What's your job/career choice?

• 114 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trollsters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Trollsters
Member since 2009 • 637 Posts
[QUOTE="Trollsters"][QUOTE="rawsavon"] Ya, but you have to be in sales...not for everyone...not for me. But if you are good at it and enjoy it, then it can be a very good career. But college may have helped with your spelling: "career" not "carrier" (joking...sort of)rawsavon
I dont like debt much, im 24 and debt free except my mortgage. Lets say you spend 40k to go to college. and you get a job making 30k a year. (this is a pretty high starting salary for most college grads my wife makes less with a 4 yr degree) how many years will it take for you to receive a return on your investment? I paid $50 for my GED, ive made a return on my investment just posting on these boards today and yesterday.

Wow...sucks for your wife. Not trying to be argumentative, but I do not know any college grads making less than 36,000 (my GF started out at that teaching) But that is neither here nor there. I agreed that you can make a very good living in sales...but it is not for everyone...many don't want to do it (me) and many would not be very good at it. So you can make good money w/out a degree (sales, own your own business, etc.) But college is about more than just your take home pay, IMO. 1. Experience...greatest time of my life...same with all my friends. 2. Learning...about more than future job. I enjoy learning. Love it in fact. It is unreal how much I changed, matured, grew, and learned in college. My world view changed a ton. Also, you get to learn important things that you never would have been exposed to otherwise. 3. No ceiling with degree...yes you could start your own company, but you will never reach top level without a degree at a major company (CEO is where the $$$ is in business). Also, many jobs require a degree. So I am glad that you are happy with your choice. But that choice is not for everyone: some want other types of jobs; want to make more than 60,000; want the expereince; etc. In the end though, I hope that everyone is as happy with their choices as you are with yours

Most college grads have one big problem experience > education. When my wife graduated she expected to find a job just sitting there waiting for her making 6 figures. what she didnt know is that what she wanted to get into (marketing) is a very experience related job and no one wants to hire someone without experience. so she found the job she has now marketing coordinator at a fitness facility and while she doesnt make alot, its great experience to get her foot in the door somewhere later. The reason i got into sales is my uncle, he is like me, little education and in sales. he made somewhere around 600k last year selling printers/faxes to very large corporations in vary large bulks. it took him many years to get to a position like that, starting in jobs like mine. ive got 3 years in sales now and im only 24. the sky is the limit in sales. People put this bad stigma on sales like you sit there all day cold calling people, and while some positions are like that, the good ones arent. i only deal with clients with current accounts with us, so no cold calling. its easy as cake i pretty much just take orders.
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts

I work in the entertainment industry. I am being trained to be a talent agent. Maybe I will find someone in OT to be the next big Hollywood star. :D

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

I've got my degree in info sys management and I decided it's not for me, so I am currently doing a LLB in law, and then do my masters in international relations. My dream job is actually working for a world organisation at a high level. I will have many options avaliable to me once I complete my law degree though so my career path can change at anytime. I don't want to be a lawyer though.. very shady business and it's a tough field, only the best of the best really make the big money.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Trollsters"] I dont like debt much, im 24 and debt free except my mortgage. Lets say you spend 40k to go to college. and you get a job making 30k a year. (this is a pretty high starting salary for most college grads my wife makes less with a 4 yr degree) how many years will it take for you to receive a return on your investment? I paid $50 for my GED, ive made a return on my investment just posting on these boards today and yesterday.Trollsters
Wow...sucks for your wife. Not trying to be argumentative, but I do not know any college grads making less than 36,000 (my GF started out at that teaching) But that is neither here nor there. I agreed that you can make a very good living in sales...but it is not for everyone...many don't want to do it (me) and many would not be very good at it. So you can make good money w/out a degree (sales, own your own business, etc.) But college is about more than just your take home pay, IMO. 1. Experience...greatest time of my life...same with all my friends. 2. Learning...about more than future job. I enjoy learning. Love it in fact. It is unreal how much I changed, matured, grew, and learned in college. My world view changed a ton. Also, you get to learn important things that you never would have been exposed to otherwise. 3. No ceiling with degree...yes you could start your own company, but you will never reach top level without a degree at a major company (CEO is where the $$$ is in business). Also, many jobs require a degree. So I am glad that you are happy with your choice. But that choice is not for everyone: some want other types of jobs; want to make more than 60,000; want the expereince; etc. In the end though, I hope that everyone is as happy with their choices as you are with yours

Most college grads have one big problem experience > education. When my wife graduated she expected to find a job just sitting there waiting for her making 6 figures. what she didnt know is that what she wanted to get into (marketing) is a very experience related job and no one wants to hire someone without experience. so she found the job she has now marketing coordinator at a fitness facility and while she doesnt make alot, its great experience to get her foot in the door somewhere later. The reason i got into sales is my uncle, he is like me, little education and in sales. he made somewhere around 600k last year selling printers/faxes to very large corporations in vary large bulks. it took him many years to get to a position like that, starting in jobs like mine. ive got 3 years in sales now and im only 24. the sky is the limit in sales. People put this bad stigma on sales like you sit there all day cold calling people, and while some positions are like that, the good ones arent. i only deal with clients with current accounts with us, so no cold calling. its easy as cake i pretty much just take orders.

Ya, certain degrees are hard to get good jobs in when you graduate (general business, marketing, etc.). You need to: 1. know people/have connections 2. get experience/pay your dues But some degrees are easy to get a good job with (accounting, chemical engineer, etc.) I was not trying to say there was anything wrong with sales by any means. My dad is a retail man (owned/managed clothing stores for nearl 30 years). I worked retail for a very long time. Sales people have my respect. But it is just not for me...you are either a salesman or you aren't...can't be taught IMO. I was not trying to knock sales. Just trying to point out that college opens more doors for you and provides an awesome life experience...that is all. But you can have a great life either way...just be happy with the choices you have made.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 rawsavon

I work in the entertainment industry. I am being trained to be a talent agent. Maybe I will find someone in OT to be the next big Hollywood star. :D

Sajedene
Ask and ye shall receive...Here I am :)
--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

I'm a Registered Nurse.

Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Sajedene
[QUOTE="Sajedene"]

rawsavon

Lol what happened to accounting? (And I totally see where you are coming from in regards to sales - and that whole marketing thing without experience is true for any decent paying job - but a smart person would have started taking internships in college to get that experience to get hired as soon as one graduated - which is what I did).
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 rawsavon

I'm a Registered Nurse.

--Anna--
There sure are a lot of nurses on here...so much for the shortage...now If I could only have a nurse around on the weekends when I really need one :)
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Espada12

I dont like debt much, im 24 and debt free except my mortgage. Lets say you spend 40k to go to college. and you get a job making 30k a year. (this is a pretty high starting salary for most college grads my wife makes less with a 4 yr degree) how many years will it take for you to receive a return on your investment? I paid $50 for my GED, ive made a return on my investment just posting on these boards today and yesterday.Trollsters

It seriously depends on the degree. Accounting, IT and Engineering degrees can land you high paying jobs the minute you leave school. Others like history, english,creative writing and marketing are not so great at doing so.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 rawsavon
[QUOTE="Sajedene"][QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Sajedene"]

Lol what happened to accounting? (And I totally see where you are coming from in regards to sales - and that whole marketing thing without experience is true for any decent paying job - but a smart person would have started taking internships in college to get that experience to get hired as soon as one graduated - which is what I did).

You should know (as my future talent agent) that accounting is but one of my many, many talents...
FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

career wise.... I'm a failure.

Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Sajedene
[QUOTE="Sajedene"][QUOTE="rawsavon"] Ask and ye shall receive...Here I am :)rawsavon

You should know (as my future talent agent) that accounting is but one of my many, many talents...

Lets make sure that on your resume you know how to do a balance sheet and can distinguish between your debits and credits then.
Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
Right now I'm working on getting my Bachelor's in Biology and I might minor in Sociology... And then I dunno. :(
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Sajedene"] Lol what happened to accounting? (And I totally see where you are coming from in regards to sales - and that whole marketing thing without experience is true for any decent paying job - but a smart person would have started taking internships in college to get that experience to get hired as soon as one graduated - which is what I did).Sajedene

Lets make sure that on your resume you know how to do a balance sheet and can distinguish between your debits and credits then.

No Ma'am...we are placing Accounting at the bottom of the resume...nothing sexay about accounting. We will put the other degrees at the top. I could be sexay math teacher boy. or I could be sexay psychologist boy. There is no sexay accountant boy.
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

I want to finish my degree in physical therapy, then go to med school, finish that too, and most probably specialize in rehab medicine.

Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Sajedene
[QUOTE="Sajedene"][QUOTE="rawsavon"] You should know (as my future talent agent) that accounting is but one of my many, many talents...rawsavon

No Ma'am...we are placing Accounting at the bottom of the resume...nothing sexay about accounting. We will put the other degrees at the top. I could be sexay math teacher boy. or I could be sexay psychologist boy. There is no sexay accountant boy.

I dont know... anything business-y and a guy in a full tailored suit and tie talking about bussiness-y stuff is HOT.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Sajedene"] Lets make sure that on your resume you know how to do a balance sheet and can distinguish between your debits and credits then. Sajedene

I dont know... anything business-y and a guy in a full tailored suit and tie talking about bussiness-y stuff is HOT.

That is why you are the agent and I am just the ignorant talent. Pics of me in a Grey CK suit are on the way :)
realistic44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 realistic44
Member since 2008 • 8458 Posts

Im majoring in business/magn, so hopefully i can move on from that and host my own company.

Avatar image for Console_Gamer93
Console_Gamer93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Console_Gamer93
Member since 2007 • 2712 Posts

Major in Civil Engineering. Don't know what specficially yet. Probably structures.

Maqda7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#71 Maqda7
Member since 2008 • 3299 Posts
I want to be a doctor. I'll be taking pre-med this year, take the MCAT exam in 3 years and if I pass (hopefully) i'll get into medicine. If not, i'll continue with something physics related. Haven't really thought about a plan B really.
Foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Foggel
Member since 2008 • 941 Posts

Marketing manager. Hoping that one day the CEM chair will be mine.

Edit: Seen Mad Men? Yeah, that's me right there. Whiskey during lunch, and that.

tony3752

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 tony3752
Member since 2009 • 50 Posts
Follow your heart, nursing is a good career. I'm in the medical field myself.
HybridPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 HybridPhoenix
Member since 2007 • 3598 Posts
I was going for psychology/international relations...now I think I'm going to be a teacher/double as a high school guidance councilar. but I really want to be a musician
cpo335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#75 cpo335
Member since 2002 • 5463 Posts
Army Ranger or Navy SEAL. Something. The military is in my future though.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#76 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
Our situations are uncannily similar. :lol: Except I don't have any intention of becoming a forensic examiner. :P
ClassicPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#77 ClassicPlayer
Member since 2007 • 1003 Posts

I want to be a Video Game Director, I'm 16 and have thought long and hard on how to do it. I'm already brainstorming an idea of mine down :o

Penguinchow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Penguinchow
Member since 2006 • 1629 Posts
Crop Dusting as soon as i get out of flight school!
MiddMann93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 MiddMann93
Member since 2009 • 44 Posts

Air Force Fighter Pilot... Yes

RedWolves_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 RedWolves_
Member since 2009 • 471 Posts
Our situations are uncannily similar. :lol: Except I don't have any intention of becoming a forensic examiner. :P raven_squad
Yeah, all my friends think I'm crazy. I worked on a Hospice unit with is terminally ill, death/dying so I've dealt with a lot of death. I love forensics, science, and just all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes to solve crimes. I didn't want to be a police officer, but I met several medical examiners in my city and it seems like a cool job. It's surprising how many Premed students or hopefuls we have here.
flordeceres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 flordeceres
Member since 2005 • 4662 Posts

Architecture

effena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#82 effena
Member since 2008 • 2811 Posts

I went to college right after high school. I'm working on a bachelor of social work. I'll see if I like the carrer. if I dont, I may go back to school and study law. Become a defense lawyer maybe.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

The ultimate plan is to try and work as a composer/sound designer for videogames.

But that's not going so well at the moment, so I really need some kind of backup plan... which I'm quite seriously panicking about at the moment, particularly since I'm unemployed right now

RevolutionGun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 RevolutionGun
Member since 2009 • 243 Posts
I want to jump out of airplanes and blow stuff up.
PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#85 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

Finishing up my BS in biotechnology. I'll probably work in medical R&D.

SickBoy724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 SickBoy724
Member since 2009 • 364 Posts
In the USAF working on planes in less than a month. Go to school. Get a BA in Business Management. Find some job. Open up my own auto shop.
xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts
I'd love to have my money make money for me, but since I don't have any to start with, gotta figure out how to get some first.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

Music. I teach at a college and privately, performing and composing as time permits. And I handle my own investments, too.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts
computer engineer.. design asics for servers...
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts

Don't know guess i'll find out. Right now is civil engineering

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts

Marketing manager. Hoping that one day the CEM chair will be mine.

Edit: Seen Mad Men? Yeah, that's me right there. Whiskey during lunch, and that.

Foggel
you going to have a secretary with an unusually large rack? :P
ayanami_rei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 ayanami_rei
Member since 2005 • 17115 Posts
I want to be an author/novelist. :)
MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#93 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts
Radiologist
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
shifty lawyer
svm128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 svm128
Member since 2007 • 376 Posts

I don't really have a goal, but I like to do different things such as an astronaut, play in the NFL, or even create my own show. In the future I'll just go whatever life leads me to. life

KenshinGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 KenshinGirl
Member since 2004 • 9454 Posts

I work as a landscaper. Pays well, minimal interaction with people, and I can run off and do what I want whenever I feel like it.

Avatar image for UnrighteousFury
UnrighteousFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 UnrighteousFury
Member since 2008 • 2764 Posts

I'm a Journalism major, so I'd like to end up writing for some sort of paper/magazine/website.

Lindsosaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Lindsosaurus
Member since 2009 • 1982 Posts

I'm in my 3rd year of grad school for psychology, so yes, I want to be a psychologist. Specifically, my concentration is forensic psychology so I'm gonna work with the crazy criminals.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Espada12

[QUOTE="raven_squad"]Our situations are uncannily similar. :lol: Except I don't have any intention of becoming a forensic examiner. :P RedWolves_
Yeah, all my friends think I'm crazy. I worked on a Hospice unit with is terminally ill, death/dying so I've dealt with a lot of death. I love forensics, science, and just all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes to solve crimes. I didn't want to be a police officer, but I met several medical examiners in my city and it seems like a cool job. It's surprising how many Premed students or hopefuls we have here.

I'm surprised there aren't more law students. :o

RedWolves_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 RedWolves_
Member since 2009 • 471 Posts

I'm in my 3rd year of grad school for psychology, so yes, I want to be a psychologist. Specifically, my concentration is forensic psychology so I'm gonna work with the crazy criminals.

Lindsosaurus
That's awesome. I'm taking Developmental Psych right now and I'm pretty bummed we don't get to talk about forensic psych at all. We touched on it briefly in my Intro to Psych class, definitely my favorite past of the class.