When do you think human life begins?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VacantPsalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 VacantPsalm
Member since 2008 • 3600 Posts
.The first thing you need to figure out is what makes a human a "human." Being religious I think it has to do with a soul. I believe your soul is in your heart / blood. So once you have that then you're human. Which is why I picked the second option. Question for the people who think it has to do with self awareness. Are you aware of yourself when you are asleep? If not then do you think you lose all rights as a person while asleep? How can you judge what life is by YOU being aware of them being aware of what's happening in the world? (I say it that way because I can't see how you know fetuses aren't self aware.)
As for how I know that a fetus can't emphasize. I know because of Science. That might not matter to a religious zealot like you, but research and extensive evidence have given us all the reason to believe that a fetus isn't capable of emotion and self-awareness.deepdreamer256
What about people in a coma? Are they still human? PS: Pretty underlined words for all of us? Hura for beta.:? Will this fix it... Nope.
deepdreamer256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#52 deepdreamer256
Member since 2005 • 7140 Posts
This is not only baffling, but extremely scary, and reminiscent of Hitler's attempts to create an Aryan race through removal of any undesirables. mrcong
I'm sorry, but that removed any chance you would have of having a constructive argument from me. Take your ad hominem bull**** to somewhere it is deemed acceptable.
TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#53 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts
Life begins at conception... but Humanity begins at birth.
_Brennan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54 _Brennan_
Member since 2008 • 3241 Posts
I think it truly begins at birth
lovesPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 lovesPR
Member since 2008 • 128 Posts
I think it truly begins at birth_Brennan_
I'm curious as to why it is birth.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 blackregiment
Member since 2007 • 11937 Posts

Assuming that my assumptions are unproven is in itself an assumption which means that that part of your argument almost certainly falls flat as even worse of an assumption than my one. Please stop this, you risk the implosion of the internet.

deepdreamer256

You could alleviate this problem by supplying evidence that an unborn child does not have awareness as you claim, rather than just expecting everyone to accept your opinions as truth.

Please stop this, you risk the implosion of the internet.

deepdreamer256

That's grandstanding!

I assume you mean the convenience of not having the inconvenience of raising a child, why should any mother be burdened with that without being able to choose for herself?

deepdreamer256

How convenient, if times get tough, unload the kids!

Oooh, let me guess, so these cretinous, non-christian child-hating mothers, should be punished for their sins by going through the immensely painful process of child-birth to serve the purposes of a minority interest group? We could have, you know, like baby-factories where mothers are forced to give birth to . . . okay, that's going too far, but from that kind of perspective . . .deepdreamer256

That argument is a straw man and irrelevant.

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 blackregiment

Life begins at conception... but Humanity begins at birth.TenP

So do you think that a person is sub-human until born?

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 blackregiment

I'm sorry, but that removed any chance you would have of having a constructive argument from me. Take your ad hominem (profanity removed) to somewhere it is deemed acceptable.deepdreamer256

Then how about Planned Parenthood. That was the stated intent of Margaret Sanger, its founder.

Those that fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it.

C_BozkurT_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 C_BozkurT_C
Member since 2008 • 3580 Posts
I think it begins at conception, personally.Cube_of_MooN
same here
TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

So do you think that a person is sub-human until born? blackregiment

Yessir.

deepdreamer256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deepdreamer256

[QUOTE="deepdreamer256"]

Oh, to answer your last question, I believe euthanasia is sometimes justified, especially when someone approaching death (focusing on the elderly) is experiencing diabolical pain. You should probably ask the elderly that question, though - about a 50:50 split down my family.

blackregiment

So are you saying that family members can get together and "vote" on whether to pull the plug on an elderly person ora terminally ill person?

No, I was merely referring to how the two branches of my family tree come from contrasting viewpoints.

By the way, there is a law that addresses the right to life, God's Moral Law. That concept of God is a lie. Whether or not it was written by a fake God does not make it different from the US consitution.

As for how I know that a fetus can't emphasize. I know because of Science.

deepdreamer256

Evidence please?Outwardness. If an individual is sentient, it is only fitting to assume it would display outward gestures that show self-awarity. In the case of a fetus it just doesn't seem to do that, it just kind of, you know, sits there. (Albeit at the end it begins kicking around alot, although it's questionable whether that is voluntary or instinctive.) That's not to mention that it's brain isn't fully formed at that age, and the parts of the brain that have been shown by scientific research to control concious thought (the cerebellum, I believe) aren't really active.

That might not matter to a religious zealot like you,

deepdreamer256

No need for personal insults.You are ashamed of being dedicated to your faith? It is true though, because of your ideals you can't understand that kind of viewpoint.

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 blackregiment

I would say that the most logical point would be when the fetus would not be considered clinically dead vis-à-vis its vital signs if it were a human who had already been born.

That said, I know very well that this debate never goes anywhere, so I'm not really interested in discussing the matter terribly deeply.

GabuEx

A fetus has a heartbeat at approx. 42 days.

http://www.drapplebaum.com/pregnancy.html#WHEN%20SHOULD%20A%20HEARTBEAT%20BE%20DETECTED?
Trelaf_TheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Trelaf_TheWise
Member since 2008 • 651 Posts
None of us know for sure when life "begins", it's purely a matter of interpretation and Ideology. So it's pointless to argue. You know from the start that the person isn't going to change his/her mind.
deepdreamer256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 deepdreamer256

[QUOTE="deepdreamer256"]

I'm sorry, but that removed any chance you would have of having a constructive argument from me. Take your ad hominem (profanity removed) to somewhere it is deemed acceptable.blackregiment

Then how about Planned Parenthood. That was the stated intent of Margaret Sanger, its founder.

Planned parenthood is planned by the state, the choice of whether to give life is planned by the individual. It's pretty damned different, if you ask me. And I concur that planned parenthood is a Hitler-esque fascist mostrosity.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="deepdreamer256"]

Oh, to answer your last question, I believe euthanasia is sometimes justified, especially when someone approaching death (focusing on the elderly) is experiencing diabolical pain. You should probably ask the elderly that question, though - about a 50:50 split down my family.

deepdreamer256

So are you saying that family members can get together and "vote" on whether to pull the plug on an elderly person ora terminally ill person?

No, I was merely referring to how the two branches of my family tree come from contrasting viewpoints.

By the way, there is a law that addresses the right to life, God's Moral Law. That concept of God is a lie. Whether or not it was written by a fake God does not make it different from the US consitution.

deepdreamer256

Evidence please?Outwardness. If an individual is sentient, it is only fitting to assume it would display outward gestures that show self-awarity. In the case of a fetus it just doesn't seem to do that, it just kind of, you know, sits there. (Albeit at the end it begins kicking around alot, although it's questionable whether that is voluntary or instinctive.) That's not to mention that it's brain isn't fully formed at that age, and the parts of the brain that have been shown by scientific research to control concious thought (the cerebellum, I believe) aren't really active.

deepdreamer256

No need for personal insults.You are ashamed of being dedicated to your faith? It is true though, because of your ideals you can't understand that kind of viewpoint.

I refuse to discuss anything with anyone that comingles their comments with mine. It is confusing for others to determine who said what.

I do not want your comments to be confused with what I have written.

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 blackregiment

I'm sorry, but that removed any chance you would have of having a constructive argument from me. Take your ad hominem (profanity removed) to somewhere it is deemed acceptable.deepdreamer256

Planned parenthood is planned by the state, the choice of whether to give life is planned by the individual. It's pretty (profanity removed) different, if you ask me. And I concur that planned parenthood is a Hitler-esque fascist mostrosity.deepdreamer256

Planned Parenthood is not a government entity.
deepdreamer256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 deepdreamer256
[QUOTE="deepdreamer256"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="deepdreamer256"]

blackregiment

deepdreamer256

deepdreamer256

I refuse to discuss anything with anyone that comingles their comments with mine. It is confusing for others to determine who said what.

Whoa, what have you done, my entire structure has been corrupted!! Seriously, though, who would confuse your comments for mine when mine are in bold. It's not like people on this forum are colourblind.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"][QUOTE="deepdreamer256"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="deepdreamer256"]

deepdreamer256

deepdreamer256

deepdreamer256

Whoa, what have you done, my entire structure has been corrupted!! Seriously, though, who would confuse your comments for mine when mine are in bold. It's not like people on this forum are colourblind.

You have your way of doing things and I have mine. The quote system is there for a purpose and works quite well.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#69 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

A fetus has a heartbeat at approx. 42 days.

http://www.drapplebaum.com/pregnancy.html#WHEN%20SHOULD%20A%20HEARTBEAT%20BE%20DETECTED?blackregiment

I know, and that's pretty much exactly the sort of thing that I'm talking about.

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#70 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

It is completely abstract.

The term human is completely abstract, well of course apart from biologically speaking.

This whole argument is laughable, tryimg to pin down an abstract concept into a tangible period of time.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#71 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
When the featus reaches viability.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 blackregiment

None of us know for sure when life "begins", it's purely a matter of interpretation and Ideology. So it's pointless to argue. You know from the start that the person isn't going to change his/her mind.Trelaf_TheWise

Those of us that believe God's Word know. God has told us.

Jer 1:4 Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
Jer 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

Psa 139:13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
Psa 139:14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 KOTORkicker
Member since 2007 • 4595 Posts

I believe it begins at conception. What do you think?blackregiment

It's nice to see that you've become less obnoxious and more willing to listen (Or so it seems) in this thread. For this I commend you.

To answer your question, I think that human life began with the first mutation of the DNA to form what is known as humanity. I'm sorry if this goes against your beliefs, but I respect your opinion (Now atleast :P) and so you should respect mine.

deepdreamer256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 deepdreamer256
[QUOTE="deepdreamer256"]

I'm sorry, but that removed any chance you would have of having a constructive argument from me. Take your ad hominem (profanity removed) to somewhere it is deemed acceptable.blackregiment

Planned parenthood is planned by the state, the choice of whether to give life is planned by the individual. It's pretty (profanity removed) different, if you ask me. And I concur that planned parenthood is a Hitler-esque fascist mostrosity.

Oh, christ, so that's what planned parenthood is. Well, I'm no supporter of eugenics, I'll have you know. What if I don't want to argue against someone who constantly attempts to liken me to a person I don't associate my ideas with in the first place? Well, I don't, so good night.
KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 KOTORkicker
Member since 2007 • 4595 Posts

[QUOTE="Trelaf_TheWise"]None of us know for sure when life "begins", it's purely a matter of interpretation and Ideology. So it's pointless to argue. You know from the start that the person isn't going to change his/her mind.blackregiment

Jer 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

Psa 139:13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
Psa 139:14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

Sigh. Looks like I was wrong. So when did God tell you this? Yesterday? This afternoon? A week ago? Please enlighten us as to how you were given this precious information.

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 blackregiment

When the featus reaches viability.helium_flash

Then if a person harms a fetus and it dies, would you suggest that that person would not be guilty of murder or manslaughter if the fetus has not reached viability? Just wondering.

VacantPsalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 VacantPsalm
Member since 2008 • 3600 Posts
...Seriously, though, who would confuse your comments for mine when mine are in bold. It's not like people on this forum are colourblind.deepdreamer256
We can read things in all caps too, but it's still a mod-able thing to do because it annoys some people. And since you posting like that annoys me, I could very well report you. I would have already but I decided to give you a warning first.;) And btw, there totally is a bunch of color blind people here. In fact there was a big thread in GGD talking about it and how it effects video games. That's actually where I got part of my sig from. (Mouse over the two chicks on the sides and text will appear.)

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]A fetus has a heartbeat at approx. 42 days.

GabuEx

I know, and that's pretty much exactly the sort of thing that I'm talking about.

I never thought about it by looking at the reverse of death. Thx Gabu you just made what I believe make even more sense.:o
Trelaf_TheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Trelaf_TheWise
Member since 2008 • 651 Posts

[QUOTE="Trelaf_TheWise"]None of us know for sure when life "begins", it's purely a matter of interpretation and Ideology. So it's pointless to argue. You know from the start that the person isn't going to change his/her mind.blackregiment

See, that's my point. That's something that YOU personally believe and other people don't. Posting scripture isn't going to persuade anybody who disagrees with you...

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="Trelaf_TheWise"]None of us know for sure when life "begins", it's purely a matter of interpretation and Ideology. So it's pointless to argue. You know from the start that the person isn't going to change his/her mind.KOTORkicker

Sigh. Looks like I was wrong. So when did God tell you this? Yesterday? This afternoon? A week ago? Please enlighten us as to how you were given this precious information.

He told us in His revealed Word. Read and study it and you will see.

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="Trelaf_TheWise"]None of us know for sure when life "begins", it's purely a matter of interpretation and Ideology. So it's pointless to argue. You know from the start that the person isn't going to change his/her mind.Trelaf_TheWise

See, that's my point. That's something that YOU personally believe and other people don't. Posting scripture isn't going to persuade anybody who disagrees with you...

That is their free will choice. By the way, the truth does not depend on us to be true. We do not determine truth.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#81 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

[QUOTE="helium_flash"]When the featus reaches viability.blackregiment

Then if a person harms a fetus and it dies, would you suggest that that person would not be guilty of murder or manslaughter if the fetus has not reached viability? Just wondering.

Murder invovles mens rea. Good luck proving malice.
smarb001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#82 smarb001
Member since 2005 • 2325 Posts
I think organisms that are not self aware are sub-human, and therefore are allowed to be killed. Animals, for example, although cruelty is not at all necessary. The only exception to this rule is babies, but unborn fetuses, only recently concieved (dont support late abortion)... its fair game.
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 blackregiment
[QUOTE="blackregiment"][QUOTE="deepdreamer256"]

Planned parenthood is planned by the state, the choice of whether to give life is planned by the individual. It's pretty (profanity removed) different, if you ask me. And I concur that planned parenthood is a Hitler-esque fascist mostrosity.

blackregiment

(blasphemy removed), so that's what planned parenthood is. Well, I'm no supporter of eugenics, I'll have you know. What if I don't want to argue against someone who constantly attempts to liken me to a person I don't associate my ideas with in the first place? Well, I don't, so good night. deepdreamer256

I didn't "liken you" to anyone. I simply pointed out that Planned Parenthood was founded on certain premises that happen to concur with the opinions you expressed.

Please stop co-mingling your comments with mine. It is very confusing to others and makes responding difficult. Why won't you comply with this simple request? Three people have now asked you to use the quote system.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 GabuEx

I think organisms that are not self aware are sub-human, and therefore are allowed to be killed. Animals, for example, although cruelty is not at all necessary. The only exception to this rule is babies, but unborn fetuses, only recently concieved (dont support late abortion)... its fair game.smarb001

How are we defining self-aware?

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 blackregiment

I think organisms that are not self aware are sub-human, and therefore are allowed to be killed. Animals, for example, although cruelty is not at all necessary. The only exception to this rule is babies, but unborn fetuses, only recently concieved (dont support late abortion)... its fair game.smarb001

So if someone is in a coma, suffering from mental illness, or asleep. and therefore unaware, are they "fair game"too?

smarb001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 smarb001

[QUOTE="smarb001"]I think organisms that are not self aware are sub-human, and therefore are allowed to be killed. Animals, for example, although cruelty is not at all necessary. The only exception to this rule is babies, but unborn fetuses, only recently concieved (dont support late abortion)... its fair game.GabuEx

How are we defining self-aware?

Got me there :P By non-self aware I mean animal-like, not thinking, only instinct. Self aware beings such as humans ponder their own existence, examine the world around them, and express raw emotions like love and sorrow like no other living thing can. Ugh, hard to explain.

smarb001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 smarb001

[QUOTE="smarb001"]I think organisms that are not self aware are sub-human, and therefore are allowed to be killed. Animals, for example, although cruelty is not at all necessary. The only exception to this rule is babies, but unborn fetuses, only recently concieved (dont support late abortion)... its fair game.blackregiment

So if someone is in a coma, suffering from mental illness, or asleep. and therefore unaware, are they "fair game"too?

Read my reply to Gabu for detail on what I mean by self aware. Coma and asleep dont really apply.

Mental illness is arguable. I don't wanna get into it.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
it never begins,we're not really alive it's just one big tax dodgemarkop2003
I like this hypothesis. It has that Matrix vibe.
dangerd0g24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 dangerd0g24
Member since 2008 • 1455 Posts
once its brain develops. without one you are noting more then a lump of cells on the side of a uterus.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 GabuEx

Got me there :P By non-self aware I mean animal-like, not thinking, only instinct. Self aware beings such as humans ponder their own existence, examine the world around them, and express raw emotions like love and sorrow like no other living thing can. Ugh, hard to explain.

smarb001

Wouldn't that make all humans sub-human until they start to ask questions about the world?

Ultima_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Ultima_5
Member since 2008 • 1614 Posts
once they can make a pb and j sandwich. then they are able to survive :P
blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 blackregiment
I would like to pose a question since opinions on when life begins, differ. Do posters here feel that it is safe to leave the determination of when life begins to the government in power at the time?
Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#93 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts
this poll is rigged considering the gigantic amount of christians on these forums.
Jonny1966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Jonny1966
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Its past life an Karma ... You be a good good guy guy you get to be Winner

you be a bad guy an your are a slug ...

Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#95 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
I guess at conception.
Jonny1966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Jonny1966
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Sorry my double word post

I got shot , destroyed my vision...

Those pesky UN an the Balkans :( :(

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 blackregiment

this poll is rigged considering the gigantic amount of christians on these forums.mistervengeance

No it is not. Many people ponder this question, be they religious or secular?

mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 mistervengeance

I would like to pose a question since opinions on when life begins, differ. Do posters here feel that it is safe to leave the determination of when life begins to the government in power at the time? blackregiment

yes....

if they have the power to determine MUCH MUCH MORE important things, then yes. without a doubt.

i don't understand why abortion is such a big issue today. roe vs. wade stands after 4 conservative republicans have been president since 1973 and nothing has been done to change that.

much much bigger issues stand before us, the economy, the war, etc.

i don't think we should be spending time bickering over a bunch of religious people who think their standpoint makes more sense than the SUPREME COURT.

i mean come on, who are we to say that the freaking supreme court is wrong?

blackregiment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 blackregiment

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]I would like to pose a question since opinions on when life begins, differ. Do posters here feel that it is safe to leave the determination of when life begins to the government in power at the time? mistervengeance

yes....

if they have the power to determine MUCH MUCH MORE important things, then yes. without a doubt.

i don't understand why abortion is such a big issue today. roe vs. wade stands after 4 conservative republicans have been president since 1973 and nothing has been done to change that.

much much bigger issues stand before us, the economy, the war, etc.

i don't think we should be spending time bickering over a bunch of religious people who think their standpoint makes more sense than the SUPREME COURT.

i mean come on, who are we to say that the freaking supreme court is wrong?

Your whole argument is based on the logical fallacy of an appeal to authority and begging the question. Do you really think that the Supreme Court justices are infallible? Judges are human and make mistakes. Consider the Dred Scott decision.

I also noticed your sig. Since you seem to think the government and the Supreme Court is infallible, then it logically follows that you must feel that any administration, including the current one, is as well.

Finally, I do not accept your premise that any government function is more important than securing the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for every human being, including the unborn. That is why democratic governments are founded.

Does this ring a bell?

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed," The Declaration of Independence.

mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 mistervengeance

[QUOTE="mistervengeance"]this poll is rigged considering the gigantic amount of christians on these forums.blackregiment

No it is not. Many people ponder this question, be they religious or secular?

so you're saying you could take an accurate presidential poll(who will win mccain or obama)

at a toby keith concert in austin, texas?