When do you think human life begins?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by blackregiment (11937 posts) -
I believe it begins at conception. What do you think?
#2 Posted by ps3wizard45 (12907 posts) -
when you go to college your REAL life truly begins
#3 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
It begins when this thread is derailed.
#4 Posted by Snooky_McGoo (343 posts) -
in your dads balls
#5 Posted by Vfanek (7719 posts) -
At conception life is created. I do however believe that we have the right to end this life.
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
#6 Posted by MetroidPrimePwn (12399 posts) -
As soon as its cells begin to form tissues, I'd suppose...
#7 Posted by Zentrenius (1593 posts) -

I think it starts at conception.

#8 Posted by Cube_of_MooN (9286 posts) -
I think it begins at conception, personally.
#9 Posted by Dasacant (1415 posts) -
At Conception
#10 Posted by blackregiment (11937 posts) -

As soon as its cells begin to form tissues, I'd suppose...MetroidPrimePwn

Do you then mean at conception since DNA from two different people unite and form a being with unique DNA?

#11 Posted by tzar3 (12393 posts) -

in your dads ballsSnooky_McGoo

This. The testes are the vitality of all life. Thus makes it sacred.

#12 Posted by blackregiment (11937 posts) -

At conception life is created. I do however believe that we have the right to end this life.Vfanek

Why do you feel that a person has the right to extinguish the life of another innocent human being?

Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
#13 Posted by DeeJayInphinity (13415 posts) -
I just go all the way..whenever the baby pops out of its mama.
#14 Posted by deepdreamer256 (7140 posts) -

[QUOTE="MetroidPrimePwn"]As soon as its cells begin to form tissues, I'd suppose...blackregiment

Do you then mean at conception since DNA from two different people unite and form a being with unique DNA?

No, he mean when the blob of incomprehensible cells begin to form some sort of structure.
#15 Posted by mrcong (3929 posts) -

I believe life begins at conception.

At conception life is created. I do however believe that we have the right to end this life.Vfanek

If you believe that life begins at conception, then you are in turn admitting that this unborn being has all the same rights as any other living human being. To support the mother's right to kill what you have admitted to be life inevitably leads to support of murder. So by your own admission, anyone should be able to kill anyone else without consequence, since you support the right of one human being to kill another living human being.

#16 Posted by blackregiment (11937 posts) -

I just go all the way..whenever the baby pops out of its mama.DeeJayInphinity

So then do you think the environment, where the life resides, is a determinant of when life begins?

#17 Posted by Zentrenius (1593 posts) -

[QUOTE="Snooky_McGoo"]in your dads ballstzar3

Thus it is blasphemy to kick them. Unless of course, you're an atheist, in which case, they're fair game.

#18 Posted by blackregiment (11937 posts) -
I have a question for those that picked at conception. Do you then agree that an unborn fetus has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, just as any other individual?
Avatar image for DeeJayInphinity
#19 Posted by DeeJayInphinity (13415 posts) -

[QUOTE="DeeJayInphinity"]I just go all the way..whenever the baby pops out of its mama.blackregiment

So then do you think the environment, where the life resides, is a determinant of when life begins?

Yeah sure.. as long as the baby is out of its mom, it has the same rights as any other human being.
This avoids all of the other dumb crap that people argue over.
#20 Posted by deepdreamer256 (7140 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vfanek"]At conception life is created. I do however believe that we have the right to end this life.mrcong

If you believe that life begins at conception, then you are in turn admitting that this unborn being has all the same rights as any other living human being. No he isn't, life and human rights are two completely different subjects. To support the mother's right to kill what you have admitted to be life inevitably leads to support of murder.How so? Wouldn't he argue that there is a difference, especially when the fetus isn't even aware of itself. So by your own admission, anyone should be able to kill anyone else without consequence, since you support the right of one human being to kill another living human being. Ha, if that's not a slippery slope I don't know what is. You have now left age and awarity considerations out of the window to twist his meaning to your own baffling conclusion, that's truly pathetic.

#21 Posted by blackregiment (11937 posts) -
[QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="MetroidPrimePwn"]As soon as its cells begin to form tissues, I'd suppose...deepdreamer256

No, he mean when the blob of incomprehensible cells begin to form some sort of structure.

So you think that life is determined by resemblance to the final form?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
#22 Posted by deactivated-5a79221380856 (13125 posts) -
Human life begins at conception.
#23 Posted by tzar3 (12393 posts) -
[QUOTE="tzar3"]

[QUOTE="Snooky_McGoo"]in your dads ballsZentrenius

Thus it is blasphemy to kick them. Unless of course, you're an atheist, in which case, they're fair game.

Fair game indeed.

#24 Posted by blackregiment (11937 posts) -
[QUOTE="mrcong"]

[QUOTE="Vfanek"]At conception life is created. I do however believe that we have the right to end this life.deepdreamer256

If you believe that life begins at conception, then you are in turn admitting that this unborn being has all the same rights as any other living human being. No he isn't, life and human rights are two completely different subjects. To support the mother's right to kill what you have admitted to be life inevitably leads to support of murder.How so? Wouldn't he argue that there is a difference, especially when the fetus isn't even aware of itself. So by your own admission, anyone should be able to kill anyone else without consequence, since you support the right of one human being to kill another living human being. Ha, if that's not a slippery slope I don't know what is. You have now left age and awarity considerations out of the window to twist his meaning to your own baffling conclusion, that's truly pathetic.

Please use the quote system rather than co-mingle your responses in with another posters so that people can address your statements directly and others are not confused.

#25 Posted by Dark_Knight6 (16619 posts) -
At conception. No one has a right to end the life. We have adoption agencies for a reason.
#26 Posted by Cube_of_MooN (9286 posts) -
I have a question for those that picked at conception. Do you then agree that an unborn fetus has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, just as any other individual? blackregiment
Well, I do believe human life begins at conception, so yeah, I guess.
#27 Posted by achilles614 (5310 posts) -
When they're born, fetus life however is a very different story. (Pro-life btw)
#28 Posted by deepdreamer256 (7140 posts) -
[QUOTE="deepdreamer256"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="MetroidPrimePwn"]As soon as its cells begin to form tissues, I'd suppose...blackregiment

Ask him. I personally believe the life of a human begins as soon as it starts to develop it's unique characteristics. Empathy, self-awareness, ingenuity . . . As for my view on abortion which is what this thread will undoubtedly lead to, I tend to support choice as I believe the suffering caused when an unwanted child is born is usually far worse than the suffering caused death of an emotionless blob of cells. To think that such life could be born from that, though . . .
#29 Posted by Bourbons3 (24248 posts) -
Its life at conception. But true human life, and the rights that come with it, occurs at birth.
#30 Posted by deepdreamer256 (7140 posts) -
[QUOTE="deepdreamer256"][QUOTE="mrcong"]

[QUOTE="Vfanek"]At conception life is created. I do however believe that we have the right to end this life.blackregiment

Please use the quote system rather than co-mingle your responses in with another posters so that people can address your statements directly and others are not confused.

Nah, I prefer this system as it allows me to dissect an argument more easily, by no means do I do it all of the time.
#31 Posted by blackregiment (11937 posts) -

No he isn't, life and human rights are two completely different subjects.

deepdreamer256

The may be different subjects but according to our Constitution, individuals have a right to life. The definition of when life begins has a direct bearing on an individual's rights.

How so? Wouldn't he argue that there is a difference, especially when the fetus isn't even aware of itself

deepdreamer256

And how do you know that?

Ha, if that's not a slippery slope I don't know what is. You have now left age and awarity considerations out of the window to twist his meaning to your own baffling conclusion, that's truly pathetic.

deepdreamer256

So are you saying that the age and awareness of an individual determine their right to life. I believe it is you, not he, that is on a slippery slope. Do you support euthanasia for the elderly, infirm, or mentally disabled as well?

#32 Posted by mrcong (3929 posts) -

At deep dreamer

First off, I'd like to ask you to use the quote system properly. The manner in which you responded to my post could not only confuse people as to who is the author, but it makes it difficult to respond.

No he isn't, life and human rights are two completely different subjects.

Yes, he is. If he admits that life begins at conception, he is thus saying that it is a living human being. This is a quite logical conclusion. And, as such, from its beginning as a single cell to the moment of birth, since it is considered as living, it is secured the exact same rights as any other living human.

How so? Wouldn't he argue that there is a difference, especially when the fetus isn't even aware of itself.

How exactly would you know whether the fetus has self-awareness? Is this an assumption?

Moreover, even if we do assume the fetus has no self-awareness, why should that disqualify it from constitutional protection, or even the acknowledgement of its life? Do you think it would be acceptable to kill a 25-year-old man who is in a serious coma? Does this man, upon his loss of conscienceness and self-awareness, abandon all of his inherent rights? What about a child with a mental handicap? This is the true slippery slope, my friend. If you make self-awareness a necessity for life and the assurance of basic human rights, who knows where it will lead.

Ha, if that's not a slippery slope I don't know what is. You have now left age and awarity considerations out of the window to twist his meaning to your own baffling conclusion, that's truly pathetic.

I have already discussed the matter of self-awareness. Now, are you trying to suggest there are age restrictions to life? Does one not gain its constitutional right to life until 3 weeks? Or how about 1 year? 2 years? Does one lose it at age 90? 100?

This is not only baffling, but extremely scary, and reminiscent of Hitler's attempts to create an Aryan race through removal of any undesirables.

#33 Posted by blackregiment (11937 posts) -
[QUOTE="blackregiment"][QUOTE="deepdreamer256"][QUOTE="mrcong"]

[QUOTE="Vfanek"]At conception life is created. I do however believe that we have the right to end this life.deepdreamer256

Nah, I prefer this system as it allows me to dissect an argument more easily, by no means do I do it all of the time.

Thanks for being "considerate" to a simple request, designed to eliminate confusion and mke responding simpler.

#34 Posted by mrcong (3929 posts) -

Its life at conception. But true human life, and the rights that come with it, occurs at birth.Bourbons3

What is the difference between life and true human life? What does one need in order to be considered a true, living human?

#35 Posted by blackregiment (11937 posts) -
[QUOTE="blackregiment"][QUOTE="deepdreamer256"][QUOTE="blackregiment"]

[QUOTE="MetroidPrimePwn"]As soon as its cells begin to form tissues, I'd suppose...deepdreamer256

Ask him. I personally believe the life of a human begins as soon as it starts to develop it's unique characteristics. Empathy, self-awareness, ingenuity . . . As for my view on abortion which is what this thread will undoubtedly lead to, I tend to support choice as I believe the suffering caused when an unwanted child is born is usually far worse than the suffering caused death of an emotionless blob of cells. To think that such life could be born from that, though . . .

You comment is so full of unproven assumptions that is is not worth comment. I will say that I find it strange that you would support terminating a life for convenience, assuming all the way that the mother would automatically mistreat the child since she didn't want it, and also failing to consider that there is an oversupply of parents wanting to adopt unwanted children.

#36 Posted by Oscar-Wilde (1675 posts) -
when we talk about conception do we talk about fertilization , implantation or just plain spilling the seed? because i hear there's a lot of semantic arguments there. anyways as chronic self-abuser i don't wanna think that I'm some kind of infanticide. that's just awful.
#37 Posted by blackregiment (11937 posts) -

[QUOTE="blackregiment"]I have a question for those that picked at conception. Do you then agree that an unborn fetus has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, just as any other individual? Cube_of_MooN
Well, I do believe human life begins at conception, so yeah, I guess.

I agree with you on that. I believe rights begin with life at conception.

#38 Posted by blackregiment (11937 posts) -

when we talk about conception do we talk about fertilization , implantation or just plain spilling the seed? because i hear there's a lot of semantic arguments there. anyways as chronic self-abuser i don't wanna think that I'm some kind of infanticide. that's just awful.Oscar-Wilde

At the union of the sperms and the egg.

#39 Posted by Oscar-Wilde (1675 posts) -

[QUOTE="Oscar-Wilde"]when we talk about conception do we talk about fertilization , implantation or just plain spilling the seed? because i hear there's a lot of semantic arguments there. anyways as chronic self-abuser i don't wanna think that I'm some kind of infanticide. that's just awful.blackregiment

At the union of the sperms and the egg.

Then i guess i agree at conception.

#40 Posted by blackregiment (11937 posts) -

At conception. No one has a right to end the life. We have adoption agencies for a reason. Dark_Knight6

Well said, I agree.

#41 Posted by blackregiment (11937 posts) -

Its life at conception. But true human life, and the rights that come with it, occurs at birth.Bourbons3

So using your logic, if someone, say a third person, harms an unborn fetus, and it dies, they are not chargeable with murder since according to your definition, the child hasn't been born yet and therefore has no right to life?

#42 Posted by blackregiment (11937 posts) -
Well I have tto go for a bit. I will be back. I have enjoyed the discussion. God bless
#44 Posted by markop2003 (29917 posts) -
it never begins,we're not really alive it's just one big tax dodge
#45 Posted by Grodus5 (7934 posts) -
When the fetus can survive outside the mother's body.
#46 Posted by lovesPR (128 posts) -
the only scientific and non-arbitrary moment at which we can say that life begins is at conception.
#47 Posted by deepdreamer256 (7140 posts) -
[QUOTE="deepdreamer256"] Ask him. I personally believe the life of a human begins as soon as it starts to develop it's unique characteristics. Empathy, self-awareness, ingenuity . . . As for my view on abortion which is what this thread will undoubtedly lead to, I tend to support choice as I believe the suffering caused when an unwanted child is born is usually far worse than the suffering caused death of an emotionless blob of cells. To think that such life could be born from that, though . . .blackregiment

You comment is so full of unproven assumptions that is is not worth comment. I will say that I find it strange that you would support terminating a life for convenience, assuming all the way that the mother would automatically mistreat the child since she didn't want it,You mean she changes her mind upon conception? Possibly, but that doesn't deny her the right of choice perhaps and also failing to consider that there is an oversupply of parents wanting to adopt unwanted children.

Assuming that my assumptions are unproven is in itself an assumption which means that that part of your argument almost certainly falls flat as even worse of an assumption than my one. Please stop this, you risk the implosion of the internet.I assume you mean the convenience of not having the inconvenience of raising a child, why should any mother be burdened with that without being able to choose for herself?Oooh, let me guess, so these cretinous, non-christian child-hating mothers, should be punished for their sins by going through the immensely painful process of child-birth to serve the purposes of a minority interest group? We could have, you know, like baby-factories where mothers are forced to give birth to . . . okay, that's going too far, but from that kind of perspective . . .
#48 Posted by lovesPR (128 posts) -
When the fetus can survive outside the mother's body.Grodus5
but that's changing all the time. a few thousand years ago it had to be the full 9 months. in the next 50 years who knows? we might have artificial placentas so babies can survive births from WAY earlier.
#49 Posted by GabuEx (36552 posts) -

I would say that the most logical point would be when the fetus would not be considered clinically dead vis-à-vis its vital signs if it were a human who had already been born.

That said, I know very well that this debate never goes anywhere, so I'm not really interested in discussing the matter terribly deeply.

#50 Posted by blackregiment (11937 posts) -

Oh, to answer your last question, I believe euthanasia is sometimes justified, especially when someone approaching death (focusing on the elderly) is experiencing diabolical pain. You should probably ask the elderly that question, though - about a 50:50 split down my family.

deepdreamer256

So are you saying that family members can get together and "vote" on whether to pull the plug on an elderly person ora terminally ill person?

By the way, there is a law that addresses the right to life, God's Moral Law.

As for how I know that a fetus can't emphasize. I know because of Science.

deepdreamer256

Evidence please?

That might not matter to a religious zealot like you,

deepdreamer256

No need for personal insults.