Why has America gained international infamy status?(long read)

• 197 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts

I posted a link to a report that explains in detail why America is hated, I see no one read it, cause people still write insane stuff "They hate cause they're jealous that we're free". Read it folks, it's not from some random biased website, it's report from a think tank signed at the end by Paul Wolfowitz, if that isn't enough to convince why America is hated, then I don't know what will.

chris_yz80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 chris_yz80
Member since 2004 • 1219 Posts

I posted a link to a report that explains in detail why America is hated, I see no one read it, cause people still write insane stuff "They hate cause they're jealous that we're free". Read it folks, it's not from some random biased website, it's report from a think tank signed at the end by Paul Wolfowitz, if that isn't enough to convince why America is hated, then I don't know what will.

m25105
Its not in this thread, could you link it please
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 m25105

[QUOTE="m25105"]

chris_yz80

Its not in this thread, could you link it please

It's on page 2, but sure: http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/dod/dsb/commun.pdf

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
idunno the libyans seem to like the US:Pmrbojangles25
They seem to like the French more.
glenn2709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 glenn2709
Member since 2005 • 1719 Posts

The hate we get usually comes from one or more of the following:

1. Jealousy

2. The idea we're always in everyone's business

3. Arrogance that is seen from some Americans

4. Countries who think we want to go to war with everybody (kind of a continuation of number 2)

5. Propaganda

1. Jealousy comes from some countries that aren't as well off as us. Obviously, you have great countries that have no reason to be jealous, such as the UK, Canada, Australia, or any other first world country. On the other hand, you have places like Pakistan, Iran, and others that aren't in the same league in terms of living conditions.

2. You're pretty much damned if you do and damned if you don't when it comes to this one. People are complaining that we're helping attack Libya and a few are even trying to say we're only doing it to get a share of their oil. On the other hand, if we don't help we're called selfish and uncaring.

3. Some Americans act like the US is the only country that matters and everybody else is garbage. This is not the right way to look at things.

4. When we fought in Iraq most people automatically said we were only going in there for oil. They say that every time we have a conflict it's because we're after something.

5. You should hear some of the stuff that is said in North Korea about us. That's only one example.

No country is perfect. But America is an easy country to pick on. You even get people in America who knock the country for various reasons. Not much you can do about it, people will have their opinion.

ad1x2

I strongly agree with these 2 points you stated, every time I play a multiplayer game online 9 out of 10 I'd get racist remarks and you won't believe some of the things they say to me and my friends, but yeah usually we just laugh it off because it makes themselves look stupid.

rcafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 rcafan
Member since 2010 • 2025 Posts
that may be true. but we will never know till the people who so call hate us tell us why. i think it has some things to do with our forigen policy not the wars.
rcafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 rcafan
Member since 2010 • 2025 Posts

[QUOTE="ad1x2"]

The hate we get usually comes from one or more of the following:

1. Jealousy

2. The idea we're always in everyone's business

3. Arrogance that is seen from some Americans

4. Countries who think we want to go to war with everybody (kind of a continuation of number 2)

5. Propaganda

1. Jealousy comes from some countries that aren't as well off as us. Obviously, you have great countries that have no reason to be jealous, such as the UK, Canada, Australia, or any other first world country. On the other hand, you have places like Pakistan, Iran, and others that aren't in the same league in terms of living conditions.

2. You're pretty much damned if you do and damned if you don't when it comes to this one. People are complaining that we're helping attack Libya and a few are even trying to say we're only doing it to get a share of their oil. On the other hand, if we don't help we're called selfish and uncaring.

3. Some Americans act like the US is the only country that matters and everybody else is garbage. This is not the right way to look at things.

4. When we fought in Iraq most people automatically said we were only going in there for oil. They say that every time we have a conflict it's because we're after something.

5. You should hear some of the stuff that is said in North Korea about us. That's only one example.

No country is perfect. But America is an easy country to pick on. You even get people in America who knock the country for various reasons. Not much you can do about it, people will have their opinion.

glenn2709

I strongly agree with these 2 points you stated, every time I play a multiplayer game online 9 out of 10 I'd get racist remarks and you won't believe some of the things they say to me and my friends, but yeah usually we just laugh it off because it makes themselves look stupid.

and that can be the same for all countries in reality that nothing new.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
I find it hilarious that people think jealousy factor into this.. This has to be the most lol inducing reason out there..
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#59 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

I find it hilarious that people think jealousy factor into this.. This has to be the most lol inducing reason out there.. sSubZerOo

It's there, whether you want to believe it or not.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#60 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]I find it hilarious that people think jealousy factor into this.. This has to be the most lol inducing reason out there.. AFBrat77

It's there, whether you want to believe it or not.

Well, for some countries it is. Undoubtedly many disadvantaged citizens around the world who have neither the freedom nor the quality of life of Americans are naturally jealous of their people.

But for a lot of other countries, like Britain, Canada, Australia, France, New Zealand, the Netherlands, it sort of points to reasons outside jealously being responsible.

Jealously is, at most, an amplifier.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
Well, for some countries it is. Undoubtedly many disadvantaged citizens around the world who have neither the freedom nor the quality of life of Americans are naturally jealous of their people. But for a lot of other countries, like Britain, Canada, Australia, France, New Zealand, the Netherlands, it sort of points to reasons outside jealously being responsible.Danm_999
I think jealousy can also be looped into their hatred of our excess as well.....lets face it...we do do things in excess in this country and many of those countries have the right to look down on that...but I think jealousy does play a part...albeit a small part....but to say that there is no jealousy is a bit of a stretch.... in regards to the OP...I think yuou have some good points...I would also add that it's just easier to sit and pick at the country doing things when you don't have to be the one getting your hands dirty....ie the classic Monday Morning Quarterbacking.....
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"] I think jealousy can also be looped into their hatred of our excess as well.....lets face it...we do do things in excess in this country and many of those countries have the right to look down on that...but I think jealousy does play a part...albeit a small part....but to say that there is no jealousy is a bit of a stretch....

I'm just not really sure what other Western nations have to be jealous of vis a vis the United States. Most live as freely and as well (some, like Norway, Australia and New Zealand live better according to UN HDI rankings), so reasons for infamy must lie outside that. It's not like other Western cultures don't have their own examples of notorious excess and decadence.
in regards to the OP...I think yuou have some good points...I would also add that it's just easier to sit and pick at the country doing things when you don't have to be the one getting your hands dirty....ie the classic Monday Morning Quarterbacking.....Omni-Slash
See, this hits the nail on the heat in my opinion. The USA is the world leader, so their going to attract criticism regardless of what they do and how they do it.
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

it just comes with the territory of being the most powerful nation. spain was hated when it had a world monopoly and britain is still hated for it

gamedude2020

Exactly, no one else likes the country that is the most powerful and influential. It's just the position the U.S. is in, when another country takes the mantle someday, they will feel the same kind of hate.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Danm_999

[QUOTE="gamedude2020"]

it just comes with the territory of being the most powerful nation. spain was hated when it had a world monopoly and britain is still hated for it

AFBrat77

Exactly, no one else likes the country that is the most powerful and influential. It's just the position the U.S. is in, when another country takes the mantle someday, they will feel the same kind of hate.

Like the British did, like the French did, like the Byzantines did, like the Romans did, like the Greeks did.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Omni-Slash
I'm just not really sure what other Western nations have to be jealous of vis a vis the United States. Most live as freely and as well (some, like Norway, Australia and New Zealand live better according to UN HDI rankings), so reasons for infamy must lie outside that. It's not like other Western cultures don't have their own examples of notorious excess and decadence. Danm_999
It's got nothing to do with freedom...but I think a big part of it stems from other's mistaken belief that the US just does whatver the hell we want and we don;t have to anser to anyone.....it doens't matter how thoroughly we try to examine a situation....if it doesn't go perfectly it's all because of our "reckless attitude"...like most jealousy...it's completely baseless...we're not perfect..(far from it)...but we try to do the right things.....
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 m25105

Half the worlds population haven't even made a phone call, let alone watched T.V. how would they know how life in the U.S. is? This nonsense that America is hated cause it's a free nation is mind blowing. If freedom was hated the Netherlands, Sweden and Denmark would be the first countries to be bombed.

The U.S.A is hated cause of hypocrisy. America tells the world that they should be free and democratic, yet they support the dictators (sometimes even help install them). Since no one is going to read the report I linked I'll just copy paste the parts that's relevant.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU READ THE REPORT. Start at page 19 (Arabic numbers) to skip the legal stuff).

2.3 What is the Problem? Who Are We Dealing With?
The information campaign — or as some still would have it, "the war of ideas," or the
struggle for "hearts and minds" — is important to every war effort. In this war it is an
essential objective, because the larger goals of U.S. strategy depend on separating the

vast majority of non-violent Muslims from the radical-militant Islamist-Jihadists. But
American efforts have not only failed in this respect: they may also have achieved the
opposite of what they intended.

American direct intervention in the Muslim World has paradoxically elevated the stature
of and support for radical Islamists, while diminishing support for the United States to
single-digits in some Arab societies.

• Muslims do not "hate our freedom," but rather, they hate our policies. The
overwhelming majority voice their objections to what they see as one-sided support in
favor of Israel and against Palestinian rights, and the longstanding, even increasing
support for what Muslims collectively see as tyrannies, most notably Egypt, Saudi
Arabia, Jordan, Pakistan, and the Gulf states.

• Thus when American public diplomacy talks about bringing democracy to Islamic
societies, this is seen as no more than self-serving hypocrisy. Moreover, saying that
"freedom is the future of the Middle East" is seen as patronizing, suggesting that
Arabs are like the enslaved peoples of the old Communist World — but Muslims do
not feel this way: they feel oppressed, but not enslaved.

• Furthermore, in the eyes of Muslims, American occupation of Afghanistan and Iraq
has not led to democracy there, but only more chaos and suffering. U.S. actions
appear in contrast to be motivated by ulterior motives, and deliberately controlled in
order to best serve American national interests at the expense of truly Muslim selfdetermination.

• Therefore, the dramatic narrative since 9/11 has essentially borne out the entire
radical Islamist bill of particulars. American actions and the flow of events have
elevated the authority of the Jihadi insurgents and tended to ratify their legitimacy
among Muslims. Fighting groups portray themselves as the true defenders of an
Ummah (the entire Muslim community) invaded and under attack — to broad public
support.

• What was a marginal network is now an Ummah-wide movement of fighting groups.
Not only has there been a proliferation of "terrorist" groups: the unifying context of a
shared cause creates a sense of affiliation across the many cultural and sectarian
boundaries that divide Islam.

• Finally, Muslims see Americans as strangely narcissistic — namely, that the war is all
about us. As the Muslims see it, everything about the war is — for Americans —
really no more than an extension of American domestic politics and its great game.
This perception is of course necessarily heightened by election-year atmospherics, but
nonetheless sustains their impression that when Americans talk to Muslims they are
really just talking to themselves.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Danm_999"] I'm just not really sure what other Western nations have to be jealous of vis a vis the United States. Most live as freely and as well (some, like Norway, Australia and New Zealand live better according to UN HDI rankings), so reasons for infamy must lie outside that. It's not like other Western cultures don't have their own examples of notorious excess and decadence. Omni-Slash
It's got nothing to do with freedom...but I think a big part of it stems from other's mistaken belief that the US just does whatver the hell we want and we don;t have to anser to anyone.....it doens't matter how thoroughly we try to examine a situation....if it doesn't go perfectly it's all because of our "reckless attitude"...like most jealousy...it's completely baseless...we're not perfect..(far from it)...but we try to do the right things.....

Yeah so that attitude isn't really stemming from jealously then, but more from ire, or dissaproval, or a perception that the US is reckless. These perceptions aren't necessarily true however, but I don't really see, say Britain or Australia, disapproving of the USA's foreign policy as stemming from a jealously.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Omni-Slash
Yeah so that attitude isn't really stemming from jealously then, but more from ire, or dissaproval, or a perception that the US is reckless. These perceptions aren't necessarily true however, but I don't really see, say Britain or Australia, disapproving of the USA's foreign policy as stemming from a jealously.Danm_999
so you don't think that those countries would love to be able to do whatever they want and feel as though the ydon;t have to answer to no one...it's jealousy....but not over material goods or such....just the world power status...
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 m25105

As for the west, they don't hate America, they just find Americans to be controlled stupid. Since they keep electing politicians that screw them over and generally don't know what's going on in the world. However most Europeans fell for the the Obama hype too, especially in Germany.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"] so you don't think that those countries would love to be able to do whatever they want and feel as though the ydon;t have to answer to no one...it's jealousy....but not over material goods or such....just the world power status...

I think several countries have already been in that position in the past. (Britain, France) So no, I don't think any of the dissaproval of modern American action is some pent up desire to be able to claim that it's your government calling the shots around the world. I mean, as an anecdote, I know it's common practice for many Americans travelling Europe to pretend they're Canadian.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Why would citizens of other developed countries be jealous of the U.S.? It's not like that the standard of living there is higher than most other first world countries. I know I would much rather move to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or Western Europe than the U.S.
wolverine_97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 wolverine_97
Member since 2007 • 613 Posts

Hiroshima and Nagasaki, seriously, hear people's account of the incident.

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#74 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts

[QUOTE="curono"]***post***mrbojangles25

for starters, most of those are theories.

second, so what if they have oil? There is no shame in a mutually beneficial relationship; one country protects another's population from a cruel dictator, while in exchange perhaps getting a good deal on oil in the future. {Do you realize how terrible this is? It means going to war to get a good deal for oil. It is even worst thinking that you are ok with violating a nation's sovereignty and killing people for a "mutually beneficial relation". I dont know if you realize this, but it is the equivalent of an empire killing its way to domination.} Nobody goes to war simply for the good of it, there are always additional motives.

Third, I find it funny America is singled out in this conflict when A.) people were crying for Western help not more than a month ago "Oh, God, won't someone help the civilians", Of course not. American media may say that, but it is a fallacy. I can't imagine a population saying "We need americans to come and bomb this place around". About europe I wont talk since they are not the issue being discussed. and B.) Europe, specifically France, initiated outside assistance in Libya. The "World" literallyasked for the the US's help, and we were even hesitant to give it, partly because we already know how the world views our "meddling" in that, errrmmmm, screwed up part of the world.

We stayed out of Egypt. They have oil too, you know, but it was a relatively peaceful revolutionREALLY?? It was"Relatively peaceful??" Of course not. It was a violent one. I don't know why US stayed out of it, but let me assure you it is not as if we should praise a country for not meddling when they have no business there. , so no military involvement was needed. Again, sort of funny how no one mentions that similar scenario. Maybe, just maybe, do you think the US actually cares about an oppressive regime killing its own people (in addition to other things, of course) versus a peaceful revolution.

You claim the US is becoming an enemy of the entire globe when in truth we are its best friend.So taking military actions in libya, afhganistan, Iran, Irak Kuwait, Laos, Cambodya, Panama and vietnam and many other places makes us your friend? I'm sorry for my ignorance, but generally sending troops to attack a place TENDS to cause some kind of resentment and creates "enemies" The aid we send to all parts of the world eclipses the combined aid the rest of the world sends out by a huge amount. Our contributions to Japan, for example, in money, aid, and work hours is incredible. Keep in mind that we do this during one of the worst economic times in our history, when unemplyoment is around 10% and our debt is incredible.

Declining education? I beg to differ; people still flock to the US for their college degrees, and our universities are among the best in the world. K-12 is debatable in terms of quality, and it varies way too much to give an accurate idea of what is offered, but college/university-level education is the best there is. And all I can do is "lol" at fascism.Most people may not know where to pin point in the world map Lybia and STILL they think that it should be attacked. If you support attacking some place which you dont even know... well, hope you get where I am going.

Iran "is next?" Last time I checked they also had a brief revolution a few months ago, and we kept out of it. Iran is one of the more progressive Muslim countries in the world; while their leader is a bit crazy, the people are good, and we know this. We still dont know what will happen next.... We had an opportunity to get involved and we stayed out.

Israel might think that, but the US is not a theocracy. We do not believe in a "promised land" despite what a few politicians might say. "Promised land" is what Jewish and Muslim theocracies babble about, fight over, and kill over...the US will do a lot of babbling, fighting, and killing, but never over stupid religious prophecies.

Worrisome? Only if youre the leader of a country and a jerk. People should worry that a country thinks it has the divine right to send troops wherever it thinks it can. It should worry people that a country around the world can attack another that has nothing to do with it in the first place. It is really creepy stuff!

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

A number of reasons;

1) It's 'cool' amongst the youth of the other developed nations, particularly in Europe, to hate America. I can't begin to tell you the amount of xeonobphobic remarks I heard from kids my age (and several years older) during my five years in England.

2) There's a misconception that America, and its citizens, aren't bound by any rules and can do whatever they want, whenever they want. This has brought forth the notion that Americans are wild, out of control hooligans.

3) Tying in to the above reason, many people (including some users on this board) are singling out America as the sole, or at least primary, cause of any death and misery on the planet. Look at the Libyan debacle. America's involvement was miniscule in comparison to that of France and the UK, and still many people started trashing America for 'starting another war over oil and killing innocents'.

4) America is a nation of excess. Complete, blatant excess. It is a nation that wastes food, energy, money, and other resources that most countries on the globe are rather lacking it. Naturally, this creates bitterness amongst said nations.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#76 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

A number of reasons;

1) It's 'cool' amongst the youth of the other developed nations, particularly in Europe, to hate America. I can't begin to tell you the amount of xeonobphobic remarks I heard from kids my age (and several years older) during my five years in England.

2) There's a misconception that America, and its citizens, aren't bound by any rules and can do whatever they want, whenever they wants. This has brought forth the notion that Americans are wild, out of control hooligans.

3) Tying in to the above reason, many people (including some users on this board) are singling out America as the sole, or at least primary, reason for any death and misery on the planet. Look at the Libyan debacle. America's involvement was miniscule in comparison to that of France and the UK, and still many people started trashing America for 'starting another war over oil and killing innocents'.

4) America is a nation of excess. Complete, blatant excess. It is a nation that wastes food, energy, money, and other resources that most countries on the globe are rather lacking it. Naturally, this creates bitterness amongst said nations.

5) America has a fairly large portion of immigrants from Volgograd who fly HIND helicopters and terrorize innocent high school kids armed only with rpgs.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Verge_6
[QUOTE="sonicare"] 5) America has a fairly large portion of immigrants from Volgograd who fly HIND helicopters and terrorize innocent high school kids armed only with rpgs.

First part is false. I've yet to meet a fellow Volgogradian in America. The second part....no comment. >>
curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 curono

[QUOTE="gamedude2020"]

AFBrat77

Influential and powerful necessarily imply that they can enforce other countries and that the dominant country will subdue BY FORCE whoever they want. Take the case of Spain, which is the example posted. Controlling almost a whole continent and making slaves and forcing into colonies, kinda makes a valid hatred towards a country (in current Mexico there was a population of over 25 million habitants, which was reduced to 5 million habitants). This kind of dominance does justify a "global hatred".To be dominant you need to stomp other countries. And no one likes to be used as a carpet.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Verge_6

Influential and powerful necessarily imply that they can enforce other countries and that the dominant country will subdue BY FORCE whoever they wantcurono
Err...no, it doesn't. :? Influence and power aren't relegated solely to military force. This completely overlooks the economic and political fields of the civilized world, which are far more prevalent and active than the military field.

This is tying in with my second and third point. I'm pretty sure America isn't the most powerful and influential nation on the planet because everyone is afraid the USA is going to wipe them off the face of the earth.

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 curono
[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="curono"] Influential and powerful necessarily imply that they can enforce other countries and that the dominant country will subdue BY FORCE whoever they want

Err...no, it doesn't. :? This is tying in with my second and third point. I'm pretty sure America isn't the most powerful and influential nation on the planet because everyone is afraid the USA is going to wipe them off the face of the earth.

Look: dominance and being N1 require putting down whoever wants to be on par with you. No one with power likes to share that power. You want to keep it and stay in dominance. It always works like that and it always has. Perhaps now it is more subtle, but it is still basically the same. Bombing away, generating commercial lockup or any other way, but still it is enforcing your power.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Omni-Slash
I blame Rebecca Black.....
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Verge_6

Look: dominance and being N1 require putting down whoever wants to be on par with you.curono

No.

Seriously, the whole "America is a big bully that oppresses the globe so it can stay at No. 1" spiel that I see on this board is borderline xenophobic.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

Half the worlds population haven't even made a phone call, let alone watched T.V. how would they know how life in the U.S. is? This nonsense that America is hated cause it's a free nation is mind blowing. If freedom was hated the Netherlands, Sweden and Denmark would be the first countries to be bombed.

The U.S.A is hated cause of hypocrisy. America tells the world that they should be free and democratic, yet they support the dictators (sometimes even help install them). Since no one is going to read the report I linked I'll just copy paste the parts that's relevant.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU READ THE REPORT. Start at page 19 (Arabic numbers) to skip the legal stuff).

The information campaign - or as some still would have it, "the war of ideas," or the
struggle for "hearts and minds" - is important to every war effort. In this war it is an
essential objective, because the larger goals of U.S. strategy depend on separating the

vast majority of non-violent Muslims from the radical-militant Islamist-Jihadists. But
American efforts have not only failed in this respect: they may also have achieved the

American direct intervention in the Muslim World has paradoxically elevated the stature
of and support for radical Islamists, while diminishing support for the United States to

overwhelming majority voice their objections to what they see as one-sided support in
favor of Israel and against Palestinian rights, and the longstanding, even increasing
support for what Muslims collectively see as tyrannies, most notably Egypt, Saudi

societies, this is seen as no more than self-serving hypocrisy. Moreover, saying that
"freedom is the future of the Middle East" is seen as patronizing, suggesting that
Arabs are like the enslaved peoples of the old Communist World - but Muslims do

• Furthermore, in the eyes of Muslims, American occupation of Afghanistan and Iraq
appear in contrast to be motivated by ulterior motives, and deliberately controlled in
order to best serve American national interests at the expense of truly Muslim selfdetermination.

• Therefore, the dramatic narrative since 9/11 has essentially borne out the entire
radical Islamist bill of particulars. American actions and the flow of events have
elevated the authority of the Jihadi insurgents and tended to ratify their legitimacy
Ummah (the entire Muslim community) invaded and under attack - to broad public
support.

Not only has there been a proliferation of "terrorist" groups: the unifying context of a
shared cause creates a sense of affiliation across the many cultural and sectarian

• Finally, Muslims see Americans as strangely narcissistic - namely, that the war is all
about us. As the Muslims see it, everything about the war is - for Americans -
really no more than an extension of American domestic politics and its great game.
This perception is of course necessarily heightened by election-year atmospherics, but
nonetheless sustains their impression that when Americans talk to Muslims they are

m25105

I agree, for many americans it is very hard to understand that their foreign policies suck and people criticize them not because they are jealous but because what they do internationally suck. I would rather have a nation that does all that and it's straightforward with it "We are going to invade this country because primarily is beneficial to us, afterwards, if innocent people are helped, good but our primary goal is not that". That's why we need more Wikileaks!! but we also need better communicators at transmiting these kinds of truth.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

America is like the rich arrogant guy who lives on your road and always has to tell you how to do things and how great he is. You don't really hate him, he's just really annoying.

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 curono

[QUOTE="curono"] Look: dominance and being N1 require putting down whoever wants to be on par with you.Verge_6

No.

Seriously, the whole "America is a big bully that oppresses the globe so it can stay at No. 1" spiel that I see on this board is borderline xenophobic.

Yes IT HAPPENS. What you are saying is the equivalent of. "You know, we are N1 economy and power in the world, but if someone tries to take our spot we will gladly allow it". Of course that doesnt happen. If there is an opposing force or system there will be a beligerant campaign to keep supremacy. It is not about xenophobia, it is about an ongoing process and form of dominance which can be seen since empires existed. Think about Romans empire and try to find any similitude. Remember, our times are much more subtle.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Verge_6
[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

[QUOTE="curono"] Look: dominance and being N1 require putting down whoever wants to be on par with you.curono

No.

Yes IT HAPPENS. What you are saying is the equivalent of. "You know, we are N1 economy and power in the world, but if someone tries to take our spot we will gladly allow it".

No, what I'm saying is that you're knowingly excluding basic international practices and examples. How does saying "America doesn't oppress anyone who wants to advance in the world" equate to "America would gladly lower itself because another nation wants to"? China disproves your statement, as its clearly trying to become the world's next superpower, and guess what America is doing? It's not oppressing it militarily, politically, or economically. Rather, the USA is willingly STRENGTHENING its position. Yes, American wants to stay in position of dominance. Guess what? ANY nation would want to stay at the top.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 kuraimen

[QUOTE="curono"][QUOTE="Verge_6"]

No.

Verge_6

Yes IT HAPPENS. What you are saying is the equivalent of. "You know, we are N1 economy and power in the world, but if someone tries to take our spot we will gladly allow it".

No, what I'm saying is that you're knowingly excluding basic international practices and examples. How does saying "America doesn't oppress anyone who wants to advance in the world" equate to "America would gladly lower itself because another nation wants to"? China disproves your statement, as its clearly trying to become the world's next superpower, and guess what America is doing? It's not oppressing it militarily, politically, or economically. Rather, the USA is willingly STRENGTHENING its position. Yes, American wants to stay in position of dominance. Guess what? ANY nation would want to stay at the top.

Not any nation, I don't see Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Costa Rica or even Japan wanting to be at the top.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Verge_6

[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="curono"] Yes IT HAPPENS. What you are saying is the equivalent of. "You know, we are N1 economy and power in the world, but if someone tries to take our spot we will gladly allow it".kuraimen

Not any nation, I don't see Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Costa Rica or even Japan wanting to be at the top.

> Implying they wouldn't like to be.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

The information campaign - or as some still would have it, "the war of ideas," or the
struggle for "hearts and minds" - is important to every war effort. In this war it is an

Arabs are like the enslaved peoples of the old Communist World - but Muslims do

Ummah (the entire Muslim community) invaded and under attack - to broad public
support.

• Finally, Muslims see Americans as strangely narcissistic - namely, that the war is all
about us. As the Muslims see it, everything about the war is - for Americans -

m25105

I don't think most people hate the USA for political reasons. Most people don't even care about politics. Example: I can sign on to Xbox Live, and probably have some British / Euro guy tell me to go eat McDonalds because I'm a fat American ****. I can easily tell them to go brush their gingivitis-ridden teeth, but I don't stoop that low. Anyway, my point is that a lot of the rest of the world has grown up being taught to hate Americans. A lot of them can't be older than 12... so you know they have no idea about politics. But they *know* that all Americans are fat and eat exclusively at McDonalds.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 BMD004

As for the west, they don't hate America, they just find Americans to be controlled stupid. Since they keep electing politicians that screw them over and generally don't know what's going on in the world. However most Europeans fell for the the Obama hype too, especially in Germany.

m25105
See, I hate this. People from other countries always give Americans crap for the people that they elect. That might make sense, but those people elect douchebags in their own countries just like we do here in America. They would have a point if everything in their country was running smooth - but it's not. They elect idiots, too.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 kuraimen
[QUOTE="kuraimen"]

[QUOTE="Verge_6"] No, what I'm saying is that you're knowingly excluding basic international practices and examples. How does saying "America doesn't oppress anyone who wants to advance in the world" equate to "America would gladly lower itself because another nation wants to"? China disproves your statement, as its clearly trying to become the world's next superpower, and guess what America is doing? It's not oppressing it militarily, politically, or economically. Rather, the USA is willingly STRENGTHENING its position. Yes, American wants to stay in position of dominance. Guess what? ANY nation would want to stay at the top. Verge_6

>Implying they would like to be Most of those countries have better social services and people live better than in the so called most powerful countries. Why would they like to change that? their policies don't indicate they want to be at the top.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 BMD004

[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="kuraimen"]

kuraimen

>Implying they would like to be Most of those countries have better social services and people live better than in the so called most powerful countries. Why would they like to change that? their policies don't indicate they want to be at the top.

Better social services? Ok, but at who's expense?

In the USA, we don't WANT a lot of social services.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Verge_6

their policies don't indicate they want to be at the top.kuraimen
Maybe because they have no real prospects of being at the top anytime soon? I can damned well tell you as a European citizen that the Scandinavian territories have tried quite hard to advance their positions in the EU field. If they're so happy where they currently are, why are they doing that? You always cast your country as the flawless paragon, so we'll leave that there. And Japan...I don't think anyone can deny that Japan has been trying to advance its position on the world stage. Advancement drives civilization, and this prospect that there are nations that merely want to live quietly on the sidelines in a peaceful, humble existence like geographical Tibetan monks is naive, at best. Everyone wants to be noticed, everyone wants to be respected, everyone wants to matter. Human nature ftw.

Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

I think it is because there are alot of ignorant americans that shout stuff like:

''WE WON WW2 YES!!!!''

or

''USA IS THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD''

wich is just... so stupid. Imagine a guy coming to work everyday shouting that hes the best one there and that all the others depend on him. You would kill him within a week. I have nothing against the US (I like the place) but ppl there should travel more.

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 curono

[QUOTE="curono"][QUOTE="Verge_6"]

No.

Verge_6

Ok. Let's take it to a more basic level, boy a and play a game: Try to guess of who am I talking about: Ancient Rome (empire) or Current US

1.Is extremely active militarily.

2. Has bases outside its territory to ensure his position as an imperial Leader

3. Tends to impose its currency, language and culture.

4. Its people think that they are doing a favor by imposing its political system and culture.

5. After military actions over a territory followed a commercial relation, which was clearly beneficial to the Imerial-like group.

6. Imposes its market and market conditions which are beneficial to the "empire-like group". Either by consuming natural resources cheap, or using in a "pawn-like" way other populations.

7. Tends to see foreign populations as barbaric.

uess who am I talking about?

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Verge_6

guess who am I talking about?

curono

Hmmm, all that sounds like a kingdom I once stayed in for five years, so I'mma go with England. :)

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 curono

[QUOTE="curono"]guess who am I talking about?

Verge_6

Hmmm, all that sounds like a kingdom I once stayed in for five years, so I'mma go with the England. :)

Will you admit now that I'm right?
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 m25105

[QUOTE="m25105"]

BMD004

See, I hate this. People from other countries always give Americans crap for the people that they elect. That might make sense, but those people elect douchebags in their own countries just like we do here in America. They would have a point if everything in their country was running smooth - but it's not. They elect idiots, too.

Which is why I wrote at the end "Most Europeans fell for the Obama hype too".

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Verge_6

[ Will you admit now that I'm right?curono
Seeing as I said England and not the US...no?

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 curono
[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="curono"][ Will you admit now that I'm right?

Seeing as you've completely and utterly skewed the definition of what an empire is with your hyperbole-filled comparison...no?

At least you should try to debate the comparison. Try harder. And first of all, empire definition could not work without a figure of an emperor. That's why we talk of imperialism, which reflect a country's action similar to an empire. I know it is hard to see it as an American but try to do it. I know it goes against your nature but try to do it. 1.Is extremely active militarily. 2. Has bases outside its territory to ensure his position as an imperial Leader 3. Tends to impose its currency, language and culture. 4. Its people think that they are doing a favor by imposing its political system and culture. 5. After military actions over a territory followed a commercial relation, which was clearly beneficial to the Imerial-like group. 6. Imposes its market and market conditions which are beneficial to the "empire-like group". Either by consuming natural resources cheap, or using in a "pawn-like" way other populations. 7. Tends to see foreign populations as barbaric.