What is the most exotic meat that you have eaten?

  • 58 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Kevlar101
#1 Edited by Kevlar101 (6316 posts) -

Title says it all. Need I say more?

The most exotic meat I have had was Elk. It was an Elk that someone in my family had hunted, ya know. Very flavorful.

I plan to try Kangaroo and Alligator sometime soon. I'm not kidding.

Avatar image for Kevlar101
#3 Edited by Kevlar101 (6316 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

Kangaroo.

Was it good? Telll meeeeeee

Avatar image for Kevlar101
#5 Posted by Kevlar101 (6316 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@Iszdope said:

Kangaroo.

Was it good? Telll meeeeeee

I think it was good. Maybe a little gamey...not sure...I was trippin' balls at the time.

I have heard that it smells rank......

Avatar image for XilePrincess
#7 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -

Elk or moose or deer or something. In 4th grade we were studying the first nations tribes, and we had a potlatch which is basically the same thing as a potluck where everyone brings a dish, and this one kid and his family were hunters and they brought elk/moose/deer or something. I didn't take seconds, but I don't remember it being terrible. I think I tried some deer sausage once, it didn't taste right, but then again nobody told me it was game beforehand so I just thought it was weird tasting pork.


Next year when I go to California on vacation I'm going to try crayfish and fried catfish. I know they're not really 'exotic', but I live inland in Canada, so they're not things I've ever eaten before.

I wouldn't be opposed to trying game again, but I'm not ever going to eat guinea pig or kangaroo or whatever.

Avatar image for sukraj
#8 Posted by sukraj (27395 posts) -

chicken

Avatar image for yokofox33
#10 Posted by yokofox33 (30774 posts) -

I've eaten raw horse before. It was actually pretty good, but I'd never eat it again.

Avatar image for VaguelyTagged
#11 Posted by VaguelyTagged (10701 posts) -

either sparrow or partridge.

Avatar image for thegerg
#12 Posted by thegerg (18344 posts) -

Shark or dog.

Avatar image for GazaAli
#13 Edited by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

@VaguelyTagged said:

either sparrow or partridge.

These are not really "exotic" from the point of view of a Middle Eastern :P

I remember when I was a kid I used to hunt sparrows and then fry them in a frying pan with some salt and pepper until they get really roasted to the point where it becomes possible to eat the bone along with the flesh. They're tiny with so little flesh so the flesh and those fragile and crunchy bones are inseparable lol

I'd like to also add pigeon to that list. I've eaten pigeons few times in my life. They taste good. A little too skinny, but good overall.

oh and quail too. I tried it like once. Tasted good.

Avatar image for toast_burner
#14 Posted by toast_burner (24801 posts) -

Whale. Tasted quite good.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#15 Posted by ShepardCommandr (4893 posts) -

@sukraj said:

chicken

Avatar image for playmynutz
#16 Edited by playmynutz (7914 posts) -

I ate raw turtle eggs they taste exactly like oysters

@GazaAli : lol my bro use to catch and eat pigeons back in central america

Avatar image for comp_atkins
#17 Posted by comp_atkins (34526 posts) -

i've eaten sweetbreads, fois gras, frog, and lamb tongue

Avatar image for Guybrush_3
#18 Edited by Guybrush_3 (8308 posts) -
@Kevlar101 said:

Title says it all. Need I say more?

The most exotic meat I have had was Elk. It was an Elk that someone in my family had hunted, ya know. Very flavorful.

I plan to try Kangaroo and Alligator sometime soon. I'm not kidding.

Kangaroo is decent. Alligator tail is freaking delicious especially fried.

Other "exotic" meats I have eaten were Nutria (very gamey, not great), Ostritch (tasty, but the texture is stringy), Frog (really does taste like chicken), Bison (like beef but better), and snapping turtle (gross), Quail (awesome), and rabbit (pretty gamey, but still good)

Avatar image for Dogswithguns
#19 Edited by Dogswithguns (11359 posts) -

Nothin.. I live in America I never get to eat good stuff.. :(

Avatar image for destinhpark
#20 Posted by destinhpark (4831 posts) -

I had bbq rattlesnake once. It was awful. Never again.

Avatar image for mindstorm
#21 Posted by mindstorm (15254 posts) -

Perhaps the most irregular meats I have had would be crawfish, frog, lamb, oysters, chicken liver and gizzards, and pickled pig feet.

Avatar image for GazaAli
#22 Posted by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

@playmynutz said:

I ate raw turtle eggs they taste exactly like oysters

@GazaAli : lol my bro use to catch and eat pigeons back in central america

There's no reason why he should not continue doing so in the states :P

Avatar image for Ackad
#23 Edited by Ackad (3183 posts) -

Exotic as in expensive meat or meat that is very different than what most people consume?

Avatar image for GazaAli
#24 Posted by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

@mindstorm said:

Perhaps the most irregular meats I have had would be crawfish, frog, lamb, oysters, chicken liver and gizzards, and pickled pig feet.

I always found it peculiar how chicken liver and gizzards are discarded as inedible in the western world. I read some news article a couple of years ago how the UK made a deal with China to export to it all the chicken liver it can handle, which is really the entire yield of chicken liver in the UK. The thing is, chicken liver is a perfectly edible and rather conventional meat. Its so damn tasty and nutritious, not to mention how cheap it is especially in comparison to its nutritional value. Only bad thing about it is that its considered to be high in cholesterol.

Avatar image for AmazonTreeBoa
#25 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Buffalo

Raw Squid

Shark

Alligator

Chitterlings

Sword Fish

Avatar image for playmynutz
#26 Posted by playmynutz (7914 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@playmynutz said:

I ate raw turtle eggs they taste exactly like oysters

@GazaAli : lol my bro use to catch and eat pigeons back in central america

There's no reason why he should not continue doing so in the states :P

We will eat a healthy pigeon one day

Avatar image for Kevlar101
#27 Posted by Kevlar101 (6316 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@mindstorm said:

Perhaps the most irregular meats I have had would be crawfish, frog, lamb, oysters, chicken liver and gizzards, and pickled pig feet.

I always found it peculiar how chicken liver and gizzards are discarded as inedible in the western world. I read some news article a couple of years ago how the UK made a deal with China to export to it all the chicken liver it can handle, which is really the entire yield of chicken liver in the UK. The thing is, chicken liver is a perfectly edible and rather conventional meat. Its so damn tasty and nutritious, not to mention how cheap it is especially in comparison to its nutritional value. Only bad thing about it is that its considered to be high in cholesterol.

I vaguely remember a period of my life involving a container of gizzards.

Avatar image for bforrester420
#28 Posted by bforrester420 (3480 posts) -

I'm not particularly adventurous when it comes to food. I'm especially averse to most sea food (don't like fish particularly). I would say bison, though that isn't very exotic at all.

Avatar image for MrGeezer
#29 Posted by MrGeezer (59237 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@mindstorm said:

Perhaps the most irregular meats I have had would be crawfish, frog, lamb, oysters, chicken liver and gizzards, and pickled pig feet.

I always found it peculiar how chicken liver and gizzards are discarded as inedible in the western world. I read some news article a couple of years ago how the UK made a deal with China to export to it all the chicken liver it can handle, which is really the entire yield of chicken liver in the UK. The thing is, chicken liver is a perfectly edible and rather conventional meat. Its so damn tasty and nutritious, not to mention how cheap it is especially in comparison to its nutritional value. Only bad thing about it is that its considered to be high in cholesterol.

I live in the southern USA and it's not even considered exotic. Any grocery store will sell them, and you can even order livers and gizzards from fried chicken joints. They're actually fairly popular around here.

Personally though, I just think they taste gross. At least where I live it isn't so much that they're considered inedible, it's that a certain percentage of people just don't like the taste.

Avatar image for musicalmac
#30 Posted by musicalmac (24895 posts) -

The best meat is served raw... so that.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#31 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (30829 posts) -

@playmynutz said:

@GazaAli said:

@playmynutz said:

I ate raw turtle eggs they taste exactly like oysters

@GazaAli : lol my bro use to catch and eat pigeons back in central america

There's no reason why he should not continue doing so in the states :P

We will eat a healthy pigeon one day

Actually pigeon is fantastic, just not the city variety (ie the wood pigeon ... )

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#32 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (30829 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

Whale. Tasted quite good.

There's not many things I wouldn't eat, but dolphin and whale are probably close to the top.

@musicalmac said:

The best meat is served raw... so that.

I do like my steak rare, but other than sushi what meats are you eating raw Mac? :P (and I do love me some sushi)

Avatar image for musicalmac
#33 Posted by musicalmac (24895 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@musicalmac said:

The best meat is served raw... so that.

I do like my steak rare, but other than sushi what meats are you eating raw Mac? :P (and I do love me some sushi)

I dig carpaccio and ceviche, as well as various kinds of sushi (chirashi is almost always a winner -- unless you're in New Mexico and they spell it "Shirashi" then skip it, otherwise, go for it).

,

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#34 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (30829 posts) -

Was thinking about what mine was and I've tried alot of weird and awful stuff lol

Gonna say Rocky Mountain oysters which are bull testicles (although also had sheep and pig testicles)

Avatar image for musicalmac
#35 Edited by musicalmac (24895 posts) -
@blue_hazy_basic said:

Was thinking about what mine was and I've tried alot of weird and awful stuff lol

Gonna say Rocky Mountain oysters which are bull testicles (although also had sheep and pig testicles)

...seem to eat an awful lot of balls there, hazy. No judgement here.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#36 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (30829 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@musicalmac said:

The best meat is served raw... so that.

I do like my steak rare, but other than sushi what meats are you eating raw Mac? :P (and I do love me some sushi)

I dig carpaccio and ceviche, as well as various kinds of sushi (chirashi is almost always a winner -- unless you're in New Mexico and they spell it "Shirashi" then skip it, otherwise, go for it).

,

I got awful food poisoning in Paris from steak tartare last time I had raw non-sushi and I've avoided it since. I LOVE sushi though ...

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#37 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (30829 posts) -

@musicalmac said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

Was thinking about what mine was and I've tried alot of weird and awful stuff lol

Gonna say Rocky Mountain oysters which are bull testicles (although also had sheep and pig testicles)

...seem to eat an awful lot of balls there, hazy. No judgement here.

lol well it was at a testicle festival .... http://omaha.eventful.com/events/annual-testicle-festival-/E0-001-028305228-5

Save the date Mac!

Avatar image for musicalmac
#38 Posted by musicalmac (24895 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@musicalmac said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

Was thinking about what mine was and I've tried alot of weird and awful stuff lol

Gonna say Rocky Mountain oysters which are bull testicles (although also had sheep and pig testicles)

...seem to eat an awful lot of balls there, hazy. No judgement here.

lol well it was at a testicle festival .... http://omaha.eventful.com/events/annual-testicle-festival-/E0-001-028305228-5

Save the date Mac!

lol, only if you're there, hazy.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
#39 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (30829 posts) -

@musicalmac said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@musicalmac said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

Was thinking about what mine was and I've tried alot of weird and awful stuff lol

Gonna say Rocky Mountain oysters which are bull testicles (although also had sheep and pig testicles)

...seem to eat an awful lot of balls there, hazy. No judgement here.

lol well it was at a testicle festival .... http://omaha.eventful.com/events/annual-testicle-festival-/E0-001-028305228-5

Save the date Mac!

lol, only if you're there, hazy.

I'll be there nomming balls!

Avatar image for jun_aka_pekto
#40 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (23046 posts) -

Mutt while visiting the Philippines with my wife. Goes great with beer.

Avatar image for GamerForca
#41 Posted by GamerForca (7203 posts) -

Does snail count? Well, there's a reason it's considered a delicacy in many parts of Europe. They're damned delicious, though when I try to tell Americans, they give me faces like I'm freaking crazy. I've also had deer and elk, along with chicken gizzards, hearts, and livers (not really exotic though). Pork blood that was congealed into sausage was amazing. I've had shark and octopus on many occasions as well.

Avatar image for GazaAli
#42 Posted by GazaAli (25216 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

@GazaAli said:

@mindstorm said:

Perhaps the most irregular meats I have had would be crawfish, frog, lamb, oysters, chicken liver and gizzards, and pickled pig feet.

I always found it peculiar how chicken liver and gizzards are discarded as inedible in the western world. I read some news article a couple of years ago how the UK made a deal with China to export to it all the chicken liver it can handle, which is really the entire yield of chicken liver in the UK. The thing is, chicken liver is a perfectly edible and rather conventional meat. Its so damn tasty and nutritious, not to mention how cheap it is especially in comparison to its nutritional value. Only bad thing about it is that its considered to be high in cholesterol.

I live in the southern USA and it's not even considered exotic. Any grocery store will sell them, and you can even order livers and gizzards from fried chicken joints. They're actually fairly popular around here.

Personally though, I just think they taste gross. At least where I live it isn't so much that they're considered inedible, it's that a certain percentage of people just don't like the taste.

Interesting.

Well regarding the taste, chicken liver tastes excellent, but it has the peculiarity that if not prepared right, it has the potential of tasting awful. Therefore, ordering it from a fried chicken joint is not a wise thing to do. For instance, chicken liver is not to be fried in the first place, it tastes best roasted or stir fried. It also requires vigorous cleaning and should be washed with salt, flour and vinegar to get rid of blood and that stinky smell it has. Then you season or marinate it for sufficient time and after you do all of this properly you roast or stir fry it with onions, chili peppers, garlic and some of its marinate. The final product is a very flavorful and tasty cheap, nutritious meat. You can see how a fried chicken joint would not be willing to do any of that, at least sufficiently so even though I love chicken liver so much I would never get it from a fried chicken joint.

Avatar image for musicalmac
#43 Posted by musicalmac (24895 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@musicalmac said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@musicalmac said:
@blue_hazy_basic said:

Was thinking about what mine was and I've tried alot of weird and awful stuff lol

Gonna say Rocky Mountain oysters which are bull testicles (although also had sheep and pig testicles)

...seem to eat an awful lot of balls there, hazy. No judgement here.

lol well it was at a testicle festival .... http://omaha.eventful.com/events/annual-testicle-festival-/E0-001-028305228-5

Save the date Mac!

lol, only if you're there, hazy.

I'll be there nomming balls!

I'm laughing out loud now, truly. lol

Avatar image for thegerg
#44 Edited by thegerg (18344 posts) -

@GazaAli: When chicken livers are fried right they are delicious. It's silly to say they're not supposed to be cooked a certain way just because you prefer it be done differently.

Avatar image for thegerg
#45 Posted by thegerg (18344 posts) -

@GamerForca: Snails really are delicious, even though Europeans think it's crazy to eat them.

Avatar image for Kage1
#46 Posted by Kage1 (6793 posts) -

Deer, Frog legs, Shark, Bull Balls

Avatar image for themajormayor
#47 Posted by themajormayor (25642 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@GamerForca: Snails really are delicious, even though Europeans think it's crazy to eat them.

Don't generalize. Eating snails is most commonly associated with France (which is located in Europe).

Avatar image for helwa1988
#48 Edited by helwa1988 (2157 posts) -

Camel.

Avatar image for themajormayor
#49 Posted by themajormayor (25642 posts) -

Anyway:

Liver, Heart, Spleen, Kidney, Stomach, Throat.

The most exotic animal is probably reindeer or something. Not very exotic. Will try camel soon I hope. And ostrich.

Avatar image for the_bi99man
#50 Posted by the_bi99man (11244 posts) -

Human.

is he joking? Hahaha. You'll never know.