Why I'm not a Christian anymore. What about you?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

I'm not sure why you think these theories are scientific; they have nothing to do with science and have no basis in any scientific method. They are brought up in debates like this solely to say "Well, it could have been this way, therefore not God."

BumFluff122

It is an argument against those that believe without a doubt that God created the universe in which we live. They aren't willing to look at the alternatives because they believe that there are none. I've stated before that, more than likely, the birth of the universe will forever remain unknown. The only way we could truly discover what happened in the moments before the expansion of that particle is to go outside of that expanding space. I am an agnostic atheist but I am not going to completely rule out that a super powerful beign created that in which we live but the majority of people like me need proof. The only evidence thus far points towards a natural existence of the universe.

Okay, but once these alternatives are presented only one of two things can happen:

1. They still believe God did it,

2. They believe the universe did it.

More likely than not, it's gonna be 1., and both are equally valid in terms of science.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#152 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

They are based on science, and moreover in observable clues.

LJS9502_basic

I'm not sure why so many worship science as the answer to everything. Science is but the understanding humans have at any given time with the limited knowledge humans have of a specific thing. If everything we believed were absolutely wrong then the entirety of science is wrong as well.

(RED) No. No... No. no. nO. How many ways must I write it?

And why does everyone think that science somehow tries to battle religion or generally god as a notion? If they didnt then I would have no question to the likes of "why do you worship science as the answer to everything" asked of me.

I think my cake analogy was somewhat depicting what my opinion is.

The eggs and the other ingredients in a god theory may of course be in the fridge, but we cant know for sure.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#153 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

I'm not sure why you think these theories are scientific; they have nothing to do with science and have no basis in any scientific method. They are brought up in debates like this solely to say "Well, it could have been this way, therefore not God."

Theokhoth

It is an argument against those that believe without a doubt that God created the universe in which we live. They aren't willing to look at the alternatives because they believe that there are none. I've stated before that, more than likely, the birth of the universe will forever remain unknown. The only way we could truly discover what happened in the moments before the expansion of that particle is to go outside of that expanding space. I am an agnostic atheist but I am not going to completely rule out that a super powerful beign created that in which we live but the majority of people like me need proof. The only evidence thus far points towards a natural existence of the universe.

Okay, but once these alternatives are presented only one of two things can happen:

More likely than not, it's gonna be 1., and both are equally valid in terms of science.

Why is it going to be 1?

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Strong agnosticism.

Teenaged

Yeah that describes me at the moment.

But as I said its not a religion and neither do I worship anyone. ;)

When people call things like atheism a religion, they typically refer to the faith aspect.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]It is an argument against those that believe without a doubt that God created the universe in which we live. They aren't willing to look at the alternatives because they believe that there are none. I've stated before that, more than likely, the birth of the universe will forever remain unknown. The only way we could truly discover what happened in the moments before the expansion of that particle is to go outside of that expanding space. I am an agnostic atheist but I am not going to completely rule out that a super powerful beign created that in which we live but the majority of people like me need proof. The only evidence thus far points towards a natural existence of the universe.

BumFluff122

Why is it going to be 1?

Because a person who believes in God isn't likely to just up and stop believing simply because an alternative was presented.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

BumFluff122

Alternatives? Can science...which remember is humans understanding of events...ever really say with certainty that a guiding force...ie God was not behind the creation? No. So science cannot argue against God. Thus it's not effective.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

I'm not sure why you think these theories are scientific; they have nothing to do with science and have no basis in any scientific method. They just seem "more natural." They are brought up in debates like this solely to say "Well, it could have been this way, therefore not God."

Theokhoth

They are based on science, and moreover in observable clues.

No they aren't. . .they have absolutely no evidence supporting them; there is no proof whatsoever that there is more than one universe, no proof that the universe is cyclic, etc. They have no basis in science; they are philosophical conjectures. The closest they come to being scientific is that they appear to be "natural" events.

(RED) I never said that because I never said they are proven. I said "clues" not evidence (I dont think they mean the same).

What? 0_o

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 BumFluff122

Because a person who believes in God isn't likely to just up and stop believing simply because an alternative was presented.

Theokhoth

Ahhh you're talking about their beliefs not reality. There I would have to agree with you. It is impossible to change the beliefs of people when they don't want to have their beliefs changed or when they don't want to question alternatives.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]They are based on science, and moreover in observable clues.

Teenaged

No they aren't. . .they have absolutely no evidence supporting them; there is no proof whatsoever that there is more than one universe, no proof that the universe is cyclic, etc. They have no basis in science; they are philosophical conjectures. The closest they come to being scientific is that they appear to be "natural" events.

(RED) I never said that because I never said they are proven. I said "clues" not evidence (I dont think they mean the same).

What? 0_o

Philosophy pertains to the beginning of existence as well.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Strong agnosticism.

Theokhoth

Yeah that describes me at the moment.

When people call things like atheism a religion, they typically refer to the faith aspect.

No that is invalid because we faith in many things. We have faith in people, we have faith in our loved ones, we have faith in love. Can one call love a religion (non-metaphorically). No.

Can someone call trusting someone a religion? No.

The fact that some notions revolve around issues of faith or that in their uncertainty they require faith, in no way does it render them a religion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

BumFluff122

Ahhh you're talking about their beliefs not reality. There I would have to agree with you. It is impossible to change the beliefs of people when they don't want to have their beliefs changed or when they don't want to question alternatives.

How do the alternatives disprove the beliefs?

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

BumFluff122

Or, maybe they'll question the alternatives and find them lacking.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#163 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Alternatives? Can science...which remember is humans understanding of events...ever really say with certainty that a guiding force...ie God was not behind the creation? No. So science cannot argue against God. Thus it's not effective.

I don't think there is a single way of effectively arguing a deity. You CAN, however, argue what some consider the deity's words, something like The Bible.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]Yeah that describes me at the moment.

Teenaged

No that is invalid because we faith in many things. We have faith in people, we have faith in our loved ones, we have faith in love. Can one call love a religion (non-metaphorically). No.

The fact that some notions revolve around issues of faith or that in their uncertainty they require faith, in no way does it render them a religion.

I'm not saying it's a religion.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 BumFluff122

LJS9502_basic

The existence of a supreme being that created reality is one of those alternatives. As is the possibilities of a cyclic universe or quite a few other things. Science wasn't made to disprove God. Science was formed to give man a better understanding of the world around him and how it works.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

What? 0_o

Philosophy pertains to the beginning of existence as well.

Oh then ok.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#167 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]Perhaps you need to visit more forum debates. Yes God is thought to have lived outside of spacetime. If he created both space and time how could he live within it? Space and time would already need to exist. Therefor he can't have created either.

BumFluff122

Well if you think of it that way, if the universe was made without a god, whatever way it was made it would need to be made outside of spacetime too. See both science and God require faith, its basically just picking your poison.

The Universe is currently outside of spacetime if current theories are thought to be correct. The Universe began expanding from a central point. Outside of the point there existed no space and no time. There is still an edge to the universe. Outside of that edge there exists no space and no time. If somethign can not exist outside of spacetime then a reasonable person woudl assume that outside our universe there exists another type of being. Personally I am of the belief that the Universe is infinite and there are multiple Big Bangs occurring forming multiple universes. Space could, of course, still be being stretched only the space we live in could be an infinitely small point within that space. The Big Bang theory also does not state that the universe came form nothing but that it began expanding from an infintely dense particle.

First of all you basically just proved what i said, the universe would need to be out of space time too, and secondly I never said anything about the big bang, but it sort of pertains to what i said. Where would that infinitely dense particle come from.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 enterawesome
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]Yeah that describes me at the moment.

Well, if you LIVE by love and think its the key to everything and love is a deity, and you have a follower who also believes, then yes, it is a religion.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

You did refer to it as a religion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 LJS9502_basic

I don't think there is a single way of effectively arguing a deity. You CAN, however, argue what some consider the deity's words, something like The Bible.enterawesome
That's rather vague. But first you have to understand how to read the Bible. Not just read it.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

LJS9502_basic

How do the alternatives disprove the beliefs?

They don't disprove the beliefs. I never said they did,. However to form an unwavering beliefs based on partial data, or even non existent data, is completely insane.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

enterawesome

Well, if you LIVE by love and think its the key to everything and love is a deity, and you have a follower who also believes, then yes, it is a religion.

It is a religion because you have included the notion of a diety.

I never connected the abstract notions I mentioned with a diety. Therefore they are not a religion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

BumFluff122

The existence of a supreme being that created reality is one of those alternatives. As is the possibilities of a cyclic universe or quite a few other things. Science wasn't made to disprove God. Science was formed to give man a better understanding of the world around him and how it works.

Science is not mystical. It's merely a term given by humans for the study of the universe. Which I've said several times in this thread I don't a reformation from you on what I said. And with that said.....that means the alternatives are not in a position to disprove the core belief.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 enterawesome

[QUOTE="enterawesome"]I don't think there is a single way of effectively arguing a deity. You CAN, however, argue what some consider the deity's words, something like The Bible.LJS9502_basic

That's rather vague. But first you have to understand how to read the Bible. Not just read it.

Well, I thought that would have been obvious. You can't debate against something of which you have no useful knowledge of.
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 BumFluff122

Or, maybe they'll question the alternatives and find them lacking.

Theokhoth

Possibly. But as stated above anything that is decided unwaveringly from non-existent data (That non-existent data being what formed the universe in the first place) shouldn't have been decided at all because it is blind.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]No that is invalid because we faith in many things. We have faith in people, we have faith in our loved ones, we have faith in love. Can one call love a religion (non-metaphorically). No.

Teenaged

You did refer to it as a religion.

No, I said why certain people refer to it as a religion.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

Alternatives? Can science...which remember is humans understanding of events...ever really say with certainty that a guiding force...ie God was not behind the creation? No. So science cannot argue against God. Thus it's not effective.LJS9502_basic

Then that's the end of the discussion, because by stating that, scientists can just as well be talking to a wall. Because according to that logic, no matter what proof science brings you can always say they're wrong.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 LJS9502_basic

They don't disprove the beliefs. I never said they did,. However to form an unwavering beliefs based on partial data, or even non existent data, is completely insane.

BumFluff122

Well you did refer to the alternatives as a means to rid the beliefs.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Alternatives? Can science...which remember is humans understanding of events...ever really say with certainty that a guiding force...ie God was not behind the creation? No. So science cannot argue against God. Thus it's not effective.TheFlush

Then that's the end of the discussion, because by stating that, scientists can just as well be talking to a wall. Because according to that logic, no matter what proof science brings you can always say they're wrong.

Science is man's understanding. Period. Nothing more nothing less. And thus far science cannot come close to disproving the central tenet to religions.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 enterawesome
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="enterawesome"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]No that is invalid because we faith in many things. We have faith in people, we have faith in our loved ones, we have faith in love. Can one call love a religion (non-metaphorically). No.

I never connected the abstract notions I mentioned with a diety. Therefore they are not a religion.

I was simply pointing out it COULD be. Why? I have no idea, just trying to fit in with the argument at hand over religion.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Teenaged

I agree that God can't be fully perceived for the reasons you gave, but I do not agree that God cannot be perceived period for that reason.

The only religion that gets validity from my statement is the one that worships the guys that omnisciently say we can't know the answer.

Theokhoth

I mean here, Theo.

KcurtorMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 KcurtorMas
Member since 2009 • 1484 Posts

I was born into Christian beliefs, and went to church with my family until I was around 10 years old or so. I basically came to the same realization, that I was believing all of this because I was raised to believe it, and not because I actually feel in my heart that it is the truth, which I do not. I also took note on the fact that I was believing out of fear of going to Hell, which again, is not a legitimate reason to believe in such things.

It also comes to mind, that the majority of the World does NOT believe in Christianity, and I think to myself, thats a lot of people burning in hell for eternity,just because they were born in a different part of the World which holds a different culture and belief. Also, I guess if I were to really think about it, I sin a good ammount, and feel no need to seek forgiveness for it. Im living life how I see fit, and I dont see the point in limiting my experience here on Earth just for the POSSIBILITY of a greater reward after the fact. Life is now. So thats why im not a Christian anymore.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 BumFluff122

First of all you basically just proved what i said, the universe would need to be out of space time too, and secondly I never said anything about the big bang, but it sort of pertains to what i said. Where would that infinitely dense particle come from.

magnax1

I explained this. The universe could be cyclic (There are many different theories for a cyclic universe) or it may have come about as a result of vacuum fluctuations.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

BumFluff122

I explained this. The universe could be cyclic (There are many different theories for a cyclic universe) or it may have come about as a result of vacuum fluctuations.

Yes...which basically means "science" doesn't know.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

I agree that God can't be fully perceived for the reasons you gave, but I do not agree that God cannot be perceived period for that reason.

The only religion that gets validity from my statement is the one that worships the guys that omnisciently say we can't know the answer.

Teenaged

I mean here, Theo.

I was referring to my earlier statement that the guys saying nobody can know the answer are deities. It was more or less a joke.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="enterawesome"]Well, if you LIVE by love and think its the key to everything and love is a deity, and you have a follower who also believes, then yes, it is a religion.enterawesome

I was simply pointing out it COULD be. Why? I have no idea, just trying to fit in with the argument at hand over religion.

My point was only that notions that require faith are not religions. A religion to my knowledge has to be connected with a diety.

Its just that your point (not invalid), was irrelevant to mine.

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
I'm a Catholic, albeit a fairly liberal one. I go by the Bible and its teachings, and try to base as much of my life off of it as possible; however I still try to have fun along the way :P Also, I study other religions as well and often meditate, albeit I could never be a Hindu or a Buddhist because of the diet >.>
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

I mean here, Theo.

I was referring to my earlier statement that the guys saying nobody can know the answer are deities. It was more or less a joke.

Ah... then why didnt you say so the first time I disagreed with you? >_>

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

BumFluff122

And then i said there is basically no proof for this and it requires just as much belief as a god does and is just as logical.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 TheFlush

I was born into Christian beliefs, and went to church with my family until I was around 10 years old or so. I basically came to the same realization, that I was believing all of this because I was raised to believe it, and not because I actually feel in my heart that it is the truth, which I do not. I also took note on the fact that I was believing out of fear of going to Hell, which again, is not a legitimate reason to believe in such things.

It also comes to mind, that the majority of the World does NOT believe in Christianity, and I think to myself, thats a lot of people burning in hell for eternity,just because they were born in a different part of the World which holds a different culture and belief. Also, I guess if I were to really think about it, I sin a good ammount, and feel no need to seek forgiveness for it. Im living life how I see fit, and I dont see the point in limiting my experience here on Earth just for the POSSIBILITY of a greater reward after the fact. Life is now. So thats why im not a Christian anymore.

KcurtorMas

That's exactly how I see it. And the more I see of religion (doesn't matter which one) the more I'm convinced that they're all wrong and there's just nothing.

Ezgam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Ezgam3r
Member since 2006 • 2308 Posts
And when it comes to slavery we shouldn't?TheFlush
If you're talking about what we consider slavery today as what their talking about, sure. But back in antiquity, slavery was more akin to domestic servitude and were treated as such, except they weren't getting paid. They were feed, clothed, taken care of, protected and lived under the same roof as their masters. They were also able to take part in business, borrow money, and buy their freedom. The "slavery" in the OT/Hebrew Bible was also voluntary. They were taken in and treated like hired workers or temporary residents for 6 years when they will be let free unless they decide themselves that they wish to stay.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 LJS9502_basic

That's exactly how I see it. And the more I see of religion (doesn't matter which one) the more I'm convinced that they're all wrong and there's just nothing.

TheFlush

Interesting because when I read his post I felt he didn't understand Christianity.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 TheFlush

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

LJS9502_basic

Interesting because when I read his post I felt he didn't understand Christianity.

Maybe because Christianity is illogical :P

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 BumFluff122

Science is not mystical. It's merely a term given by humans for the study of the universe. Which I've said several times in this thread I don't a reformation from you on what I said. And with that said.....that means the alternatives are not in a position to disprove the core belief.

LJS9502_basic

The point I am making is that there are many beliefs as to the birth and existence of the universe. To place your belief unwaveringly in one, with absolutely no evidence, no matter what other data shows is insane. I haven't said anythign about disproving anything.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 enterawesome
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

[QUOTE="KcurtorMas"]

Yeah, thats the vibe I'm getting too. It seems like just because a lot of people aren't Christians go to Hell. I'm not a Christian, but believe in and praise a God, so I go to Hell? Its as if he knows God's judgement better than He does...
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

LJS9502_basic

Well you did refer to the alternatives as a means to rid the beliefs.

I don't recall saying that. IF I did what I meant was that it should open their minds to other possibilities.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

TheFlush

Only if you don't understand it.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Teenaged

Yeah, thats the vibe I'm getting too. It seems like just because a lot of people aren't Christians go to Hell. I'm not a Christian, but believe in and praise a God, so I go to Hell? Its as if he knows God's judgement better than He does...enterawesome

Now I would say "does anyone know?" but then Theo would rush to correct me somewhere so... :P

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 enterawesome
[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

Yes, it is. Its based upon living the way The Bible tells us to. The Bible wasn't written by God, so its not His word, just a bunch of people who think its correct. As I said before, I believe in and praise God, but I also believe in evolution.
Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 Aznsilvrboy
Member since 2002 • 11495 Posts
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]Well, I'm not a christian because 90% of what they do is against my beliefs. I believe in a god, and being a good person, but I do not believe in attending church to do so. I've fallen in and out of christianity, but my family isn't religious (immediate, at least, grandparents and aunt/uncle/cousins are) so I don't have to be stuck in it. I am against a lot of what the bible says, and I believe religion usually causes more hate than love.

So what do they DO?