Why do you like or dislike screaming in music?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crue7x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 crue7x2
Member since 2006 • 238 Posts

I cant stand screaming in music...but I do love the way Sebastian bach screams. He makes it sound charged with emotion and musical at the same time.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=y_wWSw51zKk

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#152 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
[QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]

@pianist: what about progressive metal?

pianist

Link me. I imagine it will be much like most metal - boundless energy, but not much direction on account of boundless energy.

this isnt progressive metal, but since you seem in an adventurous mood, check it out. they build and then bring down the energy of the song all while mixing in variations to the themes part 1 and part 2. theyre no beethovens(but who are?), but still a fun listen.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

So what I was asking if their existed any musicians, in your mind, that possessed creativity or musical skill that aren't classical composers?

Or is skillful musical composition exclusive to the "classical" variety of music?

Kritical_Strike

There are countless jazz musicians who demonstrate both skillful composition and performance virtuosity that DEMANDS respect. I don't like jazz at all, but the genre has hosted a wide range of incredibly talented musicians. Their style of composition is much different, though, in that it is highly improvisatory.

And frankly, I think that most professional musicians of any genre possess musical skill and a degree of creativity - but to say that they have the skill to write in the cIassical style or the creativity to break new musical ground in the way that cIassical revolutionaries did on the basis of what they present to the public is absurd. Arguing that any Western genre has matched cIassical music with respect to compositional sophistication is absurd. And that is why I stand by the claim that cIassical musicians demonstrate greater skill than composers of popular music. Maybe these popular musicians do have the skill to write music that can match the ingenuity you find in Beethoven, Mozart or Brahms's output - but until they do so, I'm not buying it.

Performance is very much the same. The virtuosic demands placed on a cIassical musician - entailing raw technical control, interpretational control, control of subtlety - are approached (and even exceeded for certain instruments) only by jazz in the Western world. Lots of people are amazed by the fast scales and arpeggios that frequently appear in metal music, little realizing that the 'boring' slow movement of Beethoven's Hammerklavier sonata is in a totally different world of technical virtuosity... just not the sort that hits you in the face with a 2x4.

skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#155 skullkrusher13
Member since 2004 • 8629 Posts

Link me. I imagine it will be much like most metal - boundless energy, but not much direction on account of boundless energy.

pianist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGLcbM7T17U

Zaeryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#156 Zaeryn
Member since 2005 • 9070 Posts
[QUOTE="Zaeryn"][QUOTE="OfficialBed"][QUOTE="Zaeryn"][QUOTE="OfficialBed"]

[QUOTE="Zaeryn"]It's crap because it IS. Tell me what's good about that band. What is there to appreciate? Screaming? Repeated guitaring? Mediocore vocals (or whining) when they actually stop screaming? Sorry dude, this is not good music.OfficialBed

lol...sure thing bud....everything is good with the band....they have such a sweet sound....and yes, their screaming is awesome...and i'm sure tons of their fans will disagree with you too.....if a band was that bad....why would they have such a huge fanbase?....obviously they are well liked...nice try though

They're huge because that scene is huge nowdays and probably a lot of advertising and marketing. Being well-known doesn't necessarily make them good. Look at Simple-Plan or something. I don't appreciate DDG, since I like music with more substance than that. Don't get me wrong, I listen to screaming-music every now and then, but I just can't like that stuff. But it's hard to argue over musical tastes and opinions and preferences and all of that anyways, so I don't have a problem with anybody liking them if that's what they like, I'm just saying I sure as hell don't think they're any good, but that's my opinion.

saying you don't think they're good and saying they're crap is totally different

I guess you're right about that. I was just explaining how I think that band is bad. It doesn't bother me what anybody listens to, that's just my opinion on the band. I like SOME screamo, but on a scale of talent, I strongly believe that band is on the low side. But anybody could say the same about my music, since it's just opinions. But anyways, I'm done here. We can't really say much since it's just music opinions, and fights over music never go too well. I just think that band is on the very low side of talent for that genre and music overall. Doesn't pain me if anybody likes it, people all have different tastes.

ya...these things could go on forever....you don't like their music and i love it....end of story lol...it was just annoying to hear you say they were crap just because you don't like them....what music are you into anyway?

Kinda late to reply since I took a shower and did some homework, but me, I'm into a lot of stuff. Punk, metal, rock, hell... even screamo from time to time. DDG isn't a good band to me, but I don't mind that type of music, just the band. Rise Against is probably my favorite band. I'm pretty much into anything though, as long as it sounds good. Can't really pick out a certain band or type of music since I listen to so much, but I bet quite a bit of what you listen to, I probably will too.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 pianist

skullkrusher13

Thanks, dude. It is pretty much what I expected it to be. There are a couple of effective alterations to the energy (especially in the 7 and a half minute area), but they're too few and far between for my tastes. Too much of it sounds the same. Part of that has to do with the generally consistent texture, but actually more of it has to do with the motivic repetition. People who know me well know that is one of my biggest pet peeves about all popular music.

freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#158 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
Can't Stand it
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
[QUOTE="OfficialBed"][QUOTE="Zaeryn"][QUOTE="OfficialBed"][QUOTE="Zaeryn"][QUOTE="OfficialBed"]

[QUOTE="Zaeryn"]It's crap because it IS. Tell me what's good about that band. What is there to appreciate? Screaming? Repeated guitaring? Mediocore vocals (or whining) when they actually stop screaming? Sorry dude, this is not good music.Zaeryn

lol...sure thing bud....everything is good with the band....they have such a sweet sound....and yes, their screaming is awesome...and i'm sure tons of their fans will disagree with you too.....if a band was that bad....why would they have such a huge fanbase?....obviously they are well liked...nice try though

They're huge because that scene is huge nowdays and probably a lot of advertising and marketing. Being well-known doesn't necessarily make them good. Look at Simple-Plan or something. I don't appreciate DDG, since I like music with more substance than that. Don't get me wrong, I listen to screaming-music every now and then, but I just can't like that stuff. But it's hard to argue over musical tastes and opinions and preferences and all of that anyways, so I don't have a problem with anybody liking them if that's what they like, I'm just saying I sure as hell don't think they're any good, but that's my opinion.

saying you don't think they're good and saying they're crap is totally different

I guess you're right about that. I was just explaining how I think that band is bad. It doesn't bother me what anybody listens to, that's just my opinion on the band. I like SOME screamo, but on a scale of talent, I strongly believe that band is on the low side. But anybody could say the same about my music, since it's just opinions. But anyways, I'm done here. We can't really say much since it's just music opinions, and fights over music never go too well. I just think that band is on the very low side of talent for that genre and music overall. Doesn't pain me if anybody likes it, people all have different tastes.

ya...these things could go on forever....you don't like their music and i love it....end of story lol...it was just annoying to hear you say they were crap just because you don't like them....what music are you into anyway?

Kinda late to reply since I took a shower and did some homework, but me, I'm into a lot of stuff. Punk, metal, rock, hell... even screamo from time to time. DDG isn't a good band to me, but I don't mind that type of music, just the band. Rise Against is probably my favorite band. I'm pretty much into anything though, as long as it sounds good. Can't really pick out a certain band or type of music since I listen to so much, but I bet quite a bit of what you listen to, I probably will too.

rise against is pretty good...keep in mind i like other types of music too....i love tokyo police club and rise against!....but i doubt you listen to most of the same stuff i listen to....click my myspace link in my sig to see what i listen to

AxeStrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 AxeStrangler
Member since 2007 • 1889 Posts

hey pianist, why don't you check out the band called Dream Theater if you haven't heard of them yet. Particularly the song Learning to Live http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1ogfdsOyo&feature=related

skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 skullkrusher13
[QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]

pianist

Thanks, dude. It is pretty much what I expected it to be. There are a couple of effective alterations to the energy (especially in the 7 and a half minute area), but they're too few and far between for my tastes. Too much of it sounds the same. Part of that has to do with the generally consistent texture, but actually more of it has to do with the motivic repetition. People who know me well know that is one of my biggest pet peeves about all popular music.

I'm sure there's a metal band out there you'd enjoy. If only someone with more knowledge on the subject could help me out...

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 pianist

I'm sure there's a metal band out there you'd enjoy. If only someone with more knowledge on the subject could help me out...

skullkrusher13

To be honest, I don't hate metal music. I like listening to it more than I like listening to jazz (though I feel the great jazz musicians are completely superior performers). But I wouldn't go out of my way to seek out new music in the field, and I doubt that will change unless the genre itself changes to eliminate its dependence on repetitive motives. The thing I find with metal music is that there are certain moments in the music that are striking, but by and large, the piece does very little for me. In that way, it is very much like opera to me, except in the case of opera, the individual moments are entire movements, and I can find them and enjoy them without having to listen to the bulk of the opera, which I don't really enjoy.

AxeStrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 AxeStrangler
Member since 2007 • 1889 Posts

hey pianist, why don't you check out the band called Dream Theater if you haven't heard of them yet. Particularly the song Learning to Live http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k1ogfdsOyo&feature=related

AxeStrangler
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 pianist
[QUOTE="AxeStrangler"]

AxeStrangler

:lol:

I didn't miss it - but I'll have to get back to this tomorrow or something. I need sleep.

ciredude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#165 ciredude
Member since 2004 • 2524 Posts

Screaming is awesome in music when it's well done and appropriately placed. Case in point:

Won't Get Fooled Again- The Who

Opiate- Tool

The End- The Doors

gasmaskman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#166 gasmaskman
Member since 2005 • 3463 Posts

Pianist, I'm interested in your take on a band like Isis. They mainly use chord progressions to build towards an aggressive climax, sort of a release of energy you describe.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
If it doesn't involve demonic growling it isn't worth listening to.
dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts

first of all; there are lots of vocal styles that can be considered "screaming"m abd it seems like lots of people are confused as to what is screaming, and what isn't, so i'll try and list all the "screaming"vocal styles i can think of;

just plan screaming- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVc-05f3mZ0

Death growls- low pitched, mid pitched, high pitched

Black Metal shrieks

Falsetto

Thrash metal vocals

operatic vocals

and to pianist, if your feeling up to it, your should check out these songs, i think you might enjoy them; In the shadow of our pale companion pt. 1, pt. 2. Gargoyles, angels of darkness pt. 1, pt. 2. and The Moon (this song has a couple of parts inspired, and taken right from Beethoven) pt 1, pt2.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#169 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
Depends whether or not it's musical. It's singing if they do it right. It's only screaming if it has no relation to the music, in terms of tone or rythm.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
It depends on the music. A well placed scream can add a huge emotional punch, but screaming for the sake of screaming is just annoying, and gives off the impression that you're trying to cover up your ****ty vocals.
Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Thechaninator
Member since 2005 • 5187 Posts
[QUOTE="Thechaninator"]

It seems lke you are dismissing it when it can be quite effective. I think the problem is there are way too many bands who don't use screaming well or who simply can't do the style of vocals effectively.

A personal fav of mine is Opeth. Their ****of vocals alternate between clean singing and frightening growls. The thing is they have a thing for balancing beauty with the horror and the clean and growling vocals follow respectively.

Really, I find Opeth to be such an amazing band because they are somewhat of a missing link between metal and ****cal music. They write longer songs than most bands and they have actual movements in the song that amount to way more than a verse chorus verse sort of thing. They also incorporate different **** into their music which is also entertaining.

That being said, I do agree that there are definitely things bands should utilize more often rather than just loud noise and screaming.

More bands need to use techniques like in One Winged Angel by Nobuo Uematsu. Hes the one composer right now who can actually find his way onto my playlist.

Oh and FYI Nobuou Uematsu has proven that ****cal music can make it into the mainstream. His work on the Final Fantasy games is quite popular and the Final Fantasy 7 soundtrack is the all-time best selling game soundtrack.

pianist

You know, I very much agree with your initial statement. The problem with screaming IS usually that it is not used properly, because there are countless examples of how effective a massive sound can be. If it were employed more logically to achieve formal cohesion rather than a simple effect, I would probably find it more compelling. But I have yet to hear an example of screaming in rock or metal music that played such a role. The only purpose it seems to have is to be loud, and frankly that is not necessary at all, because drum sets and electric guitars are loud to begin with. The screaming is continuous and does nothing at all to heighten climax points or bring out a particularly important point in the lyrics, because the whole damn thing is performed like it's a climax point. And growls will never do it for me. I find them laughable whenever I encounter them. For me, they add nothing but unintentional humour to a piece of music. Same goes for shrieking.

About Opeth - it's decent! There's some nice contrast going on here. But too much of it is still dominated by that loud, aggressive sound, and there weren't any transition points that particularly moved me. What it really 'needs' is dynamic contrast within those loud sections. Crescendos and diminuendos would add so much to the writing. Conversely, swells in sound within the softer section would have made a great deal to that writing. I just don't understand why so many popular musicians avoid dynamic contrast like the plague, except between sections. And I really think this song lost its way shortly after the soft material ended. Such a great contrast between loud and soft in the first few minutes... and then nothing.

As for Uematsu, he is not a cIassical composer, and it's really no surprise that his music is popular, because it ascribes to techniques used by popular music composers, and is just as easy to appreciate. Lots of people make the mistake of assuming composers like Uematsu or Lloyd Weber write cIassical music. They don't. There's more to writing cIassical music than using orchestral instruments.

Well if Uematsu isn't technically ****cal, then look at Jush Groban. He is pretty popular and I do believe he is a ****cal singer.

And about Opeth, if you really don't like the heavy stuff they have plenty of lighter material. If you're ever interested I can point you to some of their softer stuff. I love that band alot so I am always happy to get people into them. They prove just how good metal can be when there is more to it than just guitar and screaming.

mastersword007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 mastersword007
Member since 2005 • 6630 Posts
I dont mind it every once in awhile, especially if its in just one part of the song. But if its screaming throughout the entire song I dont care for it.HillyBilly

Same here
Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#173 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts
[QUOTE="bangell99"]

I don't like screaming in my music. It tends to ruin good songs. I can tolerate a little bit, but it's just retarded.

Juneau, for instance. Ruined.

StevenCrockett6

That version of the song is actually the original version called 'Juno'. They released the lighter version as 'Juneau' which was on their first proper album.

You should hear their early stuff, it's friggin awesome.

Hey, don't get me wrong - FFAF are my favourite band! I love One for the Road and Recovery best.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts

A well placed scream can add a huge emotional punch.PBSnipes

Yeah that's for sure! I recently started listening to Red Jumpsuit Apparatus and in the song "Face Down," my favorite part is the screaming-ish part about 2/3 through the song.

Anyway, if Children of Bodom and Bring Me The Horizon count as "screaming," then I guess I really like screaming. :P

Snipe_You_Out

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#175 Snipe_You_Out
Member since 2006 • 2707 Posts
It depends, if its a mellow song then no screaming is a plus, but if its something like hard rock then I can tollerate it:P
H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 H8sMikeMoore
Member since 2008 • 5427 Posts

you know i really dont know why i like it...i guess im just into heavy music which screamo music is, if music is too light it seriously makes me uncomfortable and hurts my earslinkin_guy109

screamo music heavy? wow i must be out of the loop or something

D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts
[QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]

@pianist: what about progressive metal?

pianist

The Mars Volta are considered by some to be progessive metal. They have the energy of metal but no musical technique as it's all composed by Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and he learned to play music by switching instruments with his family every night when they would get together and jam.

He just plays for like 10 days straight and makes an album out of it :?

I don't think they can really be classified.

Alaarajab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#178 Alaarajab
Member since 2008 • 129 Posts
I really don't like songs that guys just start screaming like kiss because it's really irritating and pointless. A couple of guys screaming in a microphone. First of all you can't here anything and second why would you pay for a couple of guys screaming in a mic you can do that yourself. I really can't listen to bands that just start screaming for no reason it's really annoying and pointless.
Vfanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Vfanek
Member since 2006 • 7719 Posts
What better way to express hate and aggression than to use heavily distorted sounds? Distorted guitars, death growls, shrieks, blast beats.. it all contributes to the atmosphere of the music. Even Attila's near inhuman vocal style adds a certain.. depth to the music, Ordo Ad Chao is genius if you can fully appreciate it.
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 OfficialBed

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]A well placed scream can add a huge emotional punch.Forerunner-117

Yeah that's for sure! I recently started listening to Red Jumpsuit Apparatus and in the song "Face Down," my favorite part is the screaming-ish part about 2/3 through the song.

Anyway, if Children of Bodom and Bring Me The Horizon count as "screaming," then I guess I really like screaming. :P

bring me the horizon is insane....i love them

Premier1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Premier1101
Member since 2008 • 13515 Posts
Im not into screaming too much if I cant understand what they are saying, but I cant stand wailing more (Dragonforce singer),(but I still love Herman Li!)
Robertoey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Robertoey
Member since 2005 • 1996 Posts
I don't think you can put the words "screaming" and "music" in the same sentence.
m4gicm4rty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 m4gicm4rty
Member since 2007 • 475 Posts
Often the screaming is devoid of any musical talent and ruins what would be decent melodies. In small amounts its tollerable.
bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#184 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
I don't hate it, but i'd rather hear actual lyrics than have to try to make out what the person's saying.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

Often the screaming is devoid of any musical talentm4gicm4rty

Where do you people come up with this stuff?

CrimzonTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 CrimzonTide
Member since 2007 • 12187 Posts
go stand in the mirror and try to death metal growl like karl saunders or george fisher.....aint easy, is it? and they have shredding guitars.....its all TALENT.....and its an aquired taste. dEtHsLaYeR
And this has what to do with the fact I don't like it?
Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#187 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
I really don't know why i like screaming in music, just about 99% of my songs consist of screaming. I just got into it around the 7th grade.
Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts

[QUOTE="Lief_Ericson"]Its great and gets you pumped and expresses the music better OfficialBed

thank you!....and btw.....arsonists get all the girls is amazing!

Yeah they are so good too bad Pat died :(

dEtHsLaYeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#189 dEtHsLaYeR
Member since 2007 • 681 Posts
[QUOTE="dEtHsLaYeR"]

[QUOTE="CrimzonTide"][QUOTE="cjek"]I think it detracts from the music, and is completely pointless and irritating. It's even less creative than most modern rap.Cerussite

I will also add that it rends my ears and gives me headaches.

go stand in the mirror and try to death metal growl like karl saunders or george fisher.....aint easy, is it?

and they have shredding guitars.....its all TALENT.....and its an aquired taste.

Growling isn't hard...

for most everyone, its not easy. I cant even do it myself.

Avatar image for paper_heart1215
paper_heart1215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#190 paper_heart1215
Member since 2008 • 209 Posts

I like it. It only works if it fits the band, if they're just trying to be hardcore I'm not a fan.

I'm not sure why I just think I've gotten used to it.

Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts

[QUOTE="PBSnipes"]A well placed scream can add a huge emotional punch.Forerunner-117

Bring Me the Horizon is so good ive seen them live

Donkey_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Donkey_Puncher
Member since 2005 • 5083 Posts

I just don't like it, plain and simple. If they scream, it means they can't sing.

dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts

I just don't like it, plain and simple. If they scream, it means they can't sing.

Donkey_Puncher

Jari Maenpaa, Mikael Akerfeldt, Joe Duplantier, aswell as many others disagree :|

skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 skullkrusher13

hopefully pianist comes back, his generalization about metal is still not sitting well with me.

I have a list of bands that refute his claim.

Deathspell Omega

Mare

Negura Bunget

The Pax Cecilia.

uneXpect.

Between the Buried and Me

Napster06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#195 Napster06
Member since 2004 • 5659 Posts
I don't mind if its short. But if the whole thing is screamo, its noise, not music
msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 msudude211
Member since 2006 • 44517 Posts

I don't mind if its short. But if the whole thing is screamo, its noise, not musicNapster06

Agreed. It's just noise.

killer_is_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 killer_is_me
Member since 2007 • 1939 Posts
i like it every now in then..... but i listen to music other than to hear people scream
Buffalo_Soulja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Buffalo_Soulja
Member since 2004 • 13151 Posts

I'm indifferent. I rarely pay attention to vocals.

I don't care if it's noise. I listen to enough minimalism and no-wave nonsense to be desensitised to screaming.

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 OfficialBed

I don't think you can put the words "screaming" and "music" in the same sentence.Robertoey

...you just did

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 OfficialBed
[QUOTE="OfficialBed"]

[QUOTE="Lief_Ericson"]Its great and gets you pumped and expresses the music better Lief_Ericson

thank you!....and btw.....arsonists get all the girls is amazing!

Yeah they are so good too bad Pat died :(

i know dude....it sucks...i'm actually listening to "save the castle, screw the princess" at the moment