thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

I've watched about half so far - not what I expected at all. Not even the nazis have swastickas.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I slept through the entire movie.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I thought it was a really well done Captian America rip off.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1642 Posts

@thereal25: Well they wouldn't have, would they. Because it's in WW1 not WW2.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58955 Posts

It's a pretty meh movie. I think it probably got artificially inflated thanks to the other movies being so terrible and progressives excitedly praising at anything remotely within their agenda even if it's garbage.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

I still like it. I've seen it a few times and it's by far the best DC movie in recent times.

First half is really good, I enjoyed the buildup and the origin story, very well done.

and FFS they're Germans, not Nazis.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

It didn't look interesting although, to be fair, most live action superhero movies don't appeal to me.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#17 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

It's World War I. They're German Empire, not Nazis. Nazis were World War II.

Anyway, I thought Wonder Woman was a well-made if undistinguished flick; solid but nothing special. Patty Jenkins really seemed to understand what the character was all about, and Gal Gadot put it a strong and charismatic performance. Everything else was merely okay.

It's the best DCEU movie so far by a wide margin, and unfortunately that's not saying much.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@crimsonbrute said:

It didn't look interesting although, to be fair, most live action superhero movies don't appeal to me.

yeah, I wish this comic book hero craze happened in my 20s. Back then we felt it would be awesome, now that its here I am grown out of it.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@tryit said:

yeah, I wish this comic book hero craze happened in my 20s. Back then we felt it would be awesome, now that its here I am grown out of it.

Not that necessarily, I just prefer animated superhero movies like Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox. Hell, the Wonder Woman animated movie was much more appealing than the live action version.

And I'll say this: Yes. I am fully aware that they are both pretty much the same movie. I still stand by my statement.

paulagnes1745

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 paulagnes1745
Member since 2018 • 8 Posts

Yes it was boring.... to much CGI without heart.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

I thought it was a ok movie. Sure it's not in the same level as the best MCU films but when you compare it to the other DCEU movies, they make Wonder Woman look like a masterpiece.

byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

Ya, got bored and turned it off when they formed their rag tag little group to go find Ares. Part of the reason, for me, was all the hype had me going in with high expectations and it turned out to just be meh. Contrast BVS where my expectations were sooo incredibly low I managed to finish it because I knew what I was getting into when I started watching.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thereal25
@Bond007uk said:

@thereal25: Well they wouldn't have, would they. Because it's in WW1 not WW2.

Woops, somehow I thought I heard the word Nazi but okay - my mistake.

@uninspiredcup said:

It's a pretty meh movie. I think it probably got artificially inflated thanks to the other movies being so terrible and progressives excitedly praising at anything remotely within their agenda even if it's garbage.

Well that's just it isn't it? A "strong female lead"...

@mrbojangles25 said:

I still like it. I've seen it a few times and it's by far the best DC movie in recent times.

First half is really good, I enjoyed the buildup and the origin story, very well done.

and FFS they're Germans, not Nazis.

Okay, my mistake about the Germans but ... gimme batman any day!

@trickycreeper said:

I'd say that it is very boring!

Yup... can't believe it got such high ratings. I couldn't get engaged in the first half so I didn't even finish it... the main character - I dunno, I expected a little more "swag". And no other character in the show was interesting either... even the action sequences - from what I saw were mediocre!

IronBrigador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 IronBrigador
Member since 2018 • 113 Posts

I thought it was simply enjoyable. It wasnt bad but its not Dark Knight Rises calibreor Watchmen. A little lesser than the first Captain America which it shamelessly aped.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34607 Posts

It was indeed boring, and quite frankly, just plain bad. Worst movie I've seen in quite a while.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thereal25

@Litchie said:

It was indeed boring, and quite frankly, just plain bad. Worst movie I've seen in quite a while.

Thanks for your honesty. It seems people are almost scared of calling it out for what it is. Afraid to step on the sjw's toes...

I was reading a review from a professional critic and he was so tentative in his approach but clearly he thought it was boring too.

Anway, if I can judge it based on the half of it that I saw - then yes, it really was pretty bad lol.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34607 Posts
@thereal25 said:
@Litchie said:

Thanks for your honesty. It seems people are almost scared of calling it out for what it is. Afraid to step on the sjw's toes...

I was reading a review from a professional critic and he was so tentative in his approach but clearly he thought it was boring too.

Anway, if I can judge it based on the half of it that I saw - then yes, it really was pretty bad lol.

Yeah, I can understand that but personally don't give a shit. I'd probably be more careful if I wrote an article about it on a popular website, though. If anything, from a social justice point of view, I think it's a bit sad the movie is so bad. Good movies are better at bringing forward women.

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Thought it was below average. Like others have said I think people were either caught up in the sjw stuff or too scared of the backlash they might face for criticizing it.

I know someone who never ever says a bad thing about anything DC but even he agreed that probably played a role in its success.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Thought it was great, a solid 8/10 from me!

Senergy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Senergy
Member since 2018 • 49 Posts

It was quite normal. Not too boring and not too very interesting. I have watched this movie once, I don't mind watching this movie again.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

It was a good movie, very entertaining. Also learn history. WW1 did not have Nazi's.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@AsadMahdi59 said:

Thought it was below average. Like others have said I think people were either caught up in the sjw stuff or too scared of the backlash they might face for criticizing it.

I know someone who never ever says a bad thing about anything DC but even he agreed that probably played a role in its success.

Seeing that it certainly doesn't have a 100% score on Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic, that obviously means that some critics gave it unfavorable reviews.

So I'm just curious: what happened to the critics who thought that Wonder Woman wasn't very good? Did they get fired? Beaten up? Maybe someone egged their car? What kind of backlash did those critics face?

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

@MrGeezer:

Angry tweets.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 thereal25

@MrGeezer said:
@AsadMahdi59 said:

Seeing that it certainly doesn't have a 100% score on Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic, that obviously means that some critics gave it unfavorable reviews.

So I'm just curious: what happened to the critics who thought that Wonder Woman wasn't very good? Did they get fired? Beaten up? Maybe someone egged their car? What kind of backlash did those critics face?

Not sure if you're being serious there, but I'm guessing it's mostly that people don't want to be labelled (or thought of) as un-progressive or sexist.

Now on that note, I have nothing against equality or lead female roles or anything like that - it's just that wonder woman really was a bland and mediocre movie - on many levels.

I liked the resident evil movies, the underworld movies and Lucy.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MrGeezer

@thereal25 said:

Not sure if you're being serious there, but I'm guessing it's mostly that people don't want to be labelled (or thought of) as un-progressive or sexist.

Now on that note, I have nothing against equality or lead female roles or anything like that - it's just that wonder woman really was a bland and mediocre movie - on many levels.

Yeah, I'm being serious. Like, someone can leave an angry tweet calling the reviewers sexist, but...so what? Seeing as the movie clearly DID get negative reviews, I'm wondering precisely what actually happened to the critics who gave negative reviews. Did them being labelled as sexist actually translate into any kind of tangible harm such as losing their jobs?

Look, I'm not saying that current social climates don't have any effect on how people judge art and entertainment, but I'm far from convinced that there's some widespread tactic of critics actually lying about their opinions because they're afraid someone might call them sexist. I mean, these critics are also professionals and part of what they're being paid for is their honest opinions. If their opinions are being bought or coerced, then that makes their reviews pretty worthless to the average reader, doesn't it? Most readers check out reviews in order to see what the critic actually thought about the movie, and there's not really any reason to read the review if the critic is being dishonest. So for there to be any widespread occurence of critics lying about their opinions because they're afraid of the backlash, I'd have to imagine that the backlash would have to be pretty freaking severe. I'm not convinced that "someone might call me a sexist" is a good enough motivation.

Furthermore, like you say, we're talking about a freaking Wonder Woman movie. When I think about movies that critics aren't allowed to hate, I'm thinking more along the lines of Schindler's List. Not bland and forgettable superhero movies. I have a hard time accepting that we as a society have gotten to the point where the appearance of making the correct statement is so important that people can't even criticize movies that really aren't that good. I mean, I liked Wonder Woman well enough, but even I had some big complaints about it and I can certainly see why some people wouldn't like it much at all. It's hardly the pinnacle of current cinema, the kind of movie that one just plain isn't allowed to dislike.

And I don't recall the Resident Evil movies, the Underworld movies, or Lucy being exactly critically praised either. I could be mistaken, but I recall the overall critical reception to those movies being middling at best. So it's certainly not the case that critics are all just heaping praise upon any action movie that happens to have a strong female protagonist. I mean, it's one thing to disagree that Wonder Woman should have received such a positive critical reception, but sometimes people just disagree about movies. It happens. But I think it's going WAY too far to suggest that the critics overwhelmingly didn't like the movie at all and simply gave it positive reviews because they were afraid of some backlash. Now, if the critics who fell out of line DID suffer some kind of harsh backlash (such as being fired), then I stand corrected.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 thereal25
@MrGeezer said:
@thereal25 said:

Yeah, I'm being serious. Like, someone can leave an angry tweet calling the reviewers sexist, but...so what? Seeing as the movie clearly DID get negative reviews, I'm wondering precisely what actually happened to the critics who gave negative reviews. Did them being labelled as sexist actually translate into any kind of tangible harm such as losing their jobs?

Look, I'm not saying that current social climates don't have any effect on how people judge art and entertainment, but I'm far from convinced that there's some widespread tactic of critics actually lying about their opinions because they're afraid someone might call them sexist. I mean, these critics are also professionals and part of what they're being paid for is their honest opinions. If their opinions are being bought or coerced, then that makes their reviews pretty worthless to the average reader, doesn't it? Most readers check out reviews in order to see what the critic actually thought about the movie, and there's not really any reason to read the review if the critic is being dishonest. So for there to be any widespread occurence of critics lying about their opinions because they're afraid of the backlash, I'd have to imagine that the backlash would have to be pretty freaking severe. I'm not convinced that "someone might call me a sexist" is a good enough motivation.

Furthermore, like you say, we're talking about a freaking Wonder Woman movie. When I think about movies that critics aren't allowed to hate, I'm thinking more along the lines of Schindler's List. Not bland and forgettable superhero movies. I have a hard time accepting that we as a society have gotten to the point where the appearance of making the correct statement is so important that people can't even criticize movies that really aren't that good. I mean, I liked Wonder Woman well enough, but even I had some big complaints about it and I can certainly see why some people wouldn't like it much at all. It's hardly the pinnacle of current cinema, the kind of movie that one just plain isn't allowed to dislike.

And I don't recall the Resident Evil movies, the Underworld movies, or Lucy being exactly critically praised either. I could be mistaken, but I recall the overall critical reception to those movies being middling at best. So it's certainly not the case that critics are all just heaping praise upon any action movie that happens to have a strong female protagonist. I mean, it's one thing to disagree that Wonder Woman should have received such a positive critical reception, but sometimes people just disagree about movies. It happens. But I think it's going WAY too far to suggest that the critics overwhelmingly didn't like the movie at all and simply gave it positive reviews because they were afraid of some backlash. Now, if the critics who fell out of line DID suffer some kind of harsh backlash (such as being fired), then I stand corrected.

Okay, I've read what you've written there carefully - and I appreciate what you're saying.

But I still think that to some extent, professional and even casual reviewers are letting their biases sway them a bit here. Yes, it's "progressive", yes it's all about female empowerment and yes it's rather unique and original in some ways - but is that stuff really the ingredients that make a movie great?

And I also have to wonder if there's a bit of peer pressure thrown in there too. I mean it's not so easy to say something sucks when most others are singing high praises. So, those who weren't too impressed with it might have toned down their criticism a bit.

Also, after reading through some of the reviews I guess it's also a matter of taste/opinion. I personally found the plot to be implausible [an invisible island of female warriors - suuuure], the characters cheesy, and the attempts at humor, unfunny.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MrGeezer

@thereal25 said:

Okay, I've read what you've written there carefully - and I appreciate what you're saying.

But I still think that to some extent, professional and even casual reviewers are letting their biases sway them a bit here. Yes, it's "progressive", yes it's all about female empowerment and yes it's rather unique and original in some ways - but is that stuff really the ingredients that make a movie great?

And I also have to wonder if there's a bit of peer pressure thrown in there too. I mean it's not so easy to say something sucks when most others are singing high praises. So, those who weren't too impressed with it might have toned down their criticism a bit.

Also, after reading through some of the reviews I guess it's also a matter of taste/opinion. I personally found the plot to be implausible [an invisible island of female warriors - suuuure], the characters cheesy, and the attempts at humor, unfunny.

"A bit", sure. I'm not disputing that. But that'd be more like "mildly exaggerating the quality of something that they already sort of like" vs "seeing something that they hate and pretending that they like it."

I mean, if someone is raving about a musician that I sort of like, and then asks me what I think of that musician, their comments might sway me towards being a bit more positive than I otherwise would have been. But that's not going to be sufficient for me to pretend that I like Limp Bizkit. And that's without me actually being a professional critic and having to care about things such as "credibility."

Again, I'm not saying that peer pressure or current social climate doesn't have ANY effect. Of course it has an effect. I just think that a lot of people are overstating that effect. Professional critics may definitely have their opinions swayed a little bit by peer pressure and social pressure, but it's also sort of their JOB to give reviews that are HONEST. And I don't see those critics overwhelmingly being completely dishonest about the works that they're judging unless there are some absolutely dire consequences for falling out of line.

When it comes to overwhelming consensus on a movie being either good or bad (like above 90% or lower than 10%), I'll take that as still being a pretty good general indicator of what critics REALLY think. Even if they're adjusting their review (consciously or subconsciously) a bit in either direction, I find it highly unlikely that there's a widespread tendency to take a movie that they think is a 2 star movie and then give it five stars just because they're afraid of someone calling them bad names. Even if there's a bit of such a bias at play, movies such as Wonder Woman have a high enough critical reception that they probably would have been MOSTLY well-received critically even without benefiting from such a bias.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thereal25

@MrGeezer said:
@thereal25 said:

"A bit", sure. I'm not disputing that. But that'd be more like "mildly exaggerating the quality of something that they already sort of like" vs "seeing something that they hate and pretending that they like it."

I mean, if someone is raving about a musician that I sort of like, and then asks me what I think of that musician, their comments might sway me towards being a bit more positive than I otherwise would have been. But that's not going to be sufficient for me to pretend that I like Limp Bizkit. And that's without me actually being a professional critic and having to care about things such as "credibility."

Again, I'm not saying that peer pressure or current social climate doesn't have ANY effect. Of course it has an effect. I just think that a lot of people are overstating that effect. Professional critics may definitely have their opinions swayed a little bit by peer pressure and social pressure, but it's also sort of their JOB to give reviews that are HONEST. And I don't see those critics overwhelmingly being completely dishonest about the works that they're judging unless there are some absolutely dire consequences for falling out of line.

When it comes to overwhelming consensus on a movie being either good or bad (like above 90% or lower than 10%), I'll take that as still being a pretty good general indicator of what critics REALLY think. Even if they're adjusting their review (consciously or subconsciously) a bit in either direction, I find it highly unlikely that there's a widespread tendency to take a movie that they think is a 2 star movie and then give it five stars just because they're afraid of someone calling them bad names. Even if there's a bit of such a bias at play, movies such as Wonder Woman have a high enough critical reception that they probably would have been MOSTLY well-received critically even without benefiting from such a bias.

I think that's a fair assessment.

So it mainly just boils down to differing tastes... my personal tastes don't always merge with the majority - and this is definitely one of those times!

goldenavenger2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 goldenavenger2
Member since 2018 • 12 Posts

It's the only thing that got me to even consider watching any other DC movie again. I was pretty much done with that universe (because it's shite) and then I went to see Wonder Woman and I was blown away by the fact that it's an actually decent movie.

It's not phenomenal, it didn't change my life. But it is a decent superhero movie, and I really enjoyed it. It's also the only reason I bothered to go see Justice League. It's too bad Diana couldn't save that movie :(

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

It wasn't bad, just wait for the action. With all the action packed movies these days, its hard to be pleased with a ok movie.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Not a bad movie, but not quite great. Several boring stretches. Still 8.0/10

The majority of Marvel movies are equal or better.