What do you think about return of Nicolas Cage in “Mandy” movie?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Senergy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Senergy
Member since 2018 • 49 Posts

This movie has very good rating in Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic. Many people liked Nicolas Cage and thought that he have had the best role for last years. I was a bit surprised when I knew about it. I recently watched this film and didn’t see anything special. I mean, yes, Nicolas Cage was crazy and mad, but not enough. I was impressed with only one scene (when he cried and drunk).

What do you think? Have you seen this movie? Did you like it? Did you like Nicolas Cage in “Mandy”?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

It's limited release. I don't think I can see it around any of my theaters :(

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts
@davillain- said:

It's also available to rent or purchase through Amazon, Google Play, and YouTube, at least in the US.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@senergy said:

This movie has very good rating in Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic. Many people liked Nicolas Cage and thought that he have had the best role for last years. I was a bit surprised when I knew about it. I recently watched this film and didn’t see anything special. I mean, yes, Nicolas Cage was crazy and mad, but not enough. I was impressed with only one scene (when he cried and drunk).

What do you think? Have you seen this movie? Did you like it? Did you like Nicolas Cage in “Mandy”?

While he was once a pretty respected actor, "his best film in years" isn't exactly a high bar anymore. However, for the more manic energy he's been bringing to his more recent roles, I thought it was a good fit for this 80s period piece, Rob Zombie-esque blood revenge thriller.

The one part that I was surprised by, though, was I was totally expecting Mandy to still be alive. She was burned in a burlap sack and you never really saw her. I thought they were going to use that for a switch-a-roo but they didn't. Props to any movie that can keep me guessing.

I also liked Beyond the Black Rainbow (same director and another film masquerading as an 80s flick) although that one had a really odd narrative structure.

Loading Video...

-Byshop

Senergy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Senergy
Member since 2018 • 49 Posts

@davillain- said:

You can see this movie online. Some services allow it. I know about limited release. I saw "Mandy" when limited release in my country started. I just wanted to see "Mandy" in a cinema (because of visual effects), but it's not obligatory for everybody.

@Byshop said:

While he was once a pretty respected actor, "his best film in years" isn't exactly a high bar anymore. However, for the more manic energy he's been bringing to his more recent roles, I thought it was a good fit for this 80s period piece, Rob Zombie-esque blood revenge thriller.

The one part that I was surprised by, though, was I was totally expecting Mandy to still be alive. She was burned in a burlap sack and you never really saw her. I thought they were going to use that for a switch-a-roo but they didn't. Props to any movie that can keep me guessing.

I also liked Beyond the Black Rainbow (same director and another film masquerading as an 80s flick) although that one had a really odd narrative structure.

-Byshop

Wow, I was waiting for alive Mandy too! I think it would be a good scenario twist. Unfortunately they didn't use it.

I have never seen "Beyond the Black Rainbow". I recently read about this film because I was interested about Panos Cosmatos. He used interesting visual effects in "Mandy" and I wanted to know more about his other movies. I'm going too watch "Beyond the Black Rainbow" (maybe soon).

When I was watching "Mandy", I thought about many references. I saw many things which looked like things in other films or video games. For example, "Hellraiser" or "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre", even Diablo games. Did you see the same or other references?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

He was very good in Joe, which also scored well critically, though bombed financially.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@senergy: @hallenbeck77: Thanks you guys. I'll see if I can watch Mandy online.