Are you all over-reacting to Ubisoft's new DRM? Yes, yes you are.

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for spiderman120988
spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 0

#1 spiderman120988
Member since 2005 • 1421 Posts

Here's an interesting read from YouGamers' review of Assassin's Creed II on the PC: http://www.yougamers.com/reviews/27485_assassins_creed_ii-page5/

The reviewer says the following: "Okay, so you may now expect me to start ripping apart the "horrendous" and "anti-consumer" DRM system that Ubisoft has devised and included with Assassin's Creed II, Silent Hunter 5 and all announced upcoming Ubi PC releases. I'm not going to do so and I actually applaud UbiSoft for going with the system."

Look, a lot of you are saying that its going to be cracked and that it has but the truth is that it HAS NOT be cracked and it seems unlikely that it will be anytime soon. Another quote: "Assuming UbiSoft has actually done their homework and this is really the case - key parts of the game logic running on the server side - the system may be impossible to crack without completely reverse-engineering the server side code and doing it without any access to it. Good luck with that."

Will it be cracked? I have no doubt that it will be but its not going to be today or tomorrow. Ubisoft's DRM WORKED. The only people playing are the people who payed for the game.

Also, please stop saying the pirates are heroes. They are the ones causing this mess anyway. In any case, please feel feel to insult me now and call me a Ubisoft tool! =D

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
i would post a picture on how i feel about this, but it isnt worth getting moddded.
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
Ubisoft's DRM WORKED. The only people playing are the people who payed for the game.spiderman120988
Hell yeah! In fact it worked so well people that paid for it couldn't even play the game. :roll:
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

[QUOTE="spiderman120988"]Ubisoft's DRM WORKED. The only people playing are the people who payed for the game.CellAnimation
Hell yeah! In fact it worked so well people that paid for it couldn't even play the game. :roll:

Yeah I know. Ubi loyalists will say only 5% were affected as if it is alright that Ubisoft goes up to one in five and slaps their face after taking $60.

denter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 denter21
Member since 2003 • 1283 Posts
The only UBI game I've ever enjoyed was the original Far Cry, the rest are crap.
the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

I wonder how many people actually bought the game though.... Personally I don't think their games will sell as well compared to if they had no drm.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PublicNuisance

The only UBI game I've ever enjoyed was the original Far Cry, the rest are crap.denter21

They didn't even develop that, only published it.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PublicNuisance

I wonder how many people actually bought the game though.... Personally I don't think their games will sell as well compared to if they had no drm.

the_mitch28

If there is a God or karma they will flop but so many people just don't care that they are being slapped around.

Super-Trooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Super-Trooper
Member since 2004 • 1591 Posts

To OP: You're entitled and allowed to you're own opinion but so are other people

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

Ubi loyalists will say only 5% were affected as if it is alright that Ubisoft goes up to one in five and slaps their face after taking $60.

PublicNuisance

*One in twenty. Couldn't help it :oops:

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PublicNuisance

[QUOTE="PublicNuisance"]

Ubi loyalists will say only 5% were affected as if it is alright that Ubisoft goes up to one in five and slaps their face after taking $60.

True_Sounds

*One in twenty. Couldn't help it :oops:

I stand corrected. Still sucks to be that one person knowing you paid $60 to get screwed.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#12 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
Interesting, though as far as the gaming press goes, I think YouGamers might be in the minority. My monitoring on this story through various sources has found that Gamespy, Kotaku, Ars Technica, Rock Paper Shotgun, PC Gamer UK and even Gamespot have all reacted negatively to this DRM. IGN sort of sat on the fence. Also overwhelmingly negative are gamers' reaction at the aforementioned sites, as well as Ubisoft's own official forums. Which brings me to this point. YouGamers aside, it is clear this DRM has gotten off to a rocky start with the majority of the gaming press and public, and over-reaction or not, it's highly unlikely that Ubisoft's reputation has escaped untarnished from this. It will be interesting to see if Ubisoft consider the damage to their image to be a price worth paying for an apparently so far pirate-proof DRM, and what they might do differently (or not) in future releases with this DRM. Hmm, I think I might ask them.
TectonicTm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TectonicTm
Member since 2006 • 145 Posts

Hey even if this system did work. Im not buying it because it's unreasonable. I understand having to verify you're playing a legit copy when you start the gamebut this having to be online 24/7? No thanks. So it works? Yes. Me buying? No

ralph2190

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ralph2190
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts

I agree that it's a good system that ubi implemented to keep the pirates at bay. Now if they would only make it less annoying to people who purchased the game then it won't be so bad.

DaRockWilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaRockWilder
Member since 2002 • 5451 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it to be honest, the only people that are complaining are the ones that won't be able to pirate the games, me i already bought Assassin's Creed II and i haven't had a single problem with it.
StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts
As Jeff Gerstmann said on the Giant Bombcast, if this is where they are going to draw the line then they should just stop putting out games on the PC altogether, and I'm inclined to agree. They really aren't doing their company image or the PC gaming community any favors.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts

I didn't buy this game just because of the DRM, so at least I'll live with the knowledge that they definitely lost at least 1 sale. I get enough of Big Brother from my government, thank you very much.

DaRockWilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaRockWilder
Member since 2002 • 5451 Posts
As Jeff Gerstmann said on the Giant Bombcast, if this is where they are going to draw the line then they should just stop putting out games on the PC altogether, and I'm inclined to agree. They really aren't doing their company image or the PC gaming community any favors.StopThePresses
I agree it's a little overkill but we didn't ask for this, the PIRATES did.
StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts

[QUOTE="StopThePresses"]As Jeff Gerstmann said on the Giant Bombcast, if this is where they are going to draw the line then they should just stop putting out games on the PC altogether, and I'm inclined to agree. They really aren't doing their company image or the PC gaming community any favors.DaRockWilder
I agree it's a little overkill but we didn't ask for this, the PIRATES did.

I kind of have my doubts that most of them are going to buy it either way. As far as Ubisoft's bottom line is concerned this is essentially a numbers game: Is X > Y, where X is the number of theoretical pirates who bought the game because of the DRM, and Y is the number of people who actually aren't buying the game specifically because of the DRM? It is an obvious point of fact that not every pirated copy of a game equates to a lost sale, so what percentage of pirated copies would have actually been sales if piracy was not possible? Well, of course I don't know the answer to that, and I'm sure it varies from game to game also.

MondeEdlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MondeEdlu
Member since 2005 • 181 Posts

Ubisoft is so quick to quote "losses" caused by piracy. How much did they spend on this drm? and how long will it last for before its cracked into redundancy.

They then pass the costs to actual customers who have to shell out $60 for a 5 months old game. How much is the console version of assassins creed now? That price plus dlc (they are essentially forcing dlc purchases aswell) wont cost $60 and lets not forget we cant even trade in their games on pc to get some money back.

RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with it to be honest, the only people that are complaining are the ones that won't be able to pirate the games, me i already bought Assassin's Creed II and i haven't had a single problem with it.DaRockWilder
no, the people who are complaining are those who want to purchase it, or did, and can't play it because they don't have a stable internet connection. Not everyone lives in area's with readily available internet connections..
the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

Um also how come their hasn't been any flak fired EA's way yet? They're doing the same thing with CnC4 and quite possibly future PC releases.

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#23 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

No, we're under reacting.

carlosjuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 carlosjuero
Member since 2008 • 1254 Posts

Um also how come their hasn't been any flak fired EA's way yet? They're doing the same thing with CnC4 and quite possibly future PC releases.

the_mitch28
EA are the current 'good guys' in comparison to Activision and Ubisoft... I guess give it some time? Though sometimes folks will accept things from one party while bashing it from another (just an observation). My problem with Ubi's DRM focus is that they cannot ensure their servers will be up constantly, or that a connection between their servers and the end users ISP connection won't go bad... you could have the most stable internet in the world, but if one of the connections that Ubi uses to the 'backbone' goes wonky, or Ubi's servers go down (or get another DDoS attack on them)... then what? Legitimate customers stuck not being able to play the game they paid for - where is the good in that? I will also say that Ubisoft lost just about the entire military player base (folks in the military play ALOT of games in their downtime, for some obvious reasons - I should know; 2 separate tours of duty w/ 2 brances. Military internet connections have always been subject to OPSEC protocols - and in certain situations ALL outside network activity is blocked (except for certain sites like the Army webmail site, and Navy mail servers [2 I have experience with]). Not to mention the folks forward deployed who don't have the luxury of paying for their own internet access and have to rely on the provided satellite access in their camp. Anyway - I have talked enough on this DRM stuff, just kinda sick of the whole thing. I won't buy the games that have it - I don't care if other folks do or don't. To each their own.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17839 Posts

the_mitch28
really? nuts to that....no more ubi or EA games for me on any platform until this nonsense is brought to an end.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
What comes out of DRM that Ubi currently use 1. One of the biggest advantages of pc gaming MODs will be impossible thanks to having be connected to a server to authanticate the game 2. Drop the connection=The game exits and neither you can save your game . Yeah thats some great news especially if you have frequent problems with your ISP or if you have a bandwidth limit and you have reached it then no more gaming for the rest of the month for you So all this DRM that is supposively will stop pirates but the only think will stop is more people buying the game So what you want UBISOFT. 500 people buying a game wiht DRM and 100 pirates or 1000 people buying the game with 1000 pirates. If i was a company i sure as hell would have chosen more people to buy the game even if that leads to more pirates due to no DRM
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Ubisoft is so quick to quote "losses" caused by piracy. How much did they spend on this drm?

MondeEdlu

Not much I assume, it's based on Massgate. Implementing it in other games compensates the costs.

the_mitch28

EA announced in August 2009 that CnC will require permanent connection and they gave very valid reasons for this. The recent Ubi controversy caught them in the crossfire, because some sites (and forum users...) conveniently forgot or ignored this and claim that EA is imitating Ubisoft.

ghog69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 ghog69
Member since 2004 • 117 Posts

Moral of the story............support the good games that DON'T have a DRM setup.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
The revewer said those things with lack of knowledge, infact even reading stuff like that in a review is making me lose all interest in the reviewer.
charrr1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 charrr1234
Member since 2007 • 685 Posts
[QUOTE="adamosmaki"] Drop the connection=The game exits and neither you can save your game . Yeah that's some great news especially if you have frequent problems with your ISP

and that is why I hate Ubisoft's DRM. Now, this would make sense for MP, but not a SP game.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#31 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
I don't know why companies like EA or Ubisoft release DRM. Even if they make the most powerful DRM ever, pirates will always find a way for crack it and put the game on torrent sites. The DRM is supposed to stop pirates but that doesn't work so why continue doing that? The loyal consumers are the ones who must endure the DRM meanwhile pirates and people that download from torrents are quite happy playing a game that they didn't pay a penny for use it and don't have DRM.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Only issue I have with it is that you need internet connection to play the game, there are those in the world who does not have a stable network connection due to their supplier and as such will potentially have issues with the games.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dakan45
I don't know why companies like EA or Ubisoft release DRM. Even if they make the most powerful DRM ever, pirates will always find a way for crack it and put the game on torrent sites. The DRM is supposed to stop pirates but that doesn't work so why continue doing that? The loyal consumers are the ones who must endure the DRM meanwhile pirates and people that download from torrents are quite happy playing a game that they didn't pay a penny for use it and don't have DRM. Miroku32
Piracy is an excuse, they try to eliminate the game resales and such.
Only issue I have with it is that you need internet connection to play the game, there are those in the world who does not have a stable network connection due to their supplier and as such will potentially have issues with the games.Treflis
Yeah in soem countries it could be a real mess running the game. Let alone that ubisoft is experiancing connection difficulities with their new drm in various small countries. They just killed pc gamers there.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PublicNuisance

I don't see anything wrong with it to be honest, the only people that are complaining are the ones that won't be able to pirate the games, me i already bought Assassin's Creed II and i haven't had a single problem with it.DaRockWilder

I can't stand people like you. I haven't pirated a PC game in my life. Heck if we go by our collection here on Gamespot I own 292 PC games to your 72. I just have gotten tired of DRM and being told how I can play a game that I paid for. A line has to be drawn, this is mine.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I will also say that Ubisoft lost just about the entire military player base (folks in the military play ALOT of games in their downtime, for some obvious reasons - I should know; 2 separate tours of duty w/ 2 brances. Military internet connections have always been subject to OPSEC protocols - and in certain situations ALL outside network activity is blocked (except for certain sites like the Army webmail site, and Navy mail servers [2 I have experience with]). Not to mention the folks forward deployed who don't have the luxury of paying for their own internet access and have to rely on the provided satellite access in their camp. Anyway - I have talked enough on this DRM stuff, just kinda sick of the whole thing. I won't buy the games that have it - I don't care if other folks do or don't. To each their own.carlosjuero

I don't recall games being allowed on a government/DoD network ever, downtime or not. On most deployed sites I've been to in the past, consoles are the norm. They're either on a dedicated (non-government) LAN, or single player/splitscreen. On a government server? Nope. They better not be. That's grounds for getting kicked out or even going to jail.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
deactivated-5b5d7639964d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
Member since 2008 • 8225 Posts
Will it be cracked? I have no doubt that it will be but its not going to be today or tomorrow. Ubisoft's DRM WORKED. spiderman120988
If it's going to be cracked (and Silent Hunter V has) then it didn't work.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
has anyone got any sales data on how well AC2 PC is doing? I can't find anything. I imagine Ubi would want to hide it if it wasn't that good, as that would just add fuel to the DRM fire.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

I refused to appeased to this aggression to us loyal customer we all vow to stand against this madness!

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
the only people that are complaining are the ones that won't be able to pirate the gameDaRockWilder
I own a legal copy of almost every UBI game, and I'm thoroughly against having to stay connected to the internet in order to play a SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN...
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 superclocked

[QUOTE="DaRockWilder"]I don't see anything wrong with it to be honest, the only people that are complaining are the ones that won't be able to pirate the games, me i already bought Assassin's Creed II and i haven't had a single problem with it.PublicNuisance

I can't stand people like you. I haven't pirated a PC game in my life. Heck if we go by our collection here on Gamespot I own 292 PC games to your 72. I just have gotten tired of DRM and being told how I can play a game that I paid for. A line has to be drawn, this is mine.

I'm with ya buddy. My line has been drawn as well. I'm not buying ANY game that requires a constant connection to the internet...
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 superclocked
Overreacting? No... 1) If the servers are down, I can't play 2) If I'm on the road, I can't play 3) If my internet is down, I can't play 4) I DO NOT want to open more ports on my router, especially to play a SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN 5) Hackers are, and will continue to have a blast pissing people off because of this DRM 6) If UBI goes out of business one day, I won't be able to play 7) And pirates will still get the game for free, it's just going to take a little longer... And UBI's servers have been going down regularly for a very long time btw. This isn't something new...
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I'm against pretty much any form of DRM so I'm only reacting normally. Not buying that crap EA is putting out either (they did announce this service first btw).

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dakan45
[QUOTE="DaRockWilder"]the only people that are complaining are the ones that won't be able to pirate the gamesuperclocked
I own a legal copy of almost every UBI game, and I'm thoroughly against having to stay connected to the internet in order to play a SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN...

Apart from that there is a LOOOOOONG history of ubisoft faulty/problematic games. Why ubisoft has to make it worse and pose me ANOTHER possible issue/problem that i will have to deal with when i play games on pc?
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

the_mitch28
Primary difference being that CnC4 actually has an online experience and they integrated the online aspect even into the single player, with unlocks in every game mode including single player, chat lobby up between missions on the stats screen, etc. They at least TRIED to do something with the fact that the game is constantly connected. Now, if EA starts churning out games with absolutely zero online features but have DRM that requires a constant connection, they'll receive the same criticism.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts
[QUOTE="superclocked"]Overreacting? No... 4) I DO NOT want to open more ports on my router, especially to play a SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN

That brings up another subject. My router firmware only has a finite amount of space for me to open ports. I don't recall the number I of programs I can add, but it's something like 10 entries. So if you have a ton of crap that requires port forwarding, well good luck. There are some open source firmware alternatives for routers, but I haven't looked into them. And if you screw something up or it doesn't work you could brick your router installing a third party firmware.
HavocEbonlore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 HavocEbonlore
Member since 2007 • 483 Posts

The DRM is a community-wide concern. I'd say you're undereacting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3fa34a024b3
deactivated-5f3fa34a024b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#47 deactivated-5f3fa34a024b3
Member since 2005 • 1735 Posts

Here's an interesting read from YouGamers' review of Assassin's Creed II on the PC: http://www.yougamers.com/reviews/27485_assassins_creed_ii-page5/

The reviewer says the following: "Okay, so you may now expect me to start ripping apart the "horrendous" and "anti-consumer" DRM system that Ubisoft has devised and included with Assassin's Creed II, Silent Hunter 5 and all announced upcoming Ubi PC releases. I'm not going to do so and I actually applaud UbiSoft for going with the system."

Look, a lot of you are saying that its going to be cracked and that it has but the truth is that it HAS NOT be cracked and it seems unlikely that it will be anytime soon. Another quote: "Assuming UbiSoft has actually done their homework and this is really the case - key parts of the game logic running on the server side - the system may be impossible to crack without completely reverse-engineering the server side code and doing it without any access to it. Good luck with that."

Will it be cracked? I have no doubt that it will be but its not going to be today or tomorrow. Ubisoft's DRM WORKED. The only people playing are the people who payed for the game.

Also, please stop saying the pirates are heroes. They are the ones causing this mess anyway. In any case, please feel feel to insult me now and call me a Ubisoft tool! =D

spiderman120988

you are kind of missing the point here though, whether it is cracked or not doesnt make much difference, the fact is people who DO buy the game have to contend with this system, the very people who deserve to play the game WITHOUT problems... the pirates are not heroes, and asyou said they are the ones causing this problem, and they sure arent the ones who can solve it, but that deosnt give Ubisoft the right to give legitimate customers problems just so that some idiot who probably wouldnt buy the game anyway cant download it, at least not without expecting some sort of backlash, which brings me back to the original point you made that we are overreacting... we are not, we have done nothing wrong, so why should we be treated like second class citizens?

My personal reaction to alll this is that I'm simply not going to buy any games that have this system... i'm not going to pirate the games, i'm just going to leave them completely. I'm not going to pay for a game that is going to treat me like a pirate when i am not a pirate. the connection issue may not affect the majority of customers who have a stable connection, and at the moment, I'm on a university connection which is stable, but in a few weeks i go home and i know that my connection at home does occasionally cut off for unkown reasons. if not buying the game because of this is overreacting... well... how else can we react without overreacting?

there is then the fact that IF this system is cracked, and proves ultimately worthless, then what will they move to next? if they keep having to take more and more drastic measures to keep pirates from playing their games, it will just get out of control, and what is especially wrong with this system is that a load of other PC games are out at the moment that use very little, or no DRM and get along fine... if the game is good, people who want to buy it WILL buy it, people who don't want to buy it will pirate it, but they werent going to buy it anyway...

either way, this system is a failure and a disgrace, if im overreacting then so be it, but ubisoft arent getting any money from me.

(and just for the record - im not posting this as a hate message to the OP... just putting my opinion across)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'll buy the game if it's good enough. I'll even put up with the online DRM. The moment something goes wrong, I'll be on the warpath and possible not buy another game again or even move on to consoles.

Just the same, my anger is still directed at the pirates. If I ever encounter one, I'd rat them out in a heartbeat or maybe slash the tires of their cars or something.

Darkchaoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Darkchaoss
Member since 2005 • 52 Posts

spiderman120988

You posted this March 19th. Today is March 20th, and the game has been cracked.

You win, good sir.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#50 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
The fact of the matter is the main reason DRM even exists in the first place is because of piracy, so legitimate honest buyers have to deal with it. Another fact is Ubisoft like many other publishers want to profit from their investments, especially enough money to make up the cost in development. They have no choice to turn to innovative ways to prevent their games in getting pirated and if Ubisoft DRM is working very well, be sure alot of other publishers will follow.