Why do you like or dislike screaming in music?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

musicaz70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#51 musicaz70
Member since 2007 • 1949 Posts

The only band I REALLY like that screams (And is under half of their lyrical content) is The Fall Of Troy. Plus, the singer goes CRAZY, sings in AMAZING pitches, screams actually good, and plays tricky riffs on the Geetar all on stage. He puts talent and creativity into Screamo rock. (Btw, if you look for them after reading this, check out their first and second album first, the third is so-so...)

hokies1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 hokies1313
Member since 2005 • 13919 Posts
I don't consider screaming to be music, anyone can scream words, but that's not considered singing in my opinion. I hate it basically.
Fire_Ants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 Fire_Ants
Member since 2005 • 4256 Posts

This is what I like

Also like this.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#54 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

I enjoy screaming because it portrays a better atmosphere and suits extreme metal very well. High pitched vocals and metal comes across as extremely cheesy and I can't be bothered to listen to it unless it's well done like Iron Maiden. Plus, Abbath's and Varg's vocals are very well done. I love them. Demilich has great vocals too.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I dislike screaming. But shrieking and growling is what I'm talking about,

maccer101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55 maccer101
Member since 2005 • 4257 Posts
i like it, its good when certain musicians do it anyway
martialbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 martialbullet
Member since 2006 • 10948 Posts
if it's done well then yes, I would
Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57 Thechaninator
Member since 2005 • 5187 Posts

Examples of good screaming:

Chimaira-Ressurection

Avenged Sevenfold-I Won't See You Tonight Part 2 (listen to part 1 for the contrast. Part 1 is soft and sad as it is from the point of view of the person who comitted suicide and then Part 2 has the screaming to represent the anger of those friends who now have to deal with the loss)

Drowning Pool-Bodies (Such a tragedy the singer died after only 1 album. This band really had such amazing potential thanks to him.)

Mudvayne-Dig

Of course there are growl which can be great also, but Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth is the only one I can think of who I really enjoy them from.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts

Most of the music I listen to is about half-screamed. It's definitely an aqcuired taste but...once you're used to it you like it just as much as singing. If it's you're thing. I think it's some nice variety once you're used to it.OfficialJab

i really like screamo, idk its like a release of emotions, my favorite scremo band is probabley silverstein. Bleeds No More is an awesome song.

darksword1123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 darksword1123
Member since 2004 • 30121 Posts
I hate screaming in music....just not my taste.
dEtHsLaYeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#60 dEtHsLaYeR
Member since 2007 • 681 Posts
I like the deep metal screaming....i like the deep frequency....i hate the emo screaming, though.....its so.....obnoxious
DiabeticDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#61 DiabeticDood
Member since 2005 • 4331 Posts
It's actually mostly what I listen to. Yeah it's better when they mix the two (Opeth, ect) but I love them both equally.
luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
I can tolerate it in small quantities, but not for too long. Constant screaming is really not my cup of tea.
NearTheEnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 NearTheEnd
Member since 2002 • 12184 Posts

The only band I ever listen to is infest.

http://www.myspace.com/infestband

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
because it hurts my ears.
fmacraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 fmacraze
Member since 2007 • 5658 Posts

chester Bennington screaming is wat i like... nothing else...

CrimzonTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#66 CrimzonTide
Member since 2007 • 12187 Posts
I think it detracts from the music, and is completely pointless and irritating. It's even less creative than most modern rap.cjek
I will also add that it rends my ears and gives me headaches.
Fiji-Water

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Fiji-Water
Member since 2008 • 933 Posts

i dont like it because they are screaming....

screaming isnt pleasant...and music is supposed to be pleasant

PickGlove243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 PickGlove243
Member since 2007 • 3144 Posts

I don't mind screaming if it's done well.

I can't stand the vocalist in Circle Takes the Square, but I love City of Caterpillar's vocalist. Both bands that utilize screaming.

Cerussite

City of Caterpillar is awesome. I agree.

I also think I Hate Myself is one of the best screamo bands. I do like screaming in music.

zeppelin_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#70 zeppelin_64
Member since 2006 • 3924 Posts
I like it. I don't know why, I liked it in Grade 6, and then lost it because of my friends liking of 80's rock, but now, 3 years later, I'm back into it and don't give a **** what they think.
Avatar image for Mercury_May2112
Mercury_May2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Mercury_May2112
Member since 2007 • 2507 Posts
Depends on the song. I'm not a fan of screamo. But The Great Gig In The Sky's screaming was very effective.
dEtHsLaYeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#72 dEtHsLaYeR
Member since 2007 • 681 Posts

[QUOTE="cjek"]I think it detracts from the music, and is completely pointless and irritating. It's even less creative than most modern rap.CrimzonTide

go stand in the mirror and try to death metal growl like karl saunders or george fisher.....aint easy, is it?

and they have shredding guitars.....its all TALENT.....and its an aquired taste.

Cerussite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Cerussite
Member since 2007 • 3084 Posts

[QUOTE="CrimzonTide"][QUOTE="cjek"]I think it detracts from the music, and is completely pointless and irritating. It's even less creative than most modern rap.dEtHsLaYeR

go stand in the mirror and try to death metal growl like karl saunders or george fisher.....aint easy, is it?

and they have shredding guitars.....its all TALENT.....and its an aquired taste.

Growling isn't hard...
Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts
Its great and gets you pumped and expresses the music better
kylekatarn10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#75 kylekatarn10
Member since 2005 • 2818 Posts
I'm partial to Grunting and Shrieking, but Screaming (from like a lot of metalcore and screamo) is not really my thing.
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
i'm into everything, metal "gerrr"s and "bohhhh"s, and bands like billy talent who scream/shout the lyrics (eg. this is how it goes)
filiwian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#77 filiwian
Member since 2007 • 2232 Posts
The only kind of screaming I like is from Linkin Park, anything other than that I wouldn't like it. Not really a big fan of hardcore rock since it's constant screaming.
Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts

I don't really care for it. I mean, people can listen to what they want, but I've just never liked the sound of screaming. Plus, the instrumental music is too hard for my tastes. I mean, I don't particularly dislike this type of music, it's just that I've never been into it.

That's also part of the reason I don't like rap (which I would actually say is the only style of music I actually hate). The electronic beats and such are just SO HIDEOUS, but on-topic, it's the stupid chanting instead of singing. I guess singing is just important for me in music (because a good singing voice sounds awesome, screaming is OK maybe if not overdone, but I still don't like it and chanting is just like, sounds terrible and has no talent involved)

inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
I enjoy a little bit in my music, not a hardcore screamo guy but definitely appreciate it, the farthest i will go is underoath
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts
I dislike it because there are far more effective ways of creating tension in music. It's a technique that untalented musicians use to try to cover up the fact that they can not express certain emotions with purely musical development alone. People who think that you can not evoke a powerful sense of anger or distress without screaming are sorely mistaken. And people who think that tension can only be created by loud noise are sorely mistaken too.
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#81 skullkrusher13
Member since 2004 • 8629 Posts

The only kind of screaming I like is from Linkin Park, anything other than that I wouldn't like it. Not really a big fan of hardcore rock since it's constant screaming. filiwian

I was exactly like you when I was 14.

Anyways, I don't like screaming, I like growling, and a mix of shrieks. Screamo = gives me a headache. Death metal = great.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Usycd2jnKk (one of my favorite vocalists)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
Music should be good when first heard.
Avatar image for orangeturtle472
OrangeTurtle472

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 OrangeTurtle472
Member since 2007 • 2636 Posts
because it's not music. It's screaming.
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 skullkrusher13

I dislike it because there are far more effective ways of creating tension in music. It's a technique that untalented musicians use to try to cover up the fact that they can not express certain emotions with purely musical development alone. People who think that you can not evoke a powerful sense of anger or distress without screaming are sorely mistaken. And people who think that tension can only be created by loud noise are sorely mistaken too.pianist

can you link me to angry music w/o screaming? Sounds interesting.

KG86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 KG86
Member since 2007 • 6021 Posts
I can't stand it.
Helloiseeu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#86 Helloiseeu
Member since 2007 • 786 Posts
Depends which types of screaming. Some is good but, you have to get it in a right quanitiy. If you got scream stop scream stop etc. Then thats not so good. But, if you got lot scream or all scream then thats all good.
Avatar image for orangeturtle472
OrangeTurtle472

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 OrangeTurtle472
Member since 2007 • 2636 Posts
this is why i don't like Devil may Cry. It has this music...
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 skullkrusher13

this is why i don't like Devil may Cry. It has this music...amirbrandon

I've only played the demo, and it had awful goth music. Didn't hear any screaming though..

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 pianist

[QUOTE="pianist"]I dislike it because there are far more effective ways of creating tension in music. It's a technique that untalented musicians use to try to cover up the fact that they can not express certain emotions with purely musical development alone. People who think that you can not evoke a powerful sense of anger or distress without screaming are sorely mistaken. And people who think that tension can only be created by loud noise are sorely mistaken too.skullkrusher13

Look up the scherzo movement of Brahms's C minor piano quartet or the scherzo of his Piano quintet, the third movement of Beethoven's Moonlight sonata, or the Dies Irae movement of Verdi's requiem, or the fifth movement of Mahler's Resurrection Symphony... shall I go on? There are countless examples of 'angry' or ferocious writing in genres that do not involve screaming. But in cIassical music, the moments tend to be isolated, because composers of the genre tended to prefer exploring a variety of emotions throughout a composition, rather than fixating on one.

I'd recommend you avoid the usual source (i.e. Youtube) for these, as their power is usually lost due to crappy recording. Your best bet would be to actually attend a performance involving one of these works - but failing that, a decent, professionally produced recording should give you an idea of what can be accomplished without screaming. If you want to look at something right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW1Uc-grcMs

That's Verdi. And no, they aren't screaming. That's just a big ass choir singing dissonant harmony fortissimo.

Fiji-Water

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Fiji-Water
Member since 2008 • 933 Posts

[QUOTE="pianist"]I dislike it because there are far more effective ways of creating tension in music. It's a technique that untalented musicians use to try to cover up the fact that they can not express certain emotions with purely musical development alone. People who think that you can not evoke a powerful sense of anger or distress without screaming are sorely mistaken. And people who think that tension can only be created by loud noise are sorely mistaken too.skullkrusher13

well I know a ton but they are rap so im guessing your not interested.....but youve seriosuly thought up till this point that only way you could express anger in music is through screaming?

Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#91 Shiggums
Member since 2007 • 21436 Posts
I don't like it, mostly because screaming is unpleasant, any way, shape, or form
geraldwillkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 geraldwillkill
Member since 2005 • 1134 Posts
[QUOTE="dEtHsLaYeR"]

[QUOTE="CrimzonTide"][QUOTE="cjek"]I think it detracts from the music, and is completely pointless and irritating. It's even less creative than most modern rap.Cerussite

Growling isn't hard...

YES it is, try it loud not just a quiet growl and record yourself, youll find out its harder than it seems

The_Zoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 The_Zoid
Member since 2006 • 59984 Posts
Rarely for me, though a few songs I listen to have it. I love Howard Jones' screaming Killswitch Engage though.
rosesforever89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 rosesforever89
Member since 2007 • 3831 Posts
[QUOTE="Cerussite"][QUOTE="dEtHsLaYeR"]

[QUOTE="CrimzonTide"][QUOTE="cjek"]I think it detracts from the music, and is completely pointless and irritating. It's even less creative than most modern rap.geraldwillkill

Growling isn't hard...

YES it is, try it loud not just a quiet growl and record yourself, youll find out its harder than it seems

I know that when I was trying to scream when I sing it was hard. I couldnt do it at first and I ended up hurting my voice several times. But after awhile it just kinda came and ever since I could do it without hurting my voice.
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 skullkrusher13
[QUOTE="skullkrusher13"]

[QUOTE="pianist"]I dislike it because there are far more effective ways of creating tension in music. It's a technique that untalented musicians use to try to cover up the fact that they can not express certain emotions with purely musical development alone. People who think that you can not evoke a powerful sense of anger or distress without screaming are sorely mistaken. And people who think that tension can only be created by loud noise are sorely mistaken too.Fiji-Water

well I know a ton but they are rap so im guessing your not interested.....but youve seriosuly thought up till this point that only way you could express anger in music is through screaming?

By screaming I meant vocals in general. I know pianist doesn't really like bands, which usually incorporate vocals.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 pianist

By screaming I meant vocals in general. I know pianist doesn't really like bands, which usually incorporate vocals.

skullkrusher13

Actually I like vocals a great deal - in lieder, choral music, and certain opera arias. :P

Truth be told, the voice is a spectacular instrument in the... umm... vocal chords of a master.

iHeartCali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 iHeartCali
Member since 2008 • 6198 Posts
:lol: at people saying screaming adds more emotion to music compared to singing.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 pianist

:lol: at people saying screaming adds more emotion to music compared to singing.iHeartCali

It adds energy - but there are many better ways to do that.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#99 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

Music should be good when first heard.123625

That's ridiculous. Maybe if you're a fan of pop.

ElGunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 ElGunko
Member since 2005 • 128 Posts
Well for me, I'm not too fond of the heavy, loud angry music. Thats just my taste. I like music i can relax to. The sreaming just sounds so harsh, either that or i picture the cookie monster in some sort of rage. Either way, it dosn't do it for me.