Woman faces 30 days jail for cussing in public

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

@korvus: " woman says **** and she gets arrested? Was she causing a scene that was traumatizing people? Was she dangerous, violent, preventing others from shopping, disturbing the peace?"

no but I did state in an earlier post that some people may see it as verbally abusing the child, she didn't just say "****" she swore directly at her child and if that's how the mother behaves towards her child in public how does she behave towards the child behind closed doors? She maybe physically and verbally abusive to the child behind closed doors(not saying she is). So in the interest of the child maybe it is a good thing that the police were called so they can make sure everything is ok with the child and child services can take an interest and just make sure everything is ok at home. I know that seems intrusive but it's in the child's best interest and if the parents are actually decent people they should understand and accept any concern child services may have and work with them to show they are actually good parents. Too many times people turn a blind eye to suttle signs that a child maybe abused and the child either ends up dead or continually abused and grows up into a fucked up individual. I know I've gone off topic but, just saying :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 0

#52 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@xeno_ghost: I can sympathise with your feelings but as someone who was abused by both my parents, I would say that "stop squishing the fucking bread" is nor here nor there in establishing whether she might be an abusive parent or not...if I misbehaved in public (and misbehaving it could be something as simple as not moving my ass the very second my mother would say "let's go") nothing would happen in public, she would patiently wait for me to get a move on with a loving smile. As soon as we'd get home she'd grab whatever was at hand and hit me with it until she felt better.

Also, according to the article, she claims she was talking to her husband (and in today's America, where every little thing is a crime, especially in what's related to children) I find it easier to believe she would talk to her husband like that before talking to the children.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Xeno_ghost

@korvus: "as someone who was abused by both my parents"

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger my man.

"I find it easier to believe she would talk to her husband like that before talking to the children"

I would like to believe that to but I'm sure the witness has no reason to lie, the witness states;

"that she approached Ms Wolfe and asked her to stop using foul language toward her children - and Ms Wolfe responded by turning the foul language toward her"

She also says;

"the bad language gave her a flashback to her childhood, when she was abused by her parents"

Which I never knew that that was the actual reason she called the police until I read the whole article just now, so I was right it was more out of concern for the kids that the police were called.

Anyway like I said before there are some situations when disorderly conduct requires police attention and other situations that don't. With this situation where a mother seemed to be verbally abusing the kids, if I was witness to that and didn't call the cops I think I would have laid awake at night wondering if maybe I should have called the cops just for the kids safety, I mean that mother clearly has no self control. When you think about it like that it's a tough one to call.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@xeno_ghost: Then let us hope that every time a mother is having a bad day with her children people like you are around to get her arrested...sorry man, it's not about you particularly, but I can't empathise with your view of this particular subject.

Also, the woman said she called the police because she was having a bad day, so maybe she called the cops because she was annoyed at the woman, and later claimed to have done it for the kids. I guess we'll never know either way.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@xeno_ghost said:

@airshocker: are you saying it's ok to have people shouting swear words while your trying to enjoy your time with your family as long as you explain to your kids that it is unacceptable? Does explaining that some how detract from the unpleasant experience? That kind of behaviour is disorderly and has no place in public where families and children are.

Oh boy you must never go to a big sports event..

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Xeno_ghost

@korvus: "Then let us hope that every time a mother is having a bad day with her children people like you are around to get her arrested"

I never said I would call the police, i probably wouldn't, I guess it would depend on how aggressive the mother was being towards her children.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@xeno_ghost: But that has been the point of all my posts...I never advocated not doing anything; I never said "Let her curse at her kids all day long"...I'm merely trying to voice my opinion that there are 20 things you can do in that situation that is less traumatic and damaging to everyone involved (especially the kids) than having the police show up and taking the mother away.

I've been in situations where mothers were just yelling at kids who wouldn't stop running around in a supermarket, and I remember this situation in particular, where I approached the mother, asked her what was going on and she just started crying, saying she was so tired of running after them that she didn't know what to do. So I told her I'd take them to the nearby kids park, sat her in a bench where she could see the kids, and took them to the slides and the swings...I gave her a 5 minute break and all of a sudden it was like she had just came back from a month long vacation in Hawaii. Of course, in the US I could have just called the cops and have her arrested.

Hopefully I've made my point clear...I'm not saying that you should always call the cops, I'm not saying you should never call the cops, I'm just saying people need to use common sense and assess the situation instead of just going with the knee-jerk reaction. There's precious little support to be had from strangers nowadays, and that's bad enough without people trying to actively screw you over just because they don't agree with what you're doing and act as judge, jury and executioner based on the 5 seconds they looked at you.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Xeno_ghost

@sSubZerOo: "Oh boy you must never go to a big sports event"

The words time and place spring to mind :P

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Xeno_ghost

@korvus: Agreed :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@xeno_ghost: Hooray for common ground! ;)

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Xeno_ghost

@korvus: it's refreshing to have a discussion without having insults thrown around, I take it you are not American lol :P

By the way did you end up sleeping with the mother you rescued? If not that was an Epic fail lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@xeno_ghost: I have a bad temper and boil quickly but I'm normally not prone to insulting. I'm from Portugal originally =)

And no, I didn't sleep with her =) I've always been a romantic...the whole "saving myself for the one". Outdated concept for girls, ridiculed concept for boys, but I am who I am =) And when I finally met the girl who became my wife, it really made it all that much more special for me ^_^

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Xeno_ghost

@korvus: "And when I finally met the girl who became my wife, it really made it all that much more special for me"

Good for you bro!! I don't see anything wrong with waiting for that special someone, and I'm sure it was worth the wait :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@xeno_ghost: That's very nice of you to say; thank you =D

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#65 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

What the ****, what about freedom of speech?

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Much ado about nothing. Every jurisdiction has some form of disorderly conduct law on the books, which is commonly a catch all for people who are a public nuisance. There is a need for such a law: however, the actual enforcement is normally a discretion for the officers. This was poor judgement by the officer involved, nothing more. No doubt he is now being razzed by his coworkers.

As for the charge, it almost certainly will not go ahead. If it does the judge will likely lecture the officer not to waste the courts' time in the future and the most she will get is a modest fine.

The only reason we are discussing this is because it is absurd, which is precisely why it is not worth worrying about. One dim witted officer's judgement does not a police state make.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#68 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@jasean79 said:

I don't understand the issue. The article states that this would fall under the disorderly conduct ordinance of this SC city. Should she have been arrested? No. A little extreme that the store clerk would seek police assistance instead of asking the woman to wrap it up and leave the store, sure. This could've been handled a multitude of ways. Usually people like this, when called out on their behavior by management, will either stop or leave the store. But then again, not everyone is raised with the same morals as us decent folk, so...

Which morals would they be?

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@THUMPTABLE said:

@jasean79 said:

I don't understand the issue. The article states that this would fall under the disorderly conduct ordinance of this SC city. Should she have been arrested? No. A little extreme that the store clerk would seek police assistance instead of asking the woman to wrap it up and leave the store, sure. This could've been handled a multitude of ways. Usually people like this, when called out on their behavior by management, will either stop or leave the store. But then again, not everyone is raised with the same morals as us decent folk, so...

Which morals would they be?

The fact that you had to ask implies that you may not have them. :/

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#70  Edited By SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

Potty-mouths are bad people.

l34052