What would you do if your son told you he was g@y?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xFuryx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#101 xFuryx
Member since 2007 • 745 Posts

I'de be disappointed at first but I will accept it shortly after99RanchMarket

I'd do the same, but half dissapointed and half freaked out =/.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#102 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Support him and treat him the same as I always did. Likewise if my daughter was a lesbian.
MrEnvelope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 MrEnvelope
Member since 2007 • 2424 Posts
I hope this dosen't turn into a religion thread.... 8 persons have voted they like apples, HELL YEAH!
Avatar image for lilburtonboy748
lilburtonboy748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 lilburtonboy748
Member since 2007 • 2536 Posts

I hope this dosen't turn into a religion thread.... 8 persons have voted they like apples, HELL YEAH!MrEnvelope

it won't. i'm kidding by the way. i would rather kill myself than see another religion thread.

honkyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#105 honkyjoe
Member since 2005 • 5907 Posts
I would not care at all. I would love him just the same.
MrEnvelope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 MrEnvelope
Member since 2007 • 2424 Posts

[QUOTE="MrEnvelope"]I hope this dosen't turn into a religion thread.... 8 persons have voted they like apples, HELL YEAH!lilburtonboy748

it won't. i'm kidding by the way. i would rather kill myself than see another religion thread.

They are getting old and annoying. I hate when threads like this one become infested with religious arguments. Gamespot should make a separate forum dedicated to Religion only or maybe a religion sticky.

Andrn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#107 Andrn
Member since 2008 • 2098 Posts
As long as he wasn't that way in front of me, I don't think it would matter that much.
Avatar image for lilburtonboy748
lilburtonboy748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 lilburtonboy748
Member since 2007 • 2536 Posts
[QUOTE="lilburtonboy748"]

[QUOTE="MrEnvelope"]I hope this dosen't turn into a religion thread.... 8 persons have voted they like apples, HELL YEAH!MrEnvelope

They are getting old and annoying. I hate when threads like this one become infested with religious arguments. Gamespot should make a separate forum dedicated to Religion only or maybe a religion sticky.

good idea...a religion thread so i wouldn't have to skip over half of the topics in OT.

i voted for apples...

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#109 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
[QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]I'd still love him and treat him like a son. Because of this, however, I'd quit my job in the ministry (which I'll have by then) as I have the belief that if you can't teach your children how to live as God would have them then you can't lead a congregation in how to live as God would have them. I'd treat him no different and love him just the same but I'd be depressed in feeling as if I failed as a parent. I'd do everything in my power to, as many would say, love him into the kingdom.mindstorm

You can't "teach" your kids to be straight. It's not an optional thing.

I do not believe that to be true but even if it is the case then I'd simply advise him to not partake in homosexual acts. There are many who deprive themselves of relationships in order to follow Christ. You can't argue with me on that, look at people like Mother Teresa and priests.

But that's irrelevent; there's no link between that and sexual orientation.

What I was simply stating is that because he is attracted to males does not mean he has to be in a relationship with one. It is not irrelevent.

If he had any sense, he wouldn't listen to you, and not follow such a stupid religion.

No need to insult the thing that means more than anything to me... >_>

Hoping to somehow change or hide who he is by "depriving" him of relationships would be worse, and probably insulting to him.
vivelaps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#110 vivelaps3
Member since 2007 • 1060 Posts
I would be surprise first and then it would be okay !
pugsy44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 pugsy44
Member since 2007 • 1682 Posts

I would try to encourage him as much as I could, but it'd be hard...hamstergeddon

Ditto

-Austin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 -Austin-
Member since 2008 • 2417 Posts
I would be very disappointed. I wouldn't kick him out of the house or treat him differently, but I think I would rather have a straight son. Most straight men would probably agree, whether they would admit it or not.
socked_feet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 socked_feet
Member since 2008 • 2290 Posts
Love him anyways. There are two gay people in my family (aunt and cousin) and I could care less.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts
[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]I'd still love him and treat him like a son. Because of this, however, I'd quit my job in the ministry (which I'll have by then) as I have the belief that if you can't teach your children how to live as God would have them then you can't lead a congregation in how to live as God would have them. I'd treat him no different and love him just the same but I'd be depressed in feeling as if I failed as a parent. I'd do everything in my power to, as many would say, love him into the kingdom.mindstorm

I do not believe that to be true but even if it is the case then I'd simply advise him to not partake in homosexual acts. There are many who deprive themselves of relationships in order to follow Christ. You can't argue with me on that, look at people like Mother Teresa and priests.

Believe what you want. But I know, for a fact, that I didn't wake up one day and decide to like guys and girls.

yabbicoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 yabbicoke
Member since 2007 • 4069 Posts
Since I don't have a son it's very hard to imagine. But I doubt I'd care.
Crucifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Crucifier
Member since 2002 • 7195 Posts

i would feel ashamed, but how can you not love your son

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#117 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Id probably get protective of who he goes out with.

*comes home

"hi dad, this is ray",

"oh, hello..... RAY...:x.. so ray, what do you do for a living?'',

" Well im inbetween jobs right now, ive been trying to get this job down at this club"

" so thats what you plan to do with the rest of your life? thats your career choice work at clubs? its that how you plan to support my son in the future? what if you adopt children? what kinda club are we talking about working at here? the kind were you run around in your G-string as other guys stuff dollar bills down them!!"

"DAD THATS ENOUGH"

"what?? im just asking the boy son, this has nothing to do with you",

" Dad i hate you!! come on ray were leaving!!"

"Son, wait... come on!! dont walk out on me! BA!!!"

atleast, thats how i see a normal night with me and my gay son would be like

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]I'd still love him and treat him like a son. Because of this, however, I'd quit my job in the ministry (which I'll have by then) as I have the belief that if you can't teach your children how to live as God would have them then you can't lead a congregation in how to live as God would have them. I'd treat him no different and love him just the same but I'd be depressed in feeling as if I failed as a parent. I'd do everything in my power to, as many would say, love him into the kingdom.Dark_Knight6

Believe what you want. But I know, for a fact, that I didn't wake up one day and decide to like guys and girls.

And I wouldn't think so. I'm not saying it's as simple as that. I do admit that when someone is a homosexual they cannot simply turn it off just like an alcoholic or drug abuser (not trying put you down in comparing you to such btw). Like an alcoholic an drug abuser, it is possible to turn away from that way of life but it is a difficult thing to do typically. There is also the possibility of relapse and the like as well.
Gigagamer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#119 Gigagamer2
Member since 2004 • 2149 Posts
i would still love him, but whether the news would be a shock or not would be a different story, because i honestly dont know. I mean, i have several homosexual friends, one very camp, and the other appears to be a normal 'nerd' (im a nerd too). But i would react differently if it was my son, and my reaction would change depending on how much i had noticed over the months/years. I know for a fact thogh i would be uncomfortable with them both in a bedroom in my house, and i cant deny that.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"][QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

And I wouldn't think so. I'm not saying it's as simple as that. I do admit that when someone is a homosexual they cannot simply turn it off just like an alcoholic or drug abuser (not trying put you down in comparing you to such btw). Like an alcoholic an drug abuser, it is possible to turn away from that way of life but it is a difficult thing to do typically. There is also the possibility of relapse and the like as well.

Much like with Christianity *shrug*
TM_Darkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 TM_Darkside
Member since 2007 • 3993 Posts

Any person that hates anyone else because of their sexuality should be forbidden from procreating.

Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Thechaninator
Member since 2005 • 5187 Posts

I'd accept him of course, but I'd have a talk with him about it of course, making sure he really is gay and not just confused, explaining to him that people are going to descriminate against him and to not tell people he's gay unless he's known them a while.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 mindstorm
[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"][QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]I'd still love him and treat him like a son. Because of this, however, I'd quit my job in the ministry (which I'll have by then) as I have the belief that if you can't teach your children how to live as God would have them then you can't lead a congregation in how to live as God would have them. I'd treat him no different and love him just the same but I'd be depressed in feeling as if I failed as a parent. I'd do everything in my power to, as many would say, love him into the kingdom.xaos

lol, the first step towards the road to recovery from that is admitting that I have a problem. I do not admit such so it seems it'll be quite a while until I recover from Christianity. I must warn you that it is contageous. A strong remedy for this Christianity is being closed-minded and wanting to live for yourself rather than God.

That is quite possibly the most corny thing I've written on here...

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Dark_Knight6
[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"][QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

Turn away from being myself? Interesting. No matter what, this won't go away.

TM_Darkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 TM_Darkside
Member since 2007 • 3993 Posts
[QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"][QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

lol, the first step towards the road to recovery from that is admitting that I have a problem. I do not admit such so it seems it'll be quite a while until I recover from Christianity. I must warn you that it is contageous. A strong remedy for this Christianity is being closed-minded and wanting to live for yourself rather than God.

Yeah, Christians are the open-minded collection. That's why you insist that homosexuality is a choice. :roll:

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
I would go jump off a highway overpass.
bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#127 bman784
Member since 2004 • 6755 Posts

mindstorm
Non-Christians are closed minded? That's a new one.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 mindstorm
[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"][QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]I'd still love him and treat him like a son. Because of this, however, I'd quit my job in the ministry (which I'll have by then) as I have the belief that if you can't teach your children how to live as God would have them then you can't lead a congregation in how to live as God would have them. I'd treat him no different and love him just the same but I'd be depressed in feeling as if I failed as a parent. I'd do everything in my power to, as many would say, love him into the kingdom.TM_Darkside

Yeah, Christians are the open-minded collection. That's why you insist that homosexuality is a choice. :roll:

Whether you believe it or not, I am actually a rather open-minded person though I admit there are many Christians who are not. The same goes for most belief systems including atheism.

I never said you wanted to become a homosexual, you likely did without any voluntary action. I never sought to have my own sins either. What I am saying is that there is a choice to turn away from that way of life. I know it's not "hey you know what? I want to start being straight tomorrow!" It's something that takes patience and can possibly take years to overcome if not a lifetime. No one ever becomes perfect in this lifetime but that doesn't mean one shouldn't seek to become perfect.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 mindstorm
[QUOTE="mindstorm"]lol, the first step towards the road to recovery from that is admitting that I have a problem. I do not admit such so it seems it'll be quite a while until I recover from Christianity. I must warn you that it is contageous. A strong remedy for this Christianity is being closed-minded and wanting to live for yourself rather than God.

bman784

I never said there were not any narrow-minded Christians. What I merely meant was to open your mind to the slightest possibility that Christianity can indeed be true.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Dark_Knight6

Whether you believe it or not, I am actually a rather open-minded person though I admit there are many Christians who are not. The same goes for most belief systems including atheism.

I never said you wanted to become a homosexual, you likely did without any voluntary action. I never sought to have my own sins either. What I am saying is that there is a choice to turn away from that way of life. I know it's not "hey you know what? I want to start being straight tomorrow!" It's something that takes patience and can possibly take years to overcome if not a lifetime. No one ever becomes perfect in this lifetime but that doesn't mean one shouldn't seek to become perfect.

mindstorm

How can you fix something that's not broken?

bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#131 bman784
Member since 2004 • 6755 Posts
[QUOTE="bman784"][QUOTE="mindstorm"]lol, the first step towards the road to recovery from that is admitting that I have a problem. I do not admit such so it seems it'll be quite a while until I recover from Christianity. I must warn you that it is contageous. A strong remedy for this Christianity is being closed-minded and wanting to live for yourself rather than God.

mindstorm

I never said there were not any narrow-minded Christians. What I merely meant was to open your mind to the slightest possibility that Christianity can indeed be true.

It works both ways;)
iWorkForDiddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 iWorkForDiddy
Member since 2008 • 181 Posts
I wouldnt let him leave the house until he was fixed
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Dark_Knight6

I wouldnt let him leave the house until he was fixediWorkForDiddy

:lol: Can you call a specialist for something like that?

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts

I'd accept him of course, but I'd have a talk with him about it of course, making sure he really is gay and not just confused, explaining to him that people are going to descriminate against him and to not tell people he's gay unless he's known them a while.

Thechaninator
Wow, are you planning on your son being a retard "Son, if you go telling people you're gay they're going to make fun of you". I'm sure by the time he has a preference, he'll realize that with the insult "you're gay being flung around for every aspect of life.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 mindstorm
[QUOTE="mindstorm"]

Dark_Knight6

How can you fix something that's not broken?

As I said in reference to myself, the first step is admitting there is a problem...

[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="bman784"][QUOTE="mindstorm"]lol, the first step towards the road to recovery from that is admitting that I have a problem. I do not admit such so it seems it'll be quite a while until I recover from Christianity. I must warn you that it is contageous. A strong remedy for this Christianity is being closed-minded and wanting to live for yourself rather than God.

bman784

It works both ways;)

Indeed it does. I am actually open to what people say on here and I haven't seen enough evidence to sway my beliefs away from the beliefs I currently hold.
VacantPsalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 VacantPsalm
Member since 2008 • 3600 Posts
Advise him to shoot for Bi. Then he can get a wife and I can still have more grand kids.:) As for him still liking men along with women, who cares? Fetishes are a dime a dozen, everybody's got a few to hid.
iWorkForDiddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 iWorkForDiddy
Member since 2008 • 181 Posts

[QUOTE="iWorkForDiddy"]I wouldnt let him leave the house until he was fixedDark_Knight6

Yeah a psychiatrist, but I refuse to give away any of my hard earned money to one just because my kid is acting up, plus I don care about his feeling and shrinks just want to talk about feelings. Ill just teach him my way...its free and more effective.

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Dark_Knight6
[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="iWorkForDiddy"]I wouldnt let him leave the house until he was fixediWorkForDiddy

Yeah a psychiatrist, but I refuse to give away any of my hard earned money to one just because my kid is acting up, plus I don care about his feeling and shrinks just want to talk about feelings. Ill just teach him my way...its free and more effective.

Any sane psychiatrist wouldn't see a problem because there isn't one in the first place.

Avatar image for alwayspureblood
alwayspureblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 alwayspureblood
Member since 2008 • 872 Posts
[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="iWorkForDiddy"]I wouldnt let him leave the house until he was fixediWorkForDiddy

Last time I checked, homosexuality hasn't been viewed as a mental disorder since the 80s, so sending your child to a psychiatrist would be a waste of your son's time and your money.

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Dark_Knight6
[QUOTE="iWorkForDiddy"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="iWorkForDiddy"]I wouldnt let him leave the house until he was fixedalwayspureblood

Last time I checked, homosexuality hasn't been viewed as a mental disorder since the 80s, so sending your child to a psychiatrist would be a waste of your son's time and your money.

Well, he did say he'd "teach him his way." And, if I'm picking up on the euphemism correctly, that means he'd beat his son.

Wolf-Man2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#143 Wolf-Man2006
Member since 2006 • 4187 Posts

I would love him anyway, but I would do this:

1. Lock him up in a dark room with non-g@y things (it would almost look gothic)

2. I would turn up the music, which includes the always giddy Slayer, extremely wet-in-pants-worthy Metallica, and the so-sweet-you-can-eat Korn.

3. If that doesn't turn him straight, you might as well read from the bible and hear what God thinks about his ways.

If those steps don't work, then you should love him anyway.

Avatar image for alwayspureblood
alwayspureblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 alwayspureblood
Member since 2008 • 872 Posts
[QUOTE="alwayspureblood"][QUOTE="iWorkForDiddy"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="iWorkForDiddy"]I wouldnt let him leave the house until he was fixedDark_Knight6

Well, he did say he'd "teach him his way." And, if I'm picking up on the euphemism correctly, that means he'd beat his son.

Thats what I was thinking as well.

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Dark_Knight6

Advise him to shoot for Bi. Then he can get a wife and I can still have more grand kids.:) As for him still liking men along with women, who cares? Fetishes are a dime a dozen, everybody's got a few to hid.VacantPsalm

Wait, being Bi is a fetish?

Tauruslink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Tauruslink
Member since 2005 • 6586 Posts
I would love him anyway and treat him the same. I dont understand why people are so homophobic in this world. *sigh*
Dub_c6969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Dub_c6969
Member since 2004 • 6014 Posts
i honstly would not care. As long as his grades are good and he gets accepted in to a great college, he can love who ever he wantsindian_playa
same
VacantPsalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 VacantPsalm
Member since 2008 • 3600 Posts

[QUOTE="VacantPsalm"]Advise him to shoot for Bi. Then he can get a wife and I can still have more grand kids.:) As for him still liking men along with women, who cares? Fetishes are a dime a dozen, everybody's got a few to hid.Dark_Knight6

No. I was saying if he could be bi he could still have a wife and give me grand children. And the fact he still liked men (that's what bi people do, hence why we don't call them strait) wouldn't really matter cuz everyone likes something they can't get. (these things are sometimes called fetishes. I actually typed abnormal fetishes a first but thought it might cause a bit of controversy. Yea, I sure dodged that bullet.:?) It also wasn't the most super serious post I've ever typed so don't take it too hard.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Dark_Knight6
[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="VacantPsalm"]Advise him to shoot for Bi. Then he can get a wife and I can still have more grand kids.:) As for him still liking men along with women, who cares? Fetishes are a dime a dozen, everybody's got a few to hid.VacantPsalm

No. I was saying if he could be bi he could still have a wife and give me grand children. And the fact he still liked men (that's what bi people do, hence why we don't call them strait) wouldn't really matter cuz everyone likes something they can't get. (these things are sometimes called fetishes. I actually typed abnormal fetishes a first but thought it might cause a bit of controversy. Yea, I sure dodged that bullet.:?) It also wasn't the most super serious post I've ever typed so don't take it too hard.

I wasn't like attacking you, I thought it was funny. I was actually going to add "Woot! I'm kinky!" at the end but didn't.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts
[QUOTE="TM_Darkside"][QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="xaos"][QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"][QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

I think people are jumping on you simply because you're Christian and whatnot.

I'm not going to dispute any scripture or anything(enough religious threads as is), I'm going to KIND OF agree with what you said, in a way.

IF your son was a Christian, or had leanings, then he could abstain from sexual activity. Sex is not a required event, much like how drinking and drugs aren't required in average people's lives. Of course, alcoholism can be both overcome and prevented, where Homosexuality can just be...well, locked up. Kid could marry a woman, but he wouldn't be attracted to her physically or sexually; it would be getting married to get married with someone he likely cares for as a close friend. Could have sex but it would be a chore and could likely require some viagra. It's possible to remain in the closet for a lifetime, as people have done before throughout history, but it's asking someone to hold a terribly heavy burden.

There's always a way around sexual preferences, but it's never anything anyone should ask of a person.

If MY son was gay(well my son in the future, if I can adopt or artificially inseminate), I'd be perfectly ok with it. By then, I'd imagine being gay would be commonplace and wouldn't have any of the obstacles it does now.