What Should I Do? (Future Career)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 brandontwb
Member since 2008 • 4325 Posts

I'm very fascinatedby neuroscience, biology, and cognitive science. This is something I want to get into when I'm older. The problem is I'm going to a university for Computer Science (although cognitive science is a stream there). I did bad Chemistry and never took biology because I wasn't interested in it until lately. What are my options?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Go to a different university? :P

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#3 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
When in doubt drink.
brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 brandontwb

Go to a different university? :P

GabuEx
These programs focus on chemistry and biology. I don't think it would be good to stop university as it would be a waste a money.
kasiabartek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kasiabartek
Member since 2007 • 261 Posts

Nowadays, many well-educated people work in completely different occupations. If in your town are employment offices, contact with a proffesional advisor. I hope he/she will give you some advice, any ideas to move your life forward. He or she should know the current demands in the labor market. He or she should show you what`s good for you. A proffesional advisor speaks not only with unemployed, but also with pupils and students who need proffesional help. So at least it is in Poland.

redstorm119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 redstorm119
Member since 2010 • 207 Posts

All I have to say is don't do something or stay somewhere just because "that is what's expected". If you are really interested and serious go for it try and get an internship or something or just go talk to some professors.

Don't follow your dreams, lead them.

tratyu92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 tratyu92
Member since 2006 • 1773 Posts
 Yep.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
I take it you don't go to uni in the US? If you are then just change your major or do a dual major. If you're not in the US do 'remedial' evening class in bio or chem.
brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 brandontwb

I take it you don't go to uni in the US? If you are then just change your major or do a dual major. If you're not in the US do 'remedial' evening class in bio or chem.markop2003
I think it's too late for that. I've already given money to the school and it would be a waste now. I'm not sure of what to do post univeristy, I guess I can just give up on that. I wish Canada didn't give up Grade 13, I really needed that extra year to finalize my interests.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="markop2003"]I take it you don't go to uni in the US? If you are then just change your major or do a dual major. If you're not in the US do 'remedial' evening class in bio or chem.brandontwb

I think it's too late for that. I've already given money to the school and it would be a waste now. I'm not sure of what to do post univeristy, I guess I can just give up on that. I wish Canada didn't give up Grade 13, I really needed that extra year to finalize my interests.

You asked what your options are. We've given them to you, and you've shot all of them down, thereby by default choosing to maintain your current path in life. I'm not sure what you want us to tell you at this point.

brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 brandontwb

[QUOTE="brandontwb"]

[QUOTE="markop2003"]I take it you don't go to uni in the US? If you are then just change your major or do a dual major. If you're not in the US do 'remedial' evening class in bio or chem.GabuEx

You asked what your options are. We've given them to you, and you've shot all of them down, thereby by default choosing to maintain your current path in life. I'm not sure what you want us to tell you at this point.

I thought some people might share their experience in going to post-secondary education into something they didn't necessarily want to do and what they did about it.
T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

Yep.tratyu92

:lol: I found that picture incredibly funny.

brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 brandontwb

:lol: I found that picture incredibly funny.

T_REX305

As someone who's afraid of heights that looks really scary, but it's still hilarious.

lol

lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts
Unless you want to have an M.D. or Ph. D., you should keep Computer Science or Biology. Something simple for a bachelor.
chAzN93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 chAzN93
Member since 2004 • 34854 Posts
how old are you? you can always change schools...
bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
You can switch programs. Really better to start off again without wasting time on a degree you don't like. Plus take summer course to catch up.
ImBananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 ImBananas
Member since 2009 • 1793 Posts
When in doubt drink.Wilfred_Owen
No, when in doubt blame the Germans. (it's an anime reference)
halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="brandontwb"]I think it's too late for that. I've already given money to the school and it would be a waste now. I'm not sure of what to do post univeristy, I guess I can just give up on that. I wish Canada didn't give up Grade 13, I really needed that extra year to finalize my interests.

brandontwb

I thought some people might share their experience in going to post-secondary education into something they didn't necessarily want to do and what they did about it.

I used to be in something i didnt like for my 1st two years, however this is what i did. I found a program (at the same uni) that seemed like somethin i would like, and just took it, taking some summer school to get a credit i need and used the credits from before to help fill my requirements. Better u switch now and lose a year at most than to regret what ur doing. Do alot of research and make sure u pick the right program, u always have time

brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 brandontwb

[QUOTE="brandontwb"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

halokillerz

I used to be in something i didnt like for my 1st two years, however this is what i did. I found a program (at the same uni) that seemed like somethin i would like, and just took it, taking some summer school to get a credit i need and used the credits from before to help fill my requirements. Better u switch now and lose a year at most than to regret what ur doing. Do alot of research and make sure u pick the right program, u always have time

Okay when you say I should switch now, you mean take Gr.12 courses again? Or find a way using summer school to change my uni program?
halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 halokillerz

well i guess it depends on what u need. Ask a counselor at ur school on what u need to switch programs. Whether u need to take gr.12 courses or summer school (or both), i say do it but only if ur sure about the program u want to go into

tmaclabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 tmaclabi
Member since 2006 • 17109 Posts
Pray for God's direction and decide ;)
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Doing something you are passionate about... not something that is "a good career."
brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 brandontwb

well i guess it depends on what u need. Ask a counselor at ur school on what u need to switch programs. Whether u need to take gr.12 courses or summer school (or both), i say do it but only if ur sure about the program u want to go into

halokillerz
Thanks. I guess I knew what I was asking for when I came in here but I'm not ready for all that extra work. I'm siding on just sticking with computer science but I will definitely be looking more into this.
brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 brandontwb
Doing something you are passionate about... not something that is "a good career."foxhound_fox
This is what gets me. That means so much extra work and dedication for me, computer science isn't so bad I guess? I'm actually really interested in game design too, but I discovered that the program at this university isn't even good for that. Well, maybe I can go to a game design college after university.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Doing something you are passionate about... not something that is "a good career."foxhound_fox

This is the best advice you could get.

The best job is the one you actually enjoy and can make a living off of.

halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 halokillerz
[QUOTE="halokillerz"]

brandontwb
Thanks. I guess I knew what I was asking for when I came in here but I'm not ready for all that extra work. I'm siding on just sticking with computer science but I will definitely be looking more into this.

My main advice is figure it out all now instead of realizing u wanted to do something else 3 yrs later, not very helpful but still important