14 Year Anniversary of Half-Life 2. Release of Half-Life 3 is now longer than Duke Nukem Forever Development Time.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Today marks the 14 Year Anniversary of the release of Half-Life 2. What's equally sad is that the development time for Duke Nukem Forever is now less than the time it will take for Half-Life 3 to come out (if it will ever come out). Duke Nukem Forever took 14 years to come since it's started development in 1997 to the year it was released in 2011. If Half-Life 3 comes out it will actually be longer than the time it took to release a follow up to Half-Life 2 which is a shame. Half-Life 2 is probably my top two most favorite shooter along with the original Crysis. It broke new grounds in terms story telling, facial animation and innovation in gaming. It's appalling that it's taking so long for Half-Life 3 to come out that it's now longer than the development time of Duke Nukem Forever!

Let's face it, Valve has gotten lazy. Steam is now a cash cow and they no longer have any incentive or motivation to produce Half-Life 3. I don't think Gabe Newell cares anymore now that he is a billionaire. Or he want's to push out a game that raises the bar like Half-Life 2 did when it came out that he thinks he can't make anything like that anymore.

Before some idiot claims that Half-Life Episode 1 came out in 2006 and Episode 2 came out 2007 which would make today 12 and 11 years since the last Half-Life entry, that still is 12 to 11 years. Plenty of time to make Episode 3. I think if Valve was going to delay the release of Half-Life 3 or not release it at all they should have release Episode 3 and be done with the franchise.

What do you guys think? Will we ever see Half-Life 3? Valve no longer cares? It's sad that a developer like 3D Realms (which was notorious for mis-management) managed to push out a game, a follow up to Duke Nukem 3D in 14 years than the time it took Valve to release a follow up to Half-Life 3!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Half Life 3 will never be made, the chances you'll see it is when Steam will no longer be number 1 selling platform.

They might will never do since they saw the failure of Duke Nukem Forever

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts
@PredatorRules said:

Half Life 3 will never be made

Honestly I think it will be made eventually. Movie studios are making sequels to 20 year old movies nowadays and they're doing well. It's just a matter of how long it will take. A Half-Life VR game is in development so they still care about the series. I wouldn't be surprised if they're quietly working on Half-Life 3. Valve is worth like $3 billion dollars, they have plenty of reSOURCEs (pun intended). Releasing Half-Life 3 would literally be the most hyped video game of all time. It would break the goddamn internet. Valve is a smart company and if they're developing it then I think they're doing the right thing by pretending it's dead, pissing people off, and letting it be treated as a joke. Remember the batshit crap they did for Portal 2's release? It would have that much more effect once it gets announced.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

I think that Half Life 3 will be made. They're already talking about a VR Half Life game. This ride ain't over.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@saintsatan: Can't agree on this one, Valve won't ruin their name, it'll impact on their Steam sales and reputation.

But they might think of HL1+2 Remaster.

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 schu

@PredatorRules: Bookmarking thread for arbitrary date in the future :)

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Valve already explained why there will not be a HalLife 3. Its because it will never ever live up to its hype.

"Release of Half-Life 3 is now longer than Duke Nukem Forever Development Time." That might be true but as said its not like HL3 is even in development or they never said its in development any way so this is a false statement really.

bronzeheart92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8 bronzeheart92
Member since 2017 • 129 Posts

So, what new can Valve bring to the table exactly with HL3? I think that would be a good place to start...

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#9 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts
@saintsatan said:
@PredatorRules said:

Honestly I think it will be made eventually. Movie studios are making sequels to 20 year old movies nowadays and they're doing well. It's just a matter of how long it will take. A Half-Life VR game is in development so they still care about the series. I wouldn't be surprised if they're quietly working on Half-Life 3. Valve is worth like $3 billion dollars, they have plenty of reSOURCEs (pun intended). Releasing Half-Life 3 would literally be the most hyped video game of all time. It would break the goddamn internet. Valve is a smart company and if they're developing it then I think they're doing the right thing by pretending it's dead, pissing people off, and letting it be treated as a joke. Remember the batshit crap they did for Portal 2's release? It would have that much more effect once it gets announced.

Except the release between Portal 1 and 2 was 4 years. Where as the time period now stands at 14 years big difference.

@PredatorRules said:

@saintsatan: Can't agree on this one, Valve won't ruin their name, it'll impact on their Steam sales and reputation.

How many re-masters have I heard of again for HL1 and HL2. I remember Half-Life Source (which I played) through. Then there was this another group that was working on a re-make for Half-Life 1. I personally wouldn't go back and play those again since I already played HL1 and HL2. I think they would be better off working of HL Episode 3 or HL3.

@skipper847 said:

Valve already explained why there will not be a HalLife 3. Its because it will never ever live up to its hype.

"Release of Half-Life 3 is now longer than Duke Nukem Forever Development Time." That might be true but as said its not like HL3 is even in development or they never said its in development any way so this is a false statement really.

Never said they were in development. Stating that it's now longer than the development time of Duke Nukem Forever.

@schu said:

Be my guest. :)

manhunt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#10 manhunt2
Member since 2018 • 15 Posts

best game ever

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 schu

@Xtasy26 said:
@saintsatan said:
@PredatorRules said:

Except the release between Portal 1 and 2 was 4 years. Where as the time period now stands at 14 years big difference.

@PredatorRules said:

How many re-masters have I heard of again for HL1 and HL2. I remember Half-Life Source (which I played) through. Then there was this another group that was working on a re-make for Half-Life 1. I personally wouldn't go back and play those again since I already played HL1 and HL2. I think they would be better off working of HL Episode 3 or HL3.

@skipper847 said:

Never said they were in development. Stating that it's now longer than the development time of Duke Nukem Forever.

@schu said:

Be my guest. :)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-04-looks-like-valve-writer-erik-wolpaw-has-rejoined-the-company