Youtuber puts up fat-shaming video, gets ripped apart by internet.

• 167 results
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

So I just came across this thanks to facebook. Some dumbass named Nicole Arbour put up a fat shaming video under the guise of comedy. Unfortunately she is horribly unfunny and fairly stupid to boot (she actually throws an awful race joke in the video as well...) and it seems people are fighting back.

I can't link the original video as it has been "taken down". Fun thing here is she claims youtube disabled her account and took the video down, but people are point there being a diffferent "oh no this video has been taken down" screen than what is put up when youtube itself takes the video down and are saying it seems she took the video down herself to play victim.

Instead, here is a great response video that yes is twice as long as the original, but that is because it constantly has a comedian by the name Shawn Halpin interjecting funny responses to the womens stupidity.

It really baffles me that people actually think this type of shit is "helpful". It really isn't. I think you will find most people who are fat understand that it is not healthy. People still don't get how difficult it is to lose weight once your fat.

As a fat person myself, I have been struggling with my weight since late middle-school/ early high-school. I used to be skinny as a twig but blew up at some point. I had managed to drop down to an ALMOST healthy weight a few years back, but have since ended up heavier than before. Sickness and physical issues (bad back and knee thanks to my job) have made it VERY hard to keep up any sort of fitness routine. Unfortunately, I am also terrible when it comes to eating healthy which is probably the bigger issue.

IDK, it always irritates me to see shit like this as I bet this bitch has never struggled with her weight in her life (and in fact she looks as if she might be a bit TOO skinny which is also unhealthy) yet she sees fit to tell people how to lose weight. She has no idea what people struggling with their weight are going through and this really seems to be the common thread from people who go around fat shaming.

What are OT's thoughts on this?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#2 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Shallow/nasty people gonna be shallow and nasty.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LostProphetFLCL

@GreySeal9 said:

Truth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I find it hard to care about "fat shaming" and that response video didn't exactly help. Both people seem annoying as hell.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

i think any type of shaming is stupid , even stupid shaming a person that made a fat shaming video , so i'm not watching the video , friend , sorry.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Fat people are so sensitive. Smokers are shamed for being unhealthy and polluting their immediate surroundings temporarily. Why can't fatties stand it for being unhealthy and visually polluting their surroundings?

Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts

Many people on the Internet are psychos and criminals.

That's why I don't enter internet forums anymore because I know that the people there are not gonna be good people.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
@themajormayor said:

Fat people are so sensitive. Smokers are shamed for being unhealthy and polluting their immediate surroundings temporarily. Why can't fatties stand it for being unhealthy and visually polluting their surroundings?

Being fat isn't just a physical issue - fat people often have mental issues too. Deep-seeded issues that cause them to over eat. So really when you're making fun of them for being fat, you're also making fun of them for their lack of resources to make the right choices in life, which may have been beyond their control.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts
@KHAndAnime said:
@themajormayor said:

Being fat isn't just a physical issue - fat people often have mental issues too. Deep-seeded issues that cause them to over eat. So really when you're making fun of them for being fat, you're also making fun of them for their lack of resources to make the right choices in life, which may have been beyond their control.

We're talking about 65% of Americans here.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

The opinions of one crackhead about fat people makes little difference in the grand scheme of things.

I'm against "Fat shaming" and bullies in general.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@Storm_Marine said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@themajormayor said:

We're talking about 65% of Americans here.

Also, there are plenty of mental illnesses which are socially acceptable to make fun of.

I have ADHD and that's normally treated like a joke in both real life and on the internet. Unfortunately, I just have to suck it up, since I'm white, male and lean. It's a great illness though. People consider you 50% hysterical hypochondriac with fake illness and 50% mentally unstable/unpredictable all wrapped up in one body.

Noone should be shamed, but I really don't think the correct thing to do is to glorify obesity instead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@MlauTheDaft said:

Noone should be shamed, but I really don't think the correct thing to do is to glorify obesity instead.

You make it sound like it must be one or the other. Very few people glorify obesity.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

At this point 1 million videos getting posted each and every day insulting anything and everything would be hugely preferable to the 10 trillion comments per second from those offended by anything and everything.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@Storm_Marine: "We're talking about 65% of Americans here."

lol, where you get that stat?

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MlauTheDaft

@toast_burner said:
@MlauTheDaft said:

You make it sound like it must be one or the other. Very few people glorify obesity.

I guess that was worded a little harshly. I just meant that while obesity does not make you worth less, it's really something you want to avoid if at all possible. That tends to get lost in translation, when weight acceptance campaigns occur and indirectly inspires people to give to their urges.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#18  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:
@themajormayor said:

themajormayor is trolling.

That being said, I will say that smokers shouldn't be shamed either. Surely there are better ways to deal with both of these health issues than shaming people.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

Shes true though. Why are you so unhealthy?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-598fc45371265

@PSP107 said:

@Storm_Marine: "We're talking about 65% of Americans here."

lol, where you get that stat?

actually I was wrong, it's 69 percent according to the CDC.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

Shaming of any kind is an ignorant thing to do.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LostProphetFLCL

@MlauTheDaft: Yeah society seems to cling to extremes. Look at what has been happening regarding police. Some cases make it big in the news where there was POTENTIALLY police brutality. Even though not all cases where such and ones that are have officers being charged with crimes, we have morons going out and declaring war on cops and shooting innocent officers who have NOTHING to do with those cases...

My issue with fat shaming is that it really worsens the problem. Negative emotions play into over-eating and these idiots who go out and put down fat people are most likely causing them to go overeat.

Let's be constructive and help encourage healthy habits. Put out delicious healthy recipes and let's find ways to make good food more affordable. Hard to eat right on a tight budget.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MlauTheDaft

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@MlauTheDaft: Yeah society seems to cling to extremes. Look at what has been happening regarding police. Some cases make it big in the news where there was POTENTIALLY police brutality. Even though not all cases where such and ones that are have officers being charged with crimes, we have morons going out and declaring war on cops and shooting innocent officers who have NOTHING to do with those cases...

My issue with fat shaming is that it really worsens the problem. Negative emotions play into over-eating and these idiots who go out and put down fat people are most likely causing them to go overeat.

Let's be constructive and help encourage healthy habits. Put out delicious healthy recipes and let's find ways to make good food more affordable. Hard to eat right on a tight budget.

Absolutely. Telling people that they're a piece of crap will most likely just make them go indulge in whatever comforts them, perpetuating their issues. Much better to encourage and try to lend a helping hand. I work out with my sister, because it inspires her to actually get going for example.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PSP107

@Storm_Marine: "actually I was wrong, it's 69 percent according to the CDC."

Thats a very high percentage. Any suggestions on how to lower it? =(

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

There are really only two types of heavier people I do not like.. Those that cling to stupid ass fad diets expecting a magic bullet, instead of actually putting forward effort to change.. Or ones that are so large, and so lazy that the ride around in scooters.. Not because they have a underlining health issue but because they are that lazy...When ever I see a larger person at the gym, or exercising outside.. I have nothing but respect for them.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

@-God- said:

Shes true though. Why are you so unhealthy?

Our God speaks the truth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Why? It works for Asia. They shame fat children at a young age and discourage gluttony, even shame the parents of fat kids. Lo and behold countries like Japan, South Korea, and China have some of the lowest obese residents per capita.

The "fat acceptance" movement is an exclusively North American thing. Other countries don't sugarcoat (lol) that being fat is bad.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Well, if she was fat and made a fit-shaming video, she would probably be cheered for being proud of her body.

Unfortunately, some people don't recognize that being overweight is unhealthy, otherwise we wouldn't have a fat pride movement going on right now.

I am not saying that it is okay to bully people that are overweight. I would rather encourage them to make a more healthy decision, as long as they are physically able to do so (I hear you with your health issues, so I am not disregarding that), than to sit back and tell them to be proud of the way they are.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#29 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Someone was being a dick on the internet? I can't even make the obvious joke that it's news to me since it's so common.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@PSP107 said:

Thats a very high percentage. Any suggestions on how to lower it? =(

For starters, people should stop getting upset and screaming "fat shaming" every time someone talks about it. Or it should be ignored.

This is a medical problem, http://gawker.com/your-doctor-is-probably-not-fat-shaming-you-1535358667

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PSP107

@ad1x2: "fat pride movement going on right now."

What movement?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44169 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:
@Archangel3371 said:

Why? It works for Asia. They shame fat children at a young age and discourage gluttony, even shame the parents of fat kids. Lo and behold countries like Japan, South Korea, and China have some of the lowest obese residents per capita.

The "fat acceptance" movement is an exclusively North American thing. Other countries don't sugarcoat (lol) that being fat is bad.

Well good for them. I still think it's an ignorant thing to do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-598fc45371265
@PSP107 said:

What movement?

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PSP107

@Storm_Marine:

From that pic, I wouldn't consider her fat.

@Jankarcop:

We're patients getting upset from their doctors? lol

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ad1x2

@PSP107 said:

What movement?

I'll just leave this here.

Once again, I am not advocating bullying people that are overweight, but I am pointing out that there is a movement to accept being overweight among people that do not have health-related reasons that prevent them from losing weight.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

^^^^Well, I didn't know there was a movement or a the need for one for others to leave fat people just be. The nerve.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PSP107

@ad1x2:

What is fat acceptance? Who are they protest to? What is the ultimate goal?

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

- she is not funny

- he is not funny

- fat acceptance is stupid

- fat shaming is stupid

If you're unhappy with your body and have access to the Internet then you have a great resource available to you to learn what you can do about it.

AfroSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AfroSamurai
Member since 2015 • 42 Posts

Social Justice Warriors...

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

meh.

the thing about idiots on the internet is that they can easily be ignored.

yet instead of simply ignoring assholes we feel it is our collective duty to attack these people, usually turning turning ourselves into equally large assholes in the process.

rather, rinse, repeat

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

"Francis" provides the most intelligent response I've seen so far ...

Loading Video...

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LostProphetFLCL

@ad1x2 said:

Well, if she was fat and made a fit-shaming video, she would probably be cheered for being proud of her body.

Unfortunately, some people don't recognize that being overweight is unhealthy, otherwise we wouldn't have a fat pride movement going on right now.

I am not saying that it is okay to bully people that are overweight. I would rather encourage them to make a more healthy decision, as long as they are physically able to do so (I hear you with your health issues, so I am not disregarding that), than to sit back and tell them to be proud of the way they are.

I don't think anyone would be supporting a fit shaming video. Thing is, we can't really be sure because such videos aren't made to begin with which illustrates a problem. This is very much a one way street. Fat people aren't running around making videos telling people to gain weight and they aren't shaming people for being skinny (albeit I have personally in the past have said people need to put on weight in certain threads.).

I also don't think there is actually a group of fat people out there who think being obese is healthy. I honestly am unsure where this idea comes from that there are obese people out there who don't realize being overweight is unhealthy. We all know it is unhealthy. Quite frankly it is impossible to NOT know with all the people out there who are ready to shame fat people.

This "fat pride" movement is a direct response to the awful treatment of overweight people in society. I would argue anorexia and bulimia are a direct result of how our society is when it comes to body shaming. The media and the model industry have put out such a psychotic and unhealthy standard of beauty, moreso for women than men, that we have people who get caught up in extremely unhealthy behaviors just to try to achieve some impossible standard of beauty. The reality is these supposed "plus size" models are really a more healthy weight than standard size model that society has shoved down our throatssfor decades now.

The link you posted about the doctor visits thing is a very small segment of people. I would think that most people are quite understanding with doctors giving weight advice. People who aren't are just being stupid plain and simple.

We will both agree on this last point though. The truly HEALTHY way to fight obesity is to lend positive help to those who wish to try and lose weight. We need to encourage healthy lifestyles, not shame those struggling with their weight.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#44 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

The original video made me want to kill myself. This response video brought me back from the brink.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

There are really only two types of heavier people I do not like.. Those that cling to stupid ass fad diets expecting a magic bullet, instead of actually putting forward effort to change.. Or ones that are so large, and so lazy that the ride around in scooters.. Not because they have a underlining health issue but because they are that lazy...When ever I see a larger person at the gym, or exercising outside.. I have nothing but respect for them.

Just out of curiosity, do you actually go around and ask fat people riding scooters if they have any underlying health issues?

Shrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Shrek
Member since 2015 • 387 Posts

So you can make fun of Mexicans and Islam terrorists, but fat people is taking it too far. That's the internet for you.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ad1x2

@LostProphetFLCL: It's a little late, so I'm about to go to bed. I'll probably post an example or two of people that actually resort to fit-shaming or resorting to calling healthy people vain. If you don't want to wait, you can Google fit shaming for examples. Some of it may be exaggerated, but it does happen, although probably not as much as fat shaming.

One thing I can tell you, without actually digging for an example, is that some women that quickly lost weight after a pregnancy have been told by other mothers that they must be bad mothers, because otherwise they wouldn't have had time to get in shape so fast. The theory was that she spent time that should have went towards taking care of their new child exercising instead, even though it is possible to find time to exercise between taking care of a child.

DrSpoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DrSpoon
Member since 2015 • 628 Posts

Just... wow, hadn't heard of this until now - thats a bit rough.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts
@sSubZerOo said:

This doesn't make sense; a diet in itself takes effort and does change weight, something extreme like water fasting be it full or intermittent requires tremendous mental strength; generally speaking, changing any behavior you have been conditioned with all your life acting as a comfort to mask a problem, especially when every person around you or tv adverts is waving chocolate bars in your face, is exceedingly difficult.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#50 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

And the internet will be the internet.

It's so funny to see threads like this because people get offended so easily and her video is nothing more than Kimmel all over again.

So thanks offended people for helping this Ashely girl make a living off youtube and get her name out there because in your infinite rage, you are actually making her a story that mainstream media picks up and suddenly this woman might go from 100k subs to 200 or 500k and that was the plan all along.