Why doesn't the clock ever stop in soccer?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

That baffles me. The clock never stops, so 90 minutes isn't really the end of the game... the refs just add "extra time" to the end and then just stop the game randomly at like 93:37.

It makes no sense to me. Can somebody explain to me how it makes sense and why it is better than simply stopping the clock during certain points in the game and having the game end at 90:00?

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
I don't know for certain, probably due to designated time limits to the match regardless. And that it might be hard to determine exactly when to start and stop the clock, its rather just an estimate of how much time was missed due to unforseen events. Generally though, they don't want to stop the clock when the ball goes out of play or is prepared for a kickoff since that is part of the game. And the total time limit is designed with that in mind. Thats how I see it anyway.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BMD004

I don't know for certain, probably due to designated time limits to the match regardless. And that it might be hard to determine exactly when to start and stop the clock, its rather just an estimate of how much time was missed due to unforseen events. Generally though, they don't want to stop the clock when the ball goes out of play or is prepared for a kickoff since that is part of the game. And the total time limit is designed with that in mind. Thats how I see it anyway.Overlord93
But that still doesn't make sense to me. So the ref's just "estimate" how much time is left and "guess" how much time was lost while the ball wasn't in play? And the only person who knows when the game is going to end is the refs? That makes NO sense.

Literally every other timed sport on earth stops the clock when the ball is not in play... soccer could to.

Wouldn't it make MUCH more sense to stop the game at 90:00 no matter what, and instead of "estimating" time, just stop the clock when the ball goes out of bounds, or for injuries, or after goals are scored, etc. That way, everybody in the stadium knows that the game is going to end at 90:00.. So if you are on the 88th minute, you KNOW you have 2 minutes to score.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e07bdd20ced5
deactivated-5e07bdd20ced5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5e07bdd20ced5
Member since 2010 • 629 Posts
its the rules of the game.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BMD004
its the rules of the game.kbpyrokb
I'm asking for the logic behind it.
Koney89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Koney89
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Doesn't really seem like a big deal at all.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Overlord93
I think its because the ball going out of play is part of the game and the tactics, if it goes out a player can run and throw it back in immediately, or take their time, its all part of the way it works. Footb- Soccer is a more fluid game, it is about continuous play, not the stop and start play of american football. And so having the clock always ticking means that the game moves smoother without pauses.
Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
Imagine how long it would be if it had as many timeouts as the NBA
Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts
Maybe it harks back to the time when the refs didn't have stop-watches to they just used to use the time on their watches, which obviously wouldn't stop when there was a foul so they just added time on in the end by judging how much time was taken when the matches stopped
Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
[QUOTE="kbpyrokb"]its the rules of the game.BMD004

So you know why points are given when the ball goes into the goal? Game rules don't have to be logicaly explainable. Although I say this, I find this rule just as stupid as you. But there are even more stupid rules in soccer that I hate the game for. Don't know what the 'Abseits' rule is called in English but I think it's the most stupid thing as it blocks the most basic strategy of any game of this kind: Getting past the defense for a clean shot.
ramealdabest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ramealdabest
Member since 2008 • 519 Posts

[QUOTE="BMD004"][QUOTE="kbpyrokb"]its the rules of the game.Reptylus

So you know why points are given when the ball goes into the goal? Game rules don't have to be logicaly explainable. Although I say this, I find this rule just as stupid as you. But there are even more stupid rules in soccer that I hate the game for. Don't know what the 'Abseits' rule is called in English but I think it's the most stupid thing as it blocks the most basic strategy of any game of this kind: Getting past the defense for a clean shot.

You mean offiside? I see no problem with it.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BMD004

I think its because the ball going out of play is part of the game and the tactics, if it goes out a player can run and throw it back in immediately, or take their time, its all part of the way it works. Footb- Soccer is a more fluid game, it is about continuous play, not the stop and start play of american football. And so having the clock always ticking means that the game moves smoother without pauses.Overlord93
Just because the clock stops doesn't mean the game stops. For example... in basketball, near the end of the game, the clock stops after a basket is made and then the player has to throw the ball in. The game doesn't slow down because of this...

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BMD004

Imagine how long it would be if it had as many timeouts as the NBABucked20
But they just tack on the time at the end... so what's the point?

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"][QUOTE="kbpyrokb"]its the rules of the game.Reptylus

I'm asking what is the reasoning for just estimating extra time tacked on to the end of 90:00 and just randomly stopping the game after a few minutes. Why do that when you can just stop the clock and end the game at 90:00?

shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#15 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

Because time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin' into the futuuuuuuuuuuure.

DumbPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DumbPanda
Member since 2011 • 379 Posts

It keeps the game flowing -makes people take set pieces quickly, because they know that the clock is ticking. Football is a fast mvong game and if the clock stopped every time someone got fouled or the ball went out of play then it would reduce the quickness of the game.

3eyedrazorback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17 3eyedrazorback
Member since 2005 • 16380 Posts
I'm a ref, so I may be able to explain it. Extra time is determined, amount wise, in large part to stoppage (hence why it is also called stoppage time.) This is for injuries, goals, random stops in play, etc. If there is a significant injury that takes 2-3 minutes out of the game, expect 2-3 minutes to be added on so that the full 45 minutes of that half can be played. That's the logic behind it. Think of it as "stoppage time" instead of extra time, because the time made up is for the time stopped in the middle of the game.
nintendo_ds_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nintendo_ds_06
Member since 2006 • 2657 Posts

That baffles me. The clock never stops, so 90 minutes isn't really the end of the game... the refs just add "extra time" to the end and then just stop the game randomly at like 93:37.

It makes no sense to me. Can somebody explain to me how it makes sense and why it is better than simply stopping the clock during certain points in the game and having the game end at 90:00?

BMD004
Throughout the game there will be various times where the referee has to stop the game (Fouls, Injuries. etc..) but the clock does not stop, so at the end of the game they add on the extra time which was wasted from earlier.
Avatar image for charlesdarwin55
charlesdarwin55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 charlesdarwin55
Member since 2010 • 2651 Posts
Because they don't wanna stop in the middle of an attack
pspdseagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 pspdseagle
Member since 2007 • 3307 Posts
What do you mean what's the point? There are no stops. Thus, the reason for extra time at the end of the 1st & 2nd halfs. If the clock would stop it leave space for US-style advertisements which are absolutely annoying/worthless (see gridiron, 10-15 minutes of actual gameplay, 3 hours long) there also is no modern technology in the game of football (`soccer`) either. It makes the game that much more exciting.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BMD004

It keeps the game flowing -makes people take set pieces quickly, because they know that the clock is ticking. Football is a fast mvong game and if the clock stopped every time someone got fouled or the ball went out of play then it would reduce the quickness of the game.

DumbPanda

That is why I see people flop and take a long time in an effort to waste time? How would stopping the clock so that no time is wasted reduce the quickness of the game? It would speed it up, imo. If you KNOW the game is going to end at 90:00, then teams have a time to shoot for.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"]

nintendo_ds_06

Throughout the game there will be various times where the referee has to stop the game (Fouls, Injuries. etc..) but the clock does not stop, so at the end of the game they add on the extra time which was wasted from earlier.

I know they do that. But I'm asking... why? Why not just STOP the clock for fouls and injuries so that you don't have to add extra time at the end?

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BMD004
What do you mean what's the point? There are no stops. Thus, the reason for extra time at the end of the 1st & 2nd halfs. If the clock would stop it leave space for US-style advertisements which are absolutely annoying/worthless (see gridiron, 10-15 minutes of actual gameplay, 3 hours long) there also is no modern technology in the game of football (`soccer`) either. It makes the game that much more exciting.pspdseagle
What are you talking about? I'm talking about stopping the clock for fouls and injuries, etc. Things that you would add stoppage time for. Then start it back up once play resumes. This is so that there is no need to randomly add extra time at the end of 90:00.
DumbPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DumbPanda

[QUOTE="DumbPanda"]

BMD004

That is why I see people flop and take a long time in an effort to waste time? How would stopping the clock so that no time is wasted reduce the quickness of the game? It would speed it up, imo. If you KNOW the game is going to end at 90:00, then teams have a time to shoot for.

People flop and waste tieme when their team is winning or when they're actually hurt. I mean that it will kep the quickness of the game because they know the clock is ticking towards the end so they don't take their time at set pieces, because if they take their time then there will be less time left.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Overlord93

[QUOTE="nintendo_ds_06"][QUOTE="BMD004"]

BMD004

I know they do that. But I'm asking... why? Why not just STOP the clock for fouls and injuries so that you don't have to add extra time at the end?

Because it is not a stop start game. Simple as that. If they feel any significant amount of time has been missed, they will add it at the end. But it goes against the fluidity to pause the clock every time something happens. Football is a simple game and rules like that would not work.
nintendo_ds_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nintendo_ds_06
Member since 2006 • 2657 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendo_ds_06"][QUOTE="BMD004"]

BMD004

I don't know, I guess they figured that they have been doing it this way since soccer began so why change it now? I have never heard anyone complain about this other than you...
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"]

[QUOTE="nintendo_ds_06"] Throughout the game there will be various times where the referee has to stop the game (Fouls, Injuries. etc..) but the clock does not stop, so at the end of the game they add on the extra time which was wasted from earlier.Overlord93

Because it is not a stop start game. Simple as that. If they feel any significant amount of time has been missed, they will add it at the end. But it goes against the fluidity to pause the clock every time something happens. Football is a simple game and rules like that would not work.

That doesn't make any sense. The game DOES stop and start. The only difference is that the clock keeps running.

I'm asking for the clock to stop when the game stops (examples being fouls and injuries).

I don't know why you think stopping the clock will cause the game to stop and start... it is a time-keeping issue... not a game issue.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Overlord93

[QUOTE="Overlord93"][QUOTE="BMD004"]I know they do that. But I'm asking... why? Why not just STOP the clock for fouls and injuries so that you don't have to add extra time at the end?

BMD004

That doesn't make any sense. The game DOES stop and start. The only difference is that the clock keeps running.

I'm asking for the clock to stop when the game stops (examples being fouls and injuries).

I don't know why you think stopping the clock will cause the game to stop and start... it is a time-keeping issue... not a game issue.

If the clock doesn't stop the game doesn't stop, pressure is still on when the ball goes out. They can't stop for a tea break or some ads, the game is still playing.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"][QUOTE="Overlord93"]Because it is not a stop start game. Simple as that. If they feel any significant amount of time has been missed, they will add it at the end. But it goes against the fluidity to pause the clock every time something happens. Football is a simple game and rules like that would not work.Overlord93

If the clock doesn't stop the game doesn't stop, pressure is still on when the ball goes out. They can't stop for a tea break or some ads, the game is still playing.

There are breaks in the game even if the clock doesn't stop. Plus, the clock basically DOES stop. How? Because they just add that extra time on in the end. So in reality, the clock does stop.

The only difference is that it is only an estimation and the refs can stop the game whenever they want instead of having a hard stop at 90:00.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#30 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
It keeps the game moving. Unlike in American football where everyone is allowed to piss around for 5 minutes for every 10 seconds of play.
CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

It keeps the game moving. Unlike in American football where everyone is allowed to piss around for 5 minutes for every 10 seconds of play.SolidSnake35

Yes it does :)

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
You're getting the exact same amount of game time. What is the issue.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Overlord93

[QUOTE="Overlord93"]

[QUOTE="BMD004"]That doesn't make any sense. The game DOES stop and start. The only difference is that the clock keeps running.

I don't know why you think stopping the clock will cause the game to stop and start... it is a time-keeping issue... not a game issue.BMD004

There are breaks in the game even if the clock doesn't stop. Plus, the clock basically DOES stop. How? Because they just add that extra time on in the end. So in reality, the clock does stop.

The only difference is that it is only an estimation and the refs can stop the game whenever they want instead of having a hard stop at 90:00.

You're looking way to hard into this. this good enough explanation?

DumbPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DumbPanda

It keeps the game moving. Unlike in American football where everyone is allowed to piss around for 5 minutes for every 10 seconds of play.SolidSnake35

Agreed. That's what I thought, but better worded!

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"]

[QUOTE="Overlord93"] If the clock doesn't stop the game doesn't stop, pressure is still on when the ball goes out. They can't stop for a tea break or some ads, the game is still playing.

Overlord93

No, because I'm not comparing it to American Football... why do people think because I'm saying something about soccer I must be comparing it to American Football?

I'm not comparing it to anything.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BMD004

This thread isn't about American football and I'm not trying to compare soccer to it. But having said that, you Brits greatly exaggerate the stopping and starting of an American football game. There is about 15 to 20 seconds between each play.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Overlord93

[QUOTE="Overlord93"]

[QUOTE="BMD004"]There are breaks in the game even if the clock doesn't stop. Plus, the clock basically DOES stop. How? Because they just add that extra time on in the end. So in reality, the clock does stop.

BMD004

No, because I'm not comparing it to American Football... why do people think because I'm saying something about soccer I must be comparing it to American Football?

He talks about having breaks and the stop start game style. Like I have said about 10 different times in this thread. The watch never stops so the game is continuous and doesn't stop.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SolidSnake35

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]It keeps the game moving. Unlike in American football where everyone is allowed to piss around for 5 minutes for every 10 seconds of play.BMD004

This thread isn't about American football and I'm not trying to compare soccer to it. But having said that, you Brits greatly exaggerate the stopping and starting of an American football game. There is about 15 to 20 seconds between each play.

Yeah, that wouldn't be so bad if the plays themselves were longer than 15 seconds.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"]

[QUOTE="Overlord93"]You're looking way to hard into this. this good enough explanation?

Overlord93

He talks about having breaks and the stop start game **** Like I have said about 10 different times in this thread. The watch never stops so the game is continuous and doesn't stop.

But soccer and football are different games. I don't understand what you don't understand. The stopping of the clock in soccer won't cause a stop in play. You're not making any sense..

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"]

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]It keeps the game moving. Unlike in American football where everyone is allowed to piss around for 5 minutes for every 10 seconds of play.SolidSnake35

Yeah, that wouldn't be so bad if the plays themselves were longer than 15 seconds.

You don't understand the game.. and that's ok. Football is all about strategy. You are trying to advance the ball up the field. Between plays, you look at the defensive set and try to read the defense. The game is going on even between the "action". You don't realize this because you don't know how to play the game.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Overlord93

[QUOTE="Overlord93"][QUOTE="BMD004"]No, because I'm not comparing it to American Football... why do people think because I'm saying something about soccer I must be comparing it to American Football?

BMD004

He talks about having breaks and the stop start game **** Like I have said about 10 different times in this thread. The watch never stops so the game is continuous and doesn't stop.

But soccer and football are different games. I don't understand what you don't understand. The stopping of the clock in soccer won't cause a stop in play. You're not making any sense..

:roll: yes it would Oh, lets stop the clock "okay, I'll just go over, chat to my teamate, and discuss tactics with my coach, hmm, I wonder whact I should do here, no worry, I've got plenty of time to think about it" I don't see what you don't understand. The game doesn't stop when the ball goes out. Can you not grasp that?
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"]

[QUOTE="Overlord93"]He talks about having breaks and the stop start game **** Like I have said about 10 different times in this thread. The watch never stops so the game is continuous and doesn't stop.Overlord93

:roll: yes it would Oh, lets stop the clock "okay, I'll just go over, chat to my teamate, and discuss tactics with my coach, hmm, I wonder whact I should do here, no worry, I've got plenty of time to think about it" I don't see what you don't understand. The game doesn't stop when the ball goes out. Can you not grasp that?

You don't get it. I can't believe I have to explain this to you.

1. The ref controls the game. The ref starts the game up when he wants to start the game up. So if you are chatting with your teammates, you better get back on the field because the ref started the game clock again.

2. The game would literally be no different except that the ref wouldn't have to add extra time at the end... the game would stop at 90:00 and that's it.

Kan0nF0dder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kan0nF0dder
Member since 2009 • 1962 Posts

[QUOTE="BMD004"]

[QUOTE="Overlord93"]He talks about having breaks and the stop start game **** Like I have said about 10 different times in this thread. The watch never stops so the game is continuous and doesn't stop.Overlord93

Hence the time-wasting rule....take too long in the ref's eyes over a throw-in or whatever and there's a yellow card coming your way.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SolidSnake35

[QUOTE="Overlord93"][QUOTE="BMD004"]But soccer and football are different games. I don't understand what you don't understand. The stopping of the clock in soccer won't cause a stop in play. You're not making any sense..

BMD004

1. The ref controls the game. The ref starts the game up when he wants to start the game up. So if you are chatting with your teammates, you better get back on the field because the ref started the game clock again.

2. The game would literally be no different except that the ref wouldn't have to add extra time at the end... the game would stop at 90:00 and that's it.

That is what happens in rugby league (and possibly union, I don't know). Rugby has more stoppages, however. In football, unless there's an injury or crowd disturbance, the ball isn't out of play for more than 5 seconds. No one cares about those seconds. If there's a large stop in play, I'm pretty sure the third official times it.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Overlord93

1. The ref controls the game. The ref starts the game up when he wants to start the game up. BMD004

Its not a start stop game. I have said that too many times I'm not even going to bother replying to your posts.

Kan0nF0dder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kan0nF0dder
Member since 2009 • 1962 Posts

[QUOTE="Overlord93"][QUOTE="BMD004"]But soccer and football are different games. I don't understand what you don't understand. The stopping of the clock in soccer won't cause a stop in play. You're not making any sense..

BMD004

The game just flows better, there's no confusion over whether the ref has started the clock or not - time is always ticking, period. It also allows the ref some flexibility. Say a team wins a corner late on, a ref will usually allow it to be taken even if he was about to blow for full-time. If the end of the game isn't a 'dotted line' but a 'hard line' you don't have that, which is potentially unfair and could lead to even more time wasting in competitive football.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts

[QUOTE="BMD004"]

[QUOTE="Overlord93"]You're looking way to hard into this. this good enough explanation?

Overlord93

Omg. How is the game continous? The players stop playing don't they? That is a break.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SolidSnake35

[QUOTE="Overlord93"][QUOTE="BMD004"]No, because I'm not comparing it to American Football... why do people think because I'm saying something about soccer I must be comparing it to American Football?

th3warr1or

Omg. How is the game continous? The players stop playing don't they? That is a break.

Not really. Players are always thinking about positioning even when the ball has left the field of play.
DarkFadi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 DarkFadi
Member since 2007 • 1915 Posts
and how is that a problem? bet if it was your team that given that extra time you wouldnt complain ..or is that not what we talking about here
cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

The logic behind it is that fans watching on television don't want to see commercials every 5 minutes.