What's your job/career choice?

• 114 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RedWolves_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RedWolves_
Member since 2009 • 471 Posts

Since there have been a couple threads about school related stuff. Namely cheating :P I decided to make a thread and see what you guys wanted to do with yourselves. I'm sure there will be a few people wanting to go into the video game industry or work with computers. That's what I originally intended to go but I'e since switched to nursing. So I want to....

- Get my BSN.

- Work as an ER nurse.

- Go back and get my masters in forensics.

- Work for a medical examiner or police.

What about you guys?

Avatar image for Forever_Changes
Forever_Changes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Forever_Changes
Member since 2008 • 428 Posts

I have no idea :cry:

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
I want to talk about Jesus for a living. In other words, I'm currently a seminary student working on my Masters in Divinity so that I can become a pastor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 avatar_genius
Member since 2009 • 8056 Posts
computer animator
KevinCamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 KevinCamp24
Member since 2006 • 626 Posts

I used to want to be a cop, but now that I'm a little older and almost out of high school I'm trying to weigh out my options a little bit, and now I'm lost. :(

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Opera Singer
RedWolves_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RedWolves_

I have no idea :cry:

Forever_Changes
Don't feel bad. I only decided not to long ago. I was drifting between film editing/video game programming or design... and somehow ended up with nursing.:? Don't really know how it worked out but I like it so far.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#8 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
I'm going to get my BA in Philosophy and then maybe think about a Phd in something geared towards writing... I don't know.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
Computer Technician. I was planning on making this my secondary career behind game design, but i may just stick with computer technology only....
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
My current Job is Accounting. My goal is to continue to get as many degrees as possible...although I do not know how I am going to make that happen at this point. I had to stop just short of 4 to start paying off student loans. Don't know how I will get back.
bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
I want to get into acting/voice acting/modeling.
RedWolves_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RedWolves_

My current Job is Accounting. My goal is to continue to get as many degrees as possible...although I do not know how I am going to make that happen at this point. I had to stop just short of 4 to start paying off student loans. Don't know how I will get back.rawsavon
Why so many degrees? Do you already have three? No offense, but instead of taking out loans to keep going to school why don't you put one of those degrees to use? I'm not judging or condemning. I'm just curious.

ufcfan17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ufcfan17
Member since 2009 • 1641 Posts

I'm gonna be an UFC fighter one day.Believe it or not

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

The major I am in, will most likely lead me to the educational system as a teacher of Junior High School and High School. If I get a higher degree than the standard the one a university offers I may be able to become a university professor.

But I dont know what I want (not out of the things I mentioned, but generally).

RedWolves_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RedWolves_

ufcfan17
Go for it man. Do what you love. Just don't get beat senseless trying to get there. ;)
Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
I plan on getting a Bachelors and Masters in Mathematics, and then go into some kind of engineering field or something. Not like a full fledged engineer, but almost all places have a Mathematician.(or so says the bureau of labor statistics website.)
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]My current Job is Accounting. My goal is to continue to get as many degrees as possible...although I do not know how I am going to make that happen at this point. I had to stop just short of 4 to start paying off student loans. Don't know how I will get back.RedWolves_

Why so many degrees? Do you already have three? No offense, but instead of taking out loans to keep going to school why don't you put one of those degrees to use? I'm not judging or condemning. I'm just curious.

That's cool, I get that a lot. I love school (college), and I love learning. If I won the lottery I would go to school forever...I just made it last as long as I could :) To answer your other question: Yes, I already have 3 degrees (Psychology, HS Math Teacher, Accounting). I am 4 classes away from my math degree. But I would love to just go to school and get "worthless" degrees (see hard to find jobs) in Philosophy, History, Political Science, Economics, Sociology...among many others.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rawsavon

ufcfan17
Your ears will never be the same :(
ufcfan17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ufcfan17
Member since 2009 • 1641 Posts

[QUOTE="ufcfan17"]

rawsavon

Yep ur right...from standing ovation

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mindstorm
[QUOTE="RedWolves_"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]My current Job is Accounting. My goal is to continue to get as many degrees as possible...although I do not know how I am going to make that happen at this point. I had to stop just short of 4 to start paying off student loans. Don't know how I will get back.rawsavon

That's cool, I get that a lot. I love school (college), and I love learning. If I won the lottery I would go to school forever...I just made it last as long as I could :) To answer your other question: Yes, I already have 3 degrees (Psychology, HS Math Teacher, Accounting). I am 4 classes away from my math degree. But I would love to just go to school and get "worthless" degrees (see hard to find jobs) in Philosophy, History, Political Science, Economics, Sociology...among many others.

I'd actually love to do the same. However, I'd want all my degrees to benefit my profession. One of my previous profs has a doctorate in Greek, a doctorate in Hebrew, and three Masters degrees. He makes me soooo jealous. lol
RedWolves_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RedWolves_

[QUOTE="RedWolves_"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]My current Job is Accounting. My goal is to continue to get as many degrees as possible...although I do not know how I am going to make that happen at this point. I had to stop just short of 4 to start paying off student loans. Don't know how I will get back.rawsavon

No problem man. My mom is back in school get her PhD in English. (She was a nurse originally). I love learning too but wouldn't want to spend that much time in school. If being a student is what you love then by all means get a decent job that supports you taking classes and become an knowledgable as possible. :D

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="ufcfan17"]

ufcfan17

Yep ur right...from standing ovation

I was going more for the cauliflower look they all get...the sole reason I quit taking Jiu Jitsu
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="RedWolves_"] Why so many degrees? Do you already have three? No offense, but instead of taking out loans to keep going to school why don't you put one of those degrees to use? I'm not judging or condemning. I'm just curious.

RedWolves_

No problem man. My mom is back in school get her PhD in English. (She was a nurse originally). I love learning too but wouldn't want to spend that much time in school. If being a student is what you love then by all means get a decent job that supports you taking classes and become an knowledgable as possible. :D

Thanks. You are a very polite person...rare on here. :) But Accounting leaves little room for school and social life...not giving up social life. So here is to winning the lottery...mega jackpot FTW
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="RedWolves_"] Why so many degrees? Do you already have three? No offense, but instead of taking out loans to keep going to school why don't you put one of those degrees to use? I'm not judging or condemning. I'm just curious.

mindstorm

I'd actually love to do the same. However, I'd want all my degrees to benefit my profession. One of my previous profs has a doctorate in Greek, a doctorate in Hebrew, and three Masters degrees. He makes me soooo jealous. lol

From what I have seen on here, you are going to make an excellent preacher regardless.
But it never hurts to better yourself and your understanding of the Bible.
I hope you will let us (the OT) know when you start ministering in a church...maybe you can put it up on the internet...that is how I watch my church back home.

RedWolves_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RedWolves_
It has nothing to do with my major, and I'm not religious at all but I would LOVE to take a religious history class. Do you enjoy them mindstorm?
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mindstorm

From what I have seen on here, you are going to make an excellent preacher regardless.
But it never hurts to better yourself and your understanding of the Bible.
I hope you will let us (the OT) know when you start ministering in a church...maybe you can put it up on the internet...that is how I watch my church back home.

rawsavon

Thanks. I still have a long ways to go before I'm prepared to actually lead a congregation mentally, spiritually, emotionally, etc. Hopefully I never think "I am enough as I am" however.

As far as internet services go, I love the idea of doing that one day - essentially creating an internet resource for others to use.

bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
I'm going to be a journalist. I'm currently in school pursuing that and will be graduating in the spring of 2010. Not sure what format my work will be in (TV, radio, print, etc), but I'm leaning towards print.
6_volts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 6_volts
Member since 2008 • 5520 Posts
Airline Pilot.
Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Communist_Soul
Member since 2009 • 3080 Posts

Theoretical physicist or if I win a lot of money make a micro-nation.

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
I'm going to be a professional rich person. 8)
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts

Finish up my B.S. in Aerospace Engineering..... then get an engineering job at like GE or Lockheed... then get paid to go back to school and get my Master's in Engineering Management or something like that.... then eventually get a job at Lockheed's Skunk Works. That's my dream job.

Then maybe I'll get my CFI rating/cert. and teach kids to fly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 avatar_genius
Member since 2009 • 8056 Posts
I'm going to be a professional rich person. 8)fidosim
The world needs those.
Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

Im on a path to the finance industry right now, im not really sure about it, but i'll just go along with it for the time being. :(

blank33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 blank33
Member since 2005 • 1896 Posts

Well, I'm a sophomore in college and I'm going to school for accounting.

I intend to get my CPA license and hopefully move to New York.

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#35 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

Audio Designer for video games or something in media, I haven't decided yet.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I want to become a piano teacher.
Null--Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Null--Fox
Member since 2009 • 1640 Posts

Video Game Designer :)

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
Well, I just started college a couple of weeks ago and my major is Computer Science. I'm really hoping to stick with it because it really interests me, but it'll be hard. I'm hoping that I'll have enough motivation. I have passion/ambition, but I lack motivation. I'm really into the idea of working with software.
Spoiledgenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#39 Spoiledgenius
Member since 2009 • 622 Posts

Automobile Engineering....:)

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#40 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

I want to be a teacher or own ,y own restaurants. The business seems more realistic at the moment.

Avatar image for 8732_YoungJeezy
8732_YoungJeezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41 8732_YoungJeezy
Member since 2008 • 1656 Posts

an officer in the marine corps, just finished my first half of OCS.

Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts

I work in wealth management

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Tank Crewman in the British Army. It's a long process.
Trollsters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Trollsters
Member since 2009 • 637 Posts
[QUOTE="RedWolves_"]

Since there have been a couple threads about school related stuff. Namely cheating :P I decided to make a thread and see what you guys wanted to do with yourselves. I'm sure there will be a few people wanting to go into the video game industry or work with computers. That's what I originally intended to go but I'e since switched to nursing. So I want to....

- Get my BSN.

- Work as an ER nurse.

What about you guys?

im in sales. I have a GED, no college, and i make 60k a year and im only 24. Sales is the only carrier in the world where you can give yourself a raise, and it is the highest paid proffesion in the world. You cant beat that.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rawsavon
[QUOTE="Trollsters"][QUOTE="RedWolves_"]

- Get my BSN.

- Work as an ER nurse.

What about you guys?

im in sales. I have a GED, no college, and i make 60k a year and im only 24. Sales is the only carrier in the world where you can give yourself a raise, and it is the highest paid proffesion in the world. You cant beat that.

Ya, but you have to be in sales...not for everyone...not for me. But if you are good at it and enjoy it, then it can be a very good career. But college may have helped with your spelling: "career" not "carrier" (joking...sort of)
kulmiye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kulmiye
Member since 2004 • 12094 Posts
I've always wanted to be a doctor in medicine thus I want to do medicine in Uni but I get nowhere near top grades so it most like be Mechanical engineering in uni but I would also like to get as many degrees as possible. Learning new things is pretty good. It is just the people and things that I have to deal with that are annoying.
saltsoap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 saltsoap
Member since 2009 • 296 Posts

Get my Bsc. in Pure Mathematics and work my way up to PhD, then postdoc research, lower-rank professor and hope for tenure-track.

Trollsters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Trollsters
Member since 2009 • 637 Posts
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Trollsters"][QUOTE="RedWolves_"]

- Get my BSN.

- Work as an ER nurse.

What about you guys?

Ya, but you have to be in sales...not for everyone...not for me. But if you are good at it and enjoy it, then it can be a very good career. But college may have helped with your spelling: "career" not "carrier" (joking...sort of)

I dont like debt much, im 24 and debt free except my mortgage. Lets say you spend 40k to go to college. and you get a job making 30k a year. (this is a pretty high starting salary for most college grads my wife makes less with a 4 yr degree) how many years will it take for you to receive a return on your investment? I paid $50 for my GED, ive made a return on my investment just posting on these boards today and yesterday.
Big_Bad_Sad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Big_Bad_Sad
Member since 2005 • 18243 Posts
Im doing a computing degree now so something in networking or online security would be nice.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="Trollsters"] im in sales. I have a GED, no college, and i make 60k a year and im only 24. Sales is the only carrier in the world where you can give yourself a raise, and it is the highest paid proffesion in the world. You cant beat that.Trollsters

I dont like debt much, im 24 and debt free except my mortgage. Lets say you spend 40k to go to college. and you get a job making 30k a year. (this is a pretty high starting salary for most college grads my wife makes less with a 4 yr degree) how many years will it take for you to receive a return on your investment? I paid $50 for my GED, ive made a return on my investment just posting on these boards today and yesterday.

Wow...sucks for your wife. Not trying to be argumentative, but I do not know any college grads making less than 36,000 (my GF started out at that teaching) But that is neither here nor there. I agreed that you can make a very good living in sales...but it is not for everyone...many don't want to do it (me) and many would not be very good at it. So you can make good money w/out a degree (sales, own your own business, etc.) But college is about more than just your take home pay, IMO. 1. Experience...greatest time of my life...same with all my friends. 2. Learning...about more than future job. I enjoy learning. Love it in fact. It is unreal how much I changed, matured, grew, and learned in college. My world view changed a ton. Also, you get to learn important things that you never would have been exposed to otherwise. 3. No ceiling with degree...yes you could start your own company, but you will never reach top level without a degree at a major company (CEO is where the $$$ is in business). Also, many jobs require a degree. So I am glad that you are happy with your choice. But that choice is not for everyone: some want other types of jobs; want to make more than 60,000; want the expereince; etc. In the end though, I hope that everyone is as happy with their choices as you are with yours