Why do movies suck ? (TV is King)

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sun-Tzu-GE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sun-Tzu-GE
Member since 2013 • 99 Posts

Today I was on Netflix and I came across The Hunger Games.Since everyone was raving on about it lately,I've decided to give it a shot, and like every time I watch a feature film,I was very disappointed.

Possible spoiler ahead:

The movie started out interesting and I was starting to get into it.But after they got to the woods it all turned into a generic cliche which wasn't even properly executed.Everything felt rushed,I didn't get to know any of the other participants in the game and a forced loved story that didn't even make sense.

Why does every movie have to be like this ? Generic story,cheesy love story and no character development.On the other hand, TV shows are so much better.They take their time with the story and you are truly immersed in the universe because of it.They are less predictable and they don't feel the need to add on a forced love story just for the hell of it,which seems to happen in every hollywood movie.Most importantly,you really get to know the characters.Great TV series like Game of thrones,House of cards,Breaking bad,Battlestar Galactica,ruined me for every movie out there.Now,watching a movie is like eating a frozen dinner after having gourmet food for an entire year.There's nothing more satisfying than binge watching an entire season of a great series.

I don't understand how people go and pay money for this Hollywood crap.Movies have become so bad that they aren't even worth pirating lol.

By the way.Can anyone recommend a great sci fi movie to prove me wrong ? I really want to see something awesome but I gave up all hope.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Why does every movie have to be like this ?

They aren't. Please stop blaming the medium just because of your clearly limited experience with it.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

With rare exception, TV has sucked since the 90's. I hardly turn mine on anymore except to stream something or watch a DVD/BR.

As for good Sci-Fi/post-apocalypse movies, here's a quick list:

• Bladerunner
  • Logans Run
  • Tron (original)
  • E.T.
  • The Road
  • The Book of Eli
  • The 5th Element
  • 12 Monkeys
  • Children of Men
  • Mad Max (first one)
  • Total Recall (original)

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SaintLeonidas

@br0kenrabbit said:

With rare exception, TV has sucked since the 90's.

Almost as bad of a statement as anything the TC said.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Worst thread of the year.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@SaintLeonidas said:

When I used to watch TV, I watched The Discovery Channel, The Learning Channel, and The History Channel. They had shows like Ancient Warrior, Secrets of the Dead, Connections, The Naked Ape, Ancient Empires, etc.

Now it's all Swamp Loggers, Baby Makes Three, Pawn Stars, Duck Dynasty...ugh. Bleck. Screw that noise.

Never been interested in sitcoms, reality shows, soap operas, sports, wrestling, game shows, or chick-horror like Buffy, Angel, Supernatural, etc.

I cut cable years ago (because of the whole Discovery, TLC, History channel crap above, and all the other stations showed the same shit over and over all month long), and the cable shows I do watch (Walking Dead, Falling Skies mostly) I stream on my Roku. Here's what's on in my neighborhood OTA right now:

Out of all of those, Time Scanners and History Detectives are the only things that catch my interest, and I just don't feel like watching TV right now.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#7 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Why does every movie have to be like this ? Generic story,cheesy love story and no character development.

Calm down. It will be okay. The Hunger Games was not that bad.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

Television shows have hours upon hours to tell their story while a movie needs to move through the 5 points of the literary plot structure (exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, denouement) in a much shorter time. Look at a show like The Sopranos or Mad Men. They have/had 6+ seasons of 13+ installments of 45 minutes to 1 hour to unravel their story. Even the most epic movie trilogy is 3 installments of 2-3 hours, and each installment needs to feel like a self-contained event.

Put simply, the movies are considerably more time constrained than TV.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Because they have to cram everything into a two hour film instead of a weekly series that is well over two hours total.

Sun-Tzu-GE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sun-Tzu-GE

My bad.I shouldn't have posted here because it seems some of you are just as brainwashed as the billions of people who actually pay to watch a Michael Bay movie.

@br0kenrabbit said:

What ? TV sucked before the 90's and it was actually by the end of the 90's when it started to get good.

@br0kenrabbit said:

Now it's all Swamp Loggers, Baby Makes Three, Pawn Stars, Duck Dynasty...ugh. Bleck. Screw that noise.

Never been interested in sitcoms, reality shows, soap operas, sports, wrestling, game shows, or chick-horror like Buffy, Angel, Supernatural, etc.

I'm not talking about that bullshit.I'm talking about series like Battlestar Galactica,The walking dead,Breaking bad,etc... Those are better than any movie.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SaintLeonidas

@Sun-Tzu-GE said:

My bad.I shouldn't have posted here because it seems some of you are just as brainwashed as the billions of people who actually pay to watch a Michael Bay movie.

Actually haven't watched a Bay movie in years. He sucks. So again...just another ignorant statement.

Sun-Tzu-GE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sun-Tzu-GE

Anyway,feel free to ignore this whole thread and you can stop replying.I used to enjoy movies too but I guess I've seen too much quality entertainment and I've built up a tolerance to mediocrity.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SaintLeonidas

@br0kenrabbit said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

And you clearly must not watch many dramas or comedies...so basically you watch less than 5% of what TV has to offer and yet are bold enough to say it sucks? Like the TC, unless you have experience with the wide variety a medium has to offer...you really should not comment on it as a whole. That TV schedule does suck, but TV in the past decade has been better than it has ever been.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Post 90's tv has been fantastic

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 br0kenrabbit

@Sun-Tzu-GE said:

What ? TV sucked before the 90's and it was actually by the end of the 90's when it started to get good.

I'm not talking about that bullshit.I'm talking about series like Battlestar Galactica,The walking dead,Breaking bad,etc... Those are better than any movie.

All the best SciFi TV is from the late 80's to early 90's. Star Trek: TNG, X-Files, Quantum Leap, War of the Worlds, Alien Nation, etc.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By br0kenrabbit

@SaintLeonidas said:

And you clearly must not watch many dramas or comedies...so basically you watch less than 5% of what TV has to offer and yet are bold enough to say it sucks? Like the TC, unless you have experience with the wide variety a medium has to offer...you really should not comment on it as a whole. That TV schedule does suck, but TV in the past decade has been better than it has ever been.

Point being TV used to offer more variety. Even someone with interests as esoteric as mine had something to watch. These days? Not so much.

Yeah, current TV trends mostly suck because it's all being funneled into a few narrow interests. This wasn't always the case.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

@Sun-Tzu-GE said:

Today I was on Netflix and I came across The Hunger Games.Since everyone was raving on about it lately,I've decided to give it a shot, and like every time I watch a feature film,I was very disappointed.

Possible spoiler ahead:

The movie started out interesting and I was starting to get into it.But after they got to the woods it all turned into a generic cliche which wasn't even properly executed.Everything felt rushed,I didn't get to know any of the other participants in the game and a forced loved story that didn't even make sense.

Why does every movie have to be like this ? Generic story,cheesy love story and no character development.On the other hand, TV shows are so much better.They take their time with the story and you are truly immersed in the universe because of it.They are less predictable and they don't feel the need to add on a forced love story just for the hell of it,which seems to happen in every hollywood movie.Most importantly,you really get to know the characters.Great TV series like Game of thrones,House of cards,Breaking bad,Battlestar Galactica,ruined me for every movie out there.Now,watching a movie is like eating a frozen dinner after having gourmet food for an entire year.There's nothing more satisfying than binge watching an entire season of a great series.

I don't understand how people go and pay money for this Hollywood crap.Movies have become so bad that they aren't even worth pirating lol.

By the way.Can anyone recommend a great sci fi movie to prove me wrong ? I really want to see something awesome but I gave up all hope.

@br0kenrabbit said:

Sun-Tzu-GE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sun-Tzu-GE

Before the late 90's TV used to be monster of the week type shows,no matter the genre.Those types of shows are even worse than movies.The only one I loved was The Twilight Zone.

Sun-Tzu-GE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sun-Tzu-GE

@sammyjenkis898: If you regard WWE as quality entertainment,you really have no place criticizing what anyone says about movies or TV series lol.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SaintLeonidas

@Sun-Tzu-GE said:

@sammyjenkis898: If you regard WWE as quality entertainment,you really have no place criticizing what anyone says about movies or TV series lol.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58988 Posts

@Sun-Tzu-GE said:

Possible spoiler ahead:

The quality of "drama" tv shows has arguably risen. But I wouldn't discount movies because of it. Or disregard a movie because it's cheesy or because you specifically don't like a set of movies.

To be honest, I kind of have the exact opposite point of view regarding the hunger games, it takes itself too seriously I'd much rather watch the running man which is an immensely fun movie.

Loading Video...

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Maybe you should watch movies that you actually like, ever thought about that?

Sun-Tzu-GE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sun-Tzu-GE

@xdude85 said:

Maybe you should watch movies that you actually like, ever thought about that?

Hard to find one.This is not really my first movie,you know...I've been around the block a few times in my day.

Sun-Tzu-GE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Sun-Tzu-GE

The last of us does a better job of telling a satisfying story than any movie I've seen in the last 5 years.And it's a game for crying out loud.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dave123321

Watch better movies, don't live in the ignorance

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Lots of bad movies were made.. too many.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

Can't remember the last time I watched an entire tv series, tbh. May have been Avatar: The Last Airbender. I start many but even if I love them (Archer, Legend of Korra, Mad Men, etc.) I never finish them up.

About to start Six Feet Under though, have high hopes to finish the whole thing.

chernoalpha527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chernoalpha527
Member since 2013 • 169 Posts

Want a good original Sci-fi movie? Watch Ghost is the shell. Also I don't know what you are talking about I have seen so many great movies lately you need to start picking better ones.

chernoalpha527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chernoalpha527
Member since 2013 • 169 Posts

Heres a quick list of great movies

Audition

Downfall

House of the Devil

The Raid

The Profesional

Amadeus

Troy

American Psycho

Gravity

The Breakfast Club

X-Men DOFP

Skyfall

Dredd (new one)

Requiem for a Dream

Das Boot

Zero Dark Thirty

Looper

Life of Pi

The Others

I could go on but I highly recommend these movies theres is alot of great stuff out there you just got to look for it.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#30 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

not all movies suck imo.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Check out this movie (fits none of the criteria in your OP):

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@br0kenrabbit said:

With rare exception, TV has sucked since the 90's. I hardly turn mine on anymore except to stream something or watch a DVD/BR.

• Bladerunner
  • Logans Run
  • Tron (original)
  • E.T.
  • The Road
  • The Book of Eli
  • The 5th Element
  • 12 Monkeys
  • Children of Men
  • Mad Max (first one)

If anything, TV has gotten infinitely better since the 90s, especially Cable TV. Shows like The Wire, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Walking Dead, Game of Thrones easily eclipse any TV drama available in the 90s. Yeah, there are a lot of crap reality TV shows, but you don't have to watch them.

Other than Seinfeld, TV Comedy sucked in the 90s. Though they don't draw the ratings, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, Arrested Development, The Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Archer, American Dad, Family Guy, etc are much better than anything but Seinfeld from the 90s. Everything was so formulaic back then.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts

TV is the worst form of entertainment.....with few exceptions.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dave123321

don't like ranking my media, but books are king.

Tv has been better then it's ever been this century

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dave123321

Speaking of books, guys please read this book

http://www.amazon.com/A-Moment-Sun-John-Sayles/dp/1936365189/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@dave123321 said:

Speaking of books, guys please read this book

http://www.amazon.com/A-Moment-Sun-John-Sayles/dp/1936365189/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0

No.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dave123321

@jasean79: why not

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Both movies and TV shows have their good and bad.

@br0kenrabbit said:

When I used to watch TV, I watched The Discovery Channel, The Learning Channel, and The History Channel. They had shows like Ancient Warrior, Secrets of the Dead, Connections, The Naked Ape, Ancient Empires, etc.

Out of all of those, Time Scanners and History Detectives are the only things that catch my interest, and I just don't feel like watching TV right now.

Many of those type of shows have moved to either H2 or AHC (formerly The Military Channel).

Married With Children (80's and 90's) is still my favorite comedy. The live studio audiences were enough. Never needed laugh tracks.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

"I didn't get to know any of the other participants in the game [...]"

Uhm... you have even the slightest clue why? Did you even understand the premise of the film? (Hint: All but one is supposed to DIE). And we did get to know the character Rue, quite well in fact, which had an integral part to the over-arching story of the film later on. Jesus... I'm going through the trouble of defending The Hunger Games.

TC needs to see more movies before being this critical of the entire medium.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Sun-Tzu-GE said:

The last of us does a better job of telling a satisfying story than any movie I've seen in the last 5 years.And it's a game for crying out loud.

Okay, now we can conclude you are either incredibly stupid or a blatant troll.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43  Edited By chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@br0kenrabbit said:

Pretty sure the death penalty is warranted for anyone who prefers the new Total Recall to the old one

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

While The Hunger Games is awful and does remind me why so many movies blow loads these days, there are still tons of great movies being put out. Is television better? I don't know. Maybe. Television allows for so much more in the way of story-telling. Movies are very limited with the amount of time they have, and they use a lot of that time to "sell themselves" with sex scenes, gratuitous CGI action, and extended scenes of violence. Any big-budget movie you can expect to have a lot of those 3 things - because sex, violence, and CGI sell movies. That's why movies like Transformers top the box office despite not having much of a worthwhile story to speak of.

A TV show as amazing as The Wire, for example, couldn't happen in movie form. So to some degree, I think that TV is better than film due to lack of time restriction.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SaintLeonidas

@Motokid6 said:

Last really good scifi flick I saw was Europa Report. I thought it was phenomenal. Highly recommended. Especially if your a space geek.

Would have been damn near perfect had they removed the documentary style interviews that pretty much just reiterated themes and events we just watched. Still, amazing ending. One of the few sci-fi films that is all about the human drive and sense of wonder in space exploration.

Gonzafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 Gonzafan
Member since 2008 • 1488 Posts

In my opinion, the best movies are the most unique and are the most intriguing. There are some exceptions to bad movies.

Whether you consider whenever a movie is good or bad is up yours.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@SaintLeonidas said:

@Motokid6 said:

Last really good scifi flick I saw was Europa Report. I thought it was phenomenal. Highly recommended. Especially if your a space geek.

Would have been damn near perfect had they removed the documentary style interviews that pretty much just reiterated themes and events we just watched. Still, amazing ending. One of the few sci-fi films that is all about the human drive and sense of wonder in space exploration.

I didn't mind the documentary style as much as I did the random time jumps. Good film though.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dave123321

Europa report was pretty decent

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points