Why is Community College frowned apon?

• 179 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts

Seriously, why the hell is it? I'm sick and tired of it being called the retarted school or the "woops I should have paid attention in highschool" school.

I'm going to be a Senior next year and for sure know I won't get accepted into a University(that I want). So iv'e decided to go enroll in a CC this summer and right after my senior year to get some credits(if thats how it works).

Iv'e heard that it's much easier and cheaper to transfer from a CC to a University than going straight to a University from Highschool.(My cousin got out of a CC in 8~12 months and got into a university)

Correct me im wrong here....:|

Quick college question to, is going to a state college and transfering to a University easier or hard than doing that with a CC.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
I don't see why some people frown upon it. I almost went there to get my two-year degree, and then transfer over to a University. Plenty of my friends are doing it. Hell, a good chunk of my family did it. :?
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

Why wouldn't you get accepted into regular uni/college?

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MrLions

SgtKevali
Sophomore and Junioritis :(
auron_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 auron_16
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts
It's easier and cheaper to transfer. Also, it won't show up on your diploma that you were in a CC. And there's nothing wrong with one.
TM_Darkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TM_Darkside
Member since 2007 • 3993 Posts

I go to a JUCO right now because it's the only place I can go for free. I don't see why you should be ashamed of it or anything. There are smaller classes and an easier environment to get help from a teacher.

I got inducted into Phi Theta Kappa tonight, which is a two-year college honors society. I don't mind attending a JUCO, especially since I don't have to pay.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

It depends on your career.

When I ran my IT business, obviously I met a lot of other IT people. The people who went to university for however many years weren't much better off than someone who had just gone and got his MCSE, and in fact many were worse off because of student loans.

PLANNING out your career is more important than where you went to school. Figure out what you want to do and what you need to do it, and go get JUST THAT. Even lawyers can pass the BAR exam without college.

However, if you plan to be a doctor or something, there's no way around college.

vidplayer8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 vidplayer8
Member since 2006 • 18549 Posts

Where I come from it definitely wasn't frowned upon, so I can't quite relate. Although whoever called it retarded probably is.

As for transferring, it really depends on how well you did. It might be better to transfer from a state school, but probably to a very small extent. But you should definitely at least apply, I don't see why you wouldn't try.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts
It's easier and cheaper to transfer. Also, it won't show up on your diploma that you were in a CC. And there's nothing wrong with one.auron_16
This holds true, IMO. It's really a smart decision unless you get scholarships to a 4-year university that bring the cost down.
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

MrLions

That's why people look down on it. It's often for people who slack off. Not always, but sometimes.

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrLions

[QUOTE="MrLions"][QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

SgtKevali

That's why people look down on it. It's often for people who slack off. Not always, but sometimes.

But I never failed a class so it's all good :P
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
Because you can use the word apon and still graduate from community college.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Popularity, cash, and ignorance. It's going to be a long, hard life if you let someone else's idea of what success is dictate your own success.
majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts
The main advantage of going to college for me is learning how to live on my own. Going one year to community isn't a bad option at all as long as you stay focused. I know too many people who got stuck in CC hell and ended up working fairly menial jobs.
nelson415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 nelson415
Member since 2007 • 1807 Posts

It's going to be a long, hard life if you let someone else's idea of what success is dictate your own success.guynamedbilly

Wow, well said

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
Community college in Ontario, at least, isn't as much a "lower tier" of education as it is completely separate from universities. At CCs here you get hands-on training for things you can't do at university, and you aren't hindered by any means. In some cases it may actually be better than a 4-year university education. But that's just Ontario.
SunofVich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SunofVich
Member since 2004 • 4665 Posts

I don't understand either.

Its a helluva lot cheaper then going all 4 years in some big university. I was real close to an associates degree from Clackamas Community College. And then they went and dropped my degree program.

Some day i hope I can transfer.

Flame_Blade88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Flame_Blade88
Member since 2005 • 39348 Posts
It's what I did and I know a lot of people who went to a community college before transferring to a university.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Frowned? Everyone in my family and around it has gone and recommended CC, saying it's cheaper and the classes are smaller, my uncle and aunt graduated from USC, our family friend went to Berkeley and i go to a school with some of the highest transfers to UCLA :?
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

Because they don't have the "big name" reputation, and because there's a higher probability that you will receive a less-than-exemplary education than at an established institution. I agree that it's fairly ridiculous, since community colleges can very often furnish one with an excellent education, especially when it comes to specialized fields, but the contempt IS understandable. People just tend to go with what they know, and it takes a long time for an academic institution to build up a reputation.

kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kidsmelly
Member since 2009 • 5692 Posts

I'm planing on going back to a community college because its alot cheaper and I will get the same credit when I transfer back to my university. I don't know who frowns upon it. If you can get the same transferable credit for it, its a hell of alot cheaper.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
I don't think it is frowned upon so much as looked upon as not quite as high quality of an education as other higher end universities. Going to one and completing a degree is nothing to sneer at though. There are still far more people in the U.S. that don't complete a college degree than do. It's kind of like the feeling I got while playing Persona 3 and Persona 4. The latter game was better overall, but the former was still a lot of fun and quite good.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I've never "frowned upon" it. It's a good alternative for those who don't want to go to an actual university. You learn the same things I think, so you may as well do whatever's best for you.
Avatar image for deactivated-5bb421ab1b937
deactivated-5bb421ab1b937

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#25 deactivated-5bb421ab1b937
Member since 2010 • 354 Posts

Going to some big fancy college won't make you any better at Modern Warfare 2.

Remember that.

_CaptainHappy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 _CaptainHappy_
Member since 2009 • 827 Posts

Because if you went there then you messed up somehow in your grades. Thats not something to be proud of.

TheNewEraIcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 TheNewEraIcon
Member since 2009 • 12196 Posts

THIS is exactly what I would like to know, my brother has been giving all kinds of lecture about how commnunity college isn't good, since that where I'm going in the fall. I'd rather start slower anyways, that way I can get a feel for it and eventually transfer into an actual college

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I went to one for my first two years of college before transferring to a university. It got most of my gen eds out of the way and I picked up an associates degree for my troubles. Oh, and it was free via scholarship money since you can take an entire semester at a CC for the cost of one class at a university.

GTALoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GTALoco
Member since 2004 • 2945 Posts

I'm at CC right now, and I just got accepted to UCLA with a Regents scholarship. CC is a great way to go if you want to save some money and it can definitely help you get into the school of your choice depending on where you want to go. That said, I do kind of wish I had had the freshman and sophomore experience at UC, and there are a few other things that I feel like I missed out on, but it's definitely nothing to feel ashamed of or anything. My advice though, if you do go to a CC, try to pick out a major as soon as possible and take the courses you need to be ready for transfer. I settled on a major pretty late, and it's made things a bit difficult.

GTALoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GTALoco

Because if you went there then you messed up somehow in your grades. Thats not something to be proud of.

_CaptainHappy_

I graduated high school with a 4.65 :/

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Seriously, why the hell is it? I'm sick and tired of it being called the retarted school or the "woops I should have paid attention in highschool" school.

I'm going to be a Senior next year and for sure know I won't get accepted into a University(that I want). So iv'e decided to go enroll in a CC this summer and right after my senior year to get some credits(if thats how it works).

Iv'e heard that it's much easier and cheaper to transfer from a CC to a University than going straight to a University from Highschool.(My cousin got out of a CC in 8~12 months and got into a university)

Correct me im wrong here....:|

Quick college question to, is going to a state college and transfering to a University easier or hard than doing that with a CC.

MrLions

CC is fine, as long as you transfer to a university to finish your studies.

But as Chris Rock said, "it's called Community College because ANYONE in the community can get in."

And as I've said before, there is absolutely no inherent value in a high school or a college education. These days, a high school diploma doesn't mean jack ****, since ANYONE can get one. A bachelor's degree from a decent university is only slightly less worthless, since most people have no problem doing that **** either.

With community colleges, you're getting an education which (even if not subpar) is seen as being subpar because it's so easy for people to get degrees from community colleges.

This probably shouldn't matter to you. Check to make sure, but the credits earned at your community college ought to transfer over to a university later. You can finish your education at a university later. But people look down on community colleges because they are about as far as you can get from the elite schools. They're full of people who are poor or unlikely to succeed in their studies, because they make it easy for that to be the case by making it easy for anyone to get admitted.

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
It shows that you're not in the same league as the guys who were able to go straight to university. Everyone gets placed on a relative scale, and if you went to CC then you're at the bottom. The college itself might be just fine.
njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts

where the hell are you were they frown upon it? Its smarter then going to a university and paying almost triple what you would pay at a community college. The only time its even safe to go to a 4 year university right after high school is when you get a scholarship. Or if your mommy and daddy are paying for it.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Because they don't have the "big name" reputation, and because there's a higher probability that you will receive a less-than-exemplary education than at an established institution. I agree that it's fairly ridiculous, since community colleges can very often furnish one with an excellent education, especially when it comes to specialized fields, but the contempt IS understandable. People just tend to go with what they know, and it takes a long time for an academic institution to build up a reputation.

pianist

It's about the scarcity of valuables, really.

Community college is easier to get into, therefore it's seen as (more or less, to varying degrees) worthless (by the people who don't have to go to community college).

Is the education at community colleges "less-than-exemplary"? I wouldn't know. But if that's the case, it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Certainly not any more than finding out that high schools in poor primarily black districts offer a less-exemplary education than high schools in wealthy predominantly white districts.

Yeah, community colleges are absolutely frowned upon, because they're seen as educations for people who were too stupid and poor to get a "real" education. But then again, so what? As long as going to a community college helps you to finish your education at a university (while saving you lots of money), then what's the problem?

GTALoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GTALoco

It shows that you're not in the same league as the guys who were able to go straight to university. Everyone gets placed on a relative scale, and if you went to CC then you're at the bottom. The college itself might be just fine.F1_2004

From what I can tell, that's not true at all. If you get good grades at CC and then your four year university, you don't have any less of a chance of getting into graduate/law/med/etc. school than someone who went right out of high school. From that point it doesn't matter that you went to CC in terms of getting a job because all they'll care about is that higher degree.

Avatar image for ChaelaMcchubble
ChaelaMcchubble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ChaelaMcchubble
Member since 2009 • 455 Posts

I am going to CC right now trying to get into one of the best nursing programs in Oregon. Only 16 people are admitted out of 300 applicants not everyone can get in. The CC here is really good

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

One can acquire an excellent education from a community college. But as Geezer mentioned, anyone can get in. That means ANYONE. I've spent the past two years at a community college, and there are quite a few people that certainly didn't graduate from high school, and it shows. That said, it can be a good financial move.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
because its "community"
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#39 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
You don't have to be smart to go to community college and there's no prestige to the name
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]It shows that you're not in the same league as the guys who were able to go straight to university. Everyone gets placed on a relative scale, and if you went to CC then you're at the bottom. The college itself might be just fine.GTALoco

From what I can tell, that's not true at all. If you get good grades at CC and then your four year university, you don't have any less of a chance of getting into graduate/law/med/etc. school than someone who went right out of high school. From that point it doesn't matter that you went to CC in terms of getting a job because all they'll care about is that higher degree.

If you weren't smart enough in high school to go anywhere better than community college (which is the bottom of the barrel), then that says something about your intelligence and commitment, at least during highschool. That's all there is to it.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

My friend with a 3.8 GPA is doing the community college thing just on the principle of

A) You save money.

B) The core/required classes for the first two years will be much smaller than any university. You get more 1:1 time with your teacher (which in many universities is possible by appointment only).

C) There's no reason to go to a University yet unless you're jump-starting yourself into a career plan already (like Engineering).

There's no shame in going to community college. Most students these days go to a University for all the wrong reasons anyways.

GTALoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GTALoco

[QUOTE="GTALoco"]

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]It shows that you're not in the same league as the guys who were able to go straight to university. Everyone gets placed on a relative scale, and if you went to CC then you're at the bottom. The college itself might be just fine.F1_2004

If you weren't smart enough in high school to go anywhere better than community college (which is the bottom of the barrel), then that says something about your intelligence and commitment, at least during highschool. That's all there is to it.

There are other reasons to go to CC. Like I said, I graduated highschool with a 4.65, went to CC, got into UCLA, will probably get into Berkeley (finding out tomorrow, although I already committed to UCLA). When you transfer to a UC, they don't even look at your highschool grades. So, yeah, as long as you have the grades, it doesn't matter.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]It shows that you're not in the same league as the guys who were able to go straight to university. Everyone gets placed on a relative scale, and if you went to CC then you're at the bottom. The college itself might be just fine.GTALoco

It's worse noting that you can even slip your way into more competitive Universities (like the University of Washington) with a B average in CC, while the average accepted high school student has a GPA of 3.85 or something like that (meaning all As, rarely any Bs).
wrfade82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 wrfade82
Member since 2006 • 1565 Posts
Unless you know exactly what you want to major in (e.g. I knew that I wanted to be an engineer so I immediately went to an engineering school after high school), it's a smarter alternative. If you don't know what you want to major in (or even if you do), you can at least get your inevitable gen ed and elective courses out of the way for a much cheaper cost than a uni, and than easily transfer the following year. Also, the majority of college freshman at unis treat their first years like an extension to high school but with more free time and less parental control. They abuse these new liberties and many end up blowing off their first year. By staying at a community college you are saving money (on tuition and living at home), preparing yourself by taking inevitably required gen ed/ elective courses, and are more likely to keep that nice side job you have. Remember this: your in school because you want to be there and you are paying to be there. As long as you're taking advantage of what your community college is offering you, then you are more than likely more successful than 90% of your classmates that are off at a uni.
MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MrLions

C) There's no reason to go to a University yet unless you're jump-starting yourself into a career plan already (like Engineering).

KHAndAnime

*Whistles* :roll: .....Guess im not jump starting is that a bad thing? :cry:

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts
I am doing the same thing. I'm taking my GE in CC and then transferring to a UC (hopefully). And I'll save a ton of money in the process! :)
GTALoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GTALoco

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

MrLions

*Whistles* :roll: .....Guess im not jump starting is that a bad thing? :cry:

I don't really see what that has to do anything. If your CC offers the major preparation courses that you need to take for the major, then it's not really going to be a setback at all. What's you'll have to take is going to depend on which school you go to, but I assume there will be some calculus/physics sequences in there, but if you're motivated you could even finish at CC early. I've heard of a few engineering majors who transferred in one year rather than two. That might not be something that would be easy to do at a four year. That said, engineering majors are usually really competitive, so make sure you keep your GPA up.

PerfectCircles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PerfectCircles
Member since 2009 • 2359 Posts
I went to community college for two years in high school and then went to a University with Junior standing. I think community colleges are great, I got all the crappy filler classes done and now that I'm at the University I only pay for the classes actually related to my field of study.
PerfectCircles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PerfectCircles
Member since 2009 • 2359 Posts
[QUOTE="GTALoco"]

[QUOTE="F1_2004"]It shows that you're not in the same league as the guys who were able to go straight to university. Everyone gets placed on a relative scale, and if you went to CC then you're at the bottom. The college itself might be just fine.F1_2004

Or it shows your not stupid enough to pay 3x as much for classes not related to your intended major.