Why has America gained international infamy status?(long read)

• 197 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

As a man who has studied history for a long time and has had history as one of my favorite topics and hobbies to learn about, I can never really say the one day where America started getting all its hate. I know that this hate did not come over night but developed throughout many events.

During WW1 and WW2 America was praised world wide as a great nation of bravery and overcoming tragedies. Known as the land of wealth, abundance and opportunity(its still a land of opportunity and I would know since I moved here).

Its the super power military of the world ruled by people chosen by the people. A democratic nation of liberty and freedom that supports and carries the economic system of Capitalism.

So, why has America gotten so unpopular? Is it because we get into everyone's business? While this has been a huge reason, it comes from a another chain of events and lead us to negative involvement. But despite a lot of hate from nations we invade and the request for isolation, America has in fact gained a good reputation for getting into the world's business. of course America has had many bad and unfortunate involvement's in the world that perhaps would be best if we had stayed out of it, but we also send a lot of help for tragedies, disasters, and turmoil, America has always been there to send their abundance of everything to help any country in need.

Is it because many of Americans are stupid? I think not. While there is a typical ignorant population, every nation has an ignorant population. America still has many intelligent and open minded people. We have many bright students and have some top notch universities. While our education system is lacking, people always have a choice of private school, homeschool, or public school and uses many sources to be informed.

Is it because America is warmongering? America isnt a warmongering nation, we dont create every war or conflict, we simply get involved. While US has the most powerful and largest military structure in the world, they are not free to do whatever they want with it. The military is restricted in their actions. They are not as restricted as they should be. In the constitution it clearly states that the US should not have a standing army, but since we get involved in a conflict every decade, there is no way unfortunately.

Why do I believe America is hated? It all started with the cold war. America has a problem with despising and fearing ideas that conflict with the way we live. We think we know everything but we dont. Our fear of ideas such as communism took fear and hate to a whole other level. The conflict with the Soviet Union created this hate of communists against capitalists. US went through a phase of so much fear and hate that we started creating all these events in countries and started manipulating nations out of this fear. Communism grew and while it is a very flawed idea and no one has come near real communism, we started hating all these ideas. We got involved in the Korean war because of this and then we went on to Vietnam which was an atrocity. The fear of communism grew so large that we simply used everything at hand to try and get rid of it except nukes. America's hate came from the Imperialism ideas and fear. Had America been more acceptance of others ideas from this era, we would not have so much hate. we would not have invaded nations because of their communist influences. From Vietnam we went to the gulf war which I do not fully condemn because Iraq wanted to invade Kuwait. We got involved to help a small nation when suddenly UN came and told America to **** off and not letting them finish the Job. The second Iraq war brought a lot more infamy due to no true reason for involvement except for the need of natural resource and Bush's need to finish his father's unfinished job.

We have never had a President loved by all. we always look at their flaws and judge them solely by that. And that is good, but everyone commits errors thus every president will have a flaw to be judged upon. We see many as better than others such as John F. Kennedy, Ted and Franklin Roosevelt, Eisenhower, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton. In the infamous side we have, Lyndon B. Johnson, Woodrow Wilson, George W. Bush, Bush .Sr, Richard Nixon and Jimmy Carter.

America in the end, is a country in constant change and political restriction due to our 2 party system only allowing limited ideals to reach the surface and the media.We will always go in a circle because the same people in the same parties have the same ideas. There is no independent thought because we fear true change and true new ideals. I am nor communist, nor democrat, nor republican or anarchist or fascist. I am simply an independent thinker hoping that America allows new people to have a chance at being in charge in fixing the image, violence, and economy of this nation.

Thoughts? Agree or disagree?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
Good post. I don't know about America being hated, I mean there are people here in the middle east who definitely hate the US, but I kind of appreciate it, dunno why. Perhaps its due to the fact that I have been doing this whole Internet thing since I was 14 or so and I have always been in touch with Americans. I wanted to learn and Gaza did not satisfy my hunger. Americans did, to a great extent.
darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
Interesting write up
RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RadecSupreme

Interesting write updarkfox101
Thank you.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RadecSupreme

Good post. I don't know about America being hated, I mean there are people here in the middle east who definitely hate the US, but I kind of appreciate it, dunno why. Perhaps its due to the fact that I have been doing this whole Internet thing since I was 14 or so and I have always been in touch with Americans. I wanted to learn and Gaza did not satisfy my hunger. Americans did, to a great extent.GazaAli
Thank you, and yea the hate in the middle east is obvious. Due to Iraq, Aghanistan. Occupation of nations never brings any good.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

Is America really hated that much overseas? I ask international students that, and they usually tell me that the US is pretty well regarded where they come from.

Though, those are from people who came to the US to study, so it's very possible that they could be a biased sample.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Because we are in the public eye and are a nation that typically "airs it's dirty laundry".

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
But on a side note, Reagan is on the better camp? really? Isn't he the crazy guy or is it Nixon?
RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RadecSupreme

But on a side note, Reagan is on the better camp? really? Isn't he the crazy guy or is it Nixon?GazaAli

I believe it was Nixon. He did the watergate scandal and escalated the Vietnam war ever more. Reagan did make many bad choices but he also did many great things for the nation.

Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
Vietnam.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]But on a side note, Reagan is on the better camp? really? Isn't he the crazy guy or is it Nixon?RadecSupreme

I believe it was Nixon. He did the watergate scandal and escalated the Vietnam war ever more. Reagan did make many bad choices but he also did many great things for the nation.

Nixon ended Vietnam. LBJ was responsible for the massive escalation in Vietnam - partly why he did not run again.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#13 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]But on a side note, Reagan is on the better camp? really? Isn't he the crazy guy or is it Nixon?RadecSupreme

Bedtime for Bonzo?
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
It was a nice read. With a wall of text you should always consider to make a TL;DR version though. Anyways, I have a negative thought when I think about America. Not because of its history but because of the media. A land that lives on McDonalds, Teenage mothers, 2 party system and the list goes on and on. America is big and tries to be one with 300million~ people. It's just impossible.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

The hate we get usually comes from one or more of the following:

1. Jealousy

2. The idea we're always in everyone's business

3. Arrogance that is seen from some Americans

4. Countries who think we want to go to war with everybody (kind of a continuation of number 2)

5. Propaganda

1. Jealousy comes from some countries that aren't as well off as us. Obviously, you have great countries that have no reason to be jealous, such as the UK, Canada, Australia, or any other first world country. On the other hand, you have places like Pakistan, Iran, and others that aren't in the same league in terms of living conditions.

2. You're pretty much damned if you do and damned if you don't when it comes to this one. People are complaining that we're helping attack Libya and a few are even trying to say we're only doing it to get a share of their oil. On the other hand, if we don't help we're called selfish and uncaring.

3. Some Americans act like the US is the only country that matters and everybody else is garbage. This is not the right way to look at things.

4. When we fought in Iraq most people automatically said we were only going in there for oil. They say that every time we have a conflict it's because we're after something.

5. You should hear some of the stuff that is said in North Korea about us. That's only one example.

No country is perfect. But America is an easy country to pick on. You even get people in America who knock the country for various reasons. Not much you can do about it, people will have their opinion.

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

Meh. When you have seen some of the 'quality programming' on MTV etc, its not hard to work out why America and Americans are disliked...

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#17 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts
I laughed at the warmonger part. It is the equivalent of: I'm not into fighting, but every time I see people about to fight each other, someone will eat knuckles. I mean having an imperialist approach to the world tends to give a bad connotation...
CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts

Because in WW2 were were isolated till towards the end of the war in which we pwned.

Pikdum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pikdum
Member since 2010 • 2244 Posts

I do often feel like America is hated sometimes.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Our two party system is hardly the problem.. The United States party system does not work like other Western nations... It is a candidate based system in which party affiliation as considered loose at best.. This is completely different where in other nations they don't vote for a candidate they vote for a party, and the said party puts a candidate in office.. You suggest there is a stagnation of ideas, when that can easily be argued for a multi party system.. Multiparty systems are forced to make alliances all the time in which only the basest of ideas and values are put forward by the group.. To me when people blame it specifically on this, it sounds like they are mistaken on multiple fronts with the political system within the United States.. It is by no means perfect, but nor is it completely flawed..

And to answer the main question... Its because the United States since the 1950s has replaced the British Empire as the upcoming industrial military complex.. Cold War politics has led to dicatatorships (including ones the US actually installed) in strategic areas of economic gain.. This has bled into post Cold War politics unfortunately, where the United States has a uneccesary vaste military to which it has been used to combat extremely poor nations.. It only makes matters worse when politicians try to disregard this or act like it never happened.. Which creats back lash in not only being hostile towards US policies (many would call imperialism) when the US is acting on the moral high ground in claiming they did none such things or it wasn't the reason to do for it.. Iran is a poster child for this... People wonder why Iran despises the United States.. One need only open a history book to see that the CIA and MI6 overthrew the democratic president Mosdeqq and install a brutal and corrupt dictator Shah into power... Than there is the fact that the United States openly supports Israel with out question, regardless of what violations and actions they have done to their neighbors as a government.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Meh. When you have seen some of the 'quality programming' on MTV etc, its not hard to work out why America and Americans are disliked...

Urworstnhtmare

And yet an imitation of each of those programs you are hating on occurs in almost every country that would allow it...

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

I think people hate America for several reasons.

1. They are over-saturated with American culture. Other countries have a lot of American programming on TV, a lot of American restaurants, stores, news, etc. Put yourself in that position and say, a country like Germany was EVERYWHERE you look in your country.

2. Arrogance. Many people see the USA as arrogant... not only in the government, but it's people. People often say things like "America is the greatest country on Earth." If somebody from Germany said that "Germany is the greatest country on Earth", people don't really care. But since America is the "super power" of the world, and there is that over-saturation of American culture, people get fed-up and "lash out" at the Americans. Because America is in the position of being a super-power, they have a real point if they say that America is the greatest because of their super-power status. So this makes people defensive.

3. I think the creation of the internet made this worse. Before, people didn't mind the American culture in their countries too much. But then, with the creation of the internet, people from other countries came into contact with American citizens much more. They found out that Americans think their country is better than all of the other countries out there, and that other countries should be greatful for American culture that has made their way to their country.

This would of course piss people off. This in turn has pushed people to become overly-proud of their own country. This is evidenced by threads right here on Gamespot... "SAS vs. Navy Seals", "Corvette vs. Ferrari", etc, etc.

The rest of the world has an "anti-American" stance, now. So everybody is against anything American, no matter if they are from Italy or England. So in those threads, many people who are from somewhere like Italy would pick the SAS over the Navy Seals because that is a way to "get back" at Americans. Or people from England would pick a Ferrari over a Corvette because the Corvette is American. I'm just using those as broad examples.

In general, I often feel that it is USA vs. the world. People from other countries stick together to bash America. Just my 2 cents.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58439 Posts

I dont think people really hate the US, I think we are just the best example of all the things some people hate. Capitalism, social expression, tolerance of many religions, tolerance of same-sex relationships, tolerance of various forms of media, and so forth. A lot of people do not like those things, and America embraces all of it and more.

You cant really declare war on capitalism. So what do you do? Declare war on the best example of it (i.e. America).

I think if a lot of the people that "hate" America walked around this country for a little bit, they'd notice that 98% of the time we are people just like them.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

I dont think people really hate the US, I think we are just the best example of all the things some people hate. Capitalism, social expression, tolerance of many religions, tolerance of same-sex relationships, tolerance of various forms of media, and so forth. A lot of people do not like those things, and America embraces all of it and more.

You cant really declare war on capitalism. So what do you do? Declare war on the best example of it (i.e. America).

I think if a lot of the people that "hate" America walked around this country for a little bit, they'd notice that 98% of the time we are people just like them.

mrbojangles25

We are?

Also, let me abridge the comments of everyone who criticizes America for American arrogance: "LOL stupid Americans, you think your country is so great. WATCH AS I GLOAT ARROGANTLY OVER MY FREE* HEALTH CARE!"

*=Which you pay for in taxes and debt.

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

TC, I thought your original post was well written, personally I don't agree. But I'll be damned if I'm going to go into why here :lol:

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

789shadow

We are?

Also, let me abridge the comments of everyone who criticizes America for American arrogance: "LOL stupid Americans, you think your country is so great. WATCH AS I GLOAT ARROGANTLY OVER MY FREE* HEALTH CARE!"

*=Which you pay for in taxes and debt.

yeah we are pretty damn tolerant of it, and accepting of it most of the time. Its a shame same-sex marriage has not been given the go, true, but yeah we are pretty good in that department.

this is as a californian, though...dontk now how the rest of the country really feels.

and yeah, lol at the arrogance

gamedude2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gamedude2020
Member since 2004 • 3795 Posts

it just comes with the territory of being the most powerful nation. spain was hated when it had a world monopoly and britain is still hated for it

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Americans greatly overestimate how much the rest of the world cares about them. "Hate" is far too strong a term, most just don't care, occasionally are annoyed when something American (whatever it may be) pops up. It really speaks volumes about the arrogance of some Americans when they assume that everything American is naturally the best, and anyone disliking it is just hating on America (e.g. ferrari vs. corvette, SAS vs seals)
THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2358 Posts

mrbojangles25

The religious extremism in the US would suggest little tolerance for same sex relationships, and i am not sure tolerance of many religions would be the right word either?

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BMD004

Americans greatly overestimate how much the rest of the world cares about them. "Hate" is far too strong a term, most just don't care, occasionally are annoyed when something American (whatever it may be) pops up. It really speaks volumes about the arrogance of some Americans when they assume that everything American is naturally the best, and anyone disliking it is just hating on America (e.g. ferrari vs. corvette, SAS vs seals)F1_2004
Now-a-days, I actually find those from other countries being more biased than Americans.

Just as Americans grew up being told that the USA is the greatest country in the world, people today are growing up in their country where they learn that the USA sucks and is full of fat, stupid, greedy, loud, obnoxious, backwoods, arrogant goofballs who can't do anything right. They grow up thinking America = bad.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BMD004

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

THUMPTABLE

The religious extremism in the US would suggest little tolerance for same sex relationships, and i am not sure tolerance of many religions would be the right word either?

Religious extremism is a small part of the U.S. population. And even still, just because you personally a religious person doesn't mean that you think everybody should live by the same standards. For example, I'm a Catholic, but I have no problem with same-sex couples. That is their choice and their life. I don't agree with it, but who am I to tell them?
reagan80_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 reagan80_basic
Member since 2002 • 2651 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMGlR6LT4co

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts

Dear thread starter, read this it will explain why the United States has become hated. Skip to page 11 (Arabic numbers) or page 19 in Adobe.

It's signed by Paul Wolfowitz.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

it all boils down to a tiny portion of the population using national policy to gain personal wealth.

m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts

mrbojangles25

If that was the case, the Netherlands would be the most hated country in the world. The U.S. is hated because it's a hypocritical nation, it preaches democracy with its mouth and installs dictators with its hand. It's not exactly rocket science.

Cheesehead9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 Cheesehead9099
Member since 2008 • 2849 Posts

tl;dr

And it's because we like to blow s*** up.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
I agree and disagree. Contrary to what many people think here I don't hate the US I actually think that the founding fathers of the US were some of the most forward thinking and important individuals the world has had. Some of the values under which the US was built were an incredible evolution in ethic and moral positions. Never before had a nation been built under the principle that all men are created equal. Besides the working ethic of their citizens was admirable to say the least, they managed to overcome all difficulties, become a superpower and probably the most productive nation in the history of mankind (with foreign aid of course but still they provided the opportunities and context). I also don't hate their citizens, one of my best friends is american, I have several american friends, I have visited the country several times and most times I've felt welcomed there. What I do hate about America is what they became, their foreign policy and the imperialistic attitude of their government. Their manifest destiny doctrine made them invade and take a lot of land from many people, they even tried to invade my country with an army led by William Walker. After that their dominance became economic in nature, you are correct in that during the Cold War years they probably garnered most of the hate. During that time they helped overthrow democratically elected governments in latinamerica helping instill some of the most ruthless military governments in the region. Even my country, which was never comunistic, felt the influence of the US ambassadors telling our government what to support and what not to support and the idea of communism is still frowned upon here without any kind of analysis. If a country dared to go against them in the region they either had to become a Cuba or there wasn't a real democratic possibility without the US using the county's military to overthrow and control their government. Many innocent people dissapeared and died during that time. And one of the most active foreign aides of the US, Kissinger, even got a Nobel Prize, talk about a slap on the face. They were doing all that even as they claimed to be a beacon of peace and democracy. Aside from that their economic policy has been insulting to say the least. Every developed nation takes advantage of the little guy but the US represents the idea of aggresive capitalism, the idea of "free" market which turned many of our countries into maquilas for their products, slave nations for their companies. Even the famous "american dream" is a materialistic dream about monetary value, the real value of things is replaced by a prize in dollars that they put on everything (not surprising the US is the country with the most complex patenting system in the world and the country with the most patents, everything is measured in dollars) that is, IMO, probably one of the main world problems we have now in the world, we are incapable to see the real value of things through their monetary value. The US economic and political culture has permeated deep into many other nations which is troublesome to say the least. Of course the US couldn't have made it alone, the popularity they had after WW2 served as a moral guide and made many nations adopted these ideals with little questioning since they saw the US as a role model. Now that we are seeing that this system is obsolete and ilogical many people blame the US for making it this way. What many of those people fail to see is that their nations are also to blame, their leaders were stupid enough to believe all this crap and follow it, they could have fought it if they had the balls and the intelligence to see past that but they had none. I certainly blame the leaders of my country for trying to follow something that is broken from its foundations but as long as the US is the superpower and keeps pushing their agenda a real change is going to be very difficult or really traumatic. The US as a nation has had good and bad things, maybe they would be less hated if they kept to themselves instead of trying to influence the entire world with their policies and being hypocritical in their true intensions. But then again if they hadn't done that maybe they would've never become the nation they are today which I can't say if it's a good or a bad thing. Either way I think the world has to move on from the post WW2 ideals about capital that shaped the US if we actually want to evolve into something better and not destroy ourselves in the process. Now we are waiting for China as the next transition but I don't have lots of hope in that either.
jak275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jak275
Member since 2007 • 431 Posts

Urworstnhtmare
But even in America, quality and MTV can't be used in the same sentence.
Gamingclone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gamingclone
Member since 2009 • 5224 Posts

The people who hate us dont truely understand America, and neither do the people who love America. There are plently of reasons to love and hate us I say, just like with every other country in the world.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2358 Posts

[QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"]

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

BMD004

Religious extremism is a small part of the U.S. population. And even still, just because you personally a religious person doesn't mean that you think everybody should live by the same standards. For example, I'm a Catholic, but I have no problem with same-sex couples. That is their choice and their life. I don't agree with it, but who am I to tell them?

I don't know, the bible belt is a pretty big area. I'm sure other christains would disagree with you on the same sex couples. Its is obviously argued that it goes against the bible.

Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#41 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

Jealousy. They have the biggest (and what is possibly the most cutting-edge in in terms of technology) military on the planet. That should sum it all up. The fact they have military presence almost anywhere on the globe feeds more fuel to the fire. Of course, there are some people who don't like outsiders meddling in their homeland. It may seem like America is treating the country like a colony to them.

But what I believe is the true case, IMO anyways, is the majority of their mass media products (coughteenstarsandMTVcough). The **** they pump out and feed to other countries. It's pretty much media globalization. This makes others think that their popular culture is basically American-izing their youths. But then, let's blame the companies that do this, not the country itself.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Various explanations:

1. The government's foreign policy: openly promoting freedom and democracy but things are not always what it seems. Stationing troops around key spots and two controversial wars have been met with mixed opinions.

2. Jealousy: Powerful military, strong economy, dominant culture. Though when rubbing people the wrong way with this point, it leads to...

3. Opinions of some on the Internet which have further created and maintained American stereotypes.

4. Some bandwagoners on the hate wagon.

5. Relatively conservative views on a rather liberal world climate.

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#43 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts
I saw this. Hope it gets to illustrate on why there is a lot of... hatred... Fact 1: There are no WMDs in Libya. Fact 2: Libya has oil. Fact 3: The US is dependent upon foreign oil. Fact 4: America only "defends" civilians in oil producing countries. Fact 5: The attack on Libya, a sovereign nation, is no different that the attacks on Iraq and Afghanistan. Fact 6: America is quickly becoming an enemy of the entire globe. Either militarily, culturally, or economically. Fact 7: A declining education system is the second step in the move towards fascism. Fact 8: Iran is next. Fact 9: This is part of an Israeli/American plot to keep the promised land safe. Fact 10: This is worrisome.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mrbojangles25

I saw this. Hope it gets to illustrate on why there is a lot of... hatred... Fact 1: There are no WMDs in Libya. Fact 2: Libya has oil. Fact 3: The US is dependent upon foreign oil. Fact 4: America only "defends" civilians in oil producing countries. Fact 5: The attack on Libya, a sovereign nation, is no different that the attacks on Iraq and Afghanistan. Fact 6: America is quickly becoming an enemy of the entire globe. Either militarily, culturally, or economically. Fact 7: A declining education system is the second step in the move towards fascism. Fact 8: Iran is next. Fact 9: This is part of an Israeli/American plot to keep the promised land safe. Fact 10: This is worrisome.curono

for starters, most of those are theories.

second, so what if they have oil? There is no shame in a mutually beneficial relationship; one country protects another's population from a cruel dictator, while in exchange perhaps getting a good deal on oil in the future. Nobody goes to war simply for the good of it, there are always additional motives.

Third, I find it funny America is singled out in this conflict when A.) people were crying for Western help not more than a month ago "Oh, God, won't someone help the civilians", and B.) Europe, specifically France, initiated outside assistance in Libya. The "World" literallyasked for the the US's help, and we were even hesitant to give it, partly because we already know how the world views our "meddling" in that, errrmmmm, screwed up part of the world.

We stayed out of Egypt. They have oil too, you know, but it was a relatively peaceful revolution, so no military involvement was needed. Again, sort of funny how no one mentions that similar scenario. Maybe, just maybe, do you think the US actually cares about an oppressive regime killing its own people (in addition to other things, of course) versus a peaceful revolution.

You claim the US is becoming an enemy of the entire globe when in truth we are its best friend. The aid we send to all parts of the world eclipses the combined aid the rest of the world sends out by a huge amount. Our contributions to Japan, for example, in money, aid, and work hours is incredible. Keep in mind that we do this during one of the worst economic times in our history, when unemplyoment is around 10% and our debt is incredible.

Declining education? I beg to differ; people still flock to the US for their college degrees, and our universities are among the best in the world. K-12 is debatable in terms of quality, and it varies way too much to give an accurate idea of what is offered, but college/university-level education is the best there is. And all I can do is "lol" at fascism.

Iran "is next?" Last time I checked they also had a brief revolution a few months ago, and we kept out of it. Iran is one of the more progressive Muslim countries in the world; while their leader is a bit crazy, the people are good, and we know this. We had an opportunity to get involved and we stayed out.

Israel might think that, but the US is not a theocracy. We do not believe in a "promised land" despite what a few politicians might say. "Promised land" is what Jewish and Muslim theocracies babble about, fight over, and kill over...the US will do a lot of babbling, fighting, and killing, but never over stupid religious prophecies.

Worrisome? Only if youre the leader of a country and a jerk.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="Urworstnhtmare"]

Espada12

And yet an imitation of each of those programs you are hating on occurs in almost every country that would allow it...

exactly, i.e. Japan

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="BMD004"][QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"]

THUMPTABLE

I don't know, the bible belt is a pretty big area. I'm sure other christains would disagree with you on the same sex couples. Its is obviously argued that it goes against the bible.

its true there are a lot of people out there that dont approve of same-sex relationships. Not denying that. But they do tolerate them. There are problably hundreds of thousands of homosexuals living in the bible belt in relative peace, but thats not fun to hear about on the news. No no, we have to hear about the guy thats gets tied to a fence and left to die.

But they are protected by law, which is a lot more than many other countries can say.

rockerbikie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 rockerbikie
Member since 2010 • 10027 Posts

I see it as Americans forcing English on others. That's the reason.

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
I think what it comes down to is this -- for whatever various reasons non-American people hold, the US isn't especially well liked outside of... well... the US...
chris_yz80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 chris_yz80
Member since 2004 • 1219 Posts

I hanvt read the op but from the topic title, I will sumise it this way. Americas infamy comes from the "we are the best" attitude that your country has. *reading the op now, and will edit this depending on how his argument goes.

Well the OP sums up my point above perfectly, to paraphrase he comes from somewhere where he hasnt had the ability to I suppose express himself as he would in the US, with that being said every other western country in the world has the same freedoms and in many cases the implementation of democracy is better in these countries. From my years on the internet the consenus seems to be that this is not an issue because of A) the military and B) gpd (not including per capita), this leads to the situation where other countries with better living conditions are shut down by a few randoms pushing the stereotype that americans think they are better than everyone else. This is also furthered in your countries catch phrase "god bless america" seriously what is that. In a supposedly secular nation you can't go and say things like that as it forms a basis for religous segregation. Infact this brings me to my last point the bill of rights, the bill of rights is in essence the bible of theUS governent, why is it that a doucment so old forms the basis of all legislation? Yes the ideals within it are generally correct and noble but the world ahs moved on from then, it needs to be altered to take into account themodern world. Yet on this website I have had the bill of rights lorded over me becuase my country doesnt have one, our rights are written into law, there is no difference here, infact I would go so far as to say that its actually better like this becuase these laws can be updated when the status quo changes. All of this contributes towards the "we are the best culture" that forms the basis for Americas infamy.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mrbojangles25

I think what it comes down to is this -- for whatever various reasons non-American people hold, the US isn't especially well liked outside of... well... the US... 67gt500

idunno the libyans seem to like the US :P