Why cigarettes are legal...

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1 Hiddai
Member since 2004 • 6117 Posts

Me personaly, i am against cigarettes and drugs but i don't understand why the cigarette isn't in the "drugs list" together with weed\cheeba\indo (baa it has at least 20 names...). I mean i know that cigarettes are less dangerous in meanings of health than the weed but the cigarette is the number one facor of cancer in the world and many people dying becuase of this sh*t. Both weed and cigarette work by smoking them i mean it's the same action to both of them but cigarette still ain't illegal...

kyleali11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kyleali11
Member since 2006 • 11820 Posts
to control the world population, so they are legal to kill people
nigel777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nigel777
Member since 2006 • 523 Posts
I agree. I think that anything that's putting someones life in danger should be banned.
Carlos_Santana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Carlos_Santana
Member since 2006 • 4316 Posts
I think they're legal because people didn't always know they were bad for you, and it would be nearly impossible to enforce the law and keep everyone off of such a strong addiction
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts
I think they're legal because people didn't always know they were bad for you, and it would be nearly impossible to enforce the law and keep everyone off of such a strong addictionCarlos_Santana
Correct.....just like prohibition the use of tobacco products will go on.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#6 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Money talking and crowd control (not necessarily just controlling it's size). Really, though....money does in fact have something to do with it...the original anti-weed ads were funded by tobacco corps. I understand that it's pretty hard to get off for most.

Personally speaking, I quit 'cold turkey' after 3 years of at least 1-2 packs of Reds a day and I went to a school on a college campus so it was easy to smoke in public areas, so it's not impossible to give it up.

The thing I find strange is the 11% increase of nicotine in the cigarrettes over the years, yet no legal battles have been fought.

four_aces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 four_aces
Member since 2007 • 845 Posts
it isn't even intoxicating....:|
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts

I think they're legal because people didn't always know they were bad for you, and it would be nearly impossible to enforce the law and keep everyone off of such a strong addictionCarlos_Santana

Bingo.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="Carlos_Santana"]I think they're legal because people didn't always know they were bad for you, and it would be nearly impossible to enforce the law and keep everyone off of such a strong addictionmegagene

Bingo.

Why do you always get bingo first.....:(
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
[QUOTE="megagene"]

[QUOTE="Carlos_Santana"]I think they're legal because people didn't always know they were bad for you, and it would be nearly impossible to enforce the law and keep everyone off of such a strong addictionLJS9502_basic

Bingo.

I cheat. :D

sthadji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 sthadji
Member since 2004 • 4682 Posts
to control the world population, so they are legal to kill peoplekyleali11
I like your logic.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
They're legal only because the government makes a crapload of tax money off of them.
Carlos_Santana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Carlos_Santana
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="megagene"]

[QUOTE="Carlos_Santana"]I think they're legal because people didn't always know they were bad for you, and it would be nearly impossible to enforce the law and keep everyone off of such a strong addictionmegagene

Bingo.

Heh, 2 level 33 veterans chatting on the web...Maybe one day I can join...*hums "when you wish upon a star"*
four_aces

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 four_aces
Member since 2007 • 845 Posts
[QUOTE="megagene"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="megagene"]

[QUOTE="Carlos_Santana"]I think they're legal because people didn't always know they were bad for you, and it would be nearly impossible to enforce the law and keep everyone off of such a strong addictionCarlos_Santana

Bingo.

Heh, 2 level 33 veterans chatting on the web...Maybe one day I can join...*hums "when you wish upon a star"*

it can all be taken away very quickly...>.>
Carlos_Santana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Carlos_Santana
[QUOTE="Carlos_Santana"][QUOTE="megagene"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="megagene"]

[QUOTE="Carlos_Santana"]I think they're legal because people didn't always know they were bad for you, and it would be nearly impossible to enforce the law and keep everyone off of such a strong addictionfour_aces

Bingo.

*cough*Omni*cough*Slash*cough*
tbone_772

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tbone_772
Member since 2003 • 52 Posts

The reason cigarettes are legal while weed is not is that cigarrettes dont affect your ability to reason. If you smoke weed, you are putting those around you in immense danger...while if you smoke cigarettes you are just essentially harming yourself and not those around you. Granted, sidestream smoke sucks, but I'd rather have someone blow it in my face as opposed to being hit by a car driven by someone who is stoned out of their minds.

I dislike cigarettes also, but essentially, they only harm those who are stupid enough to smoke them and those who are stupid enough to hang out next to them all the time while they smoke.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Carlos_Santana"][QUOTE="megagene"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="megagene"]

[QUOTE="Carlos_Santana"]I think they're legal because people didn't always know they were bad for you, and it would be nearly impossible to enforce the law and keep everyone off of such a strong addictionfour_aces

Bingo.

It can't be taken away.....you have to give it away.
ConManWithGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ConManWithGun
Member since 2005 • 6272 Posts

Me personaly, i am against cigarettes and drugs but i don't understand why the cigarette isn't in the "drugs list" together with weed\cheeba\indo (baa it has at least 20 names...). I mean i know that cigarettes are less dangerous in meanings of health than the weed but the cigarette is the number one facor of cancer in the world and many people dying becuase of this sh*t. Both weed and cigarette work by smoking them i mean it's the same action to both of them but cigarette still ain't illegal...

Hiddai
actually weed is safer than ciggarettes, weed has never technically killed someone
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Hiddai"]

ConManWithGun
actually weed is safer than ciggarettes, weed has never technically killed someone

It has caused automobile accidents.....
graham_celtic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 graham_celtic
Member since 2006 • 1190 Posts
They are legal because there is so much money in the tobacco industry. 
Carlos_Santana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Carlos_Santana
[QUOTE="Hiddai"]

ConManWithGun

Marijuana usage is very common among Schizophrenics...
Schadenfreude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Schadenfreude
Member since 2005 • 1901 Posts

Cigarettes are not around to be used as population control.  Cigarettes are still around because:

• The agricultural tobacco industry in America would collapse otherwise.  Tens of thousands would be out of jobs and it would really be an economic disaster.  Entire primary, secondary and tertiary industries would be out of luck (from the farms, to transporting the tobacco, to the cigarette plants, to the convenience stores who make more than 50% of their profit on tobacco sales).  Can you say riots?
  • People have the right to smoke, there would be tons of legal cases counteracting the government's decision
  • The taxes that the government receives from tobacco sales are immense.  They aren't going to let go of that money

Besides, did Prohibition work?  Once people have a taste for something they're not just going to let it go, especially something as addictive as cigarettes.  A cigarette prohibition would simply lead to massive black market tobacco dealings, and this would lead to more crime.

It's illogical to smoke cigarettes, but even more so to make them illegal.

chimpiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 chimpiki
Member since 2004 • 2014 Posts
I agree. I think that anything that's putting someones life in danger should be banned.nigel777
That includes salt, sugar, and pretty much everything in the average human'ss diet but unmarinated meats, most vegetables, and most fruits. People are free to choose what they choose, and if cigarettes are selling at about $6-$7 a pack, it's a pretty expensive way to kill yourself over the course of a few years at a pack a day. As to why they're not banned, it comes down to money. And to address something in the topic starter's original post, marijuana is no safer than anything in cigarettes; in fact, one joint usually has as much arsenic and other toxins as four cigarettes, and that's assuming the dealer hasn't added any of his own chemicals to the mix to experiment. At the very least, you know exactly what you're putting into you when you're smoking a cigartte; you have no idea when you buy from someone on the street.
Caffeine_Trip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Caffeine_Trip
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts
The difference is weed is virtually harmless if not abused. And I'm also pissed off why they always say "alcohol or drugs", or "alcohol and drugs", as if alcohol isn't a drug. Alcohol is a dangerous and addictive drug.
ConManWithGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ConManWithGun
[QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="Hiddai"]

LJS9502_basic

Yea but no has died from smoking it
Schadenfreude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Schadenfreude

actually weed is safer than ciggarettes, weed has never technically killed someoneConManWithGun

And cigarettes have? Both simply create long-term unwanted degenerations of the lungs, mouth and throat. Since weed is normally unfiltered, weed smoke is normally way worse for you than the well-filtered cigarettes. Not that either is remotely close to being good for you.

Caffeine_Trip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Caffeine_Trip

[QUOTE="ConManWithGun"]actually weed is safer than ciggarettes, weed has never technically killed someoneSchadenfreude

And cigarettes have? Both simply create long-term unwanted degenerations of the lungs, mouth and throat. Since weed is normally unfiltered, weed smoke is normally way worse for you than the well-filtered cigarettes. Not that either is remotely close to being good for you.

Weed isn't nearly as harmful as cigarettes, that's a fact, and I don't think you'd want to try to debate against me on that.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="Hiddai"]

ConManWithGun

It harms the lungs.....but the habit is usually not as lengthy as tobacco....
Carlos_Santana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Carlos_Santana
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="Hiddai"]

ConManWithGun

But they have caused people to develop Schizophrenia, one of the frightning and serious forms of Mental Illness. And Schizophrenia is something that is more commonly found in murderers than the public.
J-Man725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 J-Man725
Member since 2006 • 6786 Posts
Ever notice how the government only has a grudge against those un-taxed drugs...yea those are the ones that are bad for you, not those that are taxed..bull****.
ConManWithGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ConManWithGun

[QUOTE="ConManWithGun"]actually weed is safer than ciggarettes, weed has never technically killed someoneSchadenfreude

from wiki

"Unlike tobacco, cannabis has not been shown to cause emphysema or lung cancer.  Other studies have suggested that cannabis may be less likely to cause birth defects or developmental delays in the children of users than other drugs. According to a United Kingdom government report, using cannabis is less dangerous than both tobacco and alcohol in social harms, physical harm and addiction."

KingPeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KingPeru
Member since 2004 • 4613 Posts
cigarettes r bad for u?! :o :o :o
chimpiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 chimpiki

The reason cigarettes are legal while weed is not is that cigarrettes dont affect your ability to reason. If you smoke weed, you are putting those around you in immense danger...while if you smoke cigarettes you are just essentially harming yourself and not those around you. Granted, sidestream smoke sucks, but I'd rather have someone blow it in my face as opposed to being hit by a car driven by someone who is stoned out of their minds.

I dislike cigarettes also, but essentially, they only harm those who are stupid enough to smoke them and those who are stupid enough to hang out next to them all the time while they smoke.

tbone_772
I would tend to disagree as all cars come equipped with a cigarette lighter, and when someone's lighting a cigarette in the car, which they shouldn't be doing, it's a distraction. Same thing goes for when they have the cigarette already in their mouths, they drop it on their pants, freak out and then veer off onto the sidewalk or something ridiculously stupid that wouldn't occur under normal circumstances. The addiction to cigarettes can be so powerful that they can indeed effect your judgment.
Loonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Loonie
Member since 2003 • 3455 Posts
Add alcohol to the list too.
Caffeine_Trip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Caffeine_Trip
Ever notice how the government only has a grudge against those un-taxed drugs...yea those are the ones that are bad for you, not those that are taxed..bull****. J-Man725
Benzodiazepines are dangerous and highly addictive drugs yet they're prescribed all the time. I read that the withdrawl symptoms are worse than heroin. But it's legal.
ConManWithGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ConManWithGun
[QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="Hiddai"]

LJS9502_basic

"Unlike tobacco, cannabis has not been shown to cause emphysema or lung cancer. Other studies have suggested that cannabis may be less likely to cause birth defects or developmental delays in the children of users than other drugs. According to a United Kingdom government report, using cannabis is less dangerous than both tobacco and alcohol in social harms, physical harm and addiction."
sthadji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 sthadji
Member since 2004 • 4682 Posts
cigarettes r bad for u?! :o :o :oKingPeru
If you abuse them then they are bad :o
chimpiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chimpiki

A cigarette filter is no more than a cotton ball, don't kid yourself and drop the "well" out of "well-filtered".
chimpiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chimpiki
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="Hiddai"]

ConManWithGun

"Unlike tobacco, cannabis has not been shown to cause emphysema or lung cancer. Other studies have suggested that cannabis may be less likely to cause birth defects or developmental delays in the children of users than other drugs. According to a United Kingdom government report, using cannabis is less dangerous than both tobacco and alcohol in social harms, physical harm and addiction."

Cannabis isn't necessarily the only thing you're smoking when you buy this stuff off the street. Some people in severe cases have been known to experience panic attacks due to the experience, having no sense of time or surroundings.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic
 "Unlike tobacco, cannabis has not been shown to cause emphysema or lung cancer. Other studies have suggested that cannabis may be less likely to cause birth defects or developmental delays in the children of users than other drugs. According to a United Kingdom government report, using cannabis is less dangerous than both tobacco and alcohol in social harms, physical harm and addiction."ConManWithGun

You did not understand my point.  Tobacco smokers smoke more and over a longer period of time than marijuana smokers. 

Mumbles527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mumbles527
Member since 2004 • 7706 Posts
Whats with all this cigarettes are safer than weed crap? Theres no proven link between marijuana and lung cancer, and marijuana has been proven to be good for people in many situations. Don't drive when you're completely stoned, and you're fine...but even then, driving stoned is easier than driving drunk.
Caffeine_Trip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Caffeine_Trip
[QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="Hiddai"]

Me personaly, i am against cigarettes and drugs but i don't understand why the cigarette isn't in the "drugs list" together with weed\cheeba\indo (baa it has at least 20 names...). I mean i know that cigarettes are less dangerous in meanings of health than the weed but the cigarette is the number one facor of cancer in the world and many people dying becuase of this sh*t. Both weed and cigarette work by smoking them i mean it's the same action to both of them but cigarette still ain't illegal...

chimpiki

Cannabis isn't necessarily the only thing you're smoking when you buy this stuff off the street. Some people in severe cases have been known to experience panic attacks due to the experience, having no sense of time or surroundings.

That's because they either smoke highly potent weed or weed laced with PCP. PCP laced weed is pretty rare, and it would be illogical for a dealer to do that if he wants returning customers.
ConManWithGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ConManWithGun
[QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="ConManWithGun"][QUOTE="Hiddai"]

LJS9502_basic

You did not understand my point.  Tobacco smokers smoke more and over a longer period of time than marijuana smokers. 

so marijuana is safer than tobacco
zsc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 zsc4
Member since 2005 • 5233 Posts
They are legal because the government make a lot of money from them.
killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 killtactics
Member since 2004 • 5957 Posts

chimpiki

some people have have panic attacks b/c of work or stress.. looks like we need to make those illegal too
Schadenfreude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Schadenfreude
[QUOTE="Schadenfreude"]

[QUOTE="ConManWithGun"]actually weed is safer than ciggarettes, weed has never technically killed someonechimpiki

A cigarette filter is no more than a cotton ball, don't kid yourself and drop the "well" out of "well-filtered".

Compared to weed, yeah, they're well-filtered. I'm not saying that the filter is keeping all the bad stuff out, but it's a helluva lot better than nothing at all. However I'm willing to be proven wrong. ConManWithGun, do you have a source other than Wikipedia that weed doesn't cause lung cancer, like a medical journal or something? I was under the opposite impression, but who knows.
Caffeine_Trip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Caffeine_Trip
[QUOTE="chimpiki"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"]

Compared to weed, yeah, they're well-filtered. I'm not saying that the filter is keeping all the bad stuff out, but it's a helluva lot better than nothing at all. However I'm willing to be proven wrong. ConManWithGun, do you have a source other than Wikipedia that weed doesn't cause lung cancer, like a medical journal or something? I was under the opposite impression, but who knows.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.htmlhttp://www.webmd.com/content/article/23/1728_57309
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LJS9502_basic

so marijuana is safer than tobaccoConManWithGun

I don't know.....and I've seen vastly different studies.  However, to correctly establish a correlation one would need several control groups.  The amount smoked daily and the period of time...which would need to be lengthy....would need to be the same.  Not many marijuana smokers smoke as many times a day as a cigarette smoker....and many stop smoking as they get older.  So, it's hard for me to accept that statement on face value.  Scientifically, it hasn't been established with any certainty.

killtactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 killtactics
Member since 2004 • 5957 Posts
[QUOTE="chimpiki"][QUOTE="Schadenfreude"]

hahaha did u just say cigarettes dont kill people??
not_grape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 not_grape
Member since 2006 • 2156 Posts
It's for money. I really think cigarettes should be banned though.