Why cigarettes are legal...

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Schadenfreude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 Schadenfreude
Member since 2005 • 1901 Posts
[QUOTE="Schadenfreude"][QUOTE="chimpiki"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"]

[QUOTE="ConManWithGun"]actually weed is safer than ciggarettes, weed has never technically killed someonekilltactics

And cigarettes have? Both simply create long-term unwanted degenerations of the lungs, mouth and throat. Since weed is normally unfiltered, weed smoke is normally way worse for you than the well-filtered cigarettes. Not that either is remotely close to being good for you.

A cigarette filter is no more than a cotton ball, don't kid yourself and drop the "well" out of "well-filtered".

Compared to weed, yeah, they're well-filtered. I'm not saying that the filter is keeping all the bad stuff out, but it's a helluva lot better than nothing at all. However I'm willing to be proven wrong. ConManWithGun, do you have a source other than Wikipedia that weed doesn't cause lung cancer, like a medical journal or something? I was under the opposite impression, but who knows.

hahaha did u just say cigarettes dont kill people??

"Not that either is remotely close to being good for you." I don't think so...
Avatar image for deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e
deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 deactivated-5b4bf92fc902e
Member since 2006 • 3052 Posts

The government are making a lot of money off of it from tax. Maybe thats why cigarettes are legal.

Schadenfreude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Schadenfreude

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.htmlhttp://www.webmd.com/content/article/23/1728_57309Caffeine_Trip

Interesting, I had no idea.  DARE fails me again.

ConManWithGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 ConManWithGun
Member since 2005 • 6272 Posts

[QUOTE="ConManWithGun"] so marijuana is safer than tobaccoLJS9502_basic

I don't know.....and I've seen vastly different studies.  However, to correctly establish a correlation one would need several control groups.  The amount smoked daily and the period of time...which would need to be lengthy....would need to be the same.  Not many marijuana smokers smoke as many times a day as a cigarette smoker....and many stop smoking as they get older.  So, it's hard for me to accept that statement on face value.  Scientifically, it hasn't been established with any certainty.

I go by why they legalized marijuana in Denver, they compared the effects to alcohol if I could only find that study
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#56 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Cigarettes are probably the most deadly drug in the world. It is harder to break the addiction to nicotine than it is heroine and most modern cigarettes contain thousands of chemicals and hundreds of carcinogens. Watch "The Truth" commercials and see me points.

Cigarettes are legal because the US makes massive BILLIONS of dollars off the industry... and money runs the west.
KrayzieJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 KrayzieJ
Member since 2003 • 3283 Posts
the Tobacco industry gains hundreds of millions of dollars a year in revenue. its only right if it reaches some senators.
killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 killtactics
Member since 2004 • 5957 Posts
[QUOTE="killtactics"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"][QUOTE="chimpiki"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"]

[QUOTE="ConManWithGun"]actually weed is safer than ciggarettes, weed has never technically killed someoneSchadenfreude

And cigarettes have? Both simply create long-term unwanted degenerations of the lungs, mouth and throat. Since weed is normally unfiltered, weed smoke is normally way worse for you than the well-filtered cigarettes. Not that either is remotely close to being good for you.

A cigarette filter is no more than a cotton ball, don't kid yourself and drop the "well" out of "well-filtered".

Compared to weed, yeah, they're well-filtered. I'm not saying that the filter is keeping all the bad stuff out, but it's a helluva lot better than nothing at all. However I'm willing to be proven wrong. ConManWithGun, do you have a source other than Wikipedia that weed doesn't cause lung cancer, like a medical journal or something? I was under the opposite impression, but who knows.

hahaha did u just say cigarettes dont kill people??

"Not that either is remotely close to being good for you." I don't think so...

yes fast food is not "good" for u either... but if u read the first post that guy wrote then your response "And cigarettes have?" it sounds like you did....
Caffeine_Trip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Caffeine_Trip
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts
Cigarettes are probably the most deadly drug in the world. It is harder to break the addiction to nicotine than it is heroine and most modern cigarettes contain thousands of chemicals and hundreds of carcinogens. Watch "The Truth" commercials and see me points.

Cigarettes are legal because the US makes massive BILLIONS of dollars off the industry... and money runs the west.
foxhound_fox
Those 'truth' commercials just generate curiosity amongst young people and make them wonder what's so bad about it, which is why a lot of people start smoking.
zymase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#60 zymase
Member since 2003 • 6568 Posts
They're legal only because the government makes a crapload of tax money off of them.UT_Wrestler
Tobacco has always been a huge cash crop for this country, since well before the country, or even colonial times. Yes, the legalization of marijuana would also make it a huge cash crop, but for now the government picks what you can and can't smoke.
Schadenfreude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Schadenfreude

foxhound_fox
Cigarettes are certainly not the most deadly. Yes, the addiction is hard to break, but harder then heroin? Do cigarette smokers write in pain and scream when they can't get a fix? I think the real reason why it's hard to break cigarette/alcohol addictions is because they're both so readily available. If a heroin addict goes to live with his family in the country to break his addiction, he can't sneak into the pantry and shoot up when everyone's asleep. I bet if you had a heroin addict and a smoker both wanting to quit in rooms with their drug of choice sitting in front of them, the heroin addict would break first. There may be a lot of these carcinogens and chemicals that slowly kill you, but they aren't eating your brain alive and you're not going to overdose on cigarettes.
killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 killtactics

foxhound_fox
im not too sure about your above post b/c heroine has really bad with drawl that can even kill you..also the pleasure u get from it is a million times stronger then ciggs
Schadenfreude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Schadenfreude

yes fast food is not "good" for u either... but if u read the first post that guy wrote then your response "And cigarettes have?" it sounds like you did....killtactics

I believe he was referring to overdoses, or that's the impression I was under.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178874 Posts

[QUOTE="Caffeine_Trip"]Schadenfreude

As far as this topic.....studies differ and seemingly contradict themselves.  It depends on who did the study and why.

Caffeine_Trip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Caffeine_Trip
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Cigarettes are probably the most deadly drug in the world. It is harder to break the addiction to nicotine than it is heroine and most modern cigarettes contain thousands of chemicals and hundreds of carcinogens. Watch "The Truth" commercials and see me points.

killtactics
im not too sure about your above post b/c heroine has really bad with drawl that can even kill you..also the pleasure u get from it is a million times stronger then ciggs

Heroin itself isn't that dangerous at all, it's the addiction and overdose that's dangerous.
CyberZero104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#66 CyberZero104
Member since 2006 • 880 Posts
I dunno. Probably because cigarettes are shortcuts for people who don't want to live. Hey, living is good, so I agree that the ciggies should be banned.
Schadenfreude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Schadenfreude
[QUOTE="Schadenfreude"]

[QUOTE="Caffeine_Trip"]LJS9502_basic

As far as this topic.....studies differ and seemingly contradict themselves.  It depends on who did the study and why.

That's true. I was just shocked to see any study that claimed there were no cancer-related effects from smoking weed. Then again, you can die from leaning over too many fires and breating in smoke. Any smoke going into your lungs is bad, so even if the weed itself doesn't have carcinogens, which I'm not entirely convinced on, I think it could still kill you eventually.
Schadenfreude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Schadenfreude

[QUOTE="killtactics"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Cigarettes are probably the most deadly drug in the world. It is harder to break the addiction to nicotine than it is heroine and most modern cigarettes contain thousands of chemicals and hundreds of carcinogens. Watch "The Truth" commercials and see me points.

Caffeine_Trip

Heroin itself isn't that dangerous at all, it's the addiction and overdose that's dangerous.

...Which makes heroin dangerous, since it's extremely addictive.

Caffeine_Trip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Caffeine_Trip
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"]

Interesting, I had no idea. DARE fails me again.

As far as this topic.....studies differ and seemingly contradict themselves. It depends on who did the study and why.

That's true. I was just shocked to see any study that claimed there were no cancer-related effects from smoking weed. Then again, you can die from leaning over too many fires and breating in smoke. Any smoke going into your lungs is bad, so even if the weed itself doesn't have carcinogens, which I'm not entirely convinced on, I think it could still kill you eventually.

After all these thousands of years it hasn't killed anyone yet. And chances are if something could 'kill you eventually', it'd kill someone by now if it's been in use for 5000 years.
Mumbles527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Mumbles527
Member since 2004 • 7706 Posts
The way I see it based on the studies I've read is that if you smoke an insane amount of weed every day for the rest of your life (as in much more than any person would ever smoke), then you might get lung cancer. But then again, the same can be said for drinking diet coke.
ConManWithGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 ConManWithGun
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"]

well could eventually kill you or it can help you live a helthier life, like drinking the right amount ot alcohol everyday can extend your life
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Schadenfreude"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"]

[QUOTE="Caffeine_Trip"]Caffeine_Trip

Interesting, I had no idea. DARE fails me again.

As far as this topic.....studies differ and seemingly contradict themselves. It depends on who did the study and why.

After all these thousands of years it hasn't killed anyone yet. And chances are if something could 'kill you eventually', it'd kill someone by now if it's been in use for 5000 years.

You should have read my post as to why.....

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Schadenfreude"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"]

[QUOTE="Caffeine_Trip"]ConManWithGun

well could eventually kill you or it can help you live a helthier life, like drinking the right amount ot alcohol everyday can extend your life

Smoking will never enhance your life.....doing it reasonably may not endanger it.
Schadenfreude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Schadenfreude

I think I've given off the wrong impression, I'm not against weed at all.  I think it's a ridiculously stupid law that it's illegal in most places, and I believe that it's good for you if taken in moderation, a la alcohol.  I just have trouble believing that breathing in all that smoke is doing no wrong.  It's like those people who argue against global warming.  Well, we're putting all those gasses up there, are they just kind of disappearing and doing no harm?

Schadenfreude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Schadenfreude

Smoking will never enhance your life.....doing it reasonably may not endanger it.LJS9502_basic

Unless paranoia sets in, weed is very relaxing and a great way to let off steam after a hard week.

killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 killtactics
[QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"]

[QUOTE="Caffeine_Trip"]LJS9502_basic

Smoking will never enhance your life.....doing it reasonably may not endanger it.

thats not true at all... i had a crazy year when i was in 10th grade that had a lot to do with smoking... also to your above post every thing can be dangerous if you have too much just look at that lady that died from too much water..
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#77 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts

I don't smoke but I do believe in freedom of choice. If people want to smoke despite all the warnings then that's their decision. And if they want to stop there are plenty of ways to help them quit. That being said if they are surprised that they got cancer then they deserve it for being so dumb.

Mumbles527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Mumbles527
Member since 2004 • 7706 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Smoking will never enhance your life.....doing it reasonably may not endanger it.Schadenfreude

Unless paranoia sets in, weed is very relaxing and a great way to let off steam after a hard week.

And it can be used to treat glaucoma and the side effects of chemotherapy! See!? Not only does it not cause cancer, if helps people who already have cancer!
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#79 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
[QUOTE="Schadenfreude"]Cigarettes are certainly not the most deadly. Yes, the addiction is hard to break, but harder then heroin? Do cigarette smokers write in pain and scream when they can't get a fix? I think the real reason why it's hard to break cigarette/alcohol addictions is because they're both so readily available. If a heroin addict goes to live with his family in the country to break his addiction, he can't sneak into the pantry and shoot up when everyone's asleep. I bet if you had a heroin addict and a smoker both wanting to quit in rooms with their drug of choice sitting in front of them, the heroin addict would break first. There may be a lot of these carcinogens and chemicals that slowly kill you, but they aren't eating your brain alive and you're not going to overdose on cigarettes.

What about people who get lung cancer? Are they not in pain? What about the ones who get hole put in their trachea's? Make cigarettes and alcohol illegal and you will get the same withdrawal results. Have you seen those shows on intervention? How the alcoholics gets when they do not have a drink?

I highly doubt it, if you had a cigarette smoker and a heroin addict in the same room, both been deprived for the same amount of time, they would probably both break instantly. You CAN overdose on nicotine, look it up, just like every other narcotic.

I have had first hand experience seeing a person addicted to nicotine for my entire life now... it is not a pretty sight. It is a drug just as bad like any other... it is just the US government does not want to make it illegal because they are making so much money off of it.

Look up the Opium Wars in China, the British forced people to get addicted so that they could get money from China, then in the end denied having any "bad" involvement in it, seeing as how they just supplied the opium, it was the smugglers that sold it to people.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Schadenfreude"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Smoking will never enhance your life.....doing it reasonably may not endanger it.Mumbles527

And it can be used to treat glaucoma and the side effects of chemotherapy! See!? Not only does it not cause cancer, if helps people who already have cancer!

So it should be a prescription.......
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 LJS9502_basic

thats not true at all... i had a crazy year when i was in 10th grade that had a lot to do with smoking... also to your above post every thing can be dangerous if you have too much just look at that lady that died from too much water..killtactics

I'm not advocating the use of it.  I've known too many bad examples... However, I was pointing out that it doesn't add to life.  IE....it is not necessary.

ConManWithGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 ConManWithGun
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"]

[QUOTE="Caffeine_Trip"]killtactics

thats not true at all... i had a crazy year when i was in 10th grade that had a lot to do with smoking... also to your above post every thing can be dangerous if you have too much just look at that lady that died from too much water..

Its impossible to OD on marijuana
Schadenfreude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Schadenfreude

What about people who get lung cancer? Are they not in pain? What about the ones who get hole put in their trachea's? Make cigarettes and alcohol illegal and you will get the same withdrawal results. Have you seen those shows on intervention? How the alcoholics gets when they do not have a drink? foxhound_fox

They're in pain after years and years and years of tobacco abuse.  Nicotine's negative effects, while serious, probably take longer to set in than any other drug on the market.  A cigarette addict of thirty years may end up with a hole in their throat.  You'll never meet a heroin addict of thirty years.

I highly doubt it, if you had a cigarette smoker and a heroin addict in the same room, both been deprived for the same amount of time, they would probably both break instantly. You CAN overdose on nicotine, look it up, just like every other narcotic. foxhound_fox

So what?  You CAN overdose on caffeine, hell, even water.  Does it happen often?  No.  Do heroin addicts overdose often?  Absolutely.  Because they're so addicted they're always looking for more.

I have had first hand experience seeing a person addicted to nicotine for my entire life now... it is not a pretty sight. It is a drug just as bad like any other... it is just the US government does not want to make it illegal because they are making so much money off of it.foxhound_fox

It is a drug, yes. I've seen addicts too.  But have you ever known drug addicts, like heroin or coke addicts?  There's a huge difference.  Tobacco smokers get pissed off and irritable when they need a smoke.  Coke and heroin addicts will stop at nothing, even stealing from and betraying family if they need a fix.

Look up the Opium Wars in China, the British forced people to get addicted so that they could get money from China, then in the end denied having any "bad" involvement in it, seeing as how they just supplied the opium, it was the smugglers that sold it to people.
foxhound_fox

I don't understand your point here I'm afraid.

Schadenfreude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Schadenfreude
[QUOTE="killtactics"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"]

You can OD on THC, but the amount is so great that it's almost or perhaps is impossible for a human to consume it all and it has never happened before.
ConManWithGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 ConManWithGun
[QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="killtactics"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"]

You can OD on THC, but the amount is so great that it's almost or perhaps is impossible for a human to consume it all and it has never happened before.

On THC perhaps, just smoking marijuana, no
Arch_Angel_21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#86 Arch_Angel_21
Member since 2006 • 1493 Posts
I have nothing against smokers. My dad smokes, my uncles, a few aunties, a couple of my cousins, and even a few friends. They can smoke if they want. It's their bodies and they can put whatever crap they want to. But when smokers have a disrespect for those around them inhaling second-hand smoke then there is a problem.
Schadenfreude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Schadenfreude
[QUOTE="Schadenfreude"][QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="killtactics"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"]

Yeah, that's basically what I was saying. :P
ConManWithGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 ConManWithGun
[QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"][QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="killtactics"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"]

Yeah, that's basically what I was saying. :P

Well then I missunderstood :oops:
Schadenfreude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Schadenfreude

[QUOTE="Schadenfreude"] Yeah, that's basically what I was saying. :PConManWithGun

You're forgiven. :)

ConManWithGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 ConManWithGun

[QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"] Yeah, that's basically what I was saying. :PSchadenfreude

You're forgiven. :)

well then, lets go get some coffe that way :arrow:

Jigsaw_McGraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#91 Jigsaw_McGraw
Member since 2006 • 1231 Posts
Cigarettes don't change your state of mind or emotions...they are just addictive.
eTrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#92 eTrace
Member since 2003 • 3042 Posts

foxhound_fox
have you ever seen what happens to people that do meth?
Caffeine_Trip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Caffeine_Trip
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Cigarettes are probably the most deadly drug in the world. It is harder to break the addiction to nicotine than it is heroine and most modern cigarettes contain thousands of chemicals and hundreds of carcinogens. Watch "The Truth" commercials and see me points.

eTrace

They get high and might get addicted. Those 'faces of meth' photos you've seen are of only the worse meth addicts.
ConManWithGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 ConManWithGun
Cigarettes don't change your state of mind or emotions...they are just addictive.Jigsaw_McGraw
They calm some people down, and emos use them to "Heal their pain"
eTrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#95 eTrace
Member since 2003 • 3042 Posts
[QUOTE="eTrace"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Cigarettes are probably the most deadly drug in the world. It is harder to break the addiction to nicotine than it is heroine and most modern cigarettes contain thousands of chemicals and hundreds of carcinogens. Watch "The Truth" commercials and see me points.

Caffeine_Trip

They get high and might get addicted. Those 'faces of meth' photos you've seen are of only the worse meth addicts.

tobacco doesnt come anywhere near the degenerative effects of meth or other hard drugs. and im pretty sure theres no such thing(or very rare) as a slight meth addict...
ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#96 ncderek
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
everything should be illegal except alcohol
Caffeine_Trip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Caffeine_Trip
[QUOTE="Caffeine_Trip"][QUOTE="eTrace"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Cigarettes are probably the most deadly drug in the world. It is harder to break the addiction to nicotine than it is heroine and most modern cigarettes contain thousands of chemicals and hundreds of carcinogens. Watch "The Truth" commercials and see me points.

eTrace

tobacco doesnt come anywhere near the degenerative effects of meth or other hard drugs. and im pretty sure theres no such thing(or very rare) as a slight meth addict...

If you think everyone that does meth becomes an addict, you're wrong. People start doing it again because they love the high, some people are smart enough to stop. The same goes with every other drug.
crucifine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#98 crucifine
Member since 2003 • 4726 Posts
Legalities aside, the one thing that pot smokers have going for them as opposed to cigarette smokers (in the whole smoke-in-your-lungs argument) is that pot smokers can use vaporizers.  Vaporizers heat up the marijuana to just the right temperature to condense the THC into a mist, but it's not hot enough to burn the pot, so there is almost zero smoke.  If someone were to smoke with nothing but vaporizers (unlikely, I know) they'd basically be doing nothing negative to their body.  And that provided they only smoke the leaves, they're actually getting three times less tar than cigarettes.

Side note:  In 2004 in New York City, more people died from peanut allergies than from ecstacy.
Jakesgotbeef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Jakesgotbeef
Member since 2006 • 751 Posts
The government make too much tax from ciggarettes to ban them.
ROFLMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#100 ROFLMASTER
Member since 2005 • 1729 Posts
it's really all quite simple: Back in the days when smoking was discovered, people made their own companies to manufacture cigarettes...until about 50 years ago nobody even knew smoking was bad for your health (thats why kids often smoked too...especially during the war, and nobody cared)...but now that everyone knows it's bad, the goverment can only do so much to prevent people from smoking (such as anti-smoking ads, statistics, raising the prices and scientifical proof that cigarettes cause health issues)...but they can't just close down all the companies since they are doing something that has been legal for so many years...besides, smoking doesn't have any direct influence like weed does...you may only feel a little dizzy when you smoke a cigarette to fast for example....but that's for people who don't smoke on a regular basis