2008 - Which Game Purchases Do You Regret?

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts

For me, its pretty obvious...

GTA 4 - My current system is dual core and Rockstar was not kidding when they recommended a quad. I love this game but I can't get it to run the way I want it to and I've tried every trick there is out there.

FarCry 2 - I loved FarCry and was looking forward to this one but for some reason this game just has no soul. I wish they would of stuck with the linear open world campaign of the first game instead of the open world sandbox. The game is just not fun.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
Assasin's Creed and Prince of Persia - Both game being totally repetitive with doing same thing over and over again. With these two games and Far cry 2, I really dislike the new direction many Ubisoft games are taking
Fiend_106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 Fiend_106
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I don't think I've regretted buying any game in 2008. The only game I do regret ever buying though was BF2.

Anyway, what's wrong with GTAIV and a dual core processor? I've ordered it for PC but I haven't received it yet and I have a E4600 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo :?

Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
Well, my monitor is 1920x1200 and when I put the game at anything lower than that it looks like crap (because there's no anti-aliasing). When I leave it at 1920x1200, I get missing textures. I've overclocked my CPU to 3.4 GHz (its a E6600) but now the game is unstable and it crashes after about a minute. I'm still tweaking my overclocked cpu, it may need a bit more voltage to remain stable.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts
Command and Conquer Red Alert 3.
Avatar image for smashingpunk007
smashingpunk007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 smashingpunk007
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Rainbow Six Vegas 2-Last Ubi game i will ever buy, bought it to play online and harly anyone plays online ;/, cause Ubi messed up the server browser and you cant even see your ping ;/.
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

I can't think of any games I bought in '08 that I absolutely regretted, although I haven't yet played all that I bought either...so there's still a possibility :D Overall, another fun year of gaming on the PC.

I'll commiserate with you on GTA4 though anyway: I had passed it up on consoles and waited for it on the PC. Unfortunately, when it finally arrived I was dissapointed to learn of it's DRM (SecuROM/activation) + bloatware (RGSC) + add'l software requirements/dependencies (IE, Adobe Flash) + un-pc friendly direction in implementation (only 360, or 360 derivative controllers supported) + poor optimization (hearsay though since I haven't actually run it on any of my machines).

I ended up getting GTA4 on the PS3 instead -- it takes alot man, ALOT man :P, to get me to make that choice when there's a PC version of a game readily available! Though this is one I'd do again in a heartbeat.

LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts
far cry 2. It should be worth $30.
LordImperius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LordImperius
Member since 2007 • 60 Posts
I don't completely regret buying The Force Unleashed but 8-10 hours of gameplay isn't worth sixty dollars in my opinion...That game didn't keep up with the hype that was so tightly glued to it, but it was fun as hell and I beat it four or five times in a row, so I'm going to trade it in to help me buy Call of Duty: World at War next week!
arijit_2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 arijit_2404
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts

I have no regret except Assassins Creed and Red alert 3 (it's a good game but frankly nowhere near the ra2 or even kane's wrath/tiberiun wars - not worth that much of money for me).

Many games I went to buy and didn't buy at last moment, later played those games at friends place (or borrowed from them) which should have been wastage of my hard-earned money. - Farcry2 , C0D4/C0D5 (I ain't for MP, and SP was too short to spend that much of money), crysis warhead (shorter than crysis!!!), spore (not my kind). Thanks god I didn't buy those, or else my list would grow. :P

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

crysis warhead (shorter than crysis!!!)

arijit_2404

And cheaper, better, and with good multiplayer.

I regret getting Fallout 3, it's a piece of crap.

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
It's hard for me to regret buying games, but Alone In The Dark was a deception.
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts
NWN2- Storm of Zehir. Crushingly dull and repetative.
Amigro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Amigro
Member since 2003 • 737 Posts

Far Cry 2: I still haven't finished it. Once I get done with my other games, I'll probably try to finish it up. I think the game had a lot of good features, but they are very hard to appreciate with the endless driving, horrible AI, repetetive missions and the damned checkpoints. Maybe for $30...

GTA IV: Got it for the 360 first, so I didn't deal with the hardware issues that the PC seems to have had. The game itself was very frustrating, story was pretty lacking and there was almost no difference at all between this and the others in the series. It's still sitting unfinished in the living room.

Red Alert 3: Thought this was a decent game, but not worth $50. I just wish I had waited until it went down in price.

Army of Two: I know this is the PC forum, but if this ever happens to come out for the PC, don't buy it. Most unpolished game I have played in a while. I appreciate the somewhat unique gameplay aspect that they tried to bring in with the aggro, but it didn't really vibe well with me. Do it better or leave it to the MMOs.

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts
STALKER
qpYoungonEqp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 qpYoungonEqp
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Me and my best friend just got into computer gaming and we got good systems. we wanted to buy games that have Co-op Online play or just online at the most.

So we both bought:

Need for Speed: Prostreet & Area 51: Blacksite

They both suck..... and i forgot to return them both...

knut-am

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 knut-am
Member since 2003 • 1442 Posts
Pure and Far Cry 2
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
Far Cry 2
chapman86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 chapman86
Member since 2004 • 583 Posts
Far Cry 2...worst sequel ever...or a sequel in deception
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10488 Posts

a vampyres story - disappointing adventure game with an annoying lead character

far cry 2 - uggh where to start?

r6lv2 - not a patch on the previous game

MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts
I've had a few games in my life that if I could go back I would have never bought. THe most recent ones being Far Cry 2 and Spore, horrible, horrible games that I was just looking forward to so much that I just brushed aside all the warnings. Never again.
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
and SporeMadCat46
I can't believe I forgot Spore. Talk about boring. My list is now Far Cry 2 and Spore.
h1dd3n5had0w

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 h1dd3n5had0w
Member since 2005 • 2141 Posts
Farcry 2 for me also.....I wish I could just give it away on Steam somehow.
iratheous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 iratheous
Member since 2004 • 60 Posts

Fallout 3 (No fun, boring and humorless). Admittedly I'd have been happier with a redux of Fallout 1 or 2 instead of this..

Bioshock: Biggest waste of money in years. Talk about over hyped.

Warhammer Online (zZZzZzZzz)

The Witcher: I've tried and tried to get into this, even upgraded to the EE edition with the free patch... I truly don't understand all the hype. I think this is an instance where I'm just not 'getting it'.

stenfisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 stenfisk
Member since 2006 • 232 Posts
Spore, meh.
aveman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 aveman1
Member since 2004 • 3383 Posts
Far Cry 2. Completely underwelming. If it didn't have the brand name, I guarentee it would have recieved a 5.0 instead of the 8.5 it has on Gamespot.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Let's see here, I didn't buy too many new games so I will just list all of them I didn't like from the year.

Fallout 3, the game is great but it's missing something. It feels like an incomplete masterpeice that with just a little more work could have been something truly amazing.

Gothic 3, so buggy I can't even play 5 minutes without a slowdown on my system that runs crysis just fine.

Fallout, I bought the original after 3 looking for some good backstory. I couldn't stand the slow-paced game, yet I can play NWN fine. Guess it just isn't my bag.

Medieval 2 Total War: Good game when I bought it on steam, I bought the gold to have it and expansion on retail. Guess what? Securom thinks I'm a pirate and I can't play a game I payed and own.

Bioshock: Loooking for a game that is good because I heard it was like system shock 2. I am never buying into hype again, ever. The game itself plays fairly well but the story is bleh and the enemies are poor. This wouldn't have been all that bad if it hadn't taken me half a dozen installs because of, you guessed it, securom to get it to work. I am never buying a game with it again, EVER.

Deus Ex: I am going to get crucified for this I know but I cannot play a game that performs poorly. This game either sped up or slows down to a crawl. I looked all over the net and applied every fix I could find and no-luck. I don't know how the game is itself but if the game doesn't run then it isn't worth playing as a buggy mess.

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts
World of Warcraft - My friends convinced me to buy it. Its an okay game, but its to much grinding for my taste, and I dont want to pay every month.
Kaelken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kaelken
Member since 2007 • 531 Posts

For me, its pretty obvious...

GTA 4 - My current system is dual core and Rockstar was not kidding when they recommended a quad. I love this game but I can't get it to run the way I want it to and I've tried every trick there is out there.

FarCry 2 - I loved FarCry and was looking forward to this one but for some reason this game just has no soul. I wish they would of stuck with the linear open world campaign of the first game instead of the open world sandbox. The game is just not fun.

Gooeykat

Sorry to hear about your time spent with GTA 4. I've been waiting two years to upgrade my PC for IV, but with things they way they are, I am staying on my laptop lmao

Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts
Spore, Spore, **** Spore....
pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts
Far Cry 2: Its just crud.
jmnderson69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jmnderson69
Member since 2008 • 1236 Posts
Far Cry 2...
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#35 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I bought STALKER this year and payed $50 (au) for it - now its about half that price. It was okay, but very annoying in parts. I didn't think Fallout 3 was as good as it could have been.
CoolBreezes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#36 CoolBreezes
Member since 2009 • 53 Posts

WOW: Was just... wow, why`d I buy this?

Spore: Wasn`t bad at first, then it got boring...

Far Cry 2: Everybody knows why!

dbowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dbowman
Member since 2005 • 6836 Posts
GTA IV. All the fun is sucked out of this game by the terrible performance.
Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

Far Cry 2! - for reasons already named!

Dead space! - Because the camera angles and control scheme ruined the experience so much that i couldn't bring myself to continue playing it! :?

KillaB84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KillaB84
Member since 2008 • 61 Posts
Age of Conan and Warhammer Online
Avatar image for GmodPortalStuff
GmodPortalStuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GmodPortalStuff
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Definately, Doom 3 for PC. Even on my new computer, when I first got it, it wouldn't go further than one step. It just froze, and I had to CTRL ALT DLT, and if it didn't work, I had to turn off the CPU by pressing Power.
Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts

Let's see here, I didn't buy too many new games so I will just list all of them I didn't like from the year.

Fallout 3, the game is great but it's missing something. It feels like an incomplete masterpeice that with just a little more work could have been something truly amazing.

Gothic 3, so buggy I can't even play 5 minutes without a slowdown on my system that runs crysis just fine.

Fallout, I bought the original after 3 looking for some good backstory. I couldn't stand the slow-paced game, yet I can play NWN fine. Guess it just isn't my bag.

Medieval 2 Total War: Good game when I bought it on steam, I bought the gold to have it and expansion on retail. Guess what? Securom thinks I'm a pirate and I can't play a game I payed and own.

Bioshock: Loooking for a game that is good because I heard it was like system shock 2. I am never buying into hype again, ever. The game itself plays fairly well but the story is bleh and the enemies are poor. This wouldn't have been all that bad if it hadn't taken me half a dozen installs because of, you guessed it, securom to get it to work. I am never buying a game with it again, EVER.

Deus Ex: I am going to get crucified for this I know but I cannot play a game that performs poorly. This game either sped up or slows down to a crawl. I looked all over the net and applied every fix I could find and no-luck. I don't know how the game is itself but if the game doesn't run then it isn't worth playing as a buggy mess.

Whiteblade999

Which Deus Ex? The original is not a buggy game and never was. Just cause you couldn't get it running is not an old games fault. I run it on my XP machine and it runs flawlessly. Haven't tried on my Vista machine because there would be no perfomance increase and the graphics are dated at best. But I still love it.

I do regret buying Stalker but not because it was a poor game, I just couldn't get into it.

Helbrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Helbrec
Member since 2008 • 1325 Posts
Warhammer Online and Age of Conan.
fatzebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fatzebra
Member since 2005 • 1470 Posts
Sin of a Solar Empire, and Far Cry 2.
Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts
I'm not sure if it's a 2008 game, but I regret getting CnC 3 and Turock, both games I was so excited for and then they just lost their charm.
uchihataru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 uchihataru
Member since 2007 • 531 Posts

brothers in arms hells highway...well actually its not so bad but its just not what i really expected...

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#46 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
I would be saying FarCry 2 if I would have bought it. I had it in my hand, but I heard it got really repetitive fast so I didn't buy it. This year I don't regret any of my purchaes (even Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires).
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts
[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

Rickylee

Which Deus Ex? The original is not a buggy game and never was. Just cause you couldn't get it running is not an old games fault. I run it on my XP machine and it runs flawlessly. Haven't tried on my Vista machine because there would be no perfomance increase and the graphics are dated at best. But I still love it.

I do regret buying Stalker but not because it was a poor game, I just couldn't get into it.

Yes the original, it is glitchy on vista.

Edit: It is hardly old, it isn't even 10 years old yet. I have every one of my dos games and some oldies like Blood II working just fine...

AKS_74U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AKS_74U
Member since 2005 • 1841 Posts
GTA 4
Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

Stalker: SoC and X3: Reunion 2.5. they are both old titles, and both didn't last more than 15 min. i'm generally satisfied with the 2k8 titles i've bought, which aren't alot to begin with.

w0lfbreeder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 w0lfbreeder
Member since 2007 • 426 Posts

Rainbow Six Vegas 2-Last Ubi game i will ever buy, bought it to play online and harly anyone plays online ;/, cause Ubi messed up the server browser and you cant even see your ping ;/.smashingpunk007

I'd agree with this,,,except i got it on my 360 which was even worse. such an ugly game.