You ever wonder what it would be like if you grew up in another time?

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I grew up in another era. I'm actually really happy that I was born in the early 80's and was able to enjoy the late 80's and 90's for the most part. But another part of me wonders what it would of be like if I was born in the early 90's and grew up in the 2000's and experienced the PS2 era as a young teen it would be interesting. But I think being born in the 70's and growing up in the 80's would be much cooler what about you?

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Well if the simulation theory is real you can choose that next time.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

yes.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

Yeah. But I don't think I would fare any better in any other time. At least we have video games, right? Har har har.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@warmblur: I was born in 92 it was alright, yeah ps2 was cool, n64. and gameboy pocket were my first true consoles. My grandma had a nes at her house she would play, we would take turns on Mario bro 3, she actually had a virtual boy she found at a flea market also with Mario tennis, it sucked lol and my uncle gave me a sega saturn when i was 5, so vid game were in full swing for sure.

My parents were young and took a lot of videos of me dancing to nirvana and snoopdog as a toddler.

The internet existed as a kid, but it was so slow it was preferred to just play outside, I feel like every guy born in the 90s broke thier family PC looking up boobs and naked woman on a dial up PC. The PC was the playboy of the 90s. It was also the magic free music box with limewire and Napster.

The music was really bad ass, alot of good rock and hip hop, I grew up with 90s music and never stopped even in the 2000s, I remember thinking the new rap music at that time was garbage compared to early biggie, nas, wutang, and in some ways it was, but compared to today the early 2000s stuff was actually fantastic and i miss it now.

https://youtu.be/EkpMva5hZs4

I was really into rock and metal as well, metallica, korn, anthrax, slipknot, White zombie, buttholesurfers , primus, but I also was raised,on stuff like led zeppelin, pink Floyd, the eagles, peter Frampton, george Clinton, i could go on and on.

The coolest part about the 90's was that cool shit was comming out, but you still had the option to pick the stuff you wanted from the past generations.

I kinda hate my generation tho, millinals are truly soft, if I had my pick I wish I was born in the 60s before all the tech. Life looked alot more simple, with less distractions and bullshit everywhere.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

I did, I'm only here on holiday.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@jeezers said:

@warmblur: I was born in 92 it was alright, yeah ps2 was cool, n64. and gameboy pocket were my first true consoles. My grandma had a nes at her house she would play, we would take turns on Mario bro 3, she actually had a virtual boy she found at a flea market also with Mario tennis, it sucked lol and my uncle gave me a sega saturn when i was 5, so vid game were in full swing for sure.

My parents were young and took a lot of videos of me dancing to nirvana and snoopdog as a toddler.

The internet existed as a kid, but it was so slow it was preferred to just play outside, I feel like every guy born in the 90s broke thier family PC looking up boobs and naked woman on a dial up PC. The PC was the playboy of the 90s. It was also the magic free music box with limewire and Napster.

The music was really bad ass, alot of good rock and hip hop, I grew up with 90s music and never stopped even in the 2000s, I remember thinking the new rap music at that time was garbage compared to early biggie, nas, wutang, and in some ways it was, but compared to today the early 2000s stuff was actually fantastic and i miss it now.

https://youtu.be/EkpMva5hZs4

I was really into rock and metal as well, metallica, korn, anthrax, slipknot, White zombie, buttholesurfers , primus, but I also was raised,on stuff like led zeppelin, pink Floyd, the eagles, peter Frampton, george Clinton, i could go on and on.

The coolest part about the 90's was that cool shit was comming out, but you still had the option to pick the stuff you wanted from the past generations.

I kinda hate my generation tho, millinals are truly soft, if I had my pick I wish I was born in the 60s before all the tech. Life looked alot more simple, with less distractions and bullshit everywhere.

Same with me same for now to me the 90's was the last great decade of music. The early 00's had some decent stuff but boy did music take a nose dive. I think the internet ruined music in alot of ways it seemed back in the day you actually had to really have talent to get a record deal nowadays almost any idiot can get one.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I was born in '77. Not sure what you mean respective to timeframe (as if only the past few decades vs. centuries), but I'm very very grateful that I was born in the modern era, mainly because I'm chronically ill and had I not been born and grew up in a time where medicine had advanced to the point of being able to treat my disease, I'd have been dead in my early twenties come the late nineties.

Despite all the complaining and how the world appears like it's going to shit because we're able to hear about everything awful that happens around it minutes afterwards due to the net, we live in a time of history that's far more peaceful and conducive to our well being than any other before it. We live like kings, to the point that sometimes I think we need a serious kick in the ass to re-prioritize ourselves. All this overly PC-ness, micro-aggression, safe spaces.....Christ. Had our forebears seen this shit, they'd be laughing their asses off.

We have it so easy in comparison, and I thank my lucky stars every day I have such simple things like fresh drinking water, food in my stomach, and shelter.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

I wish I was i born in the 22nd century, 2100 or maybe in 23rd century, 2200. Well, whichever century has mach levels flying cars, aliens, space travel, nation-planets, starships, and all those goodies that come within the package.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

I wish I was born in the year 2077.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#11 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Not really. Only thing is I kinda wish I was born maybe 10 or 20 years later. We are on the cusp of the most exciting time in human history; a great head-to-head death race between technological advancement and human stupidity, and I get to bring the popcorn. My only possible regret is I might not get to see who wins.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#12 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

It is something I think about but when it really boils down to it I think, probably not.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

I think I would have done well as a soldier swinging an axe, maybe as a viking or something.

Current and recent society is a bit too civilized, too squeamish, for my taste. I'd have enjoyed settling affairs with fists and steel.

Would have to be pre-gunpowder, too, guns and cannons and bombs are just too OP.

I'd also have liked to been born 2100 onward. I think the next few decades are going to be revolutionary, maybe even evolutionary. I fully expect the average life expectancy to be 200+ years, settlements on the moons of Jupiter, and the first steps of extra-solar space flight by the year 2100.

@madrocketeer said:

Not really. Only thing is I kinda wish I was born maybe 10 or 20 years later. We are on the cusp of the most exciting time in human history; a great head-to-head death race between technological advancement and human stupidity, and I get to bring the popcorn. My only possible regret is I might not get to see who wins.

Hahaha well said.

It would almost be disappointing if we didn't destroy ourselves with our own technology, and all we did with it was keep inventing more social apps.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
Member since 2019 • 392 Posts

@tenaka2 said:

Well if the simulation theory is real you can choose that next time.

what

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
@mrbojangles25 said:

I'd also have liked to been born 2100 onward. I think the next few decades are going to be revolutionary, maybe even evolutionary. I fully expect the average life expectancy to be 200+ years, settlements on the moons of Jupiter, and the first steps of extra-solar space flight by the year 2100.

a large portion of the planet may very well be uninhabitable by that point.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrbojangles25

@volsung said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Nah, more inhabitable. I imagine we will have some sort of weather control by then. Turn the drier areas fertile, and so on.

Combined, the world makes enough food to feed far more than 7.5 billion people and then some, and we aren't even entirely efficient with that. There's plenty of living space, too.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#17 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I definitely think about this from time to time. My job and most time consuming hobby (gaming) are entirely computer based.

If computers weren't around my life would be drastically different

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MirkoS77

@mrbojangles25 said:

I think I would have done well as a soldier swinging an axe, maybe as a viking or something.

Current and recent society is a bit too civilized, too squeamish, for my taste. I'd have enjoyed settling affairs with fists and steel.

Not sure if you're jesting. Those battles must've been horrific beyond belief. Getting gutted like a pig on the field, or wounded only to suffer weeks of agony dying from a festering infection, being used as a pawn who no one cares for. **** that noise.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrbojangles25

@MirkoS77 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Not sure if you're jesting. Those battles must've been horrific beyond belief. Getting gutted like a pig on the field, or wounded only to suffer weeks of agony dying from a festering infection, being used as a pawn who no one cares for. **** that noise.

Nothing has really changed. If anything, things are worse.

Soldiers are sent further away from home than they ever have been, to fight in wars that serve no purpose.

The wounds they suffer are more horrific and, ironically, due to modern medicine they are often forced to endure for a lifetime an injury that would have mercifully killed them a hundred years ago.

If you're captured by a first-world nation, you're labeled a terrorist and sent to a prison or CIA dark site and you will never be free. if you're captured by the terrorists (using that term loosely), you're executed and the film is put on the internet.

At least back in the day, when you fought, you could rape and pillage and profit, and you were often actually defending your territory or fighting , not invading some country across an ocean (Crusades notwithstanding).

There was also honor and if you got stabbed in the leg, the guy might be like "Dude, you're done, go home" and spare you. Yeah getting stabbed sucks, but you should ask someone who has been shot how it feels.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
@mrbojangles25 said:
@volsung said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Nah, more inhabitable. I imagine we will have some sort of weather control by then. Turn the drier areas fertile, and so on.

Combined, the world makes enough food to feed far more than 7.5 billion people and then some, and we aren't even entirely efficient with that. There's plenty of living space, too.

That would be placing a bet on whether technological advancement can counter or supersede trends in inequality and climate. It's possible but I'm not sure if I'd want to risk it. I don't doubt there will be some humans alive in 2100 enjoying incredible lives but it's hard to say how regular people are going to be doing.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts
@volsung said:

That would be placing a bet on whether technological advancement can counter or supersede trends in inequality and climate. It's possible but I'm not sure if I'd want to risk it. I don't doubt there will be some humans alive in 2100 enjoying incredible lives but it's hard to say how regular people are going to be doing.

Probably a dystopian society where medieval meets tech. Or tech meets medieval? Similar to Jedi and Sith but instead of magic powers they have "tech powers". Lightsabers subbing for swords.

Segway, You can technically call Star Wars to be dystopian on a galactic scale.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

I sometimes think about how I'd have been with all technology around these days.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
@watercrack445 said:
@volsung said:

Probably a dystopian society where medieval meets tech. Or tech meets medieval? Similar to Jedi and Sith but instead of magic powers they have "tech powers". Lightsabers subbing for swords.

Segway, You can technically call Star Wars to be dystopian on a galactic scale.

I'm thinking just the typical cyberpunk tropes. A shittier Blade Runner without the retrofuturism and replicants.

Star Wars locations feel pretty rough and poor 90% of the time. Plus the constant war and authoritarian regimes so yeah I'd say it's pretty dystopian.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MirkoS77

@mrbojangles25 said:
@MirkoS77 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Nothing has really changed. If anything, things are worse.

Soldiers are sent further away from home than they ever have been, to fight in wars that serve no purpose.

The wounds they suffer are more horrific and, ironically, due to modern medicine they are often forced to endure for a lifetime an injury that would have mercifully killed them a hundred years ago.

If you're captured by a first-world nation, you're labeled a terrorist and sent to a prison or CIA dark site and you will never be free. if you're captured by the terrorists (using that term loosely), you're executed and the film is put on the internet.

At least back in the day, when you fought, you could rape and pillage and profit, and you were often actually defending your territory or fighting , not invading some country across an ocean (Crusades notwithstanding).

There was also honor and if you got stabbed in the leg, the guy might be like "Dude, you're done, go home" and spare you. Yeah getting stabbed sucks, but you should ask someone who has been shot how it feels.

Back in the day you were conscripted with absolutely no choice and shoved into the front lines with barely any logistical accommodations nor a modicum of training to benefit your chances of survival in the most brutal, in your face manner of battle possible. That is, if you even arrived at the battlefield well fed and in any condition to fight. Most of these people were peasants and the poor, they were viewed and treated like disposable garbage and were effectively lambs to the slaughter. Many people died of simple exposure and diseases before they even got to conflict.

At least today you have options (we at least we do, I presume you're an American?) and people typically don't go to war unless they so choose. The draft hasn't been in effect for decades. When people do so, they receive months of training and logistical support utilizing technology that will aid their survival. Engagements take place hundreds of meters apart with a high probability of on field triage right there if you are wounded by trained medical professionals who don't rely on medieval superstitions and procedures to fix the most rudimentary of ailments. Many injuries, if the person makes it back, are endurable for life, as it is PTSD and suicide from the psychological trauma of battle that creates more misery and self-harm or destruction long-term than the actual physical effects of on field wounds. And hand to hand combat would be far more traumatic than shooting at someone hundreds of feet away psychologically.

As for me, I'd sooner be shot any day of the week than be brutally hacked to death while alive. I can think of few more horrific ways to die aside torture. Yeah, there's no way I'd romanticize medieval conflict to today. I've no doubt it was incomprehensibly horrific in every respect.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8772 Posts

"War. War never changes."

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#27 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Nope, perfectly fine where I am, this is probably comfiest age to be alive, at least if you're in the West.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

As long as it is a time in which toilet paper exists.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I don't know, but I suspect I wouldn't have fared much better in another time. I'd probably be worse off, or dead. At least this era was livable for me, and I came to learn a lot about how screwed up society and the world is in these years. I'm not so sure that there has ever been a perfect place for me, and I sort of doubt there ever will be in this world. At least I can still hope for the afterlife.

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

the early 1900's would be interesting

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

The early 20th century would be interesting

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Kinda wish I grew up in the early 00s. There weren't a lot of people really into tech and computers and video games growing up in the 80s/90s and even fewer girls interested in that sort of thing. Felt like a bit of a pariah cause none of the other girls shared an interest and a lot of the boys didn't really want a girl playing videogames with them. Feels like a lot of that has changed in the past decade or so with tech and computers and videogames being pretty normal for everyone to be interested in.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

I was born in 1961 between the Baby Boomers and Generation X, claimed by both but really are our own generation (1960-1964), the original punk-rock generation, the real Generation Jones. We are the equivalent to Xennials between X and Millenials (1977-1981).

But growing up in grade school in the late 60's and early 70's I had always wished to be part of my older brothers the hippies of the 60's Baby Boom generation, to this day I think the late 60's was far and away the best time for music and all around atmosphere, the energy and vibe was amazing....I was born 10 years late to that party. But I did join in the great punk movement of the late 70's and post-punk early 80's, which was the best time for music ever after the late 60's IMO. So I blended in with my younger Generation X brothers as well.

But the late 60's man, groovy times no doubt. I remember the music as a kid.

I mean only a great psychedelic band like the Electric Prunes could make it sound cool to be nervous making a move on a girl:

Loading Video...

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AFBrat77

@warmblur said:

Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I grew up in another era. I'm actually really happy that I was born in the early 80's and was able to enjoy the late 80's and 90's for the most part. But another part of me wonders what it would of be like if I was born in the early 90's and grew up in the 2000's and experienced the PS2 era as a young teen it would be interesting. But I think being born in the 70's and growing up in the 80's would be much cooler what about you?

Yeah, the 1980's were an absolute blast! Born in 1961.

Oh and by the way, watched American Horror Story....it was spot on for 1984 in their first episode of season 9 (first time I ever watched AHS), I was amazed by how perfect they did that, the millenial actors pulled it off. I should know, I was 22 and 23 in 1984. This is in contrast to Stranger Things where the actors are not convincing for the 80's time period (though I imagine it could be hard to do).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@AFBrat77 said:
@warmblur said:

Oh and by the way, watched American Horror Story....it was spot on for 1984 in their first episode of season 9 (first time I ever watched AHS), I was amazed by how perfect they did that, the millenial actors pulled it off. I should know, I was 22 and 23 in 1984. This is in contrast to Stranger Things where the actors are not convincing for the 80's time period (though I imagine it could be hard to do).

Nice, I been watching AHS 1984 it's pretty good that intro is fire.

Loading Video...

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AFBrat77

@warmblur said:
@AFBrat77 said:
@warmblur said:

Nice, I been watching AHS 1984 it's pretty good that intro is fire.

Loading Video...

Yeah, solid intro, very nice 1984 montage too. Lot of us still had records and cassettes back then (I know I did, I even had a top of the line Alpine cassette player and speakers in my car to blast away), but I was unfortunately changing over to CD's. I had 250-300 record albums worth a lot of money now that I gave to my brother, most all in great shape, uggh. I had no idea record players would get popular again. 60's, 70's, 80's Rock albums, I miss them.

I like how they emphasized the fitness aspect in the video, so true, my generation felt like they had to keep up with the Boomers who took most of the jobs ahead of us, leaving us with high numbers of our generation (we had Boomer birth rates so we were erroneously lumped in with them at first) that had to do whatever it took to get ahead, whether getting fit, big hairstyles, having interview and business acumen, etc. Looking back the competition was a good thing, our 5 year generation (born 1960-1964) produced so many of the big names in pop culture its rather phenomenal, like Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Keanu Reeves, Rob Lowe, Quentin Terrentino, all of REM, Metallica, Megadeth, Axl Rose, Eddie Vedder and so many more. And thats just the start. There was a lot to like then, but we didn't have it easy like the Boomers. We were like Gen X in that respect and in other ways.