Anyone gets more satisfaction from their Steam game collection than their boxed?

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NanoMan88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NanoMan88
Member since 2006 • 1220 Posts

I know alot of people like having boxed games as they want something physical and looks all nice when their games are on a shelf. But I am finding myself being obsessed with growing my steam collection ever larger. Anyone else more proud of their steam collection than their boxed collection?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
No.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f870bc7412da
deactivated-5f870bc7412da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5f870bc7412da
Member since 2004 • 299 Posts

I like Steam a lot. I've definitely gone more towards DDL's than boxed games, and with Steam, I have no disks to damage or lose!

I do miss reading instruction books though.

psych0mantra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 psych0mantra
Member since 2010 • 231 Posts

I love my boxed collection don't get me wrong, but my Steam collection is my baby. I love my steams games basically because I don't have to worry about the hassle of needing the disks, or the disks getting burned out or damaged from too much play. With Steams back up feature you can literally keep your games forever as long as you keep an up to date backup on them. The only downside is that some games require you to be connected to the internet in order to play them, but then you can just download a crack for them. All in all, I love my Steam game collection more so than my boxed collection. Hands down.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I like Steam a lot. I've definitely gone more towards DDL's than boxed games, and with Steam, I have no disks to damage or lose!

hotstonez
Unless either: - Your account gets hijacked - Steam closes down :)
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

I don't even have a boxed collection... the only game cases I have for PC games are my sister's Sims 3 stuff...

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

I love my boxed collection don't get me wrong, but my Steam collection is my baby. I love my steams games basically because I don't have to worry about the hassle of needing the disks, or the disks getting burned out or damaged from too much play. With Steams back up feature you can literally keep your games forever as long as you keep an up to date backup on them. The only downside is that some games require you to be connected to the internet in order to play them, but then you can just download a crack for them. All in all, I love my Steam game collection more so than my boxed collection. Hands down.

psych0mantra
Cracking them would be illegal right? But anyway....STEAM is very good, although I try not to use it.... I feel it's harder to backup my saved games through it...
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Its not even debatable, I squirmed for boxes of joy as a kid, but that was long ago is all virtual copies now :( and if you still buy boxes people look at you weird for wasting material.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

Its not even debatable, I squirmed for boxes of joy as a kid, but that was long ago is all virtual copies now :( and if you still buy boxes people look at you weird for wasting material.

Bikouchu35
wow, how things have changed hey? So the amount of electricity that your PC and the HUGE STEAM Servers use doesn't affect the environment as much as the material....?? hahahahahahaha....
Avatar image for ColdfireTrilogy
ColdfireTrilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 ColdfireTrilogy
Member since 2005 • 4911 Posts
I just like having my collection .... PERIOD. I built a nice Visual basic app a few years back that allows me to visually arrange all the games I own. Sort of my own collection manager one might say. Always nice to look back and find something worth playing I haven't touched in a while.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bikouchu35

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

FelipeInside

wow, how things have changed hey? So the amount of electricity that your PC and the HUGE STEAM Servers use doesn't affect the environment as much as the material....?? hahahahahahaha....

We still turn on the computer like before, so I dont see your point, and we still connect to servers to play, but now we dont buy any physical material. ???

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

Bikouchu35

We still turn on the computer like before, so I dont see your point, and we still connect to servers to play, but now we dont buy any physical material. ???

It was just a joke mate.... before there were no STEAM servers, and lots of games didn't have MP like now. In the end I think STEAM is great, I just wish the box never disappears cause they look great on a bookshelf....
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

Tbh what I love these days is buying a retail copy of a game that runs through Steam. I'll always have the box and disc, but I won't need to use and damage the disc and can always download the game again if I need to, rather than install from the disc. Steam has many other great features, but I still like to own physical copies of my games.

So in short: both of them at once :P

Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] wow, how things have changed hey? So the amount of electricity that your PC and the HUGE STEAM Servers use doesn't affect the environment as much as the material....?? hahahahahahaha....FelipeInside

It was just a joke mate.... before there were no STEAM servers, and lots of games didn't have MP like now. In the end I think STEAM is great, I just wish the box never disappears cause they look great on a bookshelf....

Or multiple bookshelves and a couple cubic yards of storage space. Seriously I'm running out of room for the stupid things. I literally have gameboxes in what used to be a sock drawer. I had to mix socks and underwear now to make room. Steam is a lifesaver.

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

Ragingbear505

Or multiple bookshelves and a couple cubic yards of storage space. Seriously I'm running out of room for the stupid things. I literally have gameboxes in what used to be a sock drawer. I had to mix socks and underwear now to make room. Steam is a lifesaver.

If you don't like them why don't you throw them out or recycle them?

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Takes too long to download even with a good connection. Even then, I like my game cases.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

I use a second monitor and put it on my bookshelf...then I always keep my STEAM windows maximise in that screen. Best of both worlds!

Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

[QUOTE="Ragingbear505"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] It was just a joke mate.... before there were no STEAM servers, and lots of games didn't have MP like now. In the end I think STEAM is great, I just wish the box never disappears cause they look great on a bookshelf....Captain__Tripps

If you don't like them why don't you throw them out or recycle them?

Some of these things are pretty old and still in good condition. I've considered seeing if I could get a few bucks for them on Ebay but am too lazy to go through the process.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside

I use a second monitor and put it on my bookshelf...then I always keep my STEAM windows maximise in that screen. Best of both worlds!

Daytona_178
Hahahahahhah...classic.....good one mate....
schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

a game has to be damn good for me to buy it if it ISNT on steam these days

love steam

never have a single problem with it

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

I try to only buy boxed games because then no one can come by and say "You dont own this game". Also i dont like steam overall.

I only have steam for the few games where its required.

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts

Actually, yes I do.

The reason why is because my Steam collection is loaded with awesome indie games and a bunch of other cool stuff I picked up for super cheap during their crazy sales. Personally, I find it far more rewarding to be able to say "Check out all these cool games I bought in support of independent developers" or "Check out all these neat games I picked up for incredibly cheap" than to just say "Look how huge my collection is".

I used to have one of those big, impressive bookcases full of game boxes, but when I moved away from home, I realized how impractical that was. Nowadays, I find that my Steam profile actually fills that role a lot more effectively for me. I still think it's cool to own physical copies of old or obscure games, and I do still collect these whenever I come across them, but I just don't care nearly as much as I used to.

Okay, I'll admit it: I absolutely obsess over my Steam collection. For instance, it really bugs me that there are gaps in the alphabetical order of my games (I have no games on my account that start with the letter U, for example). I also can't stand having an odd number of games on my account or in my wishlist, and so I always try to purchase or add them in pairs. I'll even go so far as to Photohop the game listing onto my Community profile page to see how it looks sitting next to the other games before I purchase it.

Yeah, I love Steam. :lol:

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

I try to only buy boxed games because then no one can come by and say "You dont own this game". Also i dont like steam overall.

KalDurenik
Who would come round your house and say that?
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

No. I want to have a physical copy of my games. I'm really scared of the future of gaming with all the DRM crap, and the push towards cloud gaming and the like. The only time I buy a game through Steam is if it's significantly cheaper, or I have no other choice.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

Steam is pretty good. Someone hijacked my account once and support was right there to help me out. :D

XXI_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26 XXI_World
Member since 2008 • 2050 Posts

I love my Steam collection. I don't like having too many physical copies for PC games. They're big, and they don't have a "uniform" feeling compared to a console's game boxes. Also, I've lost some PC games several years ago when my family moved to a new house (it's my fault, but still...). I love seeing my list of games and the little icons beside them. It's just nice.

NeilCardiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 NeilCardiff
Member since 2008 • 834 Posts

No, I prefer physical media.
I buy my games from online retailers, they are cheaper and are often sent the same day.
If it is a pre order I get them early and can play them before Steam releases.
They install much quicker than downloading.
They are always available for quick re-install.
I don't have some heap of crap invasive DRM monitoring what I install and logging what I play, even offline.

AciDiCa-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AciDiCa-
Member since 2009 • 359 Posts

I have 74 games on Steam, & if i had to choose, i would want them in a physical copy. Steam is great, it's easy & quick, that's why i get alot of games from it, but i don't get more satisfaction from my Steam collection than my boxed collection. It's always nice to have one of those CD folders to put your games in, sorting it out in order just in case someone wants to look at your collection. Reminds me of the times when i had sticker books.

KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
[QUOTE="KalDurenik"]

Daytona_178
Who would come round your house and say that?

I once called support for a game and they went LOLOLOLOL you pirated it -.- . But overall if i have a boxed version i have it in my hand so there is no "maybe and so on" No i dont "hate" Steam... I just like boxed games better :)
Darksec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Darksec
Member since 2010 • 46 Posts
The only drawback with DDL for me is release days, especially with MMO's, some of the downloading can be an absolute mare!!
ventnor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ventnor
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

[QUOTE="hotstonez"]

FelipeInside

The thing is your account doesn't get hijacked unless you're an utter idiot and press those "hur durr free gaems login here" links or if you believe someone telling they're an admin asking you to give your password. Besides it requires email confirmation to change password.

And steam wouldn't shut down like that it's really a huge sucess.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a steam fanboy, but I hate when people give stupid reasons.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
No. Retail boxes are sexier and show anybody who enters my home what a maniac gamer I am.
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Takes too long to download even with a good connection. Even then, I like my game cases.Elann2008

No. I can download a 10GB game in less time than it takes me to drive to the store, buy a game, drive back, and install it.

And boxes are really just a pointless waste of space now that publishers are providing PDF manuals when necessary.

psych0mantra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 psych0mantra
Member since 2010 • 231 Posts

[QUOTE="psych0mantra"]

FelipeInside

Cracking them would be illegal right? But anyway....STEAM is very good, although I try not to use it.... I feel it's harder to backup my saved games through it...

I don't think that it's illegal to crack game as long as you own them, I tried doing some research on google for it but came up with mixed answers. There was no reliable source that I could find the info at. I just use the cracks for the convienence of not having to be connected to the internet to play my games. I'm deployed over in Kuwait and the internet is not always available to me so using cracks is sometimes my only way of playing my favorite games from steam without having the internet.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I love steam, but I prefer to have a physical copy if I can help it. A physical copy that requires steam. Now, that is ideal. :P
XXI_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#37 XXI_World
Member since 2008 • 2050 Posts

I love steam, but I prefer to have a physical copy if I can help it. A physical copy that requires steam. Now, that is ideal. :PDoom_HellKnight

I'd love that :P

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Since I have so many more games on steam and they are right at my fingertips I do get more satisfaction from it. I still love my boxed collection though.

Frozzik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Frozzik
Member since 2006 • 3914 Posts

I never really liked boxed PC games anyway. Unlike my PS3/Wii/360 collection there was no uniformity to it. The console collections look great on a shelf but the pc collection is a miss mash of different sized cases, boxes all with different artwork. ( GFW helped a little).

I love my Steam collection, i just wish every single game would be a steamworks title

coolmonkeykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 coolmonkeykid
Member since 2004 • 3276 Posts
I like both, but boxes are definitely nicer. Many games are using steam tho, so you can buy boxed and have the game on steam too.
Tanya_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Tanya_19
Member since 2009 • 396 Posts
i LOVE Steam. No dvds to worry about. I have a few boxed game but hell i hate it. dvds now days can be damaged pretty easly, after some time they all be scratched. I just wish more games were available on Steam.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bikouchu35

It was just a joke mate.... FelipeInside

Okay, was too tired to see the sarcasm.

The new box design kind of scuks compare to before, so I guess I dont feel too bad buying off steam.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
Nope.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#44 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Nope.

Not to mention a few of my Steam games are actually retail games that installed through Steam.

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
Don't even remember the last time I bought a boxed game for PC. Once I moved out and saw how much space my boxed copies where taking it just seemed like a waste of space that I could put other things. Now I have thrown most out and storing some inside of a closet out of sight.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="hotstonez"]

ventnor

The thing is your account doesn't get hijacked unless you're an utter idiot and press those "hur durr free gaems login here" links or if you believe someone telling they're an admin asking you to give your password. Besides it requires email confirmation to change password.

And steam wouldn't shut down like that it's really a huge sucess.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a steam fanboy, but I hate when people give stupid reasons.

I was being sarcastic..... (see smiley face) :) :) :)
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
I really love Steam. Though it can not compete with a good boxed collection.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

Not at all.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
No. In fact most of the great games i've had so much fun are boxed and the games i bought from steam are pretty boring.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FelipeInside
No. In fact most of the great games i've had so much fun are boxed and the games i bought from steam are pretty boring. lordlors
LOL, I don't think cause it's boxed or digital makes it more fun or not.... What if you had bought one of those games that you had so much fun with from STEAM?