Which war was more horrific? WWI vs WWII?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

randomtask09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 randomtask09
Member since 2009 • 109 Posts

So OT which in your opinion was the more horrific war?

I suspect most of you will say WWII as it had greater causalties, especially civilian causalties, and Im sure some will bring up the atomic bombings and fire bombings which are fair arguments. But I'm going to have to go with The Great War WWI.

Why?

Simple. It was so damn pointless. The war started for practically no reason other than countries not liking each other. There was no clear goal for either side during the fighting, and absolutely nothing was accomplished other than laying the ground work for another War.

Atleast in WWII there were terrible people in power that were seeking to conquer Europe that needed to be stopped.

World War II needed to be fought, but World War I.....why?

WWI's battles were absolutely awful as well. Essentially rot in a trench hoping to not get gassed or hit by artillery and wait for your CO to blow the whistle. When he did....you die. No tactics at all, just charge straight into machine gun fire. The Battle of the Somme was so brutal that the ground was more blood and bodies than it was earth.

WWII battles were no picnic by any means, but if I was forced to fight in either World War II's Eastern front or World War I's Western front I think I'd choose WWII Eastern.

Thoughts?

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
I'm going to have to go with WWII because of D-Day and the Russian Winter War(s)
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

I'm going to have to go with WWII because of D-Day and the Russian Winter War(s) lonewolf604

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

World War II's Eastern front was brutal. I don't know what I would prefer, but I think WWII was more horrific.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

Also in WW2 was the Holocaust, Japanese treatment Camps, and Nuclear bombs.

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

Hang out with the Canadians in WWI and be a stormtrooper :). Use real tactics.

The conditions were undoubtedly bad in WWI, but I'm sure there were definitely battles in WW2 just as bloody (and way larger in scope). Especially if you factor in the Pacific theatre and the Eastern front.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
WW2 had much more atrocities, more people killed, a lot more civilians affected, bigger theatres of war, two of the worst dictators in human history killing each ofher's people, etc. The debate as to which war is more historically significance is debatable, but which one is more atrcious is painfully obvious. Holocaust alone makes WW2 more horrific Moreover, WW2 Eastern Front had possibly the worst battles of all time. And I'm not just counting the numbers, but also considering stuff like cannibalism, prisoner harassment, purges, etc. 20 million Soviet people died in WW2. That's more than the entire casualty number for WW1. If you actually study Eastern Front, especially Leningrad and Battle of Moscow, the horror is simply unimaginable
FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
WWII since there was Nukes.
Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
WWII. The Holocaust gives WWII the edge in horror. People, civilians, being by taken their own government and killed horrifically for an arbitrary reason is sick.
cee1gee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cee1gee
Member since 2008 • 2042 Posts

WW2 no contest....millions and millions died, tortured behind what we can ever imagine

auron_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 auron_16
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts
It's war. It's brutal in general.
Mario_Eater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mario_Eater
Member since 2010 • 344 Posts
I'm going to go with WW1 here, purely for the horrid waste of life. The new-fangled weapons and technology (ie. Machine-guns and tanks) combined with outdated tactics and incompetent commanders (at least on the Allied side) led to the creation of a stalemate where both sides would blindly send men to their deaths all for a gain of a few hundred metres, only to be lost the next day. Now imagine that over a period of 4 years across much of France and continental Europe and the amount of life wasted is sickening. Warfare was far more efficient and developed in WW2 so although there might have been more deaths, not all the deaths were 'wasted' like WW1. I understand that the Holocaust was atrocious but it wasn't 'part' of the war per-se, it had more to do with the internal political machinations of the Nazi party than it had to do with the fighting.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
On the actual war part it was WWI. What happened behind the scenes of WWII was arguably much worse. At least WWII there was some kind of reason that is generally agreed to be one of the best reasons ever for going to war. WWI was a bunch of empires being babies.
Zariano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zariano
Member since 2012 • 60 Posts
I'd rather fight in World War II due to the better medical care and lack of trench warfare, but I'd say it was more horrific overall, especially when you consider civilian lives and what they did to some of the prisoners of war.
Cybrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Cybrian
Member since 2007 • 189 Posts
I'd rather fight in World War II due to the better medical care and lack of trench warfare, but I'd say it was more horrific overall, especially when you consider civilian lives and what they did to some of the prisoners of war.Zariano
Well said. I agree.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

In the battlefield: WW1. Worse medical tech + horribly outdated tactics colliding with new tech + poison gas= hell.

-Men were ordered by the tens of thousands at times to march through barb wirded fields, raining down artilarly shells, the air often toxic, the ground a quagmire laced with bodies spilling forth with disease, and the enemy sending an endless supply of machine gun bulliets on you. All that for a 1% chance to gain a few hundred yards at best.

Including non-battlefield actions:WW2. Not just because of the Holocaust, but German actions in Russia and Japan in china are the peak of human cruelty.

In short: WW1= hell for soldiers, WW2= hell for everyone

Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
World War II by a landslide, especially the Eastern Front. The Western Front was brutal but the real war was on the other side since the Germans had won by 1941, even then only started to lose territory because of the massive scale of the war against Russia.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

WW II, they burned alive thousand and thousand of woman, children and civilians in a matter of seconds.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
WWI , military advance were great, but tactics were not. Men were ordered to simply charge into machine gun fire. The battle of the somme being one of the most bloody battles in human history. Combined with much poorer trench conditions and medical care.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

War, what is it good for?

JustMe64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22 JustMe64
Member since 2008 • 505 Posts

I'm definitely going to have to go with World War I if we are just talking about the actual war part because the tactics were too outdated for the new weaponry they had which created the bloodbath that it was. Treanch warfare is a horrible thing, having to charge trenches with bayonets while taking machine gun fire, poisonous gas exploding around you. The only thing worse was actually living in the disease-infested trenches.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178847 Posts
All wars are horrific.
JustMe64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JustMe64

All wars are horrific. LJS9502_basic

Some more than other though.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]All wars are horrific. JustMe64

Really? Which war doesn't cause death and destruction? Which war doesn't mutilate bodies nor cause mental problems?
Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

Based on what I know (which is little as to WW1) I would have to say WW2.

Haulocaust, the Bomb, massive world wide fighting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

WWII. The Holocaust gives WWII the edge in horror. People, civilians, being by taken their own government and killed horrifically for an arbitrary reason is sick.Agent-Zero
Does the holocaust count as p[art of WWII? I've always viewed it as being seperate.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
WWII because of the trenches :?
Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Philokalia

WWII because of the trenches :?themajormayor

God bless the anzacs at Galipoli! (Not suggesting they were the only ones that suffered of course)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic
WWII because of the trenches :?themajormayor
What????
Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Philokalia

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]WWII because of the trenches :?LJS9502_basic
What????

Also known as Hell on earth. Just study about Galipoli and the anzacs to see why.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="themajormayor"]WWII because of the trenches :?Philokalia

What????

Also known as Hell on earth. Just study about Galipoli and the anzacs to see why.

You did see he put WWII there and not WWI?
Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Philokalia

[QUOTE="Philokalia"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] What????LJS9502_basic

Ah, that just goes to show how little I know in this regard.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
[QUOTE="Philokalia"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] What????LJS9502_basic

Ahh sorry yes I meant WWI of course.
JustMe64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JustMe64

[QUOTE="JustMe64"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]All wars are horrific. LJS9502_basic

Really? Which war doesn't cause death and destruction? Which war doesn't mutilate bodies nor cause mental problems?

Some cause it on a bigger level than others which I would consider more horrific.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="JustMe64"]

JustMe64

Some cause it on a bigger level than others which I would consider more horrific.

So how many deaths do you consider okay?
JustMe64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JustMe64

[QUOTE="JustMe64"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Really? Which war doesn't cause death and destruction? Which war doesn't mutilate bodies nor cause mental problems?LJS9502_basic

You're going into a different issue here of morality. Any amount of deaths by soldiers is okay if the war is for a just cause, but that's beside the point. I never said anything about war being okay, I just said some are more horrific than others. I would consider WWII more horrific than the Kosovo War because there was many more deaths, body mutilation, and mental problems than the Kosovo War.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="JustMe64"]

JustMe64

You're going into a different issue here of morality. Any amount of deaths by soldiers is okay if the war is for a just cause, but that's beside the point. I never said anything about war being okay, I just said some are more horrific than others. I would consider WWII more horrific than the Kosovo War because there was many more deaths, body mutilation, and mental problems than the Kosovo War.

Which brings me back to my question since you ARE using death toll etc as the barometer.
JustMe64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JustMe64

[QUOTE="JustMe64"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] So how many deaths do you consider okay?LJS9502_basic

Which brings me back to my question since you ARE using death toll etc as the barometer.

Oh, I guess I didn't understand your original question. Yes, I am using that as the barometer.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

They were both horrible. I wouldn't want to be apart of either.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Obviously WW2, the genocide and the atomic bomb speak for themselves.

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

WWII cause Pearl Harbor and Holocaust.

Avatar image for TwighlightBlade
TwighlightBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TwighlightBlade
Member since 2012 • 872 Posts

WWI = trench warfare = not pretty

WWII = HOLOCAUST + all other manner of hellish things = horrific

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#44 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

World War II's Eastern front was brutal. I don't know what I would prefer, but I think WWII was more horrific.

Vari3ty
The Pacific wasn't any better. The whole thing was a nightmare
bats94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 bats94
Member since 2012 • 590 Posts

Britain underestimated the length of the war, saying that the Great War would be over by Christmas.

Largest loss of life in a war at the time.

The mass loss of life in the Somme.

With the Great War being the first war to be een as extremely horrific, I'll have to go with the Great War as my vote.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

World War II

The Axis Powers were responsible for the genocide of the Jews (Nazi Germany) and the Chinese (Imperial Japan). In addition, Nazi Germany killed millions of Slavic people, Roma people, homosexuals, disabled people, and bombed the crap out of several European cities, including London, Rotterdam, and Warsaw. Imperial Japan conducted the Rape of Nanjing, in which 300,000 Chinese civilians were brutally massacred by Japanese soldiers. Japan invaded Korea and other Asian countries. Civilian casualties outnumbered combatant deaths at least three-to-one, I believe. Around 60-80 million people were killed. To scale that number of deaths, the population of present-day France and Britain are both about 60-65 million people and Germany's population is 80 million. Conclusion: A crap load of people died.

WW2 was the deadliest military conflict in the world.

kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

World War II overall, but trench warfare was also extremely bad.

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
I'll say the one that involved mustard gas, trench clubs, sepsis and artillery shock syndrome. WWII was significantly more prolific... but in terms of pure combat, I don't think anything could compare to absolutely brutal trench melees using anything and everything to crush a man's skull into red pulp.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts

In the battlefield: WW1. Worse medical tech + horribly outdated tactics colliding with new tech + poison gas= hell.

-Men were ordered by the tens of thousands at times to march through barb wirded fields, raining down artilarly shells, the air often toxic, the ground a quagmire laced with bodies spilling forth with disease, and the enemy sending an endless supply of machine gun bulliets on you. All that for a 1% chance to gain a few hundred yards at best.

Including non-battlefield actions:WW2. Not just because of the Holocaust, but German actions in Russia and Japan in china are the peak of human cruelty.

In short: WW1= hell for soldiers, WW2= hell for everyone

dercoo
Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts
There's no question. Course it's WWII.