Why I'm not a Christian anymore. What about you?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 stepnkev
Member since 2005 • 1511 Posts

[QUOTE="Wolf-Man2006"]

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] True, but it's alot harder than you'd think after you've been taught (at school even) all your life that it's real. I'm glad I got out when I did. TheGreatOutdoor

I wasn't being forced to become a Christian, it was a decision I made years ago.

Lucky you. I was forced into it at age eight (loved going to church before that moment). I was going to a church with my younger brother. My mother came once after about two years of me and my brother already going. My mother didn't like the church, found one she did and because a religious nut that then not only drug me and my brother from the church we liked, but then forced us to go to her church. We had fun at the one we was going to. The one my mom went to sucked and was boring as hell. They never tried to make anything fun for the kids to keep their interest. I was forced from age 8 to 16 to go to church once on Wednesdays and twice on Sundays. To this day I blame my mother for me hating church and religion. Being forced to do something is never cool. I don't care if I had a buddy come up with a extra ticket to take my to Six Flags. If it interfered with going to church, I couldn't go. All I did when I went to church was sleep anyways because her church sucks that much. She finally gave up trying when I was 16, but by then it was to late. She had forced me to go to church for eight years. The damage was done. She had already had me hating church and religion. So to all you religious people with kids. If you want them to grow up not hating church, then stop forcing them to go and let them decide for themselves if they want to go or not. I even stopped my kids from going to my mothers on the weekend because she was forcing them to go as well. I had to jump on her and tell her if she wants to see my kids spend the night again, she is going to have to get over herself and realize that my kids will choose to go, not be forced. If she couldn't live by my rules, then they couldn't stay anymore. She got the message and doesn't try to force them anymore.

I have to go for now, but I am curious. How were you forced to go at the age of eight? How old are your children?

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
It's an omniscient statement of absolute knowledge that encompasses the immaterial knowledge and experiences of every living and dead person ever to exist, now, in the past, and in the future. Obviously, you guys are deities.Theokhoth
The all-knowing not knowing. Makes sense. Or maybe this lack of sleep is actually getting to me.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="Juice_13"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]Lol, ok then if it didnt come out of no where, and u dont believe in god, where did it come from?

magnax1

Just for the sake of argument, if you believe that God created everything and something can't come out of nothing, where did God come from?

I dont know, but it makes just as much sense as everything coming out of nothing lol. Its kind of a fruitless arguement, but it makes more sense that one thing made everything than nothing made everything.

So it makes just as much sense as the notion that everything coming out of nothing, yet at the same time it makes more sense than the notion that everything came out of nothing. The perfect reasoning is perfect.
TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#104 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]Yeah, it basically comes down to how was the universe created and what happens after you die. Nobody has the answers to those 2 questions (yet). Eventually they will be answered.scorch-62

I'm curious about how you're so sure about the second part.

I'm pretty positive that science can eventually explain how our universe came into existence, we might not live till that day though. And if there's an afterlife, all of us will eventually be able to answer the question about death. ;) Unless there's nothing, then it will be silent I suppose. :)

Avatar image for TheGreatOutdoor
TheGreatOutdoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 TheGreatOutdoor
Member since 2009 • 3234 Posts

[QUOTE="TheGreatOutdoor"]

[QUOTE="Wolf-Man2006"]

I wasn't being forced to become a Christian, it was a decision I made years ago.

stepnkev

Lucky you. I was forced into it at age eight (loved going to church before that moment). I was going to a church with my younger brother. My mother came once after about two years of me and my brother already going. My mother didn't like the church, found one she did and because a religious nut that then not only drug me and my brother from the church we liked, but then forced us to go to her church. We had fun at the one we was going to. The one my mom went to sucked and was boring as hell. They never tried to make anything fun for the kids to keep their interest. I was forced from age 8 to 16 to go to church once on Wednesdays and twice on Sundays. To this day I blame my mother for me hating church and religion. Being forced to do something is never cool. I don't care if I had a buddy come up with a extra ticket to take my to Six Flags. If it interfered with going to church, I couldn't go. All I did when I went to church was sleep anyways because her church sucks that much. She finally gave up trying when I was 16, but by then it was to late. She had forced me to go to church for eight years. The damage was done. She had already had me hating church and religion. So to all you religious people with kids. If you want them to grow up not hating church, then stop forcing them to go and let them decide for themselves if they want to go or not. I even stopped my kids from going to my mothers on the weekend because she was forcing them to go as well. I had to jump on her and tell her if she wants to see my kids spend the night again, she is going to have to get over herself and realize that my kids will choose to go, not be forced. If she couldn't live by my rules, then they couldn't stay anymore. She got the message and doesn't try to force them anymore.

I have to go for now, but I am curious. How were you forced to go at the age of eight? How old are your children?

How was I forced you ask. Simple. Go or be grounded and get a whipping for not going. My kids are now 10 and 13.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#106 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="scorch-62"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Then obviously you guys have the answer, since you can say with definite certainty that nobody out of seven billion (living) people could possibly have an answer.Theokhoth

How is the fact that no one knows an answer?

It's an omniscient statement of absolute knowledge that encompasses the immaterial knowledge and experiences of every living and dead person ever to exist, now, in the past, and in the future. Obviously, you guys are deities.

No Theokhoth you dont have to be a diety to know it. And its not an omniscient statement either.

When you try to make that statement you take into account various problems. Such as the fact that god (whoever that might be) is of course greater than us therefore no one can perceive him/her/it fully in this life. This is just ONE problem.

Even in the case of god speaking directly to a select few people then they too cannot perceive god fully, being humans after all. Therefore, human nature, pretty much grants us this answer and in no way do we have to be deities to assume that.

But even if your point is valid, I dont see how it indicates something in favour of the validity of any religion.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="Juice_13"]

Just for the sake of argument, if you believe that God created everything and something can't come out of nothing, where did God come from?

-Sun_Tzu-

I dont know, but it makes just as much sense as everything coming out of nothing lol. Its kind of a fruitless arguement, but it makes more sense that one thing made everything than nothing made everything.

So it makes just as much sense as the notion that everything coming out of nothing, yet at the same time it makes more sense than the notion that everything came out of nothing. The perfect reasoning is perfect.

Sir you have it down!

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Teenaged

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

Lol, ok then if it didnt come out of no where, and u dont believe in god, where did it come from?

Theokhoth

Gee... I'm no scientist, but let's assume that our universe isn't the only universe out there, mayber there are millions of universes for all we know. Maybe some other universe died, exploded or whatever and created the beginning of our universe. Or matter escaped from another universe through a tear or wormhole in space and formed our universe. Maybe black holes have something to do with it, because (according to wiki) at the center of a black hole lies thesingularity, where matter is crushed to infintedensity, the pull of gravity is infinitely strong, and spacetime has infinite curvature. Maybe that singularity can be the beginning of a new universe.

That's a nice idea, but it's really no more valid than God Did It.

But the theories presented by theflush are more in accordance to the proceedure of seeking answers, than conveniently making them up (like in the case of god).

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#109 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

[QUOTE="Juice_13"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]Lol, ok then if it didnt come out of no where, and u dont believe in god, where did it come from?

magnax1

Te universe could be cyclic. It needent have come from nothing. It could have also 'popped' into existence via vacuum fluctuations. God is suppose to be a creature that lives outside of spacetime. How can anything live outside of spacetime?

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 magnax1

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

Gee... I'm no scientist, but let's assume that our universe isn't the only universe out there, mayber there are millions of universes for all we know. Maybe some other universe died, exploded or whatever and created the beginning of our universe. Or matter escaped from another universe through a tear or wormhole in space and formed our universe. Maybe black holes have something to do with it, because (according to wiki) at the center of a black hole lies thesingularity, where matter is crushed to infintedensity, the pull of gravity is infinitely strong, and spacetime has infinite curvature. Maybe that singularity can be the beginning of a new universe.

Teenaged

But the theories presented by theflush are more in accordance to the proceedure of seeking answers, than conveniently making them up (like in the case of god).

but basically all the theories for alternate universes are made up too, so....... its not, they are both seeking answers with basically no proof.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 TheFlush

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

Lol, ok then if it didnt come out of no where, and u dont believe in god, where did it come from?

Theokhoth

That's absolutely true, I wasn't saying that it's more valid. But these are just some things that I can come up with and I'm not a scientist. I just don't get that a lot of people automatically insert god when there's a question without an answer, there could be a million different answers. And to me personally, I find science more plausible than the answers of any of the 3 holy books (all the other religions aside). But I'm also a man of faith, I have faith in science.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Teenaged

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="Juice_13"]

BumFluff122

Te universe could be cyclic. It needent have come from nothing. It could have also 'popped' into existence via vacuum fluctuations. God is suppose to be a creature that lives outside of spacetime. How can anything live outside of spacetime?

The wild-card of lack of knowledge: god

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Still am one.
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="Juice_13"]

BumFluff122

Nobody said he lived out of space time, acutally if you wanted to look at religions as a reference, he almost always has a way of communicating with or coming to people on earth, wich would require him to be in space/time.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="scorch-62"]How is the fact that no one knows an answer?Teenaged

It's an omniscient statement of absolute knowledge that encompasses the immaterial knowledge and experiences of every living and dead person ever to exist, now, in the past, and in the future. Obviously, you guys are deities.

No Theokhoth you dont have to be a diety to know it. And its not an omniscient statement either.

When you try to make that statement you take into account various problems. Such as the fact that god (whoever that might be) is of course greater than us therefore no one can perceive him/her/it fully in this life. This is just ONE problem.

Even in the case of god speaking directly to a select few people then they too cannot perceive god fully, being humans after all. Therefore, human nature, pretty much grants us this answer and in no way do we have to be deities to assume that.

But even if your point is valid, I dont see how it indicates something in favour of the validity of any religion.

I agree that God can't be fully perceived for the reasons you gave, but I do not agree that God cannot be perceived period for that reason.

The only religion that gets validity from my statement is the one that worships the guys that omnisciently say we can't know the answer.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 TheFlush

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

magnax1

but basically all the theories for alternate universes are made up too, so....... its not, they are both seeking answers with basically no proof.

The difference is that science isn't stopping when they come up with a theoretical answer. Scientist will keep on searching until they can prove it to be right or wrong.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 BumFluff122

Nobody said he lived out of space time, acutally if you wanted to look at religions as a reference, he almost always has a way of communicating with or coming to people on earth, wich would require him to be in space/time.

magnax1

Perhaps you need to visit more forum debates. Yes God is thought to have lived outside of spacetime. If he created both space and time how could he live within it? Space and time would already need to exist. Therefor he can't have created either.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

Teenaged

The theories presented are no less "conveniently made up" than God. . .in fact, they are "conveniently made up" to explain away God.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

magnax1

No they are based on priciples. Those theories are formed based on reality that you witness everyday: the natural world.

God as a theory needs a special frame in order to be supported which inevitably must be set somewhere outside the natural world. The fact that the super-natural world has been fathomed doesnt make it existant. It is a possibility but it is based on nothing tangible.

A scientific theory is trying to make a cake with eggs and other ingredients.

A god theory is trying to make a cake with the thought that "my fridge should have ggs and the other ingredients".

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

Teenaged

Another one: Could. "It could have been this," or "it could have been that, therefore it isn't God."

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]But the theories presented by theflush are more in accordance to the proceedure of seeking answers, than conveniently making them up (like in the case of god).

Teenaged

No they are based on priciples. Those theories are formed based on reality that you witness everyday: the natural world.

And the "God theory" is based on principals as well, that you may or may not consider natural. If you don't, is it no longer "correct" because it isn't natural? I thought you liked philosophy.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

I agree that God can't be fully perceived for the reasons you gave, but I do not agree that God cannot be perceived period for that reason.

The only religion that gets validity from my statement is the one that worships the guys that omnisciently say we can't know the answer.

(RED) A lot of misconceptions there that you put I assume to make a angry comment. Atheism is not a religion neither is there worship involved. ;)

When can we say we know something? When we know for sure. 100% Therefore yes we cannot know 100%. We may have indications (indications of course prove nothing) but we have no certainty, thus we have faith.

So do you claim that a person can know? He/She doesnt know if he/she doesnt know 100%. Its partial knowledge, therefore not direct/absolute answers. Therefore answers that are not valid beyond any doubt.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
The New Testament has its share of contridictions and ridiculous lines as well... I still believe that the major population of all these religions, were indoctrinated sense birth to believe in it.
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

BumFluff122

Perhaps you need to visit more forum debates. Yes God is thought to have lived outside of spacetime. If he created both space and time how could he live within it? Space and time would already need to exist. Therefor he can't have created either.

Well if you think of it that way, if the universe was made without a god, whatever way it was made it would need to be made outside of spacetime too. See both science and God require faith, its basically just picking your poison.

Immortalica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Immortalica
Member since 2008 • 6309 Posts
I have been a heathen since I was born.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

Theokhoth

And the "God theory" is based on principals as well, that you may or may not consider natural. If you don't, is it no longer "correct" because it isn't natural? I thought you liked philosophy.

Did I say that a god theory is completely invalid? No. Also please dont cut my posts. I hate it and theres no reason to do that and I think that myexample at the end described it well.

Anyway like I said I dont believe a god theory is invalid because it is not based on the natural world. Wrong conclusion of yours there.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]Te universe could be cyclic. It needent have come from nothing. It could have also 'popped' into existence via vacuum fluctuations. God is suppose to be a creature that lives outside of spacetime. How can anything live outside of spacetime?

Theokhoth

Another one: Could. "It could have been this," or "it could have been that, therefore it isn't God."

Dammit Theo. I am an agnostic, not an atheist. I never said that those theories even in their possibility, invalidate god.

EDIT: My comment is valid because god is used many times as a wild card in the lack of knowledge.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]No Theokhoth you dont have to be a diety to know it. And its not an omniscient statement either.

Teenaged

(RED) A lot of misconceptions there that you put I assume to make a angry comment. Atheism is not a religion neither is there worship involved. ;)

When can we say we know something? When we know for sure. 100% Therefore yes we cannot know 100%. We may have indications (indications of course prove nothing) but we have no certainty, thus we have faith.

So do you claim that a person can know? He/She doesnt know if he/she doesnt know 100%. Its partial knowledge, therefore not direct/absolute answers. Therefore answers that are not valid beyond any doubt.

The belief that we can't know the answer is not atheism.;)

The rest of the post doesn't deal with anything I've said.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]No they are based on priciples. Those theories are formed based on reality that you witness everyday: the natural world.

Teenaged

Did I say that a god theory is completely invalid? No. Also please dont cut my posts. I hate it and theres no reason to do that and I think that myexample at the end described it well.

Anyway like I said I dont believe a god theory is invalid because it is not based on the natural world. Wrong conclusion of yours there.

That's like, three double negatives there.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]The wild-card of lack of knowledge: god

Teenaged

Dammit Theo. I am an agnostic, not an atheist. I never said that those theories even in their possibility, invalidate god.

EDIT: My comment is valid because god is used many times as a wild card in the lack of knowledge.

No, but this is the main conclusion from people who invoke God of the Gaps: there are other possibilities, therefore you shouldn't believe it was God.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

The theories presented are no less "conveniently made up" than God. . .in fact, they are "conveniently made up" to explain away God.

No that is wrong. The may have a level of convenience to compensate for the lack of knowledge (which of course exists in the scientific field as well), as expectable, but they dont set out with the goal to invalidate god if thats what you think.

Bringing up perhaps the bias of some scientists means nothing because the proceedure is not as easy in the scientific field and every theory is scrutinised. I wouldnt compare the validity of science with the validity of the explanation of the supernatural, simply because their two separate fields of study (natural - supernatural) cannot be compared either.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

I'm not sure what relevance your beliefs have to me but it's never been a secret the OT has violent content. As a Christian one should follow the teachings in the NT which are not violent. But I still don't see why you felt the need to tell me this.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 BumFluff122

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

magnax1

Well if you think of it that way, if the universe was made without a god, whatever way it was made it would need to be made outside of spacetime too. See both science and God require faith, its basically just picking your poison.

The Universe is currently outside of spacetime if current theories are thought to be correct. The Universe began expanding from a central point. Outside of the point there existed no space and no time. There is still an edge to the universe. Outside of that edge there exists no space and no time. If somethign can not exist outside of spacetime then a reasonable person woudl assume that outside our universe there exists another type of being. Personally I am of the belief that the Universe is infinite and there are multiple Big Bangs occurring forming multiple universes. Space could, of course, still be being stretched only the space we live in could be an infinitely small point within that space. The Big Bang theory also does not state that the universe came form nothing but that it began expanding from an infintely dense particle.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

Then which is it? EDIT: Oh agnosticism right? Hm, I am surprised I didnt get it being an agnostic and all. :P

Well my bad I thought in each post one makes he can add some more points... :roll: And I dont think the ones I added wereirrelevant...

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

And that means......?

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

No, but this is the main conclusion from people who invoke God of the Gaps: there are other possibilities, therefore you shouldn't believe it was God.

I just accept tit as a possibility that god is nothing more than a wild-card, but I am not eager to jump to such a conclusion so hastily or so soon in my life (if I ever reach a conclusion which I dont think is mandatory anyway).

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]But the theories presented by theflush are more in accordance to the proceedure of seeking answers, than conveniently making them up (like in the case of god).

Teenaged

No that is wrong. The may have a level of convenience to compensate for the lack of knowledge (which of course exists in the scientific field as well), as expectable, but they dont set out with the goal to invalidate god if thats what you think.

Bringing up perhaps the bias of some scientists means nothing because the proceedure is not as easy in the scientific field and every theory is scrutinised. I wouldnt compare the validity of science with the validity of the explanation of the supernatural, simply because their two separate fields of study (natural - supernatural) cannot be compared either.

I'm not sure why you think these theories are scientific; they have nothing to do with science and have no basis in any scientific method. They just seem "more natural." They are brought up in debates like this solely to say "Well, it could have been this way, therefore not God."

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]Did I say that a god theory is completely invalid? No. Also please dont cut my posts. I hate it and theres no reason to do that and I think that myexample at the end described it well.

Teenaged

And that means......?

I can't tell what you're saying.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"](RED) A lot of misconceptions there that you put I assume to make a angry comment. Atheism is not a religion neither is there worship involved. ;)

Teenaged

Then which is it?

Well my bad I thought in each post one makes he can add some more points... :roll: And I dont think the ones I added wereirrelevant...

Strong agnosticism.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 LJS9502_basic  Online

[QUOTE="scorch-62"]

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]Yeah, it basically comes down to how was the universe created and what happens after you die. Nobody has the answers to those 2 questions (yet). Eventually they will be answered.TheFlush

I'm curious about how you're so sure about the second part.

I'm pretty positive that science can eventually explain how our universe came into existence, we might not live till that day though. And if there's an afterlife, all of us will eventually be able to answer the question about death. ;) Unless there's nothing, then it will be silent I suppose. :)

I'd say it's just as likely that science won't figure it out. There is no reason to expect that humans can or will know everything. Science = human understanding.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

I'm not sure why you think these theories are scientific; they have nothing to do with science and have no basis in any scientific method. They just seem "more natural." They are brought up in debates like this solely to say "Well, it could have been this way, therefore not God."

They are based on science, and moreover in observable clues.

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

I love it when people say that the Bible tells Christians to stone sinners to death...Such ignorance astounds me. :roll:

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#143 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
I believe in a God, I try to praise and thank him every day, but I don't believe in one that just "created everything, like that" yet somehow forgetting all the ancient remains we found that came before humans. That said, Jesus is my role-model!
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

And that means......?

I can't tell what you're saying.

Ah, I simply said that I do not believe that only theories based on the natural world are valid. Is that clear now.

The point is that I believe that the ones based on the natural world are more trustworthy.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 LJS9502_basic  Online

Teenaged

I'm not sure why so many worship science as the answer to everything. Science is but the understanding humans have at any given time with the limited knowledge humans have of a specific thing. If everything we believed were absolutely wrong then the entirety of science is wrong as well.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]No that is wrong. The may have a level of convenience to compensate for the lack of knowledge (which of course exists in the scientific field as well), as expectable, but they dont set out with the goal to invalidate god if thats what you think.

Teenaged

No they aren't. . .they have absolutely no evidence supporting them; there is no proof whatsoever that there is more than one universe, no proof that the universe is cyclic, etc. They have no basis in science; they are philosophical conjectures. The closest they come to being scientific is that they appear to be "natural" events.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Teenaged

Strong agnosticism.

Theokhoth

Yeah that describes me at the moment.

But as I said its not a religion and neither do I worship anyone. ;)

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 BumFluff122

I'm not sure why you think these theories are scientific; they have nothing to do with science and have no basis in any scientific method. They are brought up in debates like this solely to say "Well, it could have been this way, therefore not God."

Theokhoth

It is an argument against those that believe without a doubt that God created the universe in which we live. They aren't willing to look at the alternatives because they believe that there are none. I've stated before that, more than likely, the birth of the universe will forever remain unknown. The only way we could truly discover what happened in the moments before the expansion of that particle is to go outside of that expanding space. I am an agnostic atheist but I am not going to completely rule out that a super powerful beign created that in which we live but the majority of people like me need proof. The only evidence thus far points towards a natural existence of the universe.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#150 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts

I love it when people say that the Bible tells Christians to stone sinners to death...Such ignorance astounds me. :roll:

LikeHaterade
I really never liked The Bible. Maybe it meant otherwise back then, but even The Bible says it: The Bible was written by people, not God. People who live by it praise people who wrote it, not God. I actually believe in a loving God.