Why does it seem like Hip-Hop exclusively has this problem?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SunJian18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SunJian18
Member since 2007 • 1222 Posts

In no other genre of music have I heard of so many prospective and talented artists alike being murdered.  I mean, rock music has some violent lyrics too, rockers are known for doing drugs too, how come they aren't in as much danger as a rapper of getting shot?

I think it's because we continue to try to hybridize and make thug culture synonymous with hip-hop culture, so we create people who feel they have to be aggressive and violent to be successful as a rapper.  The media does nothing to help this, they try to make us as a group of people loving a culture look like savages and low-lifes.  But hip-hop as self doesn't always help itself either, what other genre do you know that was founded on battling other fellow artists?  Ignorance on the part of everyone is to blame I believe, rap is the music and hip-hop is the culture, that's all, it doesn't denote anything about one's intelligence, aggressiveness, inclination to crime, etc.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
cause it's gansta foo'

John Lennon was totally gangsta'
TallicaFan2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 TallicaFan2005
Member since 2005 • 4126 Posts
It's not so much with hip hop. Most of the people being murdered are in poverty, and usually black. I don't think music has anything to do with it.
Squidward117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Squidward117
Member since 2005 • 4374 Posts
What about Nerdcore, yo?
SunJian18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SunJian18

It's not so much with hip hop. Most of the people being murdered are in poverty, and usually black. I don't think music has anything to do with it. TallicaFan2005

But you don't hear about many black R&B singers or Jazz musicians getting shot...

xArKKAAaEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xArKKAAaEX
Member since 2006 • 958 Posts

[QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"]It's not so much with hip hop. Most of the people being murdered are in poverty, and usually black. I don't think music has anything to do with it. SunJian18

But you don't hear about many black R&B singers or Jazz musicians getting shot...

black R&B singers and Jazz muscians typically dont have guns and drugs in their music videos
steppinrazor88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 steppinrazor88
Member since 2006 • 14441 Posts
mabe it's becuz....these "gangsta" rappers aren't really all that gangsta....they mighta been punks when they were growing up...and when someone see's that...they get mad and jealous and go shot that person...or not....i dunno what im talking abut....but i like rap!!!
TallicaFan2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 TallicaFan2005
Member since 2005 • 4126 Posts

[QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"]It's not so much with hip hop. Most of the people being murdered are in poverty, and usually black. I don't think music has anything to do with it. SunJian18

Because it seems to me those types hang out with the more upper class crowd. Rappers, even rich ones, still hang out with "thugs" and thugs breed danger. Some of the smarter guys like Jay Z or NaS would only be murdered out of jealousy. As far as I see both of them are more intellectual and hang out with the right people. People like Tupac, Souljah Slim and let's say C-Murder hung around thugs, dealt with guns and paid the price (C-Murder allegedly committed murder, now serving in prison).
SunJian18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SunJian18
[QUOTE="SunJian18"]

[QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"]It's not so much with hip hop. Most of the people being murdered are in poverty, and usually black. I don't think music has anything to do with it. xArKKAAaEX

black R&B singers and Jazz muscians typically dont have guns and drugs in their music videos

Exactly, but it seems in today's entertainment industy, in order for a rapper to make it they need to be into that kind of thing, that or sell out into that stuff.

BET has literally banned a rap video by the group Little Brother for being "too intelligent".  It's as if they WANT to keep the hip-hop community dumb when you hear things like that.

Headz_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Headz_Up
Member since 2006 • 1221 Posts
[QUOTE="SunJian18"]

[QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"]It's not so much with hip hop. Most of the people being murdered are in poverty, and usually black. I don't think music has anything to do with it. TallicaFan2005

Because it seems to me those types hang out with the more upper class crowd. Rappers, even rich ones, still hang out with "thugs" and thugs breed danger. Some of the smarter guys like Jay Z or NaS would only be murdered out of jealousy. As far as I see both of them are more intellectual and hang out with the right people. People like Tupac, Souljah Slim and let's say C-Murder hung around thugs, dealt with guns and paid the price (C-Murder allegedly committed murder, now serving in prison).

wow.. someone actually knows about soulja slim.. im impressed. Soulja slim was real
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Def_Jef88
Member since 2006 • 17441 Posts
As long as MF Doom, Jay-Z, the X-men, Joe Hahn, or Mike Shinoda dont get shot...
steppinrazor88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 steppinrazor88
Member since 2006 • 14441 Posts
i once shot my friend...with a b.b. gun....he still has the mark on his back....
DrummerJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 DrummerJon
Member since 2004 • 9668 Posts
Well when a part of an industry requires joining a gang to be "cool" you're bound to have issues.
Norg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Norg
Member since 2002 • 15959 Posts
Dude just last year Dimebag got got shot 5 times on stage No music is safe !!!!
SunJian18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SunJian18

Well when a part of an industry requires joining a gang to be "cool" you're bound to have issues.DrummerJon

Yeah, because in the rapper contract you must sign, you are mandated to be in a gang...

Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Def_Jef88

[QUOTE="DrummerJon"]Well when a part of an industry requires joining a gang to be "cool" you're bound to have issues.SunJian18

Yeah, because in the rapper contract you must sign, you are mandated to be in a gang...

of course, its a known fact....

EDIT: oh, and nice concubines :)
SunJian18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SunJian18
[QUOTE="SunJian18"]

[QUOTE="DrummerJon"]Well when a part of an industry requires joining a gang to be "cool" you're bound to have issues.Def_Jef88

:lol:

Yeah, they're like 2000 years old but they're still spring geese in the sack!

Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Def_Jef88
[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="SunJian18"]

[QUOTE="DrummerJon"]Well when a part of an industry requires joining a gang to be "cool" you're bound to have issues.SunJian18

:lol:

Yeah, they're like 2000 years old but they're still spring geese in the sack!

I reacll playing as one in a game, however the game itself was so generic i cant remember.

( Although, in my earlier years i wore the DW 3 disk out.  That game was so much fun )
en-z-io

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 en-z-io
Member since 2004 • 3390 Posts

Sam Cooke and Marvin Gaye ;)
familyguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 familyguy77
Member since 2005 • 2238 Posts

"Heinous crimes help records sell more than creative rhymes" -NaS

That's why. Alot of  rappers feel they need to have this thug image to sell records, and that ends up making them pay the price.

-Iconoclast-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -Iconoclast-
Member since 2005 • 6506 Posts
Because rockers usually end up killing themselves.
scary_snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 scary_snake
Member since 2006 • 4546 Posts
Rage Against the Machine lyrics were violent. sorta. yes. maybe. yep. could be.
bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bigdcstile
Member since 2004 • 2236 Posts
Proof was shot and killed. Pac shot and killed. Biggie shot and killed. They, to some, were the epitome of the so called 'gansta' image. But what about John lennon? Jam Master Jay? Marvin Gaye?
familyguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 familyguy77

Proof was shot and killed. Pac shot and killed. Biggie shot and killed. They, to some, were the epitome of the so called 'gansta' image. But what about John lennon? Jam Master Jay? Marvin Gaye?bigdcstile

Scott La Rock too... He was killed for pretty much no reason.

SunJian18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SunJian18
[QUOTE="SunJian18"]

[QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"]It's not so much with hip hop. Most of the people being murdered are in poverty, and usually black. I don't think music has anything to do with it. en-z-io

Okay, that's 2, you could make a list of probably a dozen rappers or more who got shot the past year.

SunJian18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SunJian18

[QUOTE="bigdcstile"]Proof was shot and killed. Pac shot and killed. Biggie shot and killed. They, to some, were the epitome of the so called 'gansta' image. But what about John lennon? Jam Master Jay? Marvin Gaye?familyguy77

One of the saddest for me was Big L, because he stopped living that life and rapped about going legit and such after his first album "Lifestylez ov da Poor and Dangerous".  And after he was killed you hear these rhymes on The Big Picture.  He was supposedly shot for being mistaken for his brother, and his brother was killed too later.

puremage1209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 puremage1209
Member since 2006 • 1960 Posts
cause it's gansta foo'

John Lennon was totally gangsta'
jrhawk42
lol
familyguy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 familyguy77
[QUOTE="familyguy77"]

[QUOTE="bigdcstile"]Proof was shot and killed. Pac shot and killed. Biggie shot and killed. They, to some, were the epitome of the so called 'gansta' image. But what about John lennon? Jam Master Jay? Marvin Gaye?SunJian18

One of the saddest for me was Big L, because he stopped living that life and rapped about going legit and such after his first album "Lifestylez ov da Poor and Dangerous".  And after he was killed you hear these rhymes on The Big Picture.  He was supposedly shot for being mistaken for his brother, and his brother was killed too later.

Big L's murder was really sad, I agree. He gets shot on the same block he spent most of his life on, and it was a case of mistaken identity to boot:(

bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bigdcstile
[QUOTE="en-z-io"][QUOTE="SunJian18"]

Okay, that's 2, you could make a list of probably a dozen rappers or more who got shot the past year.

A dozen? Overkill. LIke, maybe six or seven.
SunJian18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SunJian18
[QUOTE="SunJian18"][QUOTE="en-z-io"][QUOTE="SunJian18"]

[QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"]It's not so much with hip hop. Most of the people being murdered are in poverty, and usually black. I don't think music has anything to do with it. bigdcstile

Okay, that's 2, you could make a list of probably a dozen rappers or more who got shot the past year.

A dozen? Overkill. LIke, maybe six or seven.

Like I said, a dozen.

tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts

Every music genre has its problems, look at black metal, its been known that most black metal bands has been involve with church burnings and such, maybe other bands too but not sure.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts
Because the musicians lead dangerous life-styles.  It's as simple as that.
KingJustinII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KingJustinII
Member since 2005 • 1938 Posts
because rappers are blackxArKKAAaEX

about to be sig'd :D
SunJian18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SunJian18

[QUOTE="xArKKAAaEX"]because rappers are blackKingJustinII

about to be sig'd :D

I'm about to put the "That's Racist" kid back in my sig too...

halfnaked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 halfnaked
Member since 2005 • 1450 Posts
listen to some hip-hop/rap songs, usually the songs are talking about one of four subjects or some combined: money, sex, violence, drugs. i hope this helped
mark4091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mark4091
Member since 2007 • 3780 Posts
rock stars tend to die in weird ways (usually ODing), rappers tend to be shot because the tick someone off when rapping.
bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bigdcstile
listen to some hip-hop/rap songs, usually the songs are talking about one of four subjects or some combined: money, sex, violence, drugs. i hope this helpedhalfnaked
Wow. Somehow I just listened to 15 straight songs from the genre and none of them were like that.
halfnaked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 halfnaked
Member since 2005 • 1450 Posts
[QUOTE="halfnaked"]listen to some hip-hop/rap songs, usually the songs are talking about one of four subjects or some combined: money, sex, violence, drugs. i hope this helpedbigdcstile
Wow. Somehow I just listened to 15 straight songs from the genre and none of them were like that.

your right, but for the most part, especially in mainstream rap/hip-hop music, the lyrics and the message in the songs are just plain trashy.
bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 bigdcstile
[QUOTE="bigdcstile"][QUOTE="halfnaked"]listen to some hip-hop/rap songs, usually the songs are talking about one of four subjects or some combined: money, sex, violence, drugs. i hope this helpedhalfnaked

your right, but for the most part, especially in mainstream rap/hip-hop music, the lyrics and the message in the songs are just plain trashy.

The lyrics in mainstream anything is gonna either be trashy or completely inane, though. That's the novelty of it. So to single out Hip hop is just kind of unnecessary.
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
It is because the rap industry has a relationship with drugs, gang and violence. Its unfortunate, but hip hop got a big push into the main stream through laundered money. In essense the foundation of hiphop has been built on this culture, and it is hard to change that.

You should watch the video on youtube by Napoleon, one of the guys who toured with 2Pac.
cantname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cantname
Member since 2004 • 319 Posts
because rappers are blackxArKKAAaEX
racist ass motherfu****...