Which matters more to you the most: the economy or social issues?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 slowpokebro
Member since 2012 • 572 Posts
Which matters to you the most: the economy or social issues like gay rights/marriage, social security, public education, etc? Is your vote determined by either one of these things?
ScorpionTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ScorpionTroll
Member since 2012 • 810 Posts

Economy. Gays cant get married if they cant even afford a marriage licence.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
They all matter to me. I'm not an idiot that thinks Congress can't focus on both economic and social issues.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I think they're pretty much equally important.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Economy and it's not even close.

pero2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pero2008
Member since 2005 • 2969 Posts

Economy and jobs

slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 slowpokebro
They all matter to me. I'm not an idiot that thinks Congress can't focus on both economic and social issues. l4dak47
The problem I have is that there are people out there who consider social issues unworthy of discussion (mostly cons/reps). Both are important, but I think fixing the social issues is better because the well-being of people in a nation is greatly affected by how they are treated during their lives.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Both. Stupid question.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Economy. Though if I lived in USA, where -in f*cking 2012- things like euthanasia, abortion and gay rights are still somehow "controversial" subjects, social issues would be more important.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 l4dak47
[QUOTE="l4dak47"]They all matter to me. I'm not an idiot that thinks Congress can't focus on both economic and social issues. slowpokebro
The problem I have is that there are people out there who consider social issues unworthy of discussion (mostly cons/reps). Both are important, but I think fixing the social issues is better because the well-being of people in a nation is greatly affected by how they are treated during their lives.

Oh, I know. They're idiots. Not to mention that economic and social issues are often intertwined.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Economical issues. But with the way religious nutjobs are threatening social values these days (even in Canada), that is becoming a bigger problem.
Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
Do we base our answer on our preferred imagination or based on which could actually get fixed faster, and thus, comes first?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

The economy for me, which sucks becuase every polician's views on the economy in this world are terrible.

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

Economy

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
I don't think the issues can even be separated. My stance on both matters is the same: minimize government interference and influence, and abolish it wherever possible. The government has no right to tell people whom they can or cannot associate with or what they can or cannot do on voluntary, non-violent terms. That applies to issues such as gay marriage, drug laws, the economy, foreign policy, etc. The only legitimate function of government is to protect citizens from force or fraud. It is not for the government to provide people with jobs, education, health care, or anything else. It is not for the government to protect people from themselves or dictate to them what the best way is for them to live. It is for the government to attempt to ensure that people can be free to interact and exchange to obtain these things themselves without the threat of force or fraud.
slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 slowpokebro

Both. Stupid question.

Aljosa23
I don't think it's a stupid question. Some people are voting based solely on Obama's less than stellar handling of the economy even though he is clearly on the better side when it comes to changing and rebuilding social issues. People say Mitt's business experience will help fix our economy so they will vote for him. But, then they forget he and his platform are against abortions, against same-sex marriage, cutting aid for the middle and poor class, cutting taxes for the rich when that has never helped, and against women's health choices. Reps are losing the woman and youth vote because of this. Surely this means most people care about the social issues more than the economy. But maybe the economy isn't even as bad as people are saying...hmmmm.
slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 slowpokebro

Both. Stupid question.

Aljosa23
I don't think it's a stupid question. Some people are voting based solely on Obama's less than stellar handling of the economy even though he is clearly on the better side when it comes to changing and rebuilding social issues. People say Mitt's business experience will help fix our economy so they will vote for him. But, then they forget he and his platform are against abortions, against same-sex marriage, cutting aid for the middle and poor class, cutting taxes for the rich when that has never helped, and against women's health choices. Reps are losing the woman and youth vote because of this. Surely this means most people care about the social issues more than the economy. But maybe the economy isn't even as bad as people are saying...hmmmm.
slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 slowpokebro
So to the people saying the economy... Are you voting for Romney? Obama has a bad record with the economy so why does he get a second chance? Romney is a business man. Sure some of his platforms ideas are ridiculous, but he could supposedly fix the economy. The problem is that as president, Romney could push his backwards belief system and put the US back in time mentally. I can't vote for someone like that. :?
Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
So to the people saying the economy... Are you voting for Romney? Obama has a bad record with the economy so why does he get a second chance? Romney is a business man. Sure some of his platforms ideas are ridiculous, but he could supposedly fix the economy. The problem is that as president, Romney could push his backwards belief system and put the US back in time mentally. I can't vote for someone like that. :?slowpokebro
I think some who say economy might say it because on most social issues the absolutes on either end are a minority. The majority of people on the social issues are the "I dont give a **** either way" crowd. But when that crowd is unhappy they obviously want to be happy again. If the economy is bad it effects almost everyone. If you want gay marriage to happen then the majority of the nation needs to not be pissy and you will see support for it shoot back up. Fix the economy, make people happy, they don't care cause they are all high and hippy, and opposition to equality loses strength.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Economy I guess. Prior to Ryan being a factor in the race I would say social issues since both Obama and Romney have pretty much the same economic stances. Ryan's budget though is absolute crap and should be kept as far away from any economy as possible. Financial responsibility my ass. Here there's some real difference between the parties both socially and economically so I tend to go by both equally.
ScorpionTroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ScorpionTroll
Member since 2012 • 810 Posts

So to the people saying the economy... Are you voting for Romney? Obama has a bad record with the economy so why does he get a second chance? Romney is a business man. Sure some of his platforms ideas are ridiculous, but he could supposedly fix the economy. The problem is that as president, Romney could push his backwards belief system and put the US back in time mentally. I can't vote for someone like that. :?slowpokebro
Despite what Romney says during his campaign, socially he's pretty moderate.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 l4dak47

[QUOTE="slowpokebro"]So to the people saying the economy... Are you voting for Romney? Obama has a bad record with the economy so why does he get a second chance? Romney is a business man. Sure some of his platforms ideas are ridiculous, but he could supposedly fix the economy. The problem is that as president, Romney could push his backwards belief system and put the US back in time mentally. I can't vote for someone like that. :?ScorpionTroll

Eh...................
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Economy first and foremost. I didn't vote for Obama last time. I did give him the benefit of the doubt during the last few years (like I did with Clinton, who I voted for on his reelection bid). So far, the best I can say is if there ever was a recovery, it was a jobless recovery. I don't think Obama got the job done. So, it's time for someone else to give it a shot.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts

Both are important, of course. There are also some important issues which have roots in both economical and social problems...like poverty, for example. Social issues and the economy can often tie in together with a lot of significant problems that a country may face.

However, I think I'm personally more inclined to feel passion for social issues, especially since I highly disagree with the way a lot of social issues have been handled in this country (USA) and I dislike the sad, decrepit state of some of our institutions.

slowpokebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 slowpokebro

[QUOTE="slowpokebro"]So to the people saying the economy... Are you voting for Romney? Obama has a bad record with the economy so why does he get a second chance? Romney is a business man. Sure some of his platforms ideas are ridiculous, but he could supposedly fix the economy. The problem is that as president, Romney could push his backwards belief system and put the US back in time mentally. I can't vote for someone like that. :?ScorpionTroll

I used to not really mind the idea of him being president, but in the end it does matter what he says. What he says energizes people... to think the wrong way. The president of the United States shouldn't do that. He would win and then start going back on the things he said.
juden41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 juden41
Member since 2010 • 4447 Posts
Economy is so much more important. Social issues are something that the average joe has a greater access to and impact on. If you want to change the social issue, simply change your behavior. Economic issues are more things to do with taxes/red tape that an average person can't get their hands on, which makes it much more crucial to get it right.
TwoFace-BS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TwoFace-BS
Member since 2011 • 9531 Posts
At the moment,economy. If it wasnt so bad,social issues
TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

I'm not sure but I am sure paul is the worst candidate from either party.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#30 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
[QUOTE="slowpokebro"]Which matters to you the most: the economy or social issues like gay rights/marriage, social security, public education, etc? Is your vote determined by either one of these things?

Both are crucial important aspects of society. In my opinion, the social issues of countries are ultimately the most important aspects. They are how someone can tell about a nation's ethics.
Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
If I had to pick just one, the economy.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
I weigh on both equally.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#33 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
If you don't have both, you might as well roll over into a ditch somewhere.
IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 IdioticIcarus
Member since 2012 • 2167 Posts

Both are important, but I think on a personal level, social issues matter more to me.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Social security is an economic issue.

Public education is largely an economic issue.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Both. Stupid question.

slowpokebro

I don't think it's a stupid question. Some people are voting based solely on Obama's less than stellar handling of the economy even though he is clearly on the better side when it comes to changing and rebuilding social issues. People say Mitt's business experience will help fix our economy so they will vote for him.

Stop buying into the lies. Obama is not to blame for the sorry state of the economy. He inherited a once in a century collapse which is still in the process of unfolding across the globe.

In the long run, Obama's policies will work for the economy.

Romney's policies will work, but only for guys like him.

GC4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GC4ever
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts

economy
i would like to have a job please...

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

Economy first and foremost. I didn't vote for Obama last time. I did give him the benefit of the doubt during the last few years (like I did with Clinton, who I voted for on his reelection bid). So far, the best I can say is if there ever was a recovery, it was a jobless recovery. I don't think Obama got the job done. So, it's time for someone else to give it a shot.

jun_aka_pekto

I don't think you understand how the economy works....one man doesn't have much power compared to international monitary forces that are what are really at work.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

On the whole I care more about economic issues, but in the current political environment where I don't particularly agree with either party on economic issues, I tend to side with Democrats simply because I generally find social conservatism to be disgusting.

Honestly if there were a party that were somewhat economically conservative (not as far as libertarians) and socially liberal, they'd win my vote easily. I keep hoping in vain that that's where one of the major parties will tend to...

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Both, anyone who says economy far and away isn't really thinking straight. If excessive social injustices are happening, what's the point of a good economy?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

On the whole I care more about economic issues, but in the current political environment where I don't particularly agree with either party on economic issues, I tend to side with Democrats simply because I generally find social conservatism to be disgusting.

Honestly if there were a party that were somewhat economically conservative (not as far as libertarians) and socially liberal, they'd win my vote easily. I keep hoping in vain that that's where one of the major parties will tend to...

chessmaster1989
What type of economically conservative policies do you have in mind?
Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
I won't vote for a party that has as part of it's platform both the oppression of gays, and women. No matter what else it promises, that alone taints everything they do for me. (not that I think the GOP has a good economic plan, they don't)
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Running the economy of a country is nothing like running a corporation as a C.E.O., and if you've been paying attention to Bain Capital's track record you'd notice that Romney was either not an active C.E.O. or was a C.E.O. who oversaw the offshoring of thousands of Bain jobs. There is no reason to think that a Romney presidency would be better at improving the economy than President Obama, who has, if not as much as he could have, reduced the unemployment rate and has turned economic contraction into economic growth.

Romney has only put forth pieces of a tax plan which would need to create a ridiculous tax burden on lower-income Americans to create a solvent United States government, and Ryan proposed a budget plan which would increase the deficit by a huge amount and create a ridiculous tax burden on lower-income individuals. Honestly, it doesn't matter if you want a stronger economy or a stronger social framework, either way you'd be best off voting for anyone not Republican.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
they're both important. Though I consider anything related to gay marriage to be pretty low on the list of important social issues.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
Economy because I will do whatever I want anyway.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

mattbbpl

Not all of these are strictly conservative policies and I'm mostly describing in fairly non-specific ways, but...

Reforming of the tax code to a mildly progressive income tax, with no deductions or exemptions. Possible implementation of a national consumption tax. Elimination of corporate tax. Elimination of estate tax. Overhaul of and cuts to social welfare, cuts to military spending, reform of social security (privitization is another interesting issues which I've been considering in some depth of late, and have not yet reached a decision on). These are a few of the main ones at least.

A large part of where I disagree with libertarians is on the Federal Reserve/monetary policy and on Keynesianism.

Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
Honestly if there were a party that were somewhat economically conservative (not as far as libertarians) and socially liberal, they'd win my vote easily. I keep hoping in vain that that's where one of the major parties will tend to...chessmaster1989
That would be a great thing, but we shouldn't hold our breath. I weep for the fact that I cannot even consider the Republicans.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

chessmaster1989

Not all of these are strictly conservative policies and I'm mostly describing in fairly non-specific ways, but...

Reforming of the tax code to a mildly progressive income tax, with no deductions or exemptions. Possible implementation of a national consumption tax. Elimination of corporate tax. Elimination of estate tax. Overhaul of and cuts to social welfare, cuts to military spending, reform of social security (privitization is another interesting issues which I've been considering in some depth of late, and have not yet reached a decision on). These are a few of the main ones at least.

A large part of where I disagree with libertarians is on the Federal Reserve/monetary policy and on Keynesianism.

I can't say I agree with them all, but thanks for elaborating.
kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
The economy; I'm not a values voter and would prefer that a lot of things that fall under that category be left out of politics/government completely