay away from games implemented with this system.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17888 Posts
All right, so let's try to turn this thread around. If YOU were Ubisoft (or any other game company)...what would you do in terms of DRM for PC games? Would you implement something similar to EA or have nothing at all?spiderman120988
Cd checks, online registration and activation, steam....basically something that is not as intrusive as this. its not bullet proof (no DRM is)....it will be cracked but it will at least cause some hassle. hell what about a system where by the CD only contains the art assets and audio and the code/executable files are stored on a server. so when you go to install it..you register it and, using your code and a combination of your OS and hardware or something, the server generates and encodes source files specific to your PC. so even if you upload your files to someone else...they will be useless unless they have the exact same hardware and cd key as you do. source/executable files are relatively small in size but a game cant work without them. let a user unregister a game for that PC if they need to change their hardware and give them a few unlocks. nicer system imho.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

so when you go to install it..you register it and, using your code and a combination of your OS and hardware or something, the server generates and encodes source files specific to your PC. so even if you upload your files to someone else...they will be useless unless they have the exact same hardware and cd key as you do. source/executable files are relatively small in size but a game cant work without them. let a user unregister a game for that PC if they need to change their hardware and give them a few unlocks. nicer system imho. osan0

I have vague memories of such DRM being proposed a few years ago. It was something about the series of your motherboard IIRC...

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 dakan45

[QUOTE="spiderman120988"]

Will it be cracked? I have no doubt that it will be but its not going to be today or tomorrow. Ubisoft's DRM WORKED. The only people playing are the people who payed for the game.

Darkchaoss

You posted this March 19th. Today is March 20th, and the game has been cracked.

You win, good sir.

lol Epic win.
Suffca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Suffca
Member since 2008 • 666 Posts

The only problem I have with this DRM is if the Ubisoft servers are down and I'm not able to play.

Spewaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Spewaged
Member since 2010 • 68 Posts
Hackers will adapt to this DRM, as they have with all new forms of DRM.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
You know, I don't think Ubisoft are gaining anything at the moment... - hackers will be pissed off and not buy the game anyways - customers will be pissed off about the draconian DRM, some may not buy it (myself being one of those) In the end, Ubisoft is spending a ton of money on the DRM, pissing off the hackers and some customers, and that's about it. Maybe in the distant future where ridiculous DRM is more widely accepted, they might start benefiting. But for now, they're just pissing everyone off.
Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#63 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it to be honest, the only people that are complaining are the ones that won't be able to pirate the games, me i already bought Assassin's Creed II and i haven't had a single problem with it.DaRockWilder
The Gamespot review of Asssassin's Creed 2 complained about the DRM. But then, you weren't actually thinking when you wrote that, were you? Pirates do not complain about copy protection, because the cracked versions they play do not have any.
Avatar image for RichardStallman
RichardStallman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 RichardStallman
Member since 2009 • 1233 Posts

Um also how come their hasn't been any flak fired EA's way yet? They're doing the same thing with CnC4 and quite possibly future PC releases.

the_mitch28
C&C 4 was already cracked FYI.
Crucifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Crucifier
Member since 2002 • 7195 Posts
i like how everyone is saying its the pirates' fault, yet they are the only people who are playing the game when the ubi servers are down. this drom does nothing positive. i would have bought AC2 if it didnt have this drm, but not i wont even touch it.
Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#68 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 845 Posts

First off I don't like the DRM. However Ubisoft has patched it so when you get disconnected you play from the spot you got disconnected. The pirates have not cracked it therefore Ubisoft has won.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts

First off I don't like the DRM. However Ubisoft has patched it so when you get disconnected you play from the spot you got disconnected. The pirates have not cracked it therefore Ubisoft has won.

Realmjumper
Read a few posts up.
rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

[QUOTE="Darkchaoss"]

[QUOTE="spiderman120988"]

Will it be cracked? I have no doubt that it will be but its not going to be today or tomorrow. Ubisoft's DRM WORKED. The only people playing are the people who payed for the game.

dakan45

You posted this March 19th. Today is March 20th, and the game has been cracked.

You win, good sir.

lol Epic win.

No, it is epic loose for you and the guy who said the Ubi's DRM has been cracked...Ofc to back up what i said with arguments(not to spread misinformation's like you guys) i can pm anyone who doubts what i said with link to the biggest forum for cracked games in the universe(and not only to this forum) where scene cracked games first appear(1.5 mil. users)....ummm better yet iam not going to give anyone no link coz i dont want to promote that site...but ill upload pics from the "sticky" that they have on the front page where they inform people that the game is not cracked up to this date 21.03.2010...

Anyhow...i see that a lot of dudes use the sentence "Ubi screwed pc gamers"...you people dont know the meaning of the word "screwed"...in order to be screwed by someone,it imply that this someone would of made an early arrangement with you and he broke that arrangement somehow...so is nonsense to say that Ubi screwed pc gamers...

And another thing...Ubisoft,EA,R*,THQ,Eidos,Capcom etc...dosent care about me or u...you think anyone will give a crap about ur opinion as long as you arent even their costumer?...and yes,99% of the people that complains about this drm arent even Ubisoft costumers...no one cares that "you"dont like this drm,add that to the fact that "your" not even their client...they dosent know "you" exist no matter how harder you will troll the forums.

About the "i travel much and iam playing games on my laptop so i dont have a constant internet connection...or i dont have an internet connection at all".

WHO CARES???Do you think Ubisoft didnt considered this before launching this DRM?They did... but also in their judgment they didnt included "you" as their "potential costumer" in purpose...Ubisoft dosent target the section of the PC gamers that dosent have internet,period.None of us where borne with the constitutional right to play single player games on pc without internet connection...and Ubisoft dosent owe something or anything to PC gamers,period.

P.S. I'am in no way intending to promote links to pirate forums and such,here on GS forums...but i think every one of us should have the decency to first inform themselves before trying to "inform" others...

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

I wouldn't say that I'm overreacting. I'm just choosing to not buy single player games that require an internet connection at installation, or thereafter. It's just a choice.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#72 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
DRM loses more customers than it brings back. It's a poor business decision.
Bedizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Bedizen
Member since 2009 • 2576 Posts

I won't be buying another Ubisoft PC game as there are time when I don't have a reliable internet connection which makes any Ubisoft PC game unplayable.

Mist3rBungle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Mist3rBungle
Member since 2010 • 66 Posts

I don't know why companies like EA or Ubisoft release DRM. Even if they make the most powerful DRM ever, pirates will always find a way for crack it and put the game on torrent sites. The DRM is supposed to stop pirates but that doesn't work so why continue doing that? The loyal consumers are the ones who must endure the DRM meanwhile pirates and people that download from torrents are quite happy playing a game that they didn't pay a penny for use it and don't have DRM. Miroku32

But the game hasn't been cracked yet. So it is working to stop pirates from stealing the game.

fm_coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 fm_coyote
Member since 2003 • 952 Posts

Here's an interesting read from YouGamers' review of Assassin's Creed II on the PC: http://www.yougamers.com/reviews/27485_assassins_creed_ii-page5/

The reviewer says the following: "Okay, so you may now expect me to start ripping apart the "horrendous" and "anti-consumer" DRM system that Ubisoft has devised and included with Assassin's Creed II, Silent Hunter 5 and all announced upcoming Ubi PC releases. I'm not going to do so and I actually applaud UbiSoft for going with the system."

Look, a lot of you are saying that its going to be cracked and that it has but the truth is that it HAS NOT be cracked and it seems unlikely that it will be anytime soon. Another quote: "Assuming UbiSoft has actually done their homework and this is really the case - key parts of the game logic running on the server side - the system may be impossible to crack without completely reverse-engineering the server side code and doing it without any access to it. Good luck with that."

Also, please stop saying the pirates are heroes. They are the ones causing this mess anyway. In any case, please feel feel to insult me now and call me a Ubisoft tool! =D

spiderman120988
I direct your attention here sir: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98927-Ubisoft-DRM-Authentication-Servers-Go-Down If a consumer pays for a product, they should have access to it at ALL times, simple as that. I was waiting to get AC2 on PC instead of my 360, and I was rather looking forward to it. However, if I ran into a case where I was disconnected or whatnot, and could not play something I've paid for, then I'd be totally pissed, so I avoided it all together. So as for, and I quote "The only people playing are the people who payed for the game." that isn't always the case.. sometimes they aren't playing either.
StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts

[QUOTE="Miroku32"]I don't know why companies like EA or Ubisoft release DRM. Even if they make the most powerful DRM ever, pirates will always find a way for crack it and put the game on torrent sites. The DRM is supposed to stop pirates but that doesn't work so why continue doing that? The loyal consumers are the ones who must endure the DRM meanwhile pirates and people that download from torrents are quite happy playing a game that they didn't pay a penny for use it and don't have DRM. Mist3rBungle

But the game hasn't been cracked yet. So it is working to stop pirates from stealing the game.

But are they buying it? I'm fairly certain that they didn't implement the DRM just for the principle of the matter. Okay, it's stopping pirates from playing the game illegally. It's also stopping some would-be customers from buying it. I have no idea how many, but there are certainly some. Rest assured that mostly all the powers that be at Ubisoft care about with regards to implementing some DRM scheme is whether or not it amounts to a net gain in their finances, and that is contingent upon how many would-be pirates actually did or will buy the game.

One thing that goes without saying is that not every pirated copy is a loss. I'm not trying to justify piracy here, but to again state the obvious, the reason people pirate games is that they have limited funds, and the people who are out there pirating every AAA title that comes down the pipeline - were they going to buy all of those games if the ability to pirate them didn't exist? No, of course not, because the ability to get them free eliminates the need to be selective about their purchases. My point is that there is definitely not a 1 to 1 correlation of pirated copies to lost sales, and just to pull out random numbers, with the number of big name titles that are released these days, I'd probably be surprised if in general it was even 5 to 1.

Now here is the real mindbender: A lot of legitimate potential customers don't like the DRM. It stands to reason that a lot of the pirates also don't like the DRM. Well, duh, but what I mean is that not currently being able to pirate the game isn't the ONLY reason they don't like it. They also aren't going to like it for the same reason some legitimate would-be customers don't like. In other words, if people who DON'T PIRATE GAMES are not buying the game because of the DRM, then obviously there are would-be pirates who are not going to buy the game BECAUSE OF THE DRM, and by that I mean that they find the DRM annoying beyond the fact that it (temporarily, in all likelihood) prevents them from pirating the game. Well, yes, that's silly, because without any DRM they also were not going to buy it, but you see, then those particular people are irrelevant in terms of sales. They not only lose a percentage of people who would have bought the game, but some number of pirates who might have been discouraged from piracy by a more traditional DRM scheme and bought the game now also are not going to buy the game.

So, I don't know if this DRM is good business sense on Ubisoft's part of not. I don't have the numbers and it's hard to know what they would have been if they had gone the other route. I just thought these were some interesting points to ponder.

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
This is odd. I could have sworn that the Ubsoft DRM was cracked on day one..no?
rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 rhazzy

[QUOTE="Mist3rBungle"]

[QUOTE="Miroku32"]I don't know why companies like EA or Ubisoft release DRM. Even if they make the most powerful DRM ever, pirates will always find a way for crack it and put the game on torrent sites. The DRM is supposed to stop pirates but that doesn't work so why continue doing that? The loyal consumers are the ones who must endure the DRM meanwhile pirates and people that download from torrents are quite happy playing a game that they didn't pay a penny for use it and don't have DRM. StopThePresses

But are they buying it? I'm fairly certain that they didn't implement the DRM just for the principle of the matter. Okay, it's stopping pirates from playing the game illegally. It's also stopping some would-be customers from buying it. I have no idea how many, but there are certainly some. Rest assured that mostly all the powers that be at Ubisoft care about with regards to implementing some DRM scheme is whether or not it amounts to a net gain in their finances, and that is contingent upon how many would-be pirates actually did or will buy the game.

One thing that goes without saying is that not every pirated copy is a loss. I'm not trying to justify piracy here, but to again state the obvious, the reason people pirate games is that they have limited funds, and the people who are out there pirating every AAA title that comes down the pipeline - were they going to buy all of those games if the ability to pirate them didn't exist? No, of course not, because the ability to get them free eliminates the need to be selective about their purchases. My point is that there is definitely not a 1 to 1 correlation of pirated copies to lost sales, and just to pull out random numbers, with the number of big name titles that are released these days, I'd probably be surprised if in general it was even 5 to 1.

Now here is the real mindbender: A lot of legitimate potential customers don't like the DRM. It stands to reason that a lot of the pirates also don't like the DRM. Well, duh, but what I mean is that not currently being able to pirate the game isn't the ONLY reason they don't like it. They also aren't going to like it for the same reason some legitimate would-be customers don't like. In other words, if people who DON'T PIRATE GAMES are not buying the game because of the DRM, then obviously there are would-be pirates who are not going to buy the game BECAUSE OF THE DRM, and by that I mean that they find the DRM annoying beyond the fact that it (temporarily, in all likelihood) prevents them from pirating the game. Well, yes, that's silly, because without any DRM they also were not going to buy it, but you see, then those particular people are irrelevant in terms of sales. They not only lose a percentage of people who would have bought the game, but some number of pirates who might have been discouraged from piracy by a more traditional DRM scheme and bought the game now also are not going to buy the game.

So, I don't know if this DRM is good business sense on Ubisoft's part of not. I don't have the numbers and it's hard to know what they would have been if they had gone the other route. I just thought these were some interesting points to ponder.

Dude...Ur post is one of the most logical/sane ived seen on GS forums about the whole DRM thing....

You are absolutely right,it all comes down to money!!!We can only calculate the success of this DRM in terms of sellings...

But Ubisoft thought of this DRM business on long term...Its like this: every pirate is used to playing games for free...they dont even conceded that there would be games that they cant play,they take cracked games for granted...but what happens if this DRM will last for years?the notion of "i play every game i want for free" will disappear...mentality's will be changed...the pirates will loose the conception of "i play every game i want for free" and it will become "i play only some games for free,some of the games i really like i must pay for them"....we will only see the results of this DRM(regarding piracy) in a few years,assuming that it dosent gets cracked :D

P.S. Not all of the pirates are notorious pirates...some of them own many legal games...but how can someone resist to the temptation of knowing that you can play every game you want for free?many of the today's pirates are pirates by commodity...if the games they would want to play wouldnt be avaible as cracked vers. anymore they will go and buy it in the very next second.I check from time to time(since this whole DRM madness started) some of the most "important" forums with cracked games just to stay informed and on every single freakin' topic about AC2 there are people who say "i couldnt resist anymore,i bought the game" or "iam going to buy this game i cant resisit anymore"(i.e On a topic with 350+ pages,on every page there is one or two guys who said that either they will buy the game or either that they bought it already)

So yes the DRM turns those pirates(pirate by commodity)in to legit costumers...

teardropmina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 teardropmina
Member since 2006 • 2806 Posts

C&C 4 was cracked already. UBIsoft's DRM, however, is still working...maybe indeed uncrackable. who knows.

some legit buyers of SH5 seem to provide a way to go around the DRM and their posts were constantly deleted by UBI.

now AC2 is still pretty much out of pirate's reach.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Interesting, though as far as the gaming press goes, I think YouGamers might be in the minority. My monitoring on this story through various sources has found that Gamespy, Kotaku, Ars Technica, Rock Paper Shotgun, PC Gamer UK and even Gamespot have all reacted negatively to this DRM. IGN sort of sat on the fence. Also overwhelmingly negative are gamers' reaction at the aforementioned sites, as well as Ubisoft's own official forums. Which brings me to this point. YouGamers aside, it is clear this DRM has gotten off to a rocky start with the majority of the gaming press and public, and over-reaction or not, it's highly unlikely that Ubisoft's reputation has escaped untarnished from this. It will be interesting to see if Ubisoft consider the damage to their image to be a price worth paying for an apparently so far pirate-proof DRM, and what they might do differently (or not) in future releases with this DRM. Hmm, I think I might ask them.madrocketeer

Why should they act positive? These are sites for the CONSUMER.. Not the PUBLISHER.. Any form of DRM is going to be negative towards the CONSUMER simply due to the fact that it was never meant for them, and it can still impede in the game experience.

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 rhazzy

@rhazzy Cehck this out: [QUOTE="bobssc"]

[QUOTE="scoots9"]

sorry mate, but the DRM didn't work. Play up to the part where it stops working, then get a save from just after that point. works like a charm apparently.

dakan45

You dont even have to do that.

It is totally cracked from beginning to end..

LOL @ Ubisoft's DRM.. cant even make it un-pirateable..

Now type a wall of text again if you wish but honestly i dont care. Most importantly i could care less for assasin creed 2. The only thing i care is that they either disable the drm on splinter cell or they make a ps3 version. Worst case scenario if i find myself being unable to play it in the future, i use a crack. Sad? Yeah but so is not bein able to play because ubisoft does has server issues for whatever reason.

Thats why no one pay attention to ur posts evar :D...thats why everyone who you cross opinions with is making fun of you(and i saw alot of ur past posts where everyone was mocking you)ur irrelevant in every single post u wrote.You give me quotes from some random dudes who dosent back up what they say...irrelevant.By the way did i told you that that ived driven a car from Paris to Mosscow using only my feets and i got there in 30 min.?If someone sayz something it is equal to 0 if they dosent back that up with facts or logical arguments.

And stop hiding the fact that ur a pirate...everyone can tell that,You just want this DRM out because you want to play AC2 for free thats the only reason...in all ur post about Ubi's DRm you didnt gave any logical/sane argument ...not a single one!!!How do you expect to be taken seriously??

Now this is the last time ill reply to you...unless ur comments will have a bit of logical sense in them.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"]@rhazzy Cehck this out: [QUOTE="bobssc"]

rhazzy

Now type a wall of text again if you wish but honestly i dont care. Most importantly i could care less for assasin creed 2. The only thing i care is that they either disable the drm on splinter cell or they make a ps3 version. Worst case scenario if i find myself being unable to play it in the future, i use a crack. Sad? Yeah but so is not bein able to play because ubisoft does has server issues for whatever reason.

Thats why no one pay attention to ur posts evar :D...thats why everyone who you cross opinions with is making fun of you(and i saw alot of ur past posts where everyone was mocking you)ur irrelevant in every single post u wrote.You give me quotes from some random dudes who dosent back up what they say...irrelevant.By the way did i told you that that ived driven a car from Paris to Mosscow using only my feets and i got there in 30 min.?If someone sayz something it is equal to 0 if they dosent back that up with facts or logical arguments.

And stop hiding the fact that ur a pirate...everyone can tell that,You just want this DRM out because you want to play AC2 for free thats the only reason...in all ur post about Ubi's DRm you didnt gave any logical/sane argument ...not a single one!!!How do you expect to be taken seriously??

Now this is the last time ill reply to you...unless ur comments will have a bit of logical sense in them.

:roll: First of all your random post about everyone and opinions is wrong and insulting also thats how everyone things about you right now with you unstopable effort to defend ubisoft crap. With the same way you think everyone is perceiving your posts, with exactly the same way they perceive yours. Making a point or not depends on whow the other peiceve the facts you pose. For example no matter what i say no matter how much you say that the game has not been cracked, people will keep telling you that it has been cracked. Therefore your facts and random wall of texts count to nothing to everyone. Also no the other users wont back up their statements just to start a long discussion with you. There is no point to do so. Also dont call me a pirate because it pisses me off and i find insulting. Even on that you are wrong since i made clear that i dotn give a damn about AC2 when the game gets really cheap perhaps i get it for ps3, since i dont care much about the game anyway. The reason it pisses me off is because i dont wanna see feature ubisoft releases using that crap. For example splinter cell conviction a game that i am actually interested is using that drm. I am not buying this crap, but ubisoft has screwed me up in major way this time since there is no ps3 version for the game and now i dont know what to do. So here i am trying to figure out what to do and i go you to give crap explanations and ask me to make valid/sane arguments and such. I am sorry but i am done arguing with people on stuff we never gonna agree, for sometime now i have stopped caring about endless arguments that why i dropped the other thread about skidrow and ubi and let you guys continue the argument to almost 180 posts in that thread. Besides if i was a pirate right now i wouldnt have to complain about anything since i would actually be able to play the game and i wouldnt give a damn about ubisoft antipiracy methods since everything is cracked in the end. So why i would complain about that? You know what your real problem is? Your problem is that you think pirates complain because it cant be cracked but the truth is that consumers complain because it hurts them more than stopping piracy. Thats your proble, and i dont understand why you care so much. Honestly i don't care anymore.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="dakan45"]@rhazzy Cehck this out: [QUOTE="bobssc"]

rhazzy

:| Oh I see so every one who is against DRM's that can impede my games I purchased for full price as a pirate? Now your being illogical.. Not to mention DRM costs millions to develope and use, if stopping from using this would lower the retail costs of the game.. I would be all for it.. IF ANYTHING, every one should be against DRM.. As a loyal purchaser, a game you spent your cash on.. You can be sidelined by DRM that should have nothing to do with you afterall you legally purchased the game.. But many things like the old time Starforce.. Or the obnoxious install limits some of the games have now, where if my hard drive goes down I lose 1 of my very limited installs..

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 dakan45
I had a problem with my pc once and i lost many installs that i couldnt deauthorize because of my pc had hardware issues. Thats why i believe install limits and such are not a right move for the pc. What if i find myself on a problem with my pc? Do i have to worry about "vitrual" install limits? Anyway that was my complain back in the day. Glad i solved it out by contacting the companies.
Avatar image for deactivated-64d27c2aa0f24
deactivated-64d27c2aa0f24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 deactivated-64d27c2aa0f24
Member since 2010 • 28 Posts
I think companies are going in the wrong direction regarding DRM. No matter how many times they repeat it, pirating a game is not like stealing a car. You see, unlike what happens with cars, in the game world it does not matter how many people are playing the game for free. The only thing that matters is how many people are actually buying the game. Therefore, companies should focus their efforts on maximizing sales, not on minimizing piracy. It is all about selling more, not about engaging in a crusade against pirates just for pride. As a matter of fact, piracy reduction might come as a side effect to an effective sales maximization strategy. Now, DRM does not help increase sales. I do not think it affects negatively either, since in general most people will still buy a crippled game even if they are later pissed off by some DRM issue. And DRM also has little effect on piracy, since every last game is cracked sooner or later, and once cracked it is very easy to download and play. So, DRM neither helps increase sales nor helps against piracy. However, it adds limitations to those who buy the game and, in its most intrusive forms, adds elements that might fail at some point (registration servers and the like). That is why DRM should be absolutely removed or limited to its most simple and unintrusive forms. Moreover, sometimes I am under the impression that there is a hidden face about DRM, one that they do not tell as about, and that probably has little to do with piracy. I am talking about second hand market. DRM is crap that we legitimate players get, while pirates laugh out loud. My two cents.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

How about the cash rotation inside the industry, hmm? Securom is made by Sony, Tages and Starforce once ruled the European market... Tages is on the brink of bankrupcy now, but Starforce is still going strong in the East.

I think it's quite obvious many DRM solutions aren't only made to protect games, but they're another way of easily making money and monopolising a market. They're a complimentary product, much like middleware.

And of course, they're also used to limit the US fair use concept.

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 rhazzy

You know what your real problem is? Your problem is that you think pirates complain because it cant be cracked but the truth is that consumers complain because it hurts them more than stopping piracy. Thats your proble, and i dont understand why you care so much. Honestly i don't care anymore.dakan45

I'am only going to answer to the part of ur post that i consider to have a bit of logic in it...

"Consumer complain" imply that the guy who complain to actually own a copy of the game...if you complain without owning that product is not consumer complain...coz in the case of this DRM 99% of the people that complain about it dosent own it.Next time you want to bring something to the table do some research,inform yourself before trying to "inform" others...Other than that ur post is irrelevant from the beginning to the end...and also ilogical and full of nonsense.

YOU DONT KNOW WHY I CARE SO MUCH?LOL...Ask yourself why YOU "cared" in the first place and whatever answer you can came up with can be applied in my case too...geezzz.

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 rhazzy

How about the cash rotation inside the industry, hmm? Securom is made by Sony, Tages and Starforce once ruled the European market... Tages is on the brink of bankrupcy now, but Starforce is still going strong in the East.

I think it's quite obvious many DRM solutions aren't only made to protect games, but they're another way of easily making money and monopolising a market. They're a complimentary product, much like middleware.

And of course, they're also used to limit the US fair use concept.

Baranga

Yes thats a good point...but is not the ONLY reason why....

"I think it's quite obvious many DRM solutions aren't only made to protect games," - 100% true...but in the end it all comes down to protecting their products nothing more...and if by protecting ur product mens making more money then ur whole post is 100% true.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 dakan45
^I am just gonna point you to the gamespot review which simply says everything. Now that this argument is over, i will take my leave.
rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 rhazzy

^I am just gonna point you to the gamespot review which simply says everything. Now that this argument is over, i will take my leave.dakan45

That point will make great sense to the ones who actually care about GS reviews and give a crap about them...

P.S.Try harder next time.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I wont try to over-react. I have a high speed internet connection, and it is always on no matter what i do anyway. On the odd times my internet connection has failed, ( after a huge storm or similar disaster ), i can live without playing my game for a couple of days. No, it is not right that i can not play MY game in those situations, but i understand why this has occured. That said, i will probably only buy the console version of these games to avoid the situation all together. If you game only on the PC, then you well know how bad pirating has become and this is now the price pc gamers, legit or not, have to pay. Get use to it, or move on to another platform or hobby.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="dakan45"]^I am just gonna point you to the gamespot review which simply says everything. Now that this argument is over, i will take my leave.rhazzy

That point will make great sense to the ones who actually care about GS reviews and give a crap about them...

P.S.Try harder next time.

A game review is a game review, DRM is DRM, it has nothing to do with how good the GS game reviews are. You don't have to care about their reviews, and they have no "subjective" view on the DRM, it's all objective, they had problems, you shouldn't have such problems with a singleplayer game, therefore it's broken and does not work. There is nothing logical in these problems they're having and you shouldn't even imagine in your worst days/nightmares the possibility of Russians attacking their servers blocking you out of your purely singleplayer game.

Try harder next time...

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 rhazzy

I wont try to over-react. I have a high speed internet connection, and it is always on no matter what i do anyway. On the odd times my internet connection has failed, ( after a huge storm or similar disaster ), i can live without playing my game for a couple of days. No, it is not right that i can not play MY game in those situations, but i understand why this has occured. That said, i will probably only buy the console version of these games to avoid the situation all together. If you game only on the PC, then you well know how bad pirating has become and this is now the price pc gamers, legit or not, have to pay. Get use to it, or move on to another platform or hobby.

Videodogg

True,true and true.

Exactly what this dudes cannot understand...they think Ubisoft have signed some international law that force them to make games on the PC however the pc gamers wanna...and they also live with the idea that Ubisoft owe them something...

You dont want to play the pc version of AC2 from various motives,thats fine....you can always buy a console or try another hobby.

DabsTight703

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#97 DabsTight703
Member since 2008 • 1966 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it to be honest, the only people that are complaining are the ones that won't be able to pirate the games, me i already bought Assassin's Creed II and i haven't had a single problem with it.DaRockWilder
You miss the point. There are people that have a legit copy and are experiencing problems. That is unfair to them and to use pirating as a reason is just stupid on Ubi's part. They couldn't even keep their website from being hacked.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
[QUOTE="-CheeseEater-"]This is odd. I could have sworn that the Ubsoft DRM was cracked on day one..no?

Pretty close. I heard rumors, but they were only just confirmed...
whackedjob213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#99 whackedjob213
Member since 2006 • 2103 Posts

The game at some point will be cracked it might take a while like Bioshock did. Once that happens the DRM will not affect the pirates and will only affect the legit consumers who paid full price for this. If the servers go down, the consumers get screwed while the pirates can keep playing. That is why most DRM annoys me, it always will get cracked and only the people who paid for the game get affected.