Anyone else feel this is the last great year for PC gaming?

• 176 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jd7-03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 jd7-03
Member since 2003 • 6140 Posts

Well I sorta think so, consoles have really taken off, while the PC gamer group keeps shrinking and shrinking. Worse is that piracy has pretty much led to developers shifting there focus from PC only games to PC/ console games. We all know its happening, game series that were once only on the PC are now coming to consoles. Why? Money, thats it. Does anyone else feel this may be the last great year to be a PC gamer?

Games left for this year:

UT2007

Crysis

Half Life 2: Episode 2

Bio Shock

Call of Duty 4

Quake Wars

Nikolicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Nikolicious
Member since 2005 • 730 Posts
No?
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

You cant even name more 3 exclusive titles coming out to the PS3 and 360 that as promising as the PC line-up.

Maddog504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Maddog504
Member since 2006 • 101 Posts
Are you kidding me?

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24525221
Avatar image for justheretodl124
justheretodl124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 justheretodl124
Member since 2005 • 1255 Posts

Are you kidding me?

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24525221Maddog504

You do realise that nearly all of those games are still TBA so they all could easily be pushed into 08 nor will they all be good

Maddog504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Maddog504
Member since 2006 • 101 Posts

[QUOTE="Maddog504"]Are you kidding me?

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24525221justheretodl124

You do realise that nearly all of those games are still TBA so they all could easily be pushed into 08 nor will they all be good

Yeah I know I miss understood him I thought he was talking about PC gaming as we know it coming to an end.
FIghterFX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 FIghterFX
Member since 2006 • 185 Posts
[QUOTE="justheretodl124"]

Yeah I know I miss understood him I thought he was talking about PC gaming as we know it coming to an end.

pc gaming will always be alive but consoles allways die and become more and more like pcs so who is dying?

Whermacht02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Whermacht02
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts

I dont feel anything...

Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
Hopefully there will be no more years this packed... call me selfish, but I like only buying 2-3 games a year.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
I think 2007 has been a bad year because of all the improvements to hardware (Harder for software companys to keep up). Intel and AMD are really at it now. Same for ATI and Nvidia. Seems like they've released a new product every few months.
Mlazaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mlazaro
Member since 2007 • 372 Posts
Dumb question,considering that you dont even know whats in store for 2008.People been crying PC gaming is dead for years.Every year great games after great games are developed.
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Yeah, this year is shaping up to be great! Multi-platform or not, there are some awesome games on the way for the PC.

But I know what you are saying OP. Did you know the PC is a more popular gaming platform in Europe compared to the States? Sometimes it feels like us Americans are a bunch of simpletons that can't handle a little complexity --- becoming more efficient in our ability to use our PCs would do us good rather than taking the easy way out, i.e. consoles.

I don't think PC gaming will ever completely die though, it just might not represent the types of games I've enjoyed in the past as well as it had previously (I'm NOT an MMO fan for example).

Statements like the following are a little bothersome though: Consoles will pretty much define what the next five years of games look like on the PC", Mark Rein reassured. In other words, the power of the PC won't be fully tapped in games because consoles won't be powerful enough, and consoles dictate the industry.

Oh well, PC gaming still rocks for now! And another poster was absolutely right though, there is a definite convergence of PC and console hardware, eventually (we're still a long way away) what will define a "PC" versus a "console"?

ModernTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ModernTimes
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts
Nope, we still have SC2. That is the only game that needs to come out for it to be a good year for the PC.
jd7-03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jd7-03
Member since 2003 • 6140 Posts
[QUOTE="justheretodl124"]

lol, no of course not. I' am talking about the rest of PC gaming for this year. It just doesn't seem like there will be another year where so many potential blockbusters will be coming out for the PC. Hopefully I'm wrong, I own a 360 and a Wii but still love playing on my gaming PC the best.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c20477a5e387
deactivated-5c20477a5e387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5c20477a5e387
Member since 2003 • 4291 Posts

You cant even name more 3 exclusive titles coming out to the PS3 and 360 that as promising as the PC line-up.

XaosII

Out of all the potentially good games that are coming out for the PC this year, Crysis is the only exclusive.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
The last great year of PC Gaming was a long time ago. Until these all come out and get amazing scores, I'm convinced that this year isn't anything special (except for Crysis). With every one of those except Crysis being multi-plat, Crysis is the only thing that could turn this year around.
Anthony9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Anthony9000
Member since 2006 • 2173 Posts

i hope next year will have like half the games coming out this year cause i'm gonna be broke...

Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#18 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts

PC gaming is dying PC gaming is dying!!

As someone once said stated: "PC Gaming: happly dying since 1984"

Gruug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#19 Gruug
Member since 2004 • 735 Posts
PC gaming is far from dead. In fact, there are a number of games that are on track for release next year AND the year after that I am really looking forward to seeing. Consoles have supposedly killed the PC since the Atari console came out many years ago. Fact is, the PC evolves each yearwhile the consoles stagnate for upwards of three and four years. What WAS a super console last year has now been surpassed by the new PC hardware. The console companies would like to believe that the "PC is dead or dying" but it just isn't going to happen.
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
Constant upgrades will be the death of it. I've been upgrading nonstop for 13 years and I'm sick of it.
middito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 middito
Member since 2003 • 955 Posts

there wont be an end to PC gaming, please tell me whats the difference between a console and pc on hardware comparison?

there isnt any, consoles are just watered downed gaming pc's. and if there was an end to gaming pc's what would people do? just stop playing there pc's cause someone hasnt ported titles from consoles yet? There probably wont be an end to pc gaming, and if there was, it'll be because it was the end of the world or someting like that.

so what are you smoking?

Sephiroth__666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sephiroth__666
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts
Ummmmm, no. What about Hellgate and Fallout 3 next year? Not to mention others.
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
Ummmmm, no. What about Hellgate and Fallout 3 next year? Not to mention others. Sephiroth__666
Hellgate is just another mmo with fees and Fallout 3 is already ruined by Bethesda.
Mossad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mossad
Member since 2002 • 1957 Posts

As someone pointed out, PC gaming is bigger abroad. Look at Korea for example. Professional PC gamers are huge stars over there. The U.S. is oddly backwards when it comes to computers. The U.S. is pretty much the center of technological developement. ATI, AMD, Intel, Nvidia, Sun, Apple, IBM just to name a few are all U.S. Companies. Yet when it comes to things like broadband adoption, we lag behind even Estonia. (Please note I'm from the U.S. and this is not meant as a flame against the U.S.)

Also, as someone else mentioned, consoles are becoming more and more like PCs. Heck the Xbox pretty much IS just a PC. Rather than PC gaming dying, I think you'll eventually see PC and console gaming converging. I dont think it will happen for many years but it will happen.

middito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 middito
Member since 2003 • 955 Posts

Also, as someone else mentioned, consoles are becoming more and more like PCs. Heck the Xbox pretty much IS just a PC. Rather than PC gaming dying, I think you'll eventually see PC and console gaming converging. I dont think it will happen for many years but it will happen.

Mossad

thank you

masters89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 masters89
Member since 2004 • 1930 Posts
its actually up to games companies.
NikeGolf737

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NikeGolf737
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
I Agree, The PC platform is rapidly declining. It is still a buisness cycle though, The PC will rebound eventually, and probably have some good future years. As a developer, I can safely say that PC games right now do not make much money. You can only sell them for 50, there is a smaller audience, and it is too costly these days to upgrade computer systems to equal console graphics. The PC will always have its strengths. You can't beat a good PC RTS, and PC shooters are an entire different breed. The PC is dying, but just for the time being.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
No.
Revolution_DDM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Revolution_DDM
Member since 2005 • 274 Posts
PC gaming is far from dead. As a few people have said, consoles are becoming more and more like PCs. There is only two reasons I would buy a console. The first, would be the exclusives. The second would be that you don't have to upgrade your console. But in all truth, you don't have to upgrade all that much.
SorasGhost009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SorasGhost009
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts

I completely dissagree with you

Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts

No?Nikolicious

I agree. PC games will keep going strong. We normally get more than a few AAA titles per year. That's on par with any console. And everyone gets their fair share of crap games.This year is a good year and I'm sure next year will be good as well for the PC.

Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts

[QUOTE="Sephiroth__666"]Ummmmm, no. What about Hellgate and Fallout 3 next year? Not to mention others. BounceDK
Hellgate is just another mmo with fees and Fallout 3 is already ruined by Bethesda.

Doesn't hellgate have a pretty substantial single player campaign?

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I don't think PC gaming is dying.
Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

Well I sorta think so, consoles have really taken off, while the PC gamer group keeps shrinking and shrinking. Worse is that piracy has pretty much led to developers shifting there focus from PC only games to PC/ console games. We all know its happening, game series that were once only on the PC are now coming to consoles. Why? Money, thats it. Does anyone else feel this may be the last great year to be a PC gamer?

Games left for this year:

UT2007

Crysis

Half Life 2: Episode 2

Bio Shock

Call of Duty 4

Quake Wars

jd7-03

Why the hell are idiots like you PC gamers? Where do you morons get the idea that PC gaming is dying?

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#35 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts
[QUOTE="Alkpaz"]PC gaming is dying PC gaming is dying!! As someone once said stated: "PC Gaming: happly dying since 1984"

I believe that was me. :D And it's actually 1985 - the year the Nintendo Entertainment System or ("NES") was released in the United States of America. Some smart-mouth declared that event "the beginning of the end of PC gaming."  Well, 22 years later, we're still here.
Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Alkpaz

[QUOTE="Alkpaz"]PC gaming is dying PC gaming is dying!! As someone once said stated: "PC Gaming: happly dying since 1984"madrocketeer
I believe that was me. :D And it's actually 1985 - the year the Nintendo Entertainment System or ("NES") was released in the United States of America. Some smart-mouth declared that event "the beginning of the end of PC gaming."  Well, 22 years later, we're still here.

My mistake.. :)

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts
There's plenty of goodness to come!! Especially with STEAM at full throtle with their new update, PC Gaming is getting bigger and better everyday. Down with the haters....
Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Alkpaz

There's plenty of goodness to come!! Especially with STEAM at full throtle with their new update, PC Gaming is getting bigger and better everyday. Down with the haters....mismajor99

Hey, Mismajor.. do you know if Hexen and Heretic actually work on XP? I don't recall them making a Heretic or Hexen for Windows 95 like they did with Doom. If so.. that pack is an "instabuy"

Mossad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mossad
Member since 2002 • 1957 Posts
[QUOTE="Mossad"]

middito

thank you

How convenient. Here we're having this discussion and here is an article fresh from the presses on how the PS3 is trying to be more PC like.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#40 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts
Hey, Mismajor.. do you know if Hexen and Heretic actually work on XP? I don't recall them making a Heretic or Hexen for Windows 95 like they did with Doom. If so.. that pack is an "instabuy"Alkpaz
I don't believe there was ever a Windows 95 version like Doom, but I've searched both games, and they both seem to be supported by DOSBox, so you could try that. DOSBox is available at: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/
Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Alkpaz

[QUOTE="Alkpaz"]Hey, Mismajor.. do you know if Hexen and Heretic actually work on XP? I don't recall them making a Heretic or Hexen for Windows 95 like they did with Doom. If so.. that pack is an "instabuy"madrocketeer
I don't believe there was ever a Windows 95 version like Doom, but I've searched both games, they both seem to be supported by DOSBox, so you could try that. DOSBox is available at: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

Of course through that.. Thanks though. I have System Shock 1 running through DosBox.. just wondering if the STEAM version of the games run natively in XP.

I have yet to buy the pack due to that reason. Although having Quake 2 w/exps is also another reason to buy. Damn STEAM is gonna dry my savings out at this rate. lol

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

[QUOTE="mismajor99"]There's plenty of goodness to come!! Especially with STEAM at full throtle with their new update, PC Gaming is getting bigger and better everyday. Down with the haters....Alkpaz

Hey, Mismajor.. do you know if Hexen and Heretic actually work on XP? I don't recall them making a Heretic or Hexen for Windows 95 like they did with Doom. If so.. that pack is an "instabuy"

Yes, they work perfectly in XP. They use Doxbox to run the games as it comes with each game that runs automatically. Happy fragging!

Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Alkpaz

nice!! okay.. me buy... haven't played Heretic and Hexen for eons.. lol

This alone should tell you something.. PC gaming is never going to die.. at least in my lifetime.. If it does.. I am suing Valve for loss of games. :P

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts
I have no idea what you're talking about and PLEASE stop making these threads, there's already like 100 of them.
TA127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TA127
Member since 2007 • 774 Posts
Hell no..dont ever say that again!!!
Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#46 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
There is still many great years to come for the PC. I cant wait to see what games are coming in 2008 and 2009. With Directx 10 soon become more and more popular among developers, we will see many great games coming soon.
pilouuuu2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 pilouuuu2004
Member since 2004 • 1075 Posts

No, I don't! I think this hasn't been such a great year for PC gaming. Next years should be much better, because by then PCs will surpass consoles by a long distance.

I'm bored of people saying about how consoles are better than PCs for gaming. Because there is a bunch of new "next-gen" consoles people keep saying that. PCs had been around for many years, much more than any generation of consoles and even arcade games.

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#48 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
Nah, next year will be a lot better than this. I mean Spore alone saves PC gaming next year, if it even needs saving.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

[QUOTE="Sephiroth__666"]Ummmmm, no. What about Hellgate and Fallout 3 next year? Not to mention others. BounceDK

:lol:

Lonezerth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lonezerth
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

Damn, and I thought that PG gaming was dying and this year was going to be horrible, yet here we are, stating that this year is going to be the last great year for PC gaming. Once again.

PC gaming is as dead as console gaming, yet noone seems to be aware of that.