why many people are becoming atheists nowadays ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#301 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

More knowledge at our fingertips is only going to make more people realize that Christianity is basically a copy of ancient Egyptian religion Phaze-Two

lol, no.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#302 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
it's the trendy thing to do.comp_atkins
I don't know for sure but if I had to guess, I'd say it's resentment towards powerful religious institutions in combination with a lot of anti-religious advertisement from jerks like Maher, Dawkins, and Hitchens (RIP...or don't, I don't care)
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#303 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

[QUOTE="Phaze-Two"]More knowledge at our fingertips is only going to make more people realize that Christianity is basically a copy of ancient Egyptian religion worlock77

lol, no.

copy, no, but the Bible is, for lack of a better term, a collection of fables and stories from many different cultures, religions, and stuff like that.

roadwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304 roadwish
Member since 2005 • 425 Posts

Most people just go with the fashion. There are places in the world where there aren't many religious people like Estonia which is probably onf the least religious countries in the developed world. Although we don't criticize religious people or mock them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#305 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts
A lot of people here have massive ego problems. I guess their lives are so pathetic that the only thing keeping them going is that everybody is secretly like them but pretends to disagree due to some fad but will inevitably mature and become part of the religious master race. After all I'm sure the social regects and teens of OT know the answer to life the universe and everything. Why would anyone disagree with such intellectuals?
Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#306 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

My family use to be Christian (being a kid at the time, I just went along with the ride). We'd do the whole prayer thing every night, and go to church every Sunday. But we stopped doing this around when I was 7 or something because my parents got tired of waking up early to go to church lol. After that, I slowly stopped doing the praying and everything, especially after I fell in love with video games.

I really became an atheist because I never really cared about religion. I started paying attention to atheist ideals and problems with religion during my teen years because of my peers and elders.

All in all, I just worry about what's going on with my life at the moment, and do my deep, meaningful thinking in the shower, or right before I go to sleep lol.

jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 jesuschristmonk

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Phaze-Two"]More knowledge at our fingertips is only going to make more people realize that Christianity is basically a copy of ancient Egyptian religion mrbojangles25

lol, no.

copy, no, but the Bible is, for lack of a better term, a collection of fables and stories from many different cultures, religions, and stuff like that.

Yep.
quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts
When you introduce people from all over the world into one pot the diversity becomes like the FM dial on the radio. (i.e. fragmented)
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#309 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"][QUOTE="CountBleck12"]

Because I don't believe things like stoning children to death for being disobedient with their parents is good. I believe in common sense to be blunt, from what I read in the bible it has many contradictions.

Buckhannah
Can you name contradictions in the Bible?

We have entire websites full of them, you can google "bible contradictions" right now and get a dozen of them, or just go visit the skeptics annotated bible and go to the contradictions section. I believe it's near the misogyny and human sacrifice section.

I'd rather hear them from you, because I have seen these "contradtions" dozen times over. A couple of things to keep in mind when you look at these sites. One, most of them tend to look at events from a 21st century perspective. One of the golden rules of anthropology is that every event should be judged by the standards of that time (there is no such thing as the Geneva code in Ancient Times, women are considered property by many societies, etc.). Two, in some cases, there is a blatant disregard for context or distorting a verse to suit their own interpretations. (Jephthah's story is meant to be a warning against making a rash vow rather than condoning human sacrifice).
Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts
[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"] I'd rather hear them from you

Doesn't matter who you hear them from, contradictions are what they are, and the bible is full of them. This isn't even up for a discussion anymore, that's generally accepted information, like the sky being blue, and the grass green. It's no matter of "you're looking at it from a 21 st century perspective", when the bible says one thing, then says the polar opposite, that is a contradiction. When the biblical god does something evil, it's evil, regardless of the times he supposedly did it in. The bible is a patchwork book of fables and myths with some names changed around to suit the needs of the people who wrote it and help them consolidate their power over others, nothing more, nothing less.
Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 Buckhannah
(Jephthah's story is meant to be a warning against making a rash vow rather than condoning human sacrifice).hiphops_savior
Oh, so Jepthah did not exist and the biblical god did not accept that offering? Because it reads like the biblical god stood by and watched a young girl burn alive. Not exactly helping his tattered reputation.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312 hiphops_savior
[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"](Jephthah's story is meant to be a warning against making a rash vow rather than condoning human sacrifice).Buckhannah
Oh, so Jepthah did not exist and the biblical god did not accept that offering? Because it reads like the biblical god stood by and watched a young girl burn alive. Not exactly helping his tattered reputation.

If anything, the whole theme of Judges was how Israel failed when they strayed from God. When you look at the entire arc, you begin to notice that the situation is only going to get worse and worse. Jephthah's failure pales in comparison to Samson or when a priest's concubine got gangraped and killed.
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313 jesuschristmonk

>Mfw the Bible has contradictions because, they're fake stories that are suppose to represent morals, and are not to be taken seriously by anyone.

willy-wonka-wilder-300x300.jpg

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314 Buckhannah
[If anything, the whole theme of Judges was how Israel failed when they strayed from God. When you look at the entire arc, you begin to notice that the situation is only going to get worse and worse. Jephthah's failure pales in comparison to Samson or when a priest's concubine got gangraped and killed.hiphops_savior
You didn't actually answer my question.
Oh, so Jepthah did not exist and the biblical god did not accept that offering? Because it reads like the biblical god stood by and watched a young girl burn alive. Not exactly helping his tattered reputation.Buckhannah
seahorse123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315 seahorse123
Member since 2012 • 1237 Posts

Example U.S ( religiosity is on decline in U.S while atheism is on the rise ). Why are people losing faith in god/religion ?

Whats your opinion OT?  

indzman
Because they have opened their minds to fact. More education= more logical thinking.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

I love how a lot of people are saying that people become atheists because its the trendy and cool thing to do:lol:

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#317 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17863 Posts

A lot of people here have massive ego problems. I guess their lives are so pathetic that the only thing keeping them going is that everybody is secretly like them but pretends to disagree due to some fad but will inevitably mature and become part of the religious master race. After all I'm sure the social regects and teens of OT know the answer to life the universe and everything. Why would anyone disagree with such intellectuals? toast_burner

I'm 37 so...don't hold your breath.

;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
A lot of people here have massive ego problems. I guess their lives are so pathetic that the only thing keeping them going is that everybody is secretly like them but pretends to disagree due to some fad but will inevitably mature and become part of the religious master race. After all I'm sure the social regects and teens of OT know the answer to life the universe and everything. Why would anyone disagree with such intellectuals? toast_burner
I hope this is sarcasm.... :P
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts
[QUOTE="toast_burner"]A lot of people here have massive ego problems. I guess their lives are so pathetic that the only thing keeping them going is that everybody is secretly like them but pretends to disagree due to some fad but will inevitably mature and become part of the religious master race. After all I'm sure the social regects and teens of OT know the answer to life the universe and everything. Why would anyone disagree with such intellectuals? MBirdy88
I hope this is sarcasm.... :P

the part about them being losers isn't, the part about them being intellectuals is.
Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 Ncsoftlover
Member since 2007 • 2152 Posts

before an atheists should be a default position to be born into, I just never became religious.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I love how a lot of people are saying that people become atheists because its the trendy and cool thing to do:lol:

Wolfetan
Atheism/agnosticism is pretty cool compared to indoctrinating your kids (or being indoctrinated)
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="Buckhannah"][QUOTE="hiphops_savior"](Jephthah's story is meant to be a warning against making a rash vow rather than condoning human sacrifice).hiphops_savior

If anything, the whole theme of Judges was how Israel failed when they strayed from God. When you look at the entire arc, you begin to notice that the situation is only going to get worse and worse. Jephthah's failure pales in comparison to Samson or when a priest's concubine got gangraped and killed.

If I am in the position where I can stop something bad from happening, like a person getting killed or raped...I would stop it.  That's the difference between me and your god.  Yours lets it happen, and thinks "when you're dead, i'll punish you."

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"][QUOTE="Buckhannah"] Oh, so Jepthah did not exist and the biblical god did not accept that offering? Because it reads like the biblical god stood by and watched a young girl burn alive. Not exactly helping his tattered reputation.wis3boi

If I am in the position where I can stop something bad from happening, like a person getting killed or raped...I would stop it.  That's the difference between me and your god.  Yours lets it happen, and thinks "when you're dead, i'll punish you."

It doesn't even really matter. Faith is completely devoid of logic. If it actually made any sense, it wouldn't be called "faith". The logic of it is equal to me believing in the Kraken, or unicorns. The details don't matter, it's purely just the overlaying concept of having to adhere to additional rules in order to achieve an after-life that concerns them. I suspect they can't cope with a complete lack of consciousness.
The__Kraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 The__Kraken
Member since 2012 • 858 Posts

It doesn't even really matter. Faith is completely devoid of logic. If it actually made any sense, it wouldn't be called "faith". The logic of it is equal to me believing in the Kraken, or unicorns. The details don't matter, it's purely just the overlaying concept of having to adhere to additional rules in order to achieve an after-life that concerns them. I suspect they can't cope with a complete lack of consciousness.KHAndAnime

Better start believing.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#325 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] It doesn't even really matter. Faith is completely devoid of logic. If it actually made any sense, it wouldn't be called "faith". The logic of it is equal to me believing in the Kraken, or unicorns. The details don't matter, it's purely just the overlaying concept of having to adhere to additional rules in order to achieve an after-life that concerns them. I suspect they can't cope with a complete lack of consciousness.The__Kraken

Better start believing.

777 posts? I'm a believer.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#326 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

Wolfetan

yeah, I can honestly say I have never heard that until this thread lol.

[QUOTE="Wolfetan"]

KHAndAnime

Atheism/agnosticism is pretty cool compared to indoctrinating your kids (or being indoctrinated)

WEll, yeah, but that is more of a perk, not the cause

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327 hiphops_savior
It doesn't even really matter. Faith is completely devoid of logic. If it actually made any sense, it wouldn't be called "faith". The logic of it is equal to me believing in the Kraken, or unicorns. The details don't matter, it's purely just the overlaying concept of having to adhere to additional rules in order to achieve an after-life that concerns them. I suspect they can't cope with a complete lack of consciousness.KHAndAnime
What defines logic? The thing about faith is that each interpretation is subjective. For every point you make to disprove, I can use that same point to point out that there are underlying conditions that point towards God. The evils of humanity, for example, certainly validates that sin is a real problem, just as much as using rules and regulations to go to heaven (a very Hindu thought, but that's off topic).
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328 hiphops_savior

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"][QUOTE="Buckhannah"] Oh, so Jepthah did not exist and the biblical god did not accept that offering? Because it reads like the biblical god stood by and watched a young girl burn alive. Not exactly helping his tattered reputation.wis3boi

The biggest difference between you and God is one of them has a far bigger view in mind. Can you stop every rape from happening? Or does such a traumatic event drives the person to help others who suffered the same thing? Terrible things happen, but how you deal with it is what separates the great. It's interesting that for someone who claims to be atheist, your moral compass shows a very Christian one. Don't take it personally, because I'm glad that you are shocked and angered. I just think that anger is misdirected.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
[QUOTE="Buckhannah"]The hatred of gays can almost always be traced back to religion.MrGeezer
Can YOU back that up with any hard data, or is that simply more unsubstantiated conjecture? Plenty of nonreligious people have a problem with gays. They don't follow religion at all, and still are homophobes. If you're gonna say that's only because they great great grandparents were religious, then I'm gonna need some evidence. How would you even support such an assertion in the first place?

The more religious you are the more likely you are going to be homophobic, and the less religious you are the less likely you are going to be homophobic. That's a correlation that's been substantiated through polling. Moreover, no other institution promotes a homophobic culture to the degree that certain religions do. Sure, someone can be homophobic without being religious, but religion has normalized that homophobia to the point where holding anti-gay sentiments is socially acceptable (at least historically, as society has become more secular it's been harder for these people to express their actual views on the subject in mixed company), regardless of the specific religious views (or lack thereof) of any given homophobe.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330 worlock77

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"] If anything, the whole theme of Judges was how Israel failed when they strayed from God. When you look at the entire arc, you begin to notice that the situation is only going to get worse and worse. Jephthah's failure pales in comparison to Samson or when a priest's concubine got gangraped and killed.hiphops_savior

The biggest difference between you and God is one of them has a far bigger view in mind. Can you stop every rape from happening? Or does such a traumatic event drives the person to help others who suffered the same thing? Terrible things happen, but how you deal with it is what separates the great. It's interesting that for someone who claims to be atheist, your moral compass shows a very Christian one. Don't take it personally, because I'm glad that you are shocked and angered. I just think that anger is misdirected.

No, it shows a very human one. If you think these morals originate with Christianity then you're sorely mistaken.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"] If anything, the whole theme of Judges was how Israel failed when they strayed from God. When you look at the entire arc, you begin to notice that the situation is only going to get worse and worse. Jephthah's failure pales in comparison to Samson or when a priest's concubine got gangraped and killed.hiphops_savior

Why does God deserve any of the credit then for any of the good that may arise from tragedy if he just sits back and watches as tragedy unfolds?
Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 Buckhannah
The biggest difference between you and God is one of them has a far bigger view in mind. Can you stop every rape from happening? Or does such a traumatic event drives the person to help others who suffered the same thing? Terrible things happen, but how you deal with it is what separates the great.hiphops_savior
So your god lets a woman be raped so that she can help counsel other women he allowed to be raped?
It's interesting that for someone who claims to be atheist, your moral compass shows a very Christian one.hiphops_savior
Most atheists seem to lead a more Christ-like life in practice than most self professed "Christians", so it's not that shocking. But wanting to stop bad things from happening to people is not a Christian thing, it's a decent human being thing. wis3boi is morally superior to your god.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333 hiphops_savior
[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]The biggest difference between you and God is one of them has a far bigger view in mind. Can you stop every rape from happening? Or does such a traumatic event drives the person to help others who suffered the same thing? Terrible things happen, but how you deal with it is what separates the great.Buckhannah
So your god lets a woman be raped so that she can help counsel other women he allowed to be raped? .

Way to take it out of context and distort it. Who are we as finite beings get to judge an infinite being? The smartest human is nothing more than the smartest termite to God. As for whether God would allow a woman to be raped or bad things to happen, it's never a pleasant thing to go through. I would wish it on no one, but as imperfect beings of an imperfect society, this happens far too often. The good news is that sometimes, these events would drive the victim to have a calling by God to help others and to bring glory. You cannot stop the crime itself, it happens far too often in a society that's far too fragile. God offers something much better, a chance to heal and to be stronger from it, so that resentment and bitterness would not take hold.
FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334 FuggaJ
Member since 2012 • 318 Posts
[QUOTE="Buckhannah"][QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]The biggest difference between you and God is one of them has a far bigger view in mind. Can you stop every rape from happening? Or does such a traumatic event drives the person to help others who suffered the same thing? Terrible things happen, but how you deal with it is what separates the great.hiphops_savior
So your god lets a woman be raped so that she can help counsel other women he allowed to be raped? .

Way to take it out of context and distort it. Who are we as finite beings get to judge an infinite being? The smartest human is nothing more than the smartest termite to God. As for whether God would allow a woman to be raped or bad things to happen, it's never a pleasant thing to go through. I would wish it on no one, but as imperfect beings of an imperfect society, this happens far too often. The good news is that sometimes, these events would drive the victim to have a calling by God to help others and to bring glory. You cannot stop the crime itself, it happens far too often in a society that's far too fragile. God offers something much better, a chance to heal and to be stronger from it, so that resentment and bitterness would not take hold.

Or god could just not let that bad stuff happen. You know, because he's god. But from what I can gather he enjoys creating imperfect beings to watch suffer.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] The more religious you are the more likely you are going to be homophobic, and the less religious you are the less likely you are going to be homophobic. That's a correlation that's been substantiated through polling. Moreover, no other institution promotes a homophobic culture to the degree that certain religions do. Sure, someone can be homophobic without being religious, but religion has normalized that homophobia to the point where holding anti-gay sentiments is socially acceptable (at least historically, as society has become more secular it's been harder for these people to express their actual views on the subject in mixed company), regardless of the specific religious views (or lack thereof) of any given homophobe.

You do realize that correlation doesn't equal causation, don't you? That's the question: are people homophobic because they're religious, or do they merely appeal to religion because they're already homophobic? And like I said, when you factor in how little most of these people really give a $*** about their own religions, it makes me suspect the latter.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

My morals come from christianity? :lol: Wow, good one

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

[QUOTE="Buckhannah"][QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]The biggest difference between you and God is one of them has a far bigger view in mind. Can you stop every rape from happening? Or does such a traumatic event drives the person to help others who suffered the same thing? Terrible things happen, but how you deal with it is what separates the great.hiphops_savior

So in other words he sits there and does nothing while you praise him for allowing people to suffer on the off chance the victim might help others? What a joke. There's no way you can actually believe what you are saying.... You're making religious peopelk look foolish right now. Just admit that either God doesn't want to help or can't help and be done with it.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338 wis3boi

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"][QUOTE="Buckhannah"] So your god lets a woman be raped so that she can help counsel other women he allowed to be raped? .Toxic-Seahorse

So in other words he sits there and does nothing while you praise him for allowing people to suffer on the off chance the victim might help others? What a joke. There's no way you can actually believe what you are saying.... You're making religious peopelk look foolish right now. Just admit that either God doesn't want to help or can't help and be done with it.

I don't think most christians take a long hard look at the actual problem this entire beleif system presents

Mrmedia01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339 Mrmedia01
Member since 2007 • 1917 Posts

I Beleive in GOD, just not religion.

I love my life, try to be a good person, because I think thats what a GOD would want from something he/she/it has created. Just like we want are children to be great people, I think a GOD wants the same.

Most everything had to be created by a creator.

The only one that could have done and started all this would be a GOD of some kind.

Its FACT no denying that, Pure science, cant go far enough to explain who created the seed of this universe. Someone did.... Who? GOD DID MOFOS 100%, a higher power did.

You don't believe in the Bible or Religion thats fine, but we had to have some sort of Creator to plant the seed to the start of this.

SO I WIN. I BELEIVE IN BOTH GOD AND EVOLUTION.

I believe in Theistic evolution

FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340 FuggaJ
Member since 2012 • 318 Posts

I Beleive in GOD, just not religion.

I love my life, try to be a good person, because I think thats what a GOD would want from something he/she/it has created. Just like we want are children to be great people, I think a GOD wants the same.

The only one that could have done and started all this would be a GOD of some kind.

Its FACT no denying that, Pure science, cant go far enough to explain who created the seed of this universe. Someone did.... Who? GOD DID MOFOS.

You don't believe in the Bible or Religion thats fine, but we had to have some sort of Creator to plant the seed to the start of this.

SO I WIN. I BELEIVE IN BOTH GOD AND EVOLUTION.

Mrmedia01
Who created the creator then? That's just a non-answer, it doesn't actually solve anything.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] The more religious you are the more likely you are going to be homophobic, and the less religious you are the less likely you are going to be homophobic. That's a correlation that's been substantiated through polling. Moreover, no other institution promotes a homophobic culture to the degree that certain religions do. Sure, someone can be homophobic without being religious, but religion has normalized that homophobia to the point where holding anti-gay sentiments is socially acceptable (at least historically, as society has become more secular it's been harder for these people to express their actual views on the subject in mixed company), regardless of the specific religious views (or lack thereof) of any given homophobe.

You do realize that correlation doesn't equal causation, don't you? That's the question: are people homophobic because they're religious, or do they merely appeal to religion because they're already homophobic? And like I said, when you factor in how little most of these people really give a $*** about their own religions, it makes me suspect the latter.

I'm not saying that religion necessarily causes homophobia. Without religion people can still be homophobic, and there are plenty of religious people who aren't homophobic. What I'm claiming is that religion creates an environment in which homophobia is tolerated, and because of that even homophobes who are not religious benefit from that homophobic culture promoted by religion because it makes their bigoted views socially acceptable, regardless of what the specific religious views of a given homophobe may be.
dissonantblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#342 dissonantblack
Member since 2005 • 34009 Posts

Excuses. Atheism doesn't teach you to do good the way that religion does. So i think people turn to it as an excuse to live life without moral restrictions. 

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] I'm not saying that religion necessarily causes homophobia. Without religion people can still be homophobic, and there are plenty of religious people who aren't homophobic. What I'm claiming is that religion creates an environment in which homophobia is tolerated, and because of that even homophobes who are not religious benefit from that homophobic culture promoted by religion because it makes their bigoted views socially acceptable, regardless of what the specific religious views of a given homophobe may be.

Well, that's the thing. It's more about society than it is about religion. Hell, blaming religion is exactly the sort of thing that contributes to this, because it turns people from assbags into victims and makes it seem like their intolerance isn't really their fault. It's like, imagine two people who are anti-gay. One of them says, "sorry, but that's just what my religious beliefs are", and the other guy says, "it's not part of my religion or anything, I just don't like gays. The hell with them." One's just as much a P.O.S. as the other, but they don't get treated the same. One guy is justifiably called an ass, while the other guy gets more of a pass even from his opponents. By citing his religion as a reason for his homophobia, he just shifted blame away from himself. Now instead of just calling the guy out for the piece of $*** that he is, people start talking about how messed up the religion is, and the guy gets away relatively unscathed (at least compared to the guy who just flat out says that he hates gays). I'm not saying that religion doesn't have any effect whatsoever, but I think some people here are greatly underestimating the extent to which people use the religion card in order to justify acting like total pricks.
MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#344 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
It makes more sense than believing in something that can't be proven to be real.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#345 worlock77

Excuses. Atheism doesn't teach you to do good the way that religion does. So i think people turn to it as an excuse to live life without moral restrictions. 

dissonantblack

You might think that, but you'd be wrong. And frankly, some of the most amoral behavior I've ever witnessed has come from Christians.

*NB4 "no true Scotsman"*

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346 worlock77

Its FACT no denying that, Pure science, cant go far enough to explain who created the seed of this universe. Someone did.... Who? GOD DID MOFOS 100%, a higher power did.

You don't believe in the Bible or Religion thats fine, but we had to have some sort of Creator to plant the seed to the start of this.Mrmedia01

So what created God?

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] I'm not saying that religion necessarily causes homophobia. Without religion people can still be homophobic, and there are plenty of religious people who aren't homophobic. What I'm claiming is that religion creates an environment in which homophobia is tolerated, and because of that even homophobes who are not religious benefit from that homophobic culture promoted by religion because it makes their bigoted views socially acceptable, regardless of what the specific religious views of a given homophobe may be.

Well, that's the thing. It's more about society than it is about religion. Hell, blaming religion is exactly the sort of thing that contributes to this, because it turns people from assbags into victims and makes it seem like their intolerance isn't really their fault. It's like, imagine two people who are anti-gay. One of them says, "sorry, but that's just what my religious beliefs are", and the other guy says, "it's not part of my religion or anything, I just don't like gays. The hell with them." One's just as much a P.O.S. as the other, but they don't get treated the same. One guy is justifiably called an ass, while the other guy gets more of a pass even from his opponents. By citing his religion as a reason for his homophobia, he just shifted blame away from himself. Now instead of just calling the guy out for the piece of $*** that he is, people start talking about how messed up the religion is, and the guy gets away relatively unscathed (at least compared to the guy who just flat out says that he hates gays).

To say it's more about society than religion is a distinction without a difference. And what benefit is there to demonizing individuals? I don't hate homophobes, I just hate homophobia. Homophobes of all stripes are victims - they're victims of a culture that says at it's best it's OK to hate gay people and at it's worst that you should hate gay people, and at least for today religion is the primary promoter of that culture - maybe that will change tomorrow but we're stuck in the present. Bigoted views are a virus, without figuratively tearing down the social institutions that promote that culture and distribute that virus throughout the public, blaming individuals for widely held beliefs doesn't accomplish anything. There's a reason why these views are widespread, if you cut off the head the body will die.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"] I'm not saying that religion doesn't have any effect whatsoever, but I think some people here are greatly underestimating the extent to which people use the religion card in order to justify acting like total pricks.

That's exactly the point I'm making, I'm just taking it one step further. If you got rid of the religion card acting like a total prick becomes a lot harder to justify.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349 wis3boi

dissonantblack

Must be why the least religious countries on earth are in shambles...Oh wait, it's the opposite.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350 MrGeezer
To say it's more about society than religion is a distinction without a difference. And what benefit is there to demonizing individuals? I don't hate homophobes, I just hate homophobia. Homophobes of all stripes are victims - they're victims of a culture that says at it's best it's OK to hate gay people and at it's worst that you should hate gay people, and at least for today religion is the primary promoter of that culture - maybe that will change tomorrow but we're stuck in the present. Bigoted views are a virus, without figuratively tearing down the social institutions that promote that culture and distribute that virus throughout the public, blaming individuals for widely held beliefs doesn't accomplish anything. There's a reason why these views are widespread, if you cut off the head the body will die. -Sun_Tzu-
Apparently you don't get it at all. Someone earlier said something like, "atheists are more likely to have read the Bible than Christians, that's precisely why they're atheists." That's confirmation that there's nothing dangerous about Christianity. The ideas and concepts present aren't particularly infectious or corrupting, or else it wouldn't be turning so many people away from christianity. Anything dangerous about it is entirely social. It's entirely about people interacting with other people in order to achieve some desired result. Getting rid of religion doesn't amount to "cutting off the head", because the religion is being used as just a tool. Religion or no religion, people's agenda remains the same. They're still working towards the same goal, whether that's marginalizing a certain group, putting themselves in a position of power, or simply duping people out of their money. Removing religion simply removes one of the potential tools they have at their disposal, they can still resort to such classics as nationalism or politics. At best, all you could argue is that religion is maybe the best tool for manipulating people, but "cutting off the head" is a totally incorrect statement. It's more like taking away someone's gun and then just hoping he can't find another one. If you want to "cut off the head", then you find who is promoting homophobia, identify who they're selling the idea to, and identifying what they intend to get out of it. You demonize individuals because individuals are the ones propagating racism and homophobia for personal gain. Homophobia doesn't promote itself, it needs a human agent.