Would society be better off without smart phones?

Posted by warmblur (2127 posts) 8 days, 16 hours ago

Poll: Would society be better off without smart phones? (25 votes)

Yes 44%
No 56%

Do you think society would be better off without smart phones? I do think mobile phones are very helpful in emergency situations but besides that they have been abused to a point now where it's causes accidents and deaths. I'm all for pushing tech forward but I feel this was a mistake what do you think?

#1 Posted by Speeny (1479 posts) -

They’re handy but people would just be more down to earth without them.

#2 Posted by Macutchi (6693 posts) -

@warmblur I'm all for pushing tech forward but I feel this was a mistake

so what do you suggest instead then?

#3 Posted by warmblur (2127 posts) -

@Macutchi said:

@warmblur I'm all for pushing tech forward but I feel this was a mistake

so what do you suggest instead then?

Hard to say some kind of tech that wouldn't interfere as much as smart phones do.

#4 Posted by Ezekiel43 (1396 posts) -

I don't like them. They've done so much damage to the social aspect of life. Screen zombies everywhere I look.

#5 Posted by thehig1 (7240 posts) -

I like them I hate talking to people so it's a good way make it obvoius your not up for small talk without being directly rude, just indirectly rude instead.

#6 Edited by uninspiredcup (32731 posts) -

It would make people "look up".

Loading Video...

#7 Posted by XVision84 (15781 posts) -

No way, smartphones allow instant access to others, provides the entire internet at your fingertips, and have all sorts of convenient apps (Uber, myfitnesspal, amazon, etc.).

The pros outweigh the cons by a landslide in my opinion.

#8 Edited by DEVILinIRON (4767 posts) -

It's better to have 'em around. People do stupid things with guns and everything else anyway. Plus what else are you going to do but look at the internetz, read your kindle app, or play a game when standing in a long line?

#9 Posted by pyro1245 (4914 posts) -

No, we need smart phones nowadays.

Although some people need to train themselves not to look at them every few seconds when in the company of others. I'm not talking about in public in the company of stranger - stare at your phone as much as you want, as long as you look up every few seconds to make sure you're not in someone's way. I'm talking about in the company of friends - take a break from the phone.

#10 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79278 posts) -

I would say just leave them in your pockets when you're at a store or restaurant. Nothing more annoying than trying to help someone who won't look up from their phone.

#11 Posted by Random_Matt (3931 posts) -

Don't own one, don't need one.

#12 Posted by johnd13 (9689 posts) -

Smartphones are great. Carrying a small computer at your pocket is really useful. It's the people's fault for getting addicted to them.

#13 Edited by AFBrat77 (26698 posts) -

Yes, keep phones for calling and texting.

Leave the net at home.

We would be fine in that scenario.

#14 Posted by warmblur (2127 posts) -

@AFBrat77 said:

Yes, keep phones for calling and texting.

Leave the net at home.

We would be fine in that scenario.

Agree

#15 Posted by AFBrat77 (26698 posts) -

@warmblur:

Thanks, as I see it a cel phone is a good move forward for phone calls and texting, but society is fine without adding internet to a phone, to me that was a mistake. I have no problem with using the internet on a desktop or laptop, where it served it's purpose in my opinion. In other words, take me back to 1998 or so and I am fine in these respects. But no 56k modern!

#16 Edited by Serraph105 (33639 posts) -

@warmblur "but besides that they have been abused to a point now where it's causes accidents and deaths."

What widely used item in society hasn't done this? Personally I think we should come up with a technology like google home without the surveillance aspect. Items that allow you to get the information you want without having to look down at a screen and get sucked into a rabbit hole of information like smartphones so often do.

#17 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4767 posts) -

@AFBrat77: Aww, but I'm googling things all the time on my phone. I think it's a blessing.

Avatar image for superfluousreal
#18 Posted by SuperfluousReal (223 posts) -

Yes & no.

They help where people would usually need to buy a computer, for instance internet searches, or even something as docile as looking for a job, it can all be done in the palm of your hand. But that said having everything in1 place means most peoples attention spans are weakened to just their device in their hand.

The system that ties them in also does not help, like searching, popularity contests etc.. This is normal behavior even if they had no phone, but in reality a person would know when to stop.

#19 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (25233 posts) -

Although, my family have smartphones, I don't have one yet. I've done okay without one.

#20 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43748 posts) -

I lived a lot of my life in a society without smart phones, and it was not better. Having that information at your fingertips is just too valuable, entertaining, and useful.

People act like 15+ years ago when we waited in line for things it was like this great social event, like we all just sort of talked to each other, and we somehow lost something when smart phones came along.

Nope. Not at all.

What did we do in waiting rooms? Read magazines. What do we do now? Read articles on smart phones.

What did we do when waiting in line? Stand there and stare ahead while getting impatient. What do we do now? Entertain ourselves.

My only real gripe about smart phones is it doesn't force people to be at peace with nothing. Sometimes it's good to just stand there with nothing but time and your brain while you wait or do something, let your thoughts wander. This need for constant stimulation, to literally pick up your phone--to check out Facebook, Instagram, or whatever--the split second you are not doing anything, is worrying.

But honestly, I have no real objections. The second we can get implants and have the wealth of knowledge the internet can bring us simply by thinking, I am signing up for that. To simply think "How do I make ramen broth?" (or any number of things) and then know how to do that is an incredible gift.

#21 Edited by mrbojangles25 (43748 posts) -

@ezekiel43 said:

I don't like them. They've done so much damage to the social aspect of life. Screen zombies everywhere I look.

Yeah I don't like phones at the table, that's just bad manners. More of a statement on the individual than society as a whole; if you're the kind of person that pulls out a cell phone when sitting down to eat or hang out with someone, your problem isn't the phone, it's your general lack of a sense of courtesy.

#22 Posted by Stranger_36 (641 posts) -

Although I find smartphones irritating, we probably wouldn't be any better off without them.

#23 Posted by GTR12 (13457 posts) -

If we get rid of "Smart" phones, do we get rid of "Smart" TV's, watches, shoes, fridges, vacuum cleaners? (I'm sure there's more smart devices, but I cant think of any).

#24 Posted by Chutebox (44477 posts) -

I'd rather get rid of social media than smart phones....but still yes we would be better

#25 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6669 posts) -

Black Mirror effect.

#26 Posted by Macutchi (6693 posts) -

in the uk we just call them phones

#27 Posted by foxhound_fox (97849 posts) -

Society would be better off without organized religion and conservative politicians. Two of the main reasons why science has been held back over the last 30-40 years. Smart phones are just an evolution of technology. The power of a desktop computer in the palm of your hand.

#28 Posted by LJS9502_basic (166331 posts) -

I think tech is making people regress.

#29 Posted by Ovirew (8848 posts) -

It was always going to happen. I think more good than harm probably comes from phones. But the big, huge, damaging thing is that it is harder to meet people now because they are less interested in talking to those around them.