Are We (PC Gamers) Elitist?

• 113 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts

Most of my friends love playing console games and think they are more immersive, but I like the PC a lot more, maybe it's because I started playing games earlier than my friends and PC was the only way to go twelve years ago. Anyways, they often say that PC gamers are exclusively elitist and don't accept changes other than technical ones.

I know this is the wrong place to look for objective input, but do your best at self examination. Are we really?

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts
I'm open to change (i dunno exact definition of elitist so ill focus here)
 sequels are overrated.
xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts

elitist? maybe.  But nothing beats the undying Sony/MS/Nintendo fanboyism present in the console culture. Sure, a lot of us build our own platforms ourselves and like to watch our epeens grow when benchmarking but all around we just like good games. In the end, though, I don't think it all really matters....

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Noldorin2646

I know what you mean.
Man I miss Middle School when they argued all day if the N64 was better than the PS. lol

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

a large number of us, yea.

Hero6_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Hero6_basic
Member since 2002 • 1536 Posts
I would have to say, yeah, and Iam not sorry
MercFox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MercFox1
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Well, yeah; some of us anyhow.

I think that label comes when a majority of PC gamers (myself included) operate on the judgment that that console gamers are "copping out" and lowering the standards for the rest of us. While there may be truth to that statement (see" RTSes always will be superior on PCs"), there are just some games and gaming experiences that are better on consoles.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
You're darn right! We're the superior breed =P That said, I go both ways... I love consoles and PC games, and both have their purposes... but I think that we PC gamers are entitled to some extra swagger as we can create our own gaming machine, whereas consoles are paper-cut products for the most part... and the PC allows for games that the console just can't accomodate, and vice versa.
MegaWang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MegaWang
Member since 2006 • 287 Posts
Agree with Staryoshi87, and yes.......I am Elite.
oldskooler79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 oldskooler79
Member since 2004 • 1632 Posts
Well, yeah; some of us anyhow.

I think that label comes when a majority of PC gamers (myself included) operate on the judgment that that console gamers are "copping out" and lowering the standards for the rest of us. While there may be truth to that statement (see" RTSes always will be superior on PCs"), there are just some games and gaming experiences that are better on consoles.MercFox1

In the defense of consoles- with the introduction of PS3/360, gamers now can play at higher resolutions, view and soon record media, play immersive games, etc that in the past was only present with pcs.  Now, pc games will IMO always be a step or two ahead of any current console technically but it's nice to see console gamers get this.

I don't think it lowers the standards of pc gaming.  Mainly because pc gaming will evolve over the cycle of PS3/360 in ways that perhaps you are unaware of and the fact that consoles will not be able to do.  It always happens this way.  It only seems now that current games will suffer the next-gen console degradation period.  The latest consoles are like bright shiny magnets for kids and even adults as they walk in the stores.  The devs know this and will focus on them until the fad wears down, and it will believe me!

When that happens, it's back to the pc for the hardcore devs that strayed away.  Then the consoles won't know what hit em'.  Why would the evolutional clock change now? 

lokstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lokstah
Member since 2005 • 1213 Posts

Most of my friends love playing console games and think they are more immersive, but I like the PC a lot more, maybe it's because I started playing games earlier than my friends and PC was the only way to go twelve years ago. Anyways, they often say that PC gamers are exclusively elitist and don't accept changes other than technical ones.

I know this is the wrong place to look for objective input, but do your best at self examination. Are we really?

Noldorin2646

It's an interesting question, but I'm not convinced. I'd need to hear more. Is simply having a preference elitist? You could begin to apply the same feelings to, say, baseball fans over football fans, or people who prefer Scotch to Tequila. Or, does the inferiority complex of the "other" make one an elitist? I suspect elitism is a dangerously vague, easily abused word.

Give me more, Noldorin...

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
of course they are, i dont' even want to mention consoles around here.
Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dracunos
Member since 2004 • 1154 Posts

Noldorin2646

Immersiveness is my favorite trait in a game. I absolutely love games like Bloodlines, Oblivion, really good RPGS.. Different things immerse me more than others, such as story, good graphics and setting, depth of gameplay, depth of story..

The second most favorite thing I enjoy is unique stuff.. I love Prey, and HL2 had some interesting stuff.. I could say that some console games have fantastically immersive stories, but far less of the console games I ever used to play had much depth, most didn't have much of a story, or any story at all.. The gameplay element was repetitive and bland.. I very rarely found something extremely good. Bushido Blade was very unique for me and I liked.. A few other unique games were pretty fun, I remember.. of course FF was great.. But when I played PC games, there was just so many years and years worth of games I could play on my PC, many of them really old incredible RPGs, recent great RPGs, innovative FPSes..

For the most part, I play some online FPSes just because they are plain mindless fun.. My real passion that keeps me in the gameplaying thing is the brilliantly fun and deep and unique experiences, however.

I'm sure consoles have plenty of that as well, and I have seen some.. But.. Almost all of their really popular games besides FF and such are like.. Gears of War.. Halo.. Cool games.. But they'd only be time-waster fun type games for me. I'm sure by now they have had a few decent storyline games and such as well, but.. With a PC I can play the best games of all time, whether they are made ten years ago or not.. I don't have to worry about getting a Mac for example, so I can play mac-only games.. :p And when I am playing those mindless games, it's nice to have them look really really good, normally better than console games. Plus I play a lot of FPSes, and I'm not into the whole controller/fps thing..

It would be nice to get some RPGs from consoles, though.. But I've grown to hate the immense grind of FF style oldschool console RPGs.. I like how the console RPGs seem to be moving to more strategy-based combat systems? Basically, PCs always seem to have way more of the deep and immersive games I enjoy, and wonderful storylines and such, and no console has had enough to make me willing to pay for one. 

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts
We are elitists because the PC will always be better. There's nothing console owners can do but except that. I love change personally, but the PC will always...always be betetr than consoles. FPS and shooter wise, too.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58344 Posts

I dont think PC gamers are elitists, but we are easily mistaken as some.

I think PC gamers are the gourmands of the electronic gaming world.  While we enjoy the occasional hamburger and fries, we also love to eat amazing foods.  We can enjoy seared foie gras with pan-fried brioche and a three-onion marmalade spooned on top as much as we enjoy a good simple steak.

This is different from our more blue-collar brethren on the consoles.  We can easily sit down and share a burger with them, but if we put a plate of risotto a la funghi with shaved summer truffles and braised monkfish in front of them, theyre gonna feel a little out of place and talk crap behind our backs.

HostileEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HostileEffect
Member since 2006 • 2491 Posts
PCs and hermits are a bit elite... after all, we are the superior race(s).
mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

I think people use that term because they are either A) Losing an argument and are salty about it or B) Our excitement and knowledge about something seems alien to them.

There's nothing wrong with loving PC Gaming. It might cost more, but we see the benefit of that, as it's a great community to be a part of. Frankly, I really don't care what a console-only gamer thinks about me or any other PC Gamer. If they've never had a gaming rig before, how can they judge someone honestly? 

The PC is the pioneer of the industry when it comes to technology, that's just a fact, not elitist. When we point out that fact, it doesn't mean we are elists by any stretch of the imagination. 

burticvs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 burticvs
Member since 2005 • 187 Posts

I think it comes down to a technology standpoint. Imagine how outdated the PS3/XB360 will be at the end of their supposed 10 yr shelf life. When new games come out that use new technologies, PC Gamers can take advantage of the new technologies by buying the new hardware/software to support it. Consoles are stuck with what they have. yeah, it may be great when it initially comes out, but down the road PCs win out. Flexibility with rigs is well worth the price of upgrading every-so-often. Look at the 360, they used what, a 7950 or something? Look at where that card is going to rate in say, 3 yrs time. I don't think we're elitists, we just understand the market better IMHO. Yeah, I am probably going to buy a Wii possibly a 360 in the future, but the majority of my gaming will always be done on PC. Consoles will just be used when I need a break or want to play with my kids.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrbojangles25

I think people use that term because they are either A) Losing an argument and are salty about it or B) Our excitement and knowledge about something seems alien to them.

There's nothing wrong with loving PC Gaming. It might cost more, but we see the benefit of that, as it's a great community to be a part of. Frankly, I really don't care what a console-only gamer thinks about me or any other PC Gamer. If they've never had a gaming rig before, how can they judge someone honestly? 

The PC is the pioneer of the industry when it comes to technology, that's just a fact, not elitist. When we point out that fact, it doesn't mean we are elists by any stretch of the imagination. 

mismajor99

well said

PC gamers are enthusiasts.  We spend loads of cash on rigs because we feel theyre worth it, not just "because we can."  Its the same thing with art dealers; I cant understand why anyone would pay millions for a canvas with some paint on it, no matter who created it, but I am not gonna give them any crap you know?

rpgsuperfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rpgsuperfan
Member since 2003 • 99 Posts

[QUOTE="MercFox1"]Well, yeah; some of us anyhow.

I think that label comes when a majority of PC gamers (myself included) operate on the judgment that that console gamers are "copping out" and lowering the standards for the rest of us. While there may be truth to that statement (see" RTSes always will be superior on PCs"), there are just some games and gaming experiences that are better on consoles.oldskooler79

In the defense of consoles- with the introduction of PS3/360, gamers now can play at higher resolutions, view and soon record media, play immersive games, etc that in the past was only present with pcs. Now, pc games will IMO always be a step or two ahead of any current console technically but it's nice to see console gamers get this.

I don't think it lowers the standards of pc gaming. Mainly because pc gaming will evolve over the cycle of PS3/360 in ways that perhaps you are unaware of and the fact that consoles will not be able to do. It always happens this way. It only seems now that current games will suffer the next-gen console degradation period. The latest consoles are like bright shiny magnets for kids and even adults as they walk in the stores. The devs know this and will focus on them until the fad wears down, and it will believe me!

When that happens, it's back to the pc for the hardcore devs that strayed away. Then the consoles won't know what hit em'. Why would the evolutional clock change now?

You call yourself old"skooler" (learn to spell) and you're talking about hardware specs? You're not an oldschooler at all. PC games' advantage is modability. In other words, modifiable software, not hardware. Consoles' advantage was purity of the experience, but now they're really losing that as consoles try more and more to be like PCs and for that reason I don't really play them any more. Don't sully that name if you can't see that 8 bits is just as good as 512 megabytes.

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Noldorin2646
[QUOTE="Noldorin2646"]

lokstah

It's an interesting question, but I'm not convinced. I'd need to hear more. Is simply having a preference elitist? You could begin to apply the same feelings to, say, baseball fans over football fans, or people who prefer Scotch to Tequila. Or, does the inferiority complex of the "other" make one an elitist? I suspect elitism is a dangerously vague, easily abused word.

Give me more, Noldorin...

Sorry, Been away for awhile...actually, more than a while.

Whatever, I'm saying that sometimes console fanboys think that PC gamers look down on them as mindless underlings (which they are) of the commercial machine that's behind console gaming rather than gaming enthusiasts who deserve the respect of the PC gaming community.

I'm merely asking you guys of the validity of the statement

concord9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 concord9
Member since 2003 • 949 Posts
PC GAMING FOR LIFE!!!!!! PC Gamers are more mature, typically wealthier, better jobs, more educated, nothing but advantages. The only good point for consoles is at a party after a few drinks to game with buddies on a big screen.
A-S_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 A-S_FM
Member since 2004 • 2208 Posts

if you were to poll every pc gamer out there, i think you'd find results like this:

20% consider consoles to be toys for kids, and refuse to play them or acknowledge them as legitimate games machines

25% acknowledge consoles as decent machines where applicable, and can enjoy playing them - but generally don't use consoles either due to lack of appeal or some other rational, legitimate reason

50% has at least 1 console that compliments their pc gaming

5% of pc gamers feel that if the industry stays the way it is, they won't be pc gamers by the next console generation

wild speculation, of course - but my point is that you simply cannot generalise, there is no yes, no or maybe - it's a bit of everything, and it all balances out

just like any thing, not all people are the same - there will always be people who think consoles are below them, and console gamers are mindless sheep - there will always be people who own consoles and pcs

are we elitist? i'd say some of us are, but nowhere near a majority

burticvs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 burticvs
Member since 2005 • 187 Posts
I'd have to agree with that breakdown.
Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Frozzik
Member since 2006 • 3914 Posts
[QUOTE="MercFox1"]Well, yeah; some of us anyhow.

I think that label comes when a majority of PC gamers (myself included) operate on the judgment that that console gamers are "copping out" and lowering the standards for the rest of us. While there may be truth to that statement (see" RTSes always will be superior on PCs"), there are just some games and gaming experiences that are better on consoles.oldskooler79

In the defense of consoles- with the introduction of PS3/360, gamers now can play at higher resolutions, view and soon record media, play immersive games, etc that in the past was only present with pcs. Now, pc games will IMO always be a step or two ahead of any current console technically but it's nice to see console gamers get this.

I don't think it lowers the standards of pc gaming. Mainly because pc gaming will evolve over the cycle of PS3/360 in ways that perhaps you are unaware of and the fact that consoles will not be able to do. It always happens this way. It only seems now that current games will suffer the next-gen console degradation period. The latest consoles are like bright shiny magnets for kids and even adults as they walk in the stores. The devs know this and will focus on them until the fad wears down, and it will believe me!

When that happens, it's back to the pc for the hardcore devs that strayed away. Then the consoles won't know what hit em'. Why would the evolutional clock change now?

100% spot on. When the ps2 and xbox were 1st launched pc gaming suffered a little at 1st, many said it was dead. In the end it offered what these consoles couldn't. Like you say, this will happen again. I think pc gamers just expect a little more than most console gamers, if this makes us elitest then so be it.
DirtyboyXL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DirtyboyXL
Member since 2007 • 52 Posts

I think that people who limit themselves to just one system are missing out on some great games.  PC gaming is kind of like the import car mod scene where everyone is tricking out their rides with performance and looks.  PC gamers will argue about graphics power, but seeing a game like Gears of War running in 1080p rivals anything out on a PC.  Personally, I think right now the consoles have the upper hand in gaming right now, but as they age and more of the big PC games come out along with new hardware, things will shift back.  Then of course Microsoft and Sony go and release a new console and whole process starts all over again...

Scotti912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Scotti912
Member since 2004 • 69 Posts
Were only elitists because we know how powerful our system is and we love gaming without all the immature kids. Though they seem to be everywere these days.
Warpld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#28 Warpld
Member since 2007 • 132 Posts

PC gamers are more hardcore, because back in the days it took some skills to make games run under DOS and Win95-98 for exaple and even today it's not much less so. You actually learn something useful about computers when playing PC games. On, the other hand, consoles are the user-friendly gaming. You don't need a brain to run a console game, but that doesn't mean you don't need a brain to play it. Does all that make us more elite? I think not. I prefer PC gaming by far, but I won't dump my PS2, because I'll miss some serious titles (Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, God of War, etc.). Cries like "we are the superior breed" sound just like "X-BOX ferever!" and "PS uber alles!" Pull yourselves together, boys!

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
Definitely. You need a certain level of intelligence and technical ability to build and run a gaming PC that most console fanboys just don't have. PC gaming is by far the best experience if you're into shooters and strategy and if you like those games and only play console you are just plain stupid...... prettymuch definines the 360 fanbase.
bugtrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 bugtrip
Member since 2004 • 1260 Posts
Everybody's different, and everybody thinks they know everything and apply what they think they know to everybody else. (period)
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts

I think that is a generalization and we are individuals.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#32 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Noldorin2646

When I think of console gamers I think of a bunch of teenagers munching on cheetos and drinking cokes while gathered around a tv. Maybe it is because when I was a console gamer it was colecovision and atari, then I grew up and went to PC gaming. If anything it is console gamers who are the elistists anyway. I remember as well back in the early 90's having to free up enough resident memory to run a game, creat bootdisks, run memchecker and all that crap. I couldn't do it now if I had to lol.

sircyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sircyrus
Member since 2003 • 6358 Posts

I don't think PC gamers are elitists. Some certainly are, but that's no different than any other gaming platform (just look at the wars between fans of the seperate consoles to see this). I think the reason PC gamers come off as elitists is because PC gaming is just different from console gaming. The controls are different, the costs are different, hardware comes into play, and the games are designed differently.

Console games are great for when you've got a group of friends over, or when you've got 15 spare minutes and want to game a bit. PC games require more of a dedication. There's hardware upgrades to keep up, and the games typically are not designed to be played for 15 minutes at a time. PC gaming is also more of a solitary experience, meaning you wont have 4 people all playing on the same PC at the same time. You can play on the net, sure, but PC games just aren't designed for a group of friends to all sit around playing on the same PC.

And we as PC gamers like that. When the console-style gaming finds it's way onto the PC we react strongly against it because we've made our choice - PC gaming is what we prefer. Consoles are out there and if we want one we can pick one up for the cost of a hardware upgrade. But we don't buy one, and we don't want our preferred gaming to be replaced by the console gaming elbowing in on the PC market. They are 2 distinct types of gaming and they should stay on their respective platforms. Saying that doesn't make me an elitist, it means I've tried both PC and console gaming and decided I like what the PC offers more.

All you have to do is look at the multiplatform games of the past that were disappointments on the PC (yet successful on console) to see that you cannot please both console and PC gamers with the same game. It's just a shame Microsoft doesn't care about that and is continuing to try to turn the PC into an extension of the 360.

Gangans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gangans
Member since 2007 • 1273 Posts

Pc gamers do tend to be graphics whores. Just get a wii and that'll straighten you up, I know, did tit. Good choice.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

I think PC gamers are the gourmands of the electronic gaming world.  While we enjoy the occasional hamburger and fries, we also love to eat amazing foods.  We can enjoy seared foie gras with pan-fried brioche and a three-onion marmalade spooned on top as much as we enjoy a good simple steak.

This is different from our more blue-collar brethren on the consoles.  We can easily sit down and share a burger with them, but if we put a plate of risotto a la funghi with shaved summer truffles and braised monkfish in front of them, theyre gonna feel a little out of place and talk crap behind our backs.

mrbojangles25

lol...agree with what you said...not to mention you made me a bit hungry :P

And honestly...we have a reason to be a little on the "elitist" side of things.  Since I got my 360 a few months ago, I have been spending a bit of time of the 360 forums.  Let me tell you...it's not a generalization...the IQ level seriously drops a good 10-15 points on average compared to over on the PC boards.  It's sad...but it really is true.

Platearmor_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 Platearmor_6
Member since 2004 • 2817 Posts

We have a reason to be. Some of the biggest game innovations were started on PC and most console gamers are just jealous that even if they have the money only a select few actual have the brains to play some of the games we have on PC.

I will take Crysis as an example, console fanboys always say its just graphics and no gameplay and that it won't get higher than an 8.0 which is just jealousy because it will only be better than Farcry which got a 9.2 while some of my friends loved the console version of Farcry they thought the PC version was to hard to complicated to be fun.

One of my friends has played my copy of Supreme Commander more than me and he still can't understand how to build a well balanced force rather than just a horde of tanks. And his parents won't let him install games on his PC because they say they have viruses in them.

muscleserge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 muscleserge
Member since 2005 • 3307 Posts

I think that people who limit themselves to just one system are missing out on some great games. PC gaming is kind of like the import car mod scene where everyone is tricking out their rides with performance and looks. PC gamers will argue about graphics power, but seeing a game like Gears of War running in 1080p rivals anything out on a PC. Personally, I think right now the consoles have the upper hand in gaming right now, but as they age and more of the big PC games come out along with new hardware, things will shift back. Then of course Microsoft and Sony go and release a new console and whole process starts all over again...

DirtyboyXL
Technically Gears was rendered 720p and upscaled. Gears of War is more of a tech demo-ish game, It was supposed to show off UE3, but when looked at a technical point all gears has is super high res textures, there is little AI, physics and so on, there is also no AA or AF. Epic did a good job, and Gears is a great game, but in order to look like that it sacrificed many things that make games good. I think STALKER is more demanding that Gears, sure at first look it might not seem so, but when you notice all the details, everything is heavily bump-mapped, and there is a lot of AI on screen, not to mention the shadows. Concerning the topic, PC gamers can come off as elitists, and it is proly because of the superior hardware, and software. I don't think the majority is but there are some, especially some with 8800GTXs in SLI. There are console elitists too, like PS3 fanboys, who think that the cell is the ultimate gods gift to the earth, or 360 fans who believe that Xenos is the second coming of Christ. What about console fanboys who think PC has no god games and that PC gaming is dying.
Kaelken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Kaelken
Member since 2007 • 531 Posts

I guess there is a slight tendecy to agitate one of the other, but what is way worse is, I can´t remember the last time I saw some renewal in either camps, consoles or PC.

To me gaming stagnated a long time ago. Look at the Resident Evil series, MGS, GTA and FPS in general. Seriously, FPS´ers haven´t moved since Doom 1998 --

karmageddon2k4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 karmageddon2k4
Member since 2004 • 919 Posts

Ya i would say PC gamers are.  I sit in both camps PC and consoles and i definitely like to beat other people's computers and play all the games there.  But i'm not one to say oooh the PC is the best forget consoles.  I'm in gaming for games not that one system is better than the other.  Hence why i have a ton of PC and console games.

Now i will admit my new PC rig which i just setup beats down everyone i know it's entirely there for the games and so i can bug them about getting more frames per second. 

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Noldorin2646
[QUOTE="DirtyboyXL"]

I think that people who limit themselves to just one system are missing out on some great games. PC gaming is kind of like the import car mod scene where everyone is tricking out their rides with performance and looks. PC gamers will argue about graphics power, but seeing a game like Gears of War running in 1080p rivals anything out on a PC. Personally, I think right now the consoles have the upper hand in gaming right now, but as they age and more of the big PC games come out along with new hardware, things will shift back. Then of course Microsoft and Sony go and release a new console and whole process starts all over again...

muscleserge

Technically Gears was rendered 720p and upscaled. Gears of War is more of a tech demo-ish game, It was supposed to show off UE3, but when looked at a technical point all gears has is super high res textures, there is little AI, physics and so on, there is also no AA or AF. Epic did a good job, and Gears is a great game, but in order to look like that it sacrificed many things that make games good. I think STALKER is more demanding that Gears, sure at first look it might not seem so, but when you notice all the details, everything is heavily bump-mapped, and there is a lot of AI on screen, not to mention the shadows. Concerning the topic, PC gamers can come off as elitists, and it is proly because of the superior hardware, and software. I don't think the majority is but there are some, especially some with 8800GTXs in SLI. There are console elitists too, like PS3 fanboys, who think that the cell is the ultimate gods gift to the earth, or 360 fans who believe that Xenos is the second coming of Christ. What about console fanboys who think PC has no god games and that PC gaming is dying.

I see your point. But even with the hardware aside, I think PC offers way more depth in the gaming experience than consoles. Sure Legend of Zelda and Mario on console changed gaming, but they turned it to a commercial path where fancy peripherals were essential at selling the product. On PC, it's still the same atmosphere of games being more respected than the platform itself. I don't think you can ever recreate a StarCraft phenomenon worldwide with console even though Halo did come close.

cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts

I will play any game I like on whatever console.  But I will defend PC gaming before console gaming.  I do find myself far more immersed in PC games than I ever do in console games and the fact the only genres the PC does not do as well as consoles are racers and platformers.  Even now though we can connect 360 controllers to PCs and play Psychonauts or racing games as well as console players can.

In a way, yes, we are elitist and snobby. 

blackdreamhunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blackdreamhunk
Member since 2007 • 3880 Posts

your joking right lol console game better than a pc game lol. They don't even have mmorpg on a console game lol let alone the games even come close to real rpg games out there.

spierdalaj666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 spierdalaj666
Member since 2004 • 865 Posts

I think that we are and justifyable so.

First, our games for the most part are incredibly moddable. Take oblivion with its enemy scaling problem and dumbed down rpg elements, anyone who can play vanilla oblivion and call it "the best RPG ever" is either a moron or completely oblivious to what an RPG should be. This is why we still play old pc games because numerous mods come out for them that make the games refreshing. Also, mods make current games better, take M2TW for example.

Second, the games tend not to have have inherent limitations. An example would be trying to play an indepth strategy game on the console, it's simply impossible. Game developers have to adhere to these limitations when designing games for consoles since certain features simply cannot be executed well on consoles.

Third, hardware. As soon as a console is released, it is already outdated and as a consequence games made for the system will end up using old technology and will not advance until the new console is released.

Lastly and a bit off-topic, is it true or just a myth that console FPSs have an auto-aim feature to help with head shots? If that's true then it supports the second point that i brought up.

Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#44 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts

mrbojangles25

LOL!  I LOVE that analogy!

Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gen-Gawl
I think we come off as elitists because it's more of a total hobby for us. We are 1/3 gamer, 1/3 programmer, and 1/3 techy. And we take great pride in the rigs we build.
xVx-Moat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 xVx-Moat
Member since 2004 • 113 Posts

I have some consoles because they have games that i want that I couldn't get on my PC. Having said that though they are more of a compliment to my pc than being the main systems of choice.

I think its true that there are some PC elitists but I don't think that its wrong to be that way seeing as the PC have always been better than consoles can ever hope to be. Plus it ain't as bad as the mindless fanboyism that is seen in the other forums (especially system wars, every time I look in there my soul dies a little........and can sense that some of the IQ levels in there are non-existent :) ).

sircyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 sircyrus
Member since 2003 • 6358 Posts

your joking right lol console game better than a pc game lol. They don't even have mmorpg on a console game lol let alone the games even come close to real rpg games out there.

blackdreamhunk

FFXI is a PS2 (and PC) MMO. As for real RPG games, they have far more RPG's than the PC market, some of which were among the best RPGs (FF7, FFX, etc). They've gotten many of the same recent "worth playing" RPG's that the PC has, like Oblivion (sucked).

The problem isn't that they lack in certain genres (though they do in RTS), the problem is that the games are designed differently than most PC games. That line is being blurred in the past few years due to multiplatform gaming. That's not to say console games are becoming more like PC games, but rather PC games being dumbed down to be like console games. That is the main problem, and saying that is why PC gamers can appear to be elitists.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mrbojangles25
[QUOTE="blackdreamhunk"]

sircyrus

FFXI is a PS2 (and PC) MMO. As for real RPG games, they have far more RPG's than the PC market, some of which were among the best RPGs (FF7, FFX, etc). They've gotten many of the same recent "worth playing" RPG's that the PC has, like Oblivion (sucked).

The problem isn't that they lack in certain genres (though they do in RTS), the problem is that the games are designed differently than most PC games. That line is being blurred in the past few years due to multiplatform gaming. That's not to say console games are becoming more like PC games, but rather PC games being dumbed down to be like console games. That is the main problem, and saying that is why PC gamers can appear to be elitists.

Sorry dude but you cant even compare JRPGs to the conventional DnD-type RPGs.  Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights are all far better and more appreciated by professional reviewers than the Final Fantasy series.  Just because FF series is successful on consoles does not mean you can compare it to PC RPGs.

I mean, I tried playing FFXII for over an hour at my friends place and I felt like I was watching a movie!  Atleast DnD-type RPGs make you feel like your part of the movie instead of being a spectator.

COnsoles need to go back to the roots, and that is making games that are different from PC games.  Games like Contra, Mario, etc are just some of the staples that consoles have been successful with and they still have the ability to make unique games such as DDR and Guitar Hero. 

I dont want to sound like a segregationist, but keep PCs and Consoles separate but equal!

Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gen-Gawl
Not to mention that you can mod your PC all you want and you'll be applauded for it. You try that on a console and you get bricked or banned. And on top of that, the console gamers seem to be okay with those companies telling them what they can and can't do with the system they bought!
Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gen-Gawl
[QUOTE="sircyrus"][QUOTE="blackdreamhunk"]

mrbojangles25

Sorry dude but you cant even compare JRPGs to the conventional DnD-type RPGs.  Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights are all far better and more appreciated by professional reviewers than the Final Fantasy series.  Just because FF series is successful on consoles does not mean you can compare it to PC RPGs.

I mean, I tried playing FFXII for over an hour at my friends place and I felt like I was watching a movie!  Atleast DnD-type RPGs make you feel like your part of the movie instead of being a spectator.

I think I disagree. I enjoy playing both and I think both styles are equally appreciated. It just depends what you personally enjoy.