What's the point of heavy metal? It shouldn't exist.

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 0

#51 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

You have made a powerful e-enemy :evil:Lto_thaG

Well, i never half ass anything, that includes making arch nemesis´. Thats actually a compliment, in its own distorted way. :3

I'm asking AdobeArtist to design a christmas themed one :PLto_thaG

dont forget the avatar! :3

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

Well, i never half ass anything, that includes making arch nemesis´. Thats actually a compliment, in its own distorted way. :3

Dont forget the avatar! :3

BiancaDK

Arch nemesis does sound cool..Hmm.
And,yes,also the avatar :P

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

How dare you insult Judas Priest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hpUx05hyHY

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 BiancaDK
[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

[QUOTE="BiancaDK"]

Not as cool as Lieutenant Thag, 3rd officer of Starfleet Command; USS Chinaski. (ps: tell him to make me a christmas avatar as well D: )
MasterC5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 MasterC5
Member since 2006 • 2932 Posts

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]I used to be really really into metal and most of its subgenres. I'm not anymore, but I don't think that it's bad music. Of course there bad metal bands, but there are bad bands of every genre. I don't think that it's pointless, and I don't think that playing in a metal band lacks talent. Blazerdt47
There is just no talent at all. And did you see that band that played at the end of the VGA awards??? OMG they were terrible!

Of course dude metal totally lacks talent! I have never heard one good song in this genre. It all sounds the same to! Truly is is the most talentless genre around, YOU CAN'T EVEN UNDERSTAND THE LYRICS!

RearNakedChoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 RearNakedChoke
Member since 2009 • 1699 Posts

I can't stand heavy metal. I used to be a fan of metal (not the heavy stuff), but stopped listening in favour of good music. That was probably 6 or 7 years ago though.

But most people on OT are metal fans so you'll find that very few people here will agree with you.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts
[QUOTE="BiancaDK"][QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]

[QUOTE="BiancaDK"]

Not as cool as Lieutenant Thag, 3rd officer of Starfleet Command; USS Chinaski. (ps: tell him to make me a christmas avatar as well D: )

Holy ****.I'm keeping that. And,sure...Anything specific?
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#58 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
The same reason why there exist country music, hip hop, POP, Rap, blah blah blah and any other subgenres out there. People have different tastes in music. I cannot stand the fans though, the majority come off as a bunch of snobby elitist
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#59 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Gethsemane - Nightwish

black_cat19

OK, I'm gonna go ahead and buy that album now. :P

That was one of the most beautiful songs I've heard in a long time.

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 BiancaDK

sure...Anything specific?Lto_thaG

Well, just my good ol´ avatar with something christmas related on top. :3 I make a virtue out of keeping all things me highly unoriginal.

Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

I agree with you completely TC :) No, srsly.

"Goes back to headbang on some Prog. Death Metal and awaits for a metal head to tell me that term sucks/is wrong etc"

The same reason why there exist country music, hip hop, POP, Rap, blah blah blah and any other subgenres out there. People have different tastes in music. I cannot stand the fans though, the majority come off as a bunch of snobby elitist Dante2710
What is this "different taste" you speak of? Anything that's not my taste is by all means wrong.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Heavy metal as several subgenres just like Rock. Claiming that all Heavy Metal is similar is as ignorant as saying that all Middle Easterns are suicide bombers.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#63 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts

I agree with you completely TC :) No, srsly.

"Goes back to headbang on some Prog. Death Metal and awaits for a metal head to tell me that term sucks/is wrong etc"

[QUOTE="Dante2710"]The same reason why there exist country music, hip hop, POP, Rap, blah blah blah and any other subgenres out there. People have different tastes in music. I cannot stand the fans though, the majority come off as a bunch of snobby elitist Dystopian-X

What is this "different taste" you speak of? Anything that's not my taste is by all means wrong.

*flames you* :lol:
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"][QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]I used to be really really into metal and most of its subgenres. I'm not anymore, but I don't think that it's bad music. Of course there bad metal bands, but there are bad bands of every genre. I don't think that it's pointless, and I don't think that playing in a metal band lacks talent. MasterC5

There is just no talent at all. And did you see that band that played at the end of the VGA awards??? OMG they were terrible!

Of course dude metal totally lacks talent! I have never heard one good song in this genre. It all sounds the same to! Truly is is the most talentless genre around, YOU CAN'T EVEN UNDERSTAND THE LYRICS!

HAHA TC got owned by a good usage of sarcasm.

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

You can't even hear the lyrics to the song of the dude singing and all it is is shaking your head up and down like crazy. I'd rather listen to Soulja Boy and I HATE Soulja Boy.

Blazerdt47

Too each his own. I like certain Heavy Metal but I do like understanding the lyrics. If its a heavy metal show however, the intensity of that type of music makes for awesome rocking.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Whats the point of Rap and Hip Hop? Its just stupid people destroying the english language with increasingly bad grammar and lyrics that would not be good even to people who are stoned out of their mind. Whats the point of Pop music? Its just stuck up divas with faces coverd by layers of makeup that even the apocalypse couldnt remove whining about everything and anything, elongating every note till the words loose all meaning.

Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts

You can't even hear the lyrics to the song of the dude singing and all it is is shaking your head up and down like crazy. I'd rather listen to Soulja Boy and I HATE Soulja Boy.

Blazerdt47

You know what, I don't care if you dislike Metal music, but at least don't hate it until you actually understand it first. Heavy Metal usually has CLEAN vocals, the genres of metal that don't usually have clean vocals is stuff like Black Metal or Death Metal.

Have you ever listend to Judas Priest? Iron Maiden? Metallica? Megadeth? Anthrax? Black Sabbath? Those are just a few Heavy Metal (some are thrash metal too) bands that have clean vocals, and there are many, many more.

lyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 lyeti
Member since 2009 • 554 Posts
There is like 20 very, VERY different subgenres and hundreds of hybrids. Personally i prefer Metalcore, power metal and various industrial and alternative metal bands but apparently some metalheads think that metalcore ain't metal cause it is not a pure metal with metal fusion and as such ain't made up of two types of metal but rather one and another type of music. /Rant against metalcore haters -_- You have no idea how hard for example Dragonforces songs are to play and have no idea how complicated death, doom , any metal really songs can be. Even some metalcore bands!! like August Burns Red somehow managed to put a little finesse into metalcore, which is the least complicated metal apart from maybe stuff like grindcore.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
You are correct sir, usually vocals are just another instrument not meant to be heard but to add to the feel of the music.
lyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 lyeti
Member since 2009 • 554 Posts
You are correct sir, usually vocals are just another instrument not meant to be heard but to add to the feel of the music. X360PS3AMD05
Ye, people who don't understand metal misunderstand this major point :(
Nintendevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#71 Nintendevil
Member since 2007 • 6598 Posts

Melody, harmony, rhythm. If it has those three things, it's music. Metal just does them in such an unorthodox way that a lot of people wouldn't like it. What's interesting to me is that every time someone complains about metal is that they can't hear the words, as if that's the only thing that matters about music.

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts
chimaira is the heaviest metal band i listen to, and i can understand the singer perfectly and all of them have talent.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Melody, harmony, rhythm. If it has those three things, it's music. Metal just does them in such an unorthodox way that a lot of people wouldn't like it. What's interesting to me is that every time someone complains about metal is that they can't hear the words, as if that's the only thing that matters about music.

Nintendevil
Which immediately reveals how closed minded they are too. I mean, sure, metal isn't for everyone, but that doesn't make it bad music.
Quadster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#74 Quadster
Member since 2003 • 578 Posts
I Love heavy metal!! i just don't get why people call rock/metal music all screamo and shouty, i actually had a similar conversation with some girls i know and they seem to think you can't understand a single lyric in rock music....hmmm....funny, but i think they need to get their ears tested, oh and they were more into chart music like neyo, lady gaga and....whoever else they're into. IMO there's very little passion in music now that is mostly electronic (mostly sampler and drum machines used) especially if you don't craft the rhythm, melody and sounds yourself(which is why i think a lot of the pop chart music sounds so samey)....prolly why i like chip tunes from retro games, it is electronic but though there is a sense of passion in the songs which makes some chiptunes sound way ahead of their time considering the technology used
JebranRush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 JebranRush
Member since 2009 • 1401 Posts
Although the lyrics can be hard to understand, I've listened to some songs with some incredible lyrics. Metal isn't my thing, but to say it's just shaking your head up and down is strange and untrue.
Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
So true. Metal is nothing but random bears screaming about death and satan, while some mentally retarded cave man smashes some drums and some other idiot hits random notes on his guitar.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

I may not like the singing about Gods etc..but i like some..sub genres of metal...Sayng metal shouldn't exist is like saying Hannah Montana deserves to be famous because her music is full of depth and meaning...the fact that her music sounds generic makes it good...:roll:

Metal has quite a large amount of variety and many times the lyrics are great...and i don't shake my head up and down..:P

effena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#78 effena
Member since 2008 • 2811 Posts

Blazerdt47

brilliant reason why a genre that has influenced millions shouldn't exists :roll:

Avatar image for deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
deactivated-5e376fa88bd45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#79 deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
Member since 2004 • 4403 Posts

Blazerdt47

You might as well question the point of all music while you're at it huh. Why should R&B exist? Why should Indie music exist? Hell, why should children's tunes exist since they all ever seem to possess is some "dude singing". Frak me, while I despise metal myself, questioning its existence just transcends beyond the realm of absurd.

Democratik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Democratik
Member since 2009 • 662 Posts
music =\= lyrics. fail.
dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#81 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

Blazerdt47

Well when your veins are full of chemicals it's awesome. But seriously if people like then keep it.

narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#82 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

Do your ears a favor and listen to oldies and classical or motown. Todays "pop" music is undeniable crap.

ilovemydog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ilovemydog1
Member since 2009 • 131 Posts
omg yes, let lady gaga conquer the world...Skull007o_O
some people like her music..as u wrote this i assume u like metal right? just cause he criticised the genre of music u like doesnt mean u criticising others is ok. y cant every1 just listen to whatever they want and stop saying what a terrible taste other people have? these topics are getting on my nerves already.. i hate both lady gaga and metal but i dont mind there existence...jeez..
Scarebaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Scarebaby
Member since 2008 • 1273 Posts

'Metal' is a vast world with more sub-genres than any other kind of music. Reading your first post I can only assume that you got lost somewhere in the death metal section and got scared and stuck your head up your butt.

trust_nobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#85 trust_nobody
Member since 2003 • 3356 Posts

[QUOTE="Skull007o_O"]omg yes, let lady gaga conquer the world...ilovemydog1
some people like her music..as u wrote this i assume u like metal right? just cause he criticised the genre of music u like doesnt mean u criticising others is ok. y cant every1 just listen to whatever they want and stop saying what a terrible taste other people have? these topics are getting on my nerves already.. i hate both lady gaga and metal but i dont mind there existence...jeez..

It hasn't been scientifically proven yet that Lady GaGa's existence doesn't endanger my health.

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Darth-Caedus

'Metal' is a vast world with more sub-genres than any other kind of music. Reading your first post I can only assume that you got lost somewhere in the death metal section and got scared and stuck your head up your butt.

Scarebaby
I'm assuming that it is more likely that he listened to some crappy Deathcore band. If he had listened to DM, it most likely would have been Cannibal Corpse...then he would be complaining about how all metal was about death and gore. :P
narlymech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#87 narlymech
Member since 2009 • 2132 Posts

Sadly much of the music today is made by VANs: Various Angry Nymhphos.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Iron Maiden... No screaming, lyrics make perfect sense, no scary people etc.

I mean theres something for evreyone in metal if you can just put up with the speed/loudness. You just wondered up death metal alley...
Yeah DM has lots of screaming and growling, most bands use too much noise to cover up bad lyrics/singing etc. But eaven DM has bands with good lyrics etc.

You just gotta look, good metal isnt gonna hit you in the face

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

If everyone on the planet said XX genre of music shouldn't exist, there'd be no music left on Earth.

bsman00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 bsman00
Member since 2008 • 6038 Posts

Blazerdt47
Whats the point of this thread... none
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]I used to be really really into metal and most of its subgenres. I'm not anymore, but I don't think that it's bad music. Of course there bad metal bands, but there are bad bands of every genre. I don't think that it's pointless, and I don't think that playing in a metal band lacks talent. Blazerdt47

No talent at all? Playing instruments requires no talent? I beg to differ. There are some really good metal guitarists, drummers, bassists, etc. out there. You're obviously only seeming to acknowledge crappy nu metal bands. There's a lot more to the genre than that.

bokiloki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 bokiloki
Member since 2008 • 1452 Posts

Gethsemane - Nightwish

Lyrics:

Toll no bell for me, Father
But let this cup of suffering pass from me
Send me no shepherd to heal my world
But the Angel - the dream foretold
Prayed more than thrice for You to see
The wolf of loneliness in me
...not my own will but Yours be done...

You wake up, where's the tomb?
Will Easter come, enter my room?
The lord weeps with me
But my tears fall for you

Another beauty
Loved by a Beast
Another tale of infinitely dreams
Your eyes they were my paradise
Your smile made my sun rise

Forgive me, for I don't know what I gain
Alone in this garden of pain
Enchantment has but one truth:
I weep to have what I fear to lose

"I knew you never before
I see you never more
But the love, the pain, the hope, O beautiful one
Have made you mine, 'till all my years are done"

Without you
The poetry within me is dead

Gosh, you're right. That is so noisy and shallow and stupid. :roll:

black_cat19

lmfao. no offense but that was terrible.

Avatar image for deactivated-59be76f5a5388
deactivated-59be76f5a5388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#93 deactivated-59be76f5a5388
Member since 2006 • 11372 Posts
It's a form of release.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"][QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]I used to be really really into metal and most of its subgenres. I'm not anymore, but I don't think that it's bad music. Of course there bad metal bands, but there are bad bands of every genre. I don't think that it's pointless, and I don't think that playing in a metal band lacks talent. t3hrubikscube

No talent at all? Playing instruments requires no talent? I beg to differ. There are some really good metal guitarists, drummers, bassists, etc. out there. You're obviously only seeming to acknowledge crappy nu metal bands. There's a lot more to the genre than that.

Not all nu metal bands are crappy..:(...and you're right about the instrument thing..if that's "no talent" then it sure sounds better then people like lady gaga who have " a lot" of talent..

trust_nobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 trust_nobody

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"]
There is just no talent at all. And did you see that band that played at the end of the VGA awards??? OMG they were terrible! Xx_Hopeless_xX

Not all nu metal bands are crappy..:(...and you're right about the instrument thing..if that's "no talent" then it sure sounds better then people like lady gaga who have " a lot" of talent..

I wouldn't say any genre of music is "crappy", except for teeny bopper music. However I will say that most music today, no matter what category, but especially metal, is very drab, depressing, and entirely too serious. Of course they are talented musicians though.

ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#96 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts
[QUOTE="PerilousWolf"]

Ah too much ignorance. I can't even be bothered responding to your post. I do feel sorry for you though, for the fact you are not open-minded enough to understand why certain music appeals to different people. You don't have to like it, but as long as you can understand how someone could like it, you wouldn't need to make such ridiculous generalizations like you just did. I am a metalhead, but I hope you enjoy the music you listen to, and I can respect that. Think about what you're saying.

Blazerdt47
I know what I am saying. It's called an opinion. And of course everyone should enjoy whatever music they like but the reason I pick on metal is because it's just not as structured as music as other genre's.

Structured? If anything metal is too structured.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]No talent at all? Playing instruments requires no talent? I beg to differ. There are some really good metal guitarists, drummers, bassists, etc. out there. You're obviously only seeming to acknowledge crappy nu metal bands. There's a lot more to the genre than that.

trust_nobody

I wouldn't say any genre of music is "crappy", except for teeny bopper music. However I will say that most music today, no matter what category, but especially metal, is very drab, depressing, and entirely too serious. Of course they are talented musicians though.

I don't really enjoy happy go lucky music anyway..so it's perfect for me..:P

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Darth-Caedus
wouldn't say any genre of music is "crappy", except for teeny bopper music. trust_nobody
Crunkcore begs to differ.
trust_nobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 trust_nobody

[QUOTE="Blazerdt47"][QUOTE="PerilousWolf"]

Ah too much ignorance. I can't even be bothered responding to your post. I do feel sorry for you though, for the fact you are not open-minded enough to understand why certain music appeals to different people. You don't have to like it, but as long as you can understand how someone could like it, you wouldn't need to make such ridiculous generalizations like you just did. I am a metalhead, but I hope you enjoy the music you listen to, and I can respect that. Think about what you're saying.

ithilgore2006

I know what I am saying. It's called an opinion. And of course everyone should enjoy whatever music they like but the reason I pick on metal is because it's just not as structured as music as other genre's.

Structured? If anything metal is too structured.

Yes I aree with this...too much "I am a broodingly deep dark soul" for me.

Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#100 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts

This is typical Gamespot at it's finest...