Why do people say that a previou generation of music is better then the present?

• 173 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nikeshoebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nikeshoebox
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

Just look at rap, rappers in the 90s say that hip hop is dead and the rap now is not rap. But then jazz musicians/rock bands in the 90s were saying that rap music is not even music. Before that classical musians from the 1930s-60s were saying the rock genre is not music. Trace it further an jazz musicians were frowned upon and not allowed to play at some clubs in the 1930s. Why is it common that people view the previous generation to be better then whatever was the current? Is it because people are adjusted to a certain type of sound and they don't want change?

nikeshoebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nikeshoebox

spelling error fail- previous*

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Yes people are stubborn and nostalgia blinds people. You can find great music in any generation.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts

because music is almost a purely opinion based art, and people tend to have different opinions about what they like.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178849 Posts
Nostalgia...../thread
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#6 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Because they never heard Fall Out Boy?
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts
It always happens to the new genre. It happened to Jazz, it happened to rock, it happened to rap, and it'll happen to the next genre of music that explodes in popularity among younger people. I don't know why.
Bjorkfund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Bjorkfund
Member since 2010 • 127 Posts

simple really.

All new generations want to distance themselfes from the previous.

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
Because lots of people consider themselves music scholars with no proof to show.
nikeshoebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nikeshoebox

simple really.

All new generations want to distance themselfes from the previous.

Bjorkfund

^ the thing is every genre has something from a previous genre.Its common in rap to for the beats to have sampled soul songs and also in rock. Alot of led zepprlin major hits sampled from blues

nikeshoebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nikeshoebox

zeppelin*

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

each one has their pros and cons.what i like over alot of "good bands" would make half the users in OT's headspin

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 muller39

each one has their pros and cons.what i like over alot of "good bands" would make half the users in OT's headspin

almasdeathchild
Let''s see some examples. I'd like to see if my head spins or not.
hadoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hadoken
Member since 2003 • 2730 Posts
music is for humans
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 almasdeathchild

[QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

muller39

slipknot

avenged sevenfold

nyhm

eddie rath

straight line stich

emilie autunm

mushroomhead

killswitch engage

blood on the dance floor

korn

metallica

chimara

linkin park

dream theatre

i chose any of these over,megadeth,led zepplin,the beatles,bob marley,rush.iron maden,judas priest

Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Spitfirer
Member since 2007 • 2088 Posts

People who boast about older generations conveniently leave out the awful crap that was produced then. Such as "Suger Suger", one of the worst songs ever. Just because those generations had some of the most influencial bands doesn't mean that those generations are the hallmark of music. Some of these bands themselves sucked too. Sex Pistols anyone?

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 muller39

[QUOTE="muller39"][QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

almasdeathchild

slipknot

avenged sevenfold

nyhm

eddie rath

mushroomhead

emilie autunm

mushroomhead

killswitch engage

blood on the dance floor

korn

metallica

chimara

linkin park

dream theatre

i chose any of these over,megadeth,led zepplin,the beatles,bob marley,rush.iron maden,judas priest

I respect you for posting some examples. I am not familiar with some of these bands but I like a few of them. I don't think I would personally choose one of them over the beatles or some of my favorite bands but to each his own.
nikeshoebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nikeshoebox

almasdeathchild

slipknot

avenged sevenfold

nyhm

eddie rath

straight line stich

emilie autunm

mushroomhead

killswitch engage

blood on the dance floor

korn

metallica

chimara

linkin park

dream theatre

why would this make my headspin?

almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 almasdeathchild

[QUOTE="muller39"] Let''s see some examples. I'd like to see if my head spins or not.nikeshoebox

slipknot

avenged sevenfold

nyhm

eddie rath

straight line stich

emilie autunm

mushroomhead

killswitch engage

blood on the dance floor

korn

metallica

chimara

linkin park

dream theatre

why would this make my headspin?

ot likes to be anal about music.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LJS9502_basic

People who boast about older generations conveniently leave out the awful crap that was produced then. Such as "Suger Suger", one of the worst songs ever. Just because those generations had some of the most influencial bands doesn't mean that those generations are the hallmark of music. Some of these bands themselves sucked too. Sex Pistols anyone?

Spitfirer
I quite liked Anarchy in the UK....
Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Spitfirer
Member since 2007 • 2088 Posts

Sid Vicous' My Way was better than Frank Sinatra's. They had a few okay songs, but nothing groundbreaking. Musically, they're average at best.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Because the current generation is dubstep, and dubstep sucks balls.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ninja-Hippo

almasdeathchild

slipknot

avenged sevenfold

nyhm

eddie rath

straight line stich

emilie autunm

mushroomhead

killswitch engage

blood on the dance floor

korn

metallica

chimara

linkin park

dream theatre

You like mainstream American pop-metal. Why would that make anyone's head spin?
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 almasdeathchild

[QUOTE="muller39"] Let''s see some examples. I'd like to see if my head spins or not.Ninja-Hippo

slipknot

avenged sevenfold

nyhm

eddie rath

straight line stich

emilie autunm

mushroomhead

killswitch engage

blood on the dance floor

korn

metallica

chimara

linkin park

dream theatre

You like mainstream American pop-metal. Why would that make anyone's head spin?

pop-metal??? interesting sub genre i have no idea what it is

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ninja-Hippo

almasdeathchild
Pop stands for popular. Metal with mass appeal. Staple music. I'm not hating. Plenty of people will like the same stuff, not saying it's bad, just saying it's nothing crazy or out there. A lot of fans of heavy music tend to think their music tastes are really crazy and unique, then they list the same old nu-metal mainstream stuff that's been out there for god knows how long. I mean Linkin Park? Korn? Slipknot? Is that the avant garde that's gonna blow my mind?
Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts

Ienjoy all sorts of music. The one thing that I think more modern music is missing is length. It seems for ages song length varied from tiny to epic. With radio and eventually TV most songs seem to fit a certain 3 to 6 minute time limit with increasingly fewer exceptions. Not saying that length makes a song good, but artists should experiment more and not be constrained by some notion of a time limit. Although, I could be wrong, not very familiar with a lot of artists and I am sure there are lots of exceptions.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

Preference, and the excellent filtering effect that passing time has on crappy music. For me, I prefer the intent and direction that music was taking hundreds of years ago. Modern popular music doesn't do anything for me. I don't like the aesthetic.

almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 almasdeathchild

Ninja-Hippo

Pop stands for popular. Metal with mass appeal. Staple music. I'm not hating. Plenty of people will like the same stuff, not saying it's bad, just saying it's nothing crazy or out there. A lot of fans of heavy music tend to think their music tastes are really crazy and unique, then they list the same old nu-metal mainstream stuff that's been out there for god knows how long. I mean Linkin Park? Korn? Slipknot? Is that the avant garde that's gonna blow my mind?

probably,normal get alot of critisism from listening to the artists then again it's midnight kids are asleep.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

almasdeathchild

probably,normal get alot of critisism from listening to the artists then again it's midnight kids are asleep.

People are pretty intolerant of stuff outside of chart-pop. Dont let it make you think you like obscure stuff though. The best music is outside of the charts. :)
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 almasdeathchild

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] Pop stands for popular. Metal with mass appeal. Staple music. I'm not hating. Plenty of people will like the same stuff, not saying it's bad, just saying it's nothing crazy or out there. A lot of fans of heavy music tend to think their music tastes are really crazy and unique, then they list the same old nu-metal mainstream stuff that's been out there for god knows how long. I mean Linkin Park? Korn? Slipknot? Is that the avant garde that's gonna blow my mind?Ninja-Hippo

People are pretty intolerant of stuff outside of chart-pop. Dont let it make you think you like obscure stuff though. The best music is outside of the charts. :)

indeed it is sir.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts
It's all about taste, it has nothing to do with nostalgia.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#32 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Because they are old and only remember the long lasting classics and not the crap that lined the charts before being forgotten.

Seriously, look up hits from before and you'll see a LOT of terrible music you don't hear about today. 30 years from now, people probably won't remember Justin Bieber too much, but they'll always bring up some great Kanye hits, some modern Red Hot Chili Peppers, The White Stripes, etc.

Or maybe they will and in 30 years Justin Bieber music will be considered classic and everyone will forget they hated it while whining about music 30 years from now.

Digital_DJ_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#33 Digital_DJ_00
Member since 2005 • 1460 Posts

All I know is that I miss the times when artists sang from their heart... The Beatles, Queen, Van Halen, Michael Jackson, The Beach Boys, Frank Sinatra, Ben E. King, The Cars, Bob Marleyand many others... My heart in music will always be set in the 80's.

lordoftheleft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lordoftheleft
Member since 2011 • 151 Posts

I think the real question is why do some people dismiss music because its older or from another generation. I consider myself open minded when it comes to music I can listen to just about anything, even if it went all the way back to the 40's as long as there was something about it that strikes me. Although there's always have been people who would put down the current music of the day. Its just been in more evident in recent years because the music of now has become so vapid and commercialized and does very little in the way of innovation. Which is a polar opposite of bands in the 60's through to the early 90's which were praised for being innovative. It's just a testament to how great that music was that so many people of this generation listen to it. As for Rap I dislike rap although I still consider it a form of art and a genre of music albeit a lesser one. Yet there is some rap that I can appreciate and it's mostly older examples of it. When there was more focus on the musicality and less on the rhymes. I don't think just stringing words together over a beat that was effortlessly slapped together on a computer a musician make. The same for all those people on American Idol and the so called pop musicians of recent years, who can't play instruments or write songs and can only sing karaoke style other peoples songs that they've obtained the rights to or bought from professional song writers or both, thats just not music to me.

DarkOfKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DarkOfKnight
Member since 2011 • 2543 Posts
Nostalgia has nothing to do with it, I am not affected by that to the point it blinds me. Was there bad music in every generation? Yes, but it has become more common now, music has become more about money then art which is why the next MJ or Metallica will NEVER happen. I am a 90's kid and think the 80's by and large had better music. Sometimes the current generation will say theirs is better just because its theirs, not always true. Where is the next Led Zeppelin? I can find good music today, but it is becoming harder to find real good music and find myself listening to older stuff more. No nostalgia, just simple distaste.
DarkOfKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DarkOfKnight
Member since 2011 • 2543 Posts

Because they are old and only remember the long lasting classics and not the crap that lined the charts before being forgotten.

Seriously, look up hits from before and you'll see a LOT of terrible music you don't hear about today. 30 years from now, people probably won't remember Justin Bieber too much, but they'll always bring up some great Kanye hits, some modern Red Hot Chili Peppers, The White Stripes, etc.

Or maybe they will and in 30 years Justin Bieber music will be considered classic and everyone will forget they hated it while whining about music 30 years from now.

SPYDER0416
People who hate Bieber now won't change their mind unless his music changes. Kanye is terrible and I hope he fades away and the Peppers were better in the past and will always be defined by it, their 1991 album has yet to be passed by them. White Stripes? Never cared for them. Anyway, a generations music should be defined by the best of it's culture, not the worst.
nicksonman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nicksonman
Member since 2009 • 1221 Posts
This shouldn't even be a question cause the answer is obvious. Every generation has great music, just depends which generation you grew up in. We'll be telling our kids that our music is better than theirs. They'll be telling their kids the same thing. Next.
RisethNameless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RisethNameless
Member since 2011 • 922 Posts

The people who says the previous generations of music are better than the present are judging based on Mainstream Pop music and haven't looked around for good music.
YOu can find good music in all generations though. I love the cla55cs, yet I keep up to date. 'least in the scenes I care about. Couldn't give a crap about pop and most mainstream rap.
And why can't I say Cla55ic?

kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
It makes them feel hardcore.
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
Because bitter old adults don't know how to be hip.
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#41 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts
I really don't know. I've always been more a rock person, but I still find plenty of good rock music in this generation as well. I think people just get too nostalgic sometimes.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LJS9502_basic
Because bitter old adults don't know how to be hip.NiKva
So you are a bitter old adult?
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 NiKva
[QUOTE="NiKva"]Because bitter old adults don't know how to be hip.LJS9502_basic
So you are a bitter old adult?

Nope because my musical tastes keeps hopping around. Currently into old & new rock and dubstep :)
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LJS9502_basic

It's all about taste, it has nothing to do with nostalgia. xdude85

Not really. A vast majority of people grow up in their time frame and keep listening to the music they are familiar with. Why do you think oldies stations used to exist? And then came the cIassic rock stations which have existed for a few years now but have slowly been expanding their definition of cIassic. It's because people have a comfort zone for music that many don't move beyond.

EntropyWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 EntropyWins
Member since 2010 • 1209 Posts

I think this is more of a mainstream phenomenon. Most people from older generations are only exposed to garbage hip hop/ miley cyrus/ justin Bieber from the media these days which causes us to label this generations music garbage. We get so busy that we can't hunt down good music like we used to do when we were younger However, other than a few stand out bands that imo are not replaceable from past gens, good music can be found in most genres in each generation.

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

Because older music is better.

RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RushKing
Member since 2009 • 1785 Posts

I hate the media...

for brainwashing people into believing today's music sucks.

Oh well, I guess all of you get to miss out on the good stuff then.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
because current music really does blow.....there are some really good things being done..but mainstream music now is a joke...
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 NiKva
because current music really does blow.....there are some really good things being done..but mainstream music now is a joke...Omni-Slash
I feel bad that you feel this way gramps.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Autotune.

/thread