Would you ever consider joining the Military?

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dicpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 dicpunch
Member since 2003 • 5208 Posts

I'll fight when I actually think our nation is in danger, until then no.JthRedDragon

What constitutes real danger?  I would think terrorist flying planes into, or attempting to fly them into, major political, economic and cultural buildings, killing thousands would mean that we were in some kind of danger? 

Patchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Patchi
Member since 2004 • 14332 Posts
No.  It somehow doesn't appeal to me, but I realize that it gives one a lot of future potential.
DrummerJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 DrummerJon
Member since 2004 • 9668 Posts
I'd Join the Air Force, thats it tho
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#54 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
no, i dont want to get killed.
dicpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 dicpunch

Getting sent miles away to fight in conflicts which are drawn out & controversial, never knowing whether you're going to die trying to help stabilise a country you have no interest in or when you're going home...er, no thanks.

I know military action in this world is a part of life (or death,,) but if everyone in the world thought like this no nation would have a military & disputes would be fought out in meeeting rooms by the heads of states [which is how it should be], not by young men & women terified for their life. I'm a huge pacifist and totally against any war / acts of terrorisim / terrortory conflicts etc. Let the leaders fight it out, and not hide behind the sons and daughters of the countries they run.

angel1212

So you hoped after 9/11 somehow we rounded up OBL and had Bush challenge him to an arm wrestling match and the winner takes over the world.  That seems logical.

Himmel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Himmel
Member since 2002 • 5389 Posts

[QUOTE="JthRedDragon"]I'll fight when I actually think our nation is in danger, until then no.dicpunch

What constitutes real danger? I would think terrorist flying planes into, or attempting to fly them into, major political, economic and cultural buildings, killing thousands would mean that we were in some kind of danger? 

Osama? Sure... we need to throw that guy in San Quinton.

The whole country of Iraq? Not really, no...
dicpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 dicpunch
[QUOTE="dicpunch"]

[QUOTE="JthRedDragon"]I'll fight when I actually think our nation is in danger, until then no.Himmel

What constitutes real danger? I would think terrorist flying planes into, or attempting to fly them into, major political, economic and cultural buildings, killing thousands would mean that we were in some kind of danger? 

The question was begged for asking because he said he would fight when were in danger, it wasn't meant to bring this into another discussion on the Iraq situation.   I was wanting to know what he ment personnaly by 'danger', if it isn't having our own soil attacked and thousands of innocent civilians murdered. 

angel1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 angel1212
Member since 2004 • 18174 Posts
[QUOTE="angel1212"]

Getting sent miles away to fight in conflicts which are drawn out & controversial, never knowing whether you're going to die trying to help stabilise a country you have no interest in or when you're going home...er, no thanks.

I know military action in this world is a part of life (or death,,) but if everyone in the world thought like this no nation would have a military & disputes would be fought out in meeeting rooms by the heads of states [which is how it should be], not by young men & women terified for their life. I'm a huge pacifist and totally against any war / acts of terrorisim / terrortory conflicts etc. Let the leaders fight it out, and not hide behind the sons and daughters of the countries they run.

dicpunch

So you hoped after 9/11 somehow we rounded up OBL and had Bush challenge him to an arm wrestling match and the winner takes over the world.  That seems logical.

Not at all, read what i wrote. I disagree with all acts of war. But if everyone had the same mentality of pacifisim 9/11 wouldn't have happened. Osama didn't fly those planes into the buildings. His followers did. If they had a attitude of 'why should I attack another country' there would have been no-one to carry out the attacks. but because of peoples attitudes whatever nationality a military force is essential for a nation which absolutely sucks. We aren't born with a hatred of another country, wanting to inflict war and violence against others, its fed to us by the heads of state, fanatical religious members. A small number of people using the public as pawns in their owns games.
nick3333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#59 nick3333
Member since 2004 • 12414 Posts
[QUOTE="Himmel"]

[QUOTE="JthRedDragon"]I'll fight when I actually think our nation is in danger, until then no.dicpunch

Why is everyone focusing so much on Osama? He's not the 'leader' of Al Qaida or any other terrorist organization for that matter, and he's not the mastermind behind 9/11 or any other attacks. All he does and ever did was give money to terrorist organizations who wanted his money. Other than that he doesn't do much of anything. Of course, since the media and governments have overrated his importance so much, he's a 'symbol' of terrorism, so I guess that's why. But other than that I assure you that guy has no real importance whatsoever.

And anyway to answer the topic question, no I would not, simply because I don't have the time nor discipline required to do that. Unless I was offered a nice cushy job as General straight away, then I'd join the Army.

SOTE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 SOTE
Member since 2004 • 3398 Posts
A friend of mine is gonna go to the air force and i was thinking the navy cause i like the sea but whatever.....i think its an opportunity to learn but dont go to the marines cause with all that iraq crap you might be sent to the front lines
Mercury88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Mercury88
Member since 2005 • 5674 Posts
I've thought about, realised the amount of hard work involved, and decided against it!
dicpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 dicpunch
[QUOTE="dicpunch"][QUOTE="angel1212"]

angel1212

Not at all, read what i wrote. I disagree with all acts of war. But if everyone had the same mentality of pacifisim 9/11 wouldn't have happened. Osama didn't fly those planes into the buildings. His followers did. If they had a attitude of 'why should I attack another country' there would have been no-one to carry out the attacks. but because of peoples attitudes whatever nationality a military force is essential for a nation which absolutely sucks. We aren't born with a hatred of another country, wanting to inflict war and violence against others, its fed to us by the heads of state, fanatical religious members. A small number of people using the public as pawns in their owns games.

So you do realize that people don't follow the mentality of pacifisim.  Mentalities are thrown out when realities start crashing into buildings.  Pacifisim would be nice, however it really makes for bad national defense.

angel1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 angel1212

So you do realize that people don't follow the mentality of pacifisim.  Mentalities are thrown out when realities start crashing into buildings.  Pacifisim would be nice, however it really makes for bad national defense.dicpunch
You're not reading what i write.I'm not talking about one nation, i'm talking about all nations, every single person on this earth, and not about specific acts of war, I mean all of them. The world in general, dating back to the beginning of mankind. One man cannot carry out a war, One man with followers brainwashed into a way of thinking can.

If war revolted everyone on Earth there would be no armies and no conflicts. Unfortunately the screwed up way humans are force the need of military, and that is the problem. I do acknowledge the need for a defence but i will not, can not agree with it which ever side you're fighting on.

windnocturne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 windnocturne
Member since 2004 • 6896 Posts
Neva!!
Patchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Patchi

So you do realize that people don't follow the mentality of pacifisim.  Mentalities are thrown out when realities start crashing into buildings.  Pacifisim would be nice, however it really makes for bad national defense.dicpunch

I thought the point was that they should.

Archetype5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Archetype5
Member since 2005 • 383 Posts

[QUOTE="dicpunch"]So you do realize that people don't follow the mentality of pacifisim. Mentalities are thrown out when realities start crashing into buildings. Pacifisim would be nice, however it really makes for bad national defense.Patchi

Yea they should but they won't and they never will it is just the nature of man.
Patchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Patchi
[QUOTE="Patchi"]

[QUOTE="dicpunch"]So you do realize that people don't follow the mentality of pacifisim. Mentalities are thrown out when realities start crashing into buildings. Pacifisim would be nice, however it really makes for bad national defense.Archetype5

Yea they should but they won't and they never will it is just the nature of man.

Perhaps.

angel1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 angel1212

[QUOTE="dicpunch"]So you do realize that people don't follow the mentality of pacifisim.  Mentalities are thrown out when realities start crashing into buildings.  Pacifisim would be nice, however it really makes for bad national defense.Patchi

lol, thanks, thats what i was trying to get across, abeit a rather long-winded way.
foxhound421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 foxhound421
Member since 2003 • 741 Posts
i didn't sign up for the millitary because i have goals in life that, in my view, are contrary to the millitary lifestyle. however, if there were a WWII sized conflict and a draft were instated then i'd willingly go and fight to defend America. and i have the utmost respect for those who are doing so now.
minimosher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#70 minimosher13
Member since 2005 • 2993 Posts
Counterstrike inspired me to join the army, then everyone told me what an idiot I was and I eventually gave up on the idea. . .
johnnyv2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#71 johnnyv2003
Member since 2003 • 13762 Posts
i would if i could decide on a non-combatant job
dicpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 dicpunch

[QUOTE="dicpunch"]So you do realize that people don't follow the mentality of pacifisim.  Mentalities are thrown out when realities start crashing into buildings.  Pacifisim would be nice, however it really makes for bad national defense.Patchi

The point isn't about how we wished other people or gov'ts would think about war, terrorism, etc.  It's about the scary reality of how we are being acted on by extremist.   

So would you think Pacifisim is a good way to defend our country from people who could care less if we are going to take up arms or not? 

Kal_Rhael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#74 Kal_Rhael
Member since 2002 • 15550 Posts
in the process of trying to get in now, next month i take my GED test, when i get that, im going to train all summer long and hopefully by next years end i'll be ready for the marines.

noidisdead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 noidisdead
Member since 2005 • 241 Posts
Recently, I had a dream that I was witnessing a battle. And the next thing I knew, I was suited up and I was in some sort of Jeep driving in some country (probably somewhere in the Middle East. Though, I don't think it was reflected on the times). And I guess I got ahold of a cell and called my mother. It was such a horrible feeling. I guess I knew that chances were, I'd never return. I managed to wake myself up. Then last weekend, I got some letter from the army. It was one of those pamphlets that they would send you just to up your interest, though I know I could never join the Military.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#76 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

no , i'd rather stay at home

marco_basaglia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#77 marco_basaglia
Member since 2004 • 1697 Posts
Not worth it!
SOLIDUS_SNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 SOLIDUS_SNK
Member since 2005 • 70 Posts
[QUOTE="Patchi"]

[QUOTE="dicpunch"]So you do realize that people don't follow the mentality of pacifisim.  Mentalities are thrown out when realities start crashing into buildings.  Pacifisim would be nice, however it really makes for bad national defense.dicpunch

The point isn't about how we wished other people or gov'ts would think about war, terrorism, etc.  It's about the scary reality of how we are being acted on by extremist.   

So would you think Pacifisim is a good way to defend our country from people who could care less if we are going to take up arms or not? 

Yeah, all governments world wide would have to follow pacifism for there to be peace. sadly that's not the case, never was, and who knows if when it will be.

kronikaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 kronikaid
Member since 2003 • 992 Posts
I've seriously considered it, but no and I probably never will. But there are advantages in learing usefull skill sets getting tuition help, free food, free room and board, getting set up with a career and hey a free saucy T-shirt if you join right now, but that whole commit yourself blindly to shadowy albeit half baked government enntitiy and possibly die thing gets me a bit.
angel1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 angel1212

Another problem i have with war, using the current conflicts as an example: The US & UK went to war because of 9/11, the killing of innocents by extremists.

I damn sure not everyone the mililtary has killed has been a hardcore- death to all westerners - extremists. They have killed innocents, woman, children & families in botched missions & air raids etc. and in this regard i see no difference in what our nations are doing. I would want no part in that and anyone who thinks that the armies in the middle east are just eliminating hardcore fanatics are naive. War is a sick business which ever side you're on. As gamingqueen said....i'd rather stay at home....than kill innocents in a 'justified war'

dicpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 dicpunch

Another problem i have with war, using the current conflicts as an example: The US & UK went to war because of 9/11, the killing of innocents by extremists.

I damn sure not everyone the mililtary has killed has been a hardcore- death to all westerners - extremists. They have killed innocents, woman, children & families in botched missions & air raids etc. and in this regard i see no difference in what our nations are doing. I would want no part in that and anyone who thinks that the armies in the middle east are just eliminating hardcore fanatics are naive. War is a sick business which ever side you're on. As gamingqueen said....i'd rather stay at home....than kill innocents in a 'justified war'

angel1212

So, lets imagine, we are attacked by say China.  China invades Taiwan and uses nukes to take out our bases and major cities on the west coast.  They are preparing for a major US land invasion.  Our president, whoever it would be, would have a hard decision.  He decides our response should be, when Appling this post, to do nothing because innocents in China might get killed? 

What about WW2?  Should we have decided to stay out?  Deciding to rescue the world from a tyrant might kill a innocent person or a million. 

When the idea of' no war at any cost', cost more in innocent civilian lives, what do you do then?  Still sit it out.  Hope the evil dictators will somehow come to their senses? 

dicpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 dicpunch

i would if i could decide on a non-combatant jobjohnnyv2003

27D (legal specialist) is a good choice.

opeth2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 opeth2009
Member since 2005 • 150 Posts
i would but only serve as a medic or something simmilar
helluvagood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#84 helluvagood
Member since 2004 • 9182 Posts
nope, im 15
sabru8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#85 sabru8
Member since 2003 • 4144 Posts

I wouldn't consider it unless everything else in my life went down the tubes and I had to start over.  I don't think it would be for me.  I have so many other things I want to do, and the military isn't the best option to fulfill those.wallymartin

I agree with this....the same goes for me.

Hellraiser3899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#86 Hellraiser3899
Member since 2005 • 10060 Posts
I'm thinkin about it
EndersAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 EndersAres
Member since 2005 • 5711 Posts
Sure. It would be an awesome experience.
dicpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 dicpunch
[QUOTE="angel1212"]

dicpunch

So, lets imagine, we are attacked by say China.  China invades Taiwan and uses nukes to take out our bases and major cities on the west coast.  They are preparing for a major US land invasion.  Our president, whoever it would be, would have a hard decision.  He decides our response should be, when Appling this post, to do nothing because innocents in China might get killed? 

What about WW2?  Should we have decided to stay out?  Deciding to rescue the world from a tyrant might kill a innocent person or a million. 

When the idea of' no war at any cost', cost more in innocent civilian lives, what do you do then?  Still sit it out?  Hope the evil dictators will somehow come to their senses?  Disregard the freedoms we hold and conform to the laws, regardless of how restricting, enacted by the invaders? 

.....still waiting on a response for the application of Pacifisim to an imagined possibility or even real world past example.......

panzerward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 panzerward
Member since 2006 • 351 Posts
Yeah, I'm joining when I'm 17. It'll make for a good career, and I look forward to it.
Gamester3200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Gamester3200
Member since 2004 • 927 Posts
i would join the navy seals, even though the training is hell compared to other military branches
CanadianNooB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#91 CanadianNooB
Member since 2005 • 16168 Posts
[QUOTE="CanadianNooB"][QUOTE="sublime5343"]

[QUOTE="CanadianNooB"]Never.dicpunch

It figures, you're Canadian. Do you guys even have a military or do you just rely on the protection of the US? :lol:

Yes we do.

And yes we leech off your ridiculously powerful and expensive military for strategic protection.

"And protection from whom? The Communists? They were finished over a decade ago, right now I'm looking at a map struggling to find REAL enemies which threaten our way of life in our modern and increasingly prosperous interconnected world."

That's whats funny about it. The United States is willing to spend on defending North America from nothing.:lol:

Canada of course spends nothing - as there is no real threat out there.

Steingrimur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Steingrimur
Member since 2005 • 3561 Posts
why not denmark never goes to war with anyone so why not, I've always wanted to learn how to shoot
dicpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 dicpunch
[QUOTE="dicpunch"][QUOTE="CanadianNooB"][QUOTE="sublime5343"]

[QUOTE="CanadianNooB"]Never.CanadianNooB

It figures, you're Canadian. Do you guys even have a military or do you just rely on the protection of the US? :lol:

Yes we do.

And yes we leech off your ridiculously powerful and expensive military for strategic protection.

"And protection from whom? The Communists? They were finished over a decade ago, right now I'm looking at a map struggling to find REAL enemies which threaten our way of life in our modern and increasingly prosperous interconnected world."

That's whats funny about it. The United States is willing to spend on defending North America from nothing.:lol:

Canada of course spends nothing - as there is no real threat out there.

There isn't a threat for Canada because nobody gives a crap about canada.

Hellmen21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 130

#94 Hellmen21
Member since 2004 • 18516 Posts
To pay for college, yes.
Nxss-effa-sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Nxss-effa-sim
Member since 2004 • 4103 Posts
Sorry, no I wouldn't.
dsan224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#96 dsan224
Member since 2006 • 1552 Posts
no way, waking up at 5 AM to go running miles outside, doing loads of pushups and situps, and having to say "sir yes sir!!!!! ZOMGZ!!!" every time a seargent tells me to do something. 
GettingTired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 GettingTired
Member since 2006 • 5994 Posts

no way, waking up at 5 AM to go running miles outside, doing loads of pushups and situps, and having to say "sir yes sir!!!!! ZOMGZ!!!" every time a seargent tells me to do something. dsan224

Stop bumping threads. It's not funny.

NathanHawkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 NathanHawkins
Member since 2006 • 4470 Posts
I would if I was younger. I think it's rewarding for the majority of those who join.
dsan224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#99 dsan224
Member since 2006 • 1552 Posts

[QUOTE="dsan224"]no way, waking up at 5 AM to go running miles outside, doing loads of pushups and situps, and having to say "sir yes sir!!!!! ZOMGZ!!!" every time a seargent tells me to do something. GettingTired

Stop bumping threads. It's not funny.

sry lol