Charles456k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Charles456k
Member since 2013 • 34 Posts

I have a PS4 pro now and an original day one xbox one and I was thinking about getting a PC. Now I know the whole spew of PC master race, but here are my few dilemmas.

1. I have always been a console gamer and have never used a keyboard to game.

2. All my friends play on console and I think if I start playing PC, I'll want to stay on it and never play on my consoles.

3. PCs cost more in the long run because you have to change parts more often to stay up to date.

4. I love the whole trophy and achievement system with consoles. Idk if PC has this

5. Modders and hackers seem to be more prevalent on pc.

6. I know graphics and framerates blow consoles away, but I feel that consoles will get there. Never on par, but keep up at least.

I keep arguing with myself about getting a PC and I keep talking myself out of it. I dont want to leave my friends behind. Moneys not a problem, so I could get a good rig, but i dont know the first thing when it comes to upkeep or anything like that with a PC. I'm lost and torn on what to do. Get a PC and leave consoles and my friends behind or get the best of both consoles and just stay where my friends are and never get to see the glorious days of PC. I would like advice if anyone has any.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Pc the games are cheaper

Once you have a decent Pc they last as long as a console. I've never swapped parts unless its to fix it. I would just upgrade the whole thing like a console.

They are easier to fix.

The parts have warranty not the whole thing.

Steam/Xbox has achievements

I use a controller on my PC

PC can do more than Console (the only reason I have a PC) like word.

Consoles just setup and play.

Cost is better TV and Console cost the same as a decent PC.

No settings to mess with.

I've got xbox one, PS4 and PC. I use my Xbox the most though, I like the controller and UI over PS4. Plus my misses is on the Pc a bit. Ps4 I only use for exclusives and for the kids to watch tv on.

Charles456k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Charles456k
Member since 2013 • 34 Posts

@npiet1: thank you for the info

Enragedhydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Enragedhydra
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

@charles456k said:

I have a PS4 pro now and an original day one xbox one and I was thinking about getting a PC. Now I know the whole spew of PC master race, but here are my few dilemmas.

2. All my friends play on console and I think if I start playing PC, I'll want to stay on it and never play on my consoles.

3. PCs cost more in the long run because you have to change parts more often to stay up to date.

4. I love the whole trophy and achievement system with consoles. Idk if PC has this

6. I know graphics and framerates blow consoles away, but I feel that consoles will get there. Never on par, but keep up at least.

I keep arguing with myself about getting a PC and I keep talking myself out of it. I dont want to leave my friends behind. Moneys not a problem, so I could get a good rig, but i dont know the first thing when it comes to upkeep or anything like that with a PC. I'm lost and torn on what to do. Get a PC and leave consoles and my friends behind or get the best of both consoles and just stay where my friends are and never get to see the glorious days of PC. I would like advice if anyone has any.

Modders and hackers are not the same thing. Modders is something that is done to enhance a game or to extend it's life cycle and lots of developers include modding tools and this is done as a favor to the gaming community as a whole. Lots of Bioware games that games that are buggy are fixed by modders
1) Well you could say the same thing if you wanted to switch to a console. Using a keyboard to game on just takes some practice but after a little bit of time you will get used to it and often to can customize the keys to your liking

2) Normally it is good to stick to what your friends play, why can't you have a gaming PC as well? There are lots of games on PC that never come to console and the multiplats are often cheaper on PC as well,
maybe you can show the benefits of PC gaming to your friends as well.

3) I have not changed parts in 3 years now and my PC is still going strong, it is a flat out myth that you constantly have to upgrade your hardware. I'm still running an RX480 4GBs onboard with 8 gigs of ram and I can still play all the new titles. Yes PC gaming is more expensive to start up but you get access to a larger library of games (more than all the consoles combined, ultimate backwards compatibility )

4) There are Steam Achievments
https://steamcommunity.com/stats/379720/achievements these are the achievements for DOOM

5) Hacking which really is not as big of problem as people make it out to be is flat out cheating in a game (which can be done on consoles)

6) To be honest by the time consoles get to where high end PCs are at, PCs will be ahead again. Even still my modest PC can run The Witcher 3 and DOOM at 100+ fps. Consoles can't do that.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#5 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

@charles456k said:

I use a Xbox One Controller on all of my games.

You are probably right as you will enjoy the PC more.

Incorrect. If you bought a 1080 Ti last year, it will be more powerful than next gens GPU most likely and won't have to update. Also you don't have to pay for online and games are way cheaper. I generally pay around $25-$40 on games on release date.

Steam has achievement system

Only on lower budget games. All your mainstream games have no issues.

They blow consoles away and will always blow them away on FPS and graphics.

This is totally up to you. Sounds like you need to do some research on building a PC. I would check on Tech Deals on YouTube builds as he has some go how-to videos from choosing parts and why to building the PC, to installing all software.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@charles456k said:

Although I typically prefer not to - most games, IMO feel better with keyboard and mouse except things like racing and platforming games - you can rock your X1 controller on your PC just fine. Most games support this and will give you the same experience you have come to expect.

@charles456k said:

Honestly, I think this is the biggest concern from your list. Microsoft's play-anywhere system helps a little bit with this if you are willing to tolerate the XBox app and store on Win10, but it's hardly going to ensure you can always play every game together with your console friends.

BUT - since you own the consoles, and wouldn't get much for selling them, why not just use them to ensure you can play online with friends when that comes up?

@charles456k said:

This is just a myth IMO. I think I probably pay less for my PC in the long run than I do for consoles. You do NOT need to upgrade often - you can upgrade daily if you have no self control, but you can go a console life cycle without upgrading if you wanted to stick to your guns. The fact that online is free, games are typically cheaper, and it can play decades of games (giving you a much larger library, and typically a dirt cheap one once you turn your eye on older classics) means you quickly get your value back on a comparatively larger up front investment in the hardware.

@charles456k said:

It does.

@charles456k said:

Modders are a good thing. They don't do anything to you. They create customizations you can optionally choose to download and implement to make the game more to your liking. Don't want to mod? Don't.

Hackers can be a bad thing, but I basically never run into this issue - I think you have to be a hardcore online gamer to regularly bump into these folks. And, really, when you do - how often does it actually prevent you from playing the game and having fun?

@charles456k said:

This is probably not going to change. Consoles work on long cycles - they release at roughly mid-range PC level, and then fall slowly behind over the generation (but typically compensate with devs getting smarter about how to code for them), and then jump back up to mid-range level with the next generation. Not sure how this can/should factor into your decision. It's kind of an eternal reality, and how much the graphics and framerate matter to you is something only you can decide.

My personal opinion (less popular) is that the graphics don't matter much. I just don't care that much. But I like a buttery framerate, I like the customizability of the the games and the fact that I can mod (or not) and adjust settings however I please to get whatever experience I want out of the games. Most importantly, I love that I can play basically any game - you read about X1s backwards compatibility and while MS deserves a pat on the back for that it pretty much sucks balls compared to the idea of playing any game you've ever wanted (with weird bug/stability exceptions) on a PC. I love retro gaming so this is huge for me

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

I love PC gaming, but I would stick with consoles if your friends are there.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

I've been a PC player since Doom shareware on floppy disks and I wouldn't switch, but I wouldn't recommend abandoning your friends for PC.