What would you do if you won the lottery?

• 72 results
Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Me, I would give it all away to whatever charities need it most.

Not because I'm trying to look generous or gain admiration but because I genuinely don't care about buying lots of stuff like big houses and lots of cars.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I definitely wouldn't waste it on charities.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Pay the bills. Pay all my relatives' bills. Improve the life of my less fortunate kin. Knowing them, they'll block any stranger claiming he/she is a relative of mine. They'll block any stranger trying to get near me.

I am materialistic. Damn right I'm going to splurge. ;)

If there's anything left, I might give some to local state charities.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

After visiting a financial advisor and investing a lot of it for the future and interest income, and clearing out debt and helping out friends and family... I go through the process of deciding what to buy.

First thing on the list:

2018 Peterbilt 389 glider kit styled like a 1980's Peterbilt 359. 2000-2004 Caterpillar C-15 6NZ, tuned to 625 hp and 2050 lb ft. 265" wheelbase. 72" Unibilt Ultracab. 3.55 rear end ratio, 40K axles. 11R22.5 tires. Spicer 6x4 twin-stick transmission (good for about 75-80 mph, and I'll be the only person who'll know how to drive it). Since money isn't a problem anymore, I can do what I want to for a living... drive truck and nothing else. On my own schedule.

Second on the list:
Alfa Romeo Guilia. Since this thing was first revealed, I've wanted it. The peak of Italian aesthetic design and engineering. I'm sure I'll buy, sell and drive a whole lot of cars after winning the lottery, but this will be the one that sticks around.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

It depends on how much we're saying we've won off of the lottery.

I think the very first thing I would do is pay off all of my debt.

DarkTower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DarkTower
Member since 2017 • 201 Posts

Charities ? Lmaooo that's what people like bill gates and Jeff bezos are for. Not you.

I would buy my parents a house, car, etc and immediately pay off mortgage and such

I would get a smart investor friend to help me with the rest, maybe try swisss bank accounts or stock trading

I would be real "low key" and not bring attention to myself. Wouldn't buy a Lamborghini or start wearing Gucci pants or anything like that. I'd travel the world, smoke a lot of dank buds, and play hella videogames. Probably invest a lot of money in music production equipment.

I think even if I had millions, I'd still work a part time job or something just to make it look like I'm living a Normal life so people don't get jealous or suspicious of me

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

Leave this blood stained country

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@darktower said:

Charities ? Lmaooo that's what people like bill gates and Jeff bezos are for. Not you.

I would buy my parents a house, car, etc and immediately pay off mortgage and such

I would get a smart investor friend to help me with the rest, maybe try swisss bank accounts or stock trading

I would be real "low key" and not bring attention to myself. Wouldn't buy a Lamborghini or start wearing Gucci pants or anything like that. I'd travel the world, smoke a lot of dank buds, and play hella videogames. Probably invest a lot of money in music production equipment.

I think even if I had millions, I'd still work a part time job or something just to make it look like I'm living a Normal life so people don't get jealous or suspicious of me

Hell, never mind people gtting suspicious or jealous of me, I'd have some kind of part time job just to maintain SOME kind of structure in my life. And when I say "job" I'm not even talking about a part time shift at a fast food restaurant, or something like that. I mean starting up a small business or getting active in some kind of community organizations as a volunteer. Just SOMETHING that requires me to devote enough of my time that I can't just sit around doing nothing.

I might even devote my time to a hobby (like videogames, photography, etc), but I'd have to take it seriously enough that it's still a JOB.

However, this would be AFTER the first 6 months. Once I get my money, I'm treating myself with a 6 month vacation. Then I need to settle back down and get back to business.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

I would invest and save most of it.

Also, I would keep working.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Depends on how much. Let's say it's really alot.

I'd have personal chef. Like one with 3 michelin stars and knowledgable in cuiseines from all over the world.

I'd have an observatory in my house. Also will have a church in my house with church organ and harpsichord.

I'd have appartments in various nice countries in the world.

Have a harem.

But most importantly, I'd do elon musky stuff. I'd donate alot to various science projects. Like interesting nasa stuff with budget problems. So they hurry up a little. Like james webb telescope.

Then I'd start companies with the intention of speeding up technological progress and bring us into the future. Like Spacex.

What interests me the least about being rich is having nice cars. Whatever.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

How much are we talking?

Anyway I would pay off my current debt, sell my apartment and move somewhere else. There is one area I would love to move to, so I would be saving it until an apartment in that area is coming for sale. Put some aside for an electric car. Perhaps Tesla 3, or Tesla S P100D. Most of whatever is left I would invest with my retirement (when that time comes) in mind. Of course help family out a bit too.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#12 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Move back to New Zealand. Put the rest of the money in a bank. Change nothing else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#13 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I'd like to do the same a friend of mine does. His parents left him so much that just by having all that money in the bank he can live comfortably just with the interest. He also changes jobs whenever he gets bored (he doesn't need them anyway) but he likes to stay active, which I agree.

As to where I'd spend the money I'd buy me and the wife a car each (we have to share one for the next few months), buy a nice house (no complaints now but we want another kid so an extra room would be nice and hey, I've always wanted a swimming pool) and that's pretty much it...I'd probably invest in some projects I found interesting and that needed funding.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Hate people that give all the money to charities including wills when they die leaving family out. When I do lottery or should I say Thunder ball in UK I am giving to charity any way as some of the money does go to charity when you buy a ticket.

Buy my own house is the very first thing on my list.

But I like that interview what was live on one of biggest US lottery draws ever. The news presenter asked if you win the big one tonight what would you buy with it. He said in a deep American accent. "A bunch of hookers and cocaine"

Found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_28MWafggX0

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

1. find out how I can keep it secret. iirc you have to identify yourself to the gaming commission (or whatever its called...state lottery I guess?). But after that I'd hire a lawyer to keep my stuff safe. I can think of maybe three, four people i would tell and even then I'm not sure about the third and fourth person.

2. get a financial adviser and invest, invest, invest for the future. I'd set up a few accounts for my niece and nephew for college, then a few funds for them for when they turn 30, then maybe one for when they turn 45. Then one for my sister and brother-in-law so they could retire by the time they are 45 (she is 36). After that I'd invest it for myself with the plan to make it lost for at least three generations; myself, any kids I might have, and my grandkids. After that, well, hopefully they've learned how to invest it.

3. My parents are retired and have done well--they're not rich, but they have invested, saved, and spent wisely--so they don't really need any money. I would probably just buy them something nice. Maybe a new car, or help them move somewhere.

4. quit my job, get a full-time trainer, dietitian, and personal cook and lose 200 pounds. Donate my free time to non-profits/charities so there is no huge hole in my resume (I still plan on working). I would take at least a year off, I imagine it would take me 1-3 years to lose the weight I wanted to feel comfortable, probably 2 years to lose 200 lb if I had that kind of help.

5. I'd probably buy a modest starter home (a mild fixer upper, so I can work on it, I want to become more handy) at this point and convert a room/basement/garage into a home gym (to help with step 4).

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

If I won the lottery, I take all the money and move in to Cuba cause screw the U.S. Living in Cuba while being rich sounds like a cool paradise to live there.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I'd immediately give half to my parents.

I'd then look into real estate, preferably buying a lot of acreage in Colorado or Montana for my main residence. I've always desired to raise and ride horses....beautiful animals. I'd buy property on the beach on the East Coast and an apartment in New York and also a residence in Europe somewhere, probably in Sweden or France. I'd hire top rated chefs to cook for me and a personal trainer. I'd purchase my own plane and hire someone to help me attain a pilot's license, and also pursue skydiving and squirrel suit flying. I've always wanted to design my own game so would look into forming a small studio to pursue some of my ideas. I'd finally be able to get my dream car, a Porsche 993 Turbo:

Probably travel a lot as well. Oh yea, finally I'd most likely get a hair transplant as well. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5b797108c254e

Off-topic but nice to see that so many of you have good enough parents that you'd want to help them if you had the money :D

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

@Celsius765: Where is that?

cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

Buy a Championship level English football team that I think has the potential to get promoted to the Premier League so I could get some of that TV money.

Gamble the rest on penny stocks because it's exciting.

This is after doing the obvious which is paying off debts.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SOedipus

@THUMPTABLE said:

@Celsius765: Where is that?

Canada, most likely.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Put in the bank and keep on working, I love to do what I do.

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By borninblood60
Member since 2017 • 262 Posts

Pay off debts then just take what I need to live in comfort. Leave the rest in the bank.

strategyfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#24  Edited By strategyfn
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

Buy a $5000 PC and some more games. Get a very good 4K TV and put the rest in the bank.

Buy a car or two when my current one breaks down.

Spend some money on my relatives.

Maybe give some to charities for example become an SPCA member or something like that.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

@THUMPTABLE: I'm from the US

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 THUMPTABLE

@Celsius765: I thought most yanks liked their country?

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 THUMPTABLE

@SOedipus: Canada is hardly blood stained...

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SOedipus

@THUMPTABLE: I could have gotten it easily with a name like Fahrenheit765, but alas...

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

nothing

i'd just live the same way i do now.My expenses are minimal so i'd just put them in the bank and live the rest of my life without worrying about finding a job or anything like that.

I'd buy the same amount of stuff i buy now.No point in wasting it away on expensive hardware

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

If I win big enough ..go work at chicken rice shop...they can pay me in chicken rice not money...Yay! :P

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#32 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

I would be happy to give my millions away if someone can cure my mom's lung cancer.Going to be hard when the end comes.:(

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

assuming it is a ridiculous amount ( $100M+ ) paying off debts of myself and close family members would be a trivial expenditure. i would need to spend a great deal of time planning what the hell to actually do with that kind of money, how investments need to be structured / managed, how to deal w/ the deluge of open hands, etc...

i think something i would want to do with my money/time would help people anonymously. i'm not looking for any attention / credit.

would also love to pick up one of those mb/airstream combo RVs and just tour the country for a while. just disappear for a few months at least. they're nice and small and would be easier to drive around crazy winding roads than those RVs that are like driving mansions.

oh, and maybe see if i can buy a seat to the ISS. that would be pretty awesome

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

I would say whatever I feel like at work and see how long it takes for them to fire me.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

I'd quit my job immediately. And travel around the world. Always wanted to do that, but no money and time. Most of the money I would invest though.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Pay for the debt of my immediate family, upgrade my PC, buy an 80-100k vehicle, buy McMansion or a regular home since I don't like homes to be unnecessarily huge.

Then invest that money and make it grow.

Oh, and definitely go traveling.

Also can't forget hookers and drugs.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#37 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

If we're talking millions, then I'd definitely refer to a financial advisor because I have no idea what I'd do with that kind of money. I'd buy a modest home to start with. I wouldn't have much of a will to work provided I had enough to live off of for the rest of my life. Again, depending on how much I have I would probably donate a good chunk of it. Probably start with family members first. There's nothing really fancy I would like to own. Sure, a new TV and a nice car that isn't something too over the top. Lastly, since I read a comment above mine, I'd travel a lot. So, yeah, that's about it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

Fix economic hassles for everyone I know, get a house and some stuff that I want (not much) and give away everything else to something good like people needing food and whatnot. I would also like to travel and see the world way more than I have. I would in no freaking way buy a mansion and 5 sports cars like every other rich idiot on the planet would.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Depending on how much. If it's in hundreds of millions, then I would immediately go order a new porsche gt2 rs (for what it is it's fairly low key). Only after, I would hire a money manager to secure and invest the rest.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

pipe and slippers. retire. buy a nice small home in a nice area on the border of a town. new PC and laptop of course and a new TV. clear the family of debt (within reason). other than that im not too fussed. travel a bit from time to time but i wouldnt go mad either. i lead a pretty simple and quiet life and i dont think a lottery win would change that really.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Gaming-Planet said:

Pay for the debt of my immediate family, upgrade my PC, buy an 80-100k vehicle, buy McMansion or a regular home since I don't like homes to be unnecessarily huge.

Then invest that money and make it grow.

Oh, and definitely go traveling.

Also can't forget hookers and drugs.

And blackjack. Don't forget blackjack...

VRex7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 VRex7
Member since 2017 • 49 Posts

pay off debt, take care of my immediate family and closest friends, buy a house... take some time off work and travel but I kind of feel like even if I won I'd still want to do some sort of work or else I'd get bored.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#43 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

Get my teeth fixed, they're a mess.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#44 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2949 Posts

Quit work. Move somewhere warm. Start a family. Buy a house near some tennis courts. That's about it.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Depends on which lotto I hit. If its anything over 20 million:

First and foremost, I want to remain as anonymous as possible so I'll most likely invest my money on people who can make that happen

I'd give my mom and dad at least 15-20% of my winnings each (they can split it among their immediate family members if they want. I have no desire to do so myself)

Pay off any debts I have, deposit $5 million in a bank for collecting interest and as a fail-safe should anything happen to the bulk of my money

Perhaps consult a financial advisor to receive some sound advice for learning about great areas which I can invest my money toward (I know a little about stocks, trades, and real-estate but not enough that I'd confidently throw my money into a tank full of sharks)

Purchase a decent size house in a nice, quiet, and low crime area.

Buy a fully loaded Jeep Rubicon and Tesla Model S P100D (....though I'm starting to lose interest in Tesla. One of my key interest in wanting to own a Tesla vehicle was because of the free superchargers, which they now took away). I'll keep my 93 Grand Prix though and have it rebuilt from ground up then modified for more power. That'll be my low profile car...

I won't immediately quit my job. Probably work a few more months, testing the water seeing how much I can get away with before they fire me.

When its all said a done, I'll go cross-country driving, checking out as many landmarks as I can. Then once I get bored with that, I'll most likely sell my house (Or rent it out), put my vehicles in storage lockers, buy a small yacht, then live out on the sea....

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts

Depending on the size of the winnings after taxes...

1. Call my investment team to start putting a plan together to protect and grow my new wealth. Would take care of of immediate family members as much as I reasonably could. Not buying anyone luxury anything. Pay off their debt...mortgages, cars!! Make lives easier!

2. Figure out what my church needs fixed or finished the most and help pay for it.

3. Pay off any debt I have

4. Give some to worthy charities

5. Finish any and all projects around the house

6. probably take some sort of vacation

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts

i'll give the lottery winnings to my brother-in-law, so he can stop begging my wife for money

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

I'd use it to fund the front of my charity organisation that is in fact a money making scheme designed to rob people like TC.

Alexander4552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Alexander4552
Member since 2012 • 147 Posts

i would give some to my parents so they would not be in debt to the bank anymore

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

Me and my wife would buy a plot of land in the mountains of Austria and build a house there to live the good life free of traffic, pollution, corrupt govt.

Waking up overlooking the alps everyday is the dream, I love socal but I've reached the point where I want more now.