Would you be okay with Gamespot having a "Like" system if you could only see likes on your own posts?

Mostly_Normal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Mostly_Normal
Member since 2010 • 296 Posts

The common argument against a like system is that it promoted a hive mind mentality, which I don't really get because that's more a "majority opinion vs minority' issue, and doesn't have anything to do with likes.

But regardless, I think an easy solution for everybody would be to just make it so that you can only see your own likes and likes on your own posts. That would eliminate any possible "hivemind" concerns, while simultaneously providing the convenience a like system offers.

What do you think?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

No

I want too see all the likes on a post

I don’t care about the likes on my posts

I only care about the likes of others

Those that don’t like likes care too much about stupid nonsense

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

No this ain't facebook. :P

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

At first I thought it was a good idea for Gamespot but after spending some time here (2 months, Yeah, I'm still new here) I think it's better if we don't put the 'Like' feature.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#5 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

No, a "like" system would just be silly. This isn't Twitter or Facebook.

Mostly_Normal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Mostly_Normal
Member since 2010 • 296 Posts

@bush_dog: What makes you say that? I don't really see any downsides to a like system.

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

@Mostly_Normal: And so thus the opposite. I don't see any goodside to a like system. Yes, people could be attracted by a like system like in Reddit where some people only post not for the essence of creating a discussion but instead of gaining virtual points, which I think is bad given that this is a forum site. Also we already have facebook and other Social Networking Site that already have a 'Like' feature.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

GS already has a "Like" system, all the articles you can "like", yet no-one uses it, don't introduce it to forums.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Give us likes

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#10 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@bush_dog said:

@Mostly_Normal: And so thus the opposite. I don't see any goodside to a like system. Yes, people could be attracted by a like system like in Reddit where some people only post not for the essence of creating a discussion but instead of gaining virtual points, which I think is bad given that this is a forum site. Also we already have facebook and other Social Networking Site that already have a 'Like' feature.

Mostly this. "Like"-systems seem to attract all sort of pointless crap...I used to think "if it's crap it's not going to get likes so it should be fine" then I started looking at YT videos' "First!" and "like if you agree" sort of comments with thousands of likes...Besides, we already have a lot of people here who are just a little too much in love with themselves and the attention they get...you make them work for likes...it won't be pretty.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11  Edited By CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@korvus said:
@bush_dog said:

Mostly this. "Like"-systems seem to attract all sort of pointless crap...I used to think "if it's crap it's not going to get likes so it should be fine" then I started looking at YT videos' "First!" and "like if you agree" sort of comments with thousands of likes...Besides, we already have a lot of people here who are just a little too much in love with themselves and the attention they get...you make them work for likes...it won't be pretty.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTv8H0rGuh64ps31t6cSEqaqm7gwXUZyouAtn_ey17FCloPRVIX

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Mostly_Normal said:

The common argument against a like system is that it promoted a hive mind mentality, which I don't really get because that's more a "majority opinion vs minority' issue, and doesn't have anything to do with likes.

But regardless, I think an easy solution for everybody would be to just make it so that you can only see your own likes and likes on your own posts. That would eliminate any possible "hivemind" concerns, while simultaneously providing the convenience a like system offers.

What do you think?

Not really.

If you want a like system go to facebook.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I honestly don't care. Like or dislike, my opinion has been made known.