what do you think about people who don't have a degree?

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
how do you view them
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Don't care.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Cretinous vermin.

Jagged3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Jagged3dge
Member since 2008 • 3895 Posts

Couldn't care less.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I love em more..
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Why would anybody look down upon somebody for not having a degree?

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
After spending several years studying and coming out of it without a job to show for it I can't help but feel that they did something right.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I couldn't care less. Why would I care about their level of education? Common sense smarts are what I look at.

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

Wasdie

I know this is actually making my head hurt! Must be the lack of a degree!

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Wasdie

Because getting a degree is an accomplishment that requires hard work and intelligence, at least in your field of study. That being said, I know plenty of people who are getting a degree who are dumb as bricks in everything else, or at least act like it. I also recognize that our pre-college educational system is frelled and that college costs are out of control and not everyone can pay them. I have more respect for people with degrees than otherwise, slightly less respect for people who have aspirations for higher education but are victims of circumstance, and very little respect for people who just don't care about continuing education.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38686 Posts
i don't care either way. it's their life, not mine
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

theone86

Because getting a degree is an accomplishment that requires hard work and intelligence, at least in your field of study. That being said, I know plenty of people who are getting a degree who are dumb as bricks in everything else, or at least act like it. I also recognize that our pre-college educational system is frelled and that college costs are out of control and not everyone can pay them. I have more respect for people with degrees than otherwise, slightly less respect for people who have aspirations for higher education but are victims of circumstance, and very little respect for people who just don't care about continuing education.

This is why I couldn't care less if someone has a degree or not. I know people who are sharp as a tack in their career field, but in terms of basic life common sense, they're seemingly dumb as a tree stump. Someone's book smarts don't matter to me.

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
just do you homie
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Same as anyone else

I remember you also made a topic stating you think people who never bother to learn another language outside of English lazy.

OP is a jerk

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

If you don't need a degree for your desired career and you are happy, what does it matter?

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

Same as anyone else

I remember you also made a topic stating you think people who never bother to learn another language outside of English lazy.

OP is a jerk

whiskeystrike
i wasn't being serious in that thread.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
A degree is pretty stupid as its own accomplishment, people generally get a degree because they're hoping it'll help them get a job. So I don't see why I'd think any differently of them just because they have a degree. Hypothetically, I might respect the work that a person does, and it very well may be possible that that work would have been impossible without a degree. Still, I'm not respecting them for their degree, I'm respecting them for the work that they do.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

theone86

Getting a degree is an accomplishment that does take hard work, but after getting one myself and going through the process, it's less about hard work and more about if you're willing to put in the time.

The only people I look down upon in society are those who squander opportunity while feeding off of others. I'm not talking about people who come from underprivileged families or people who get laid off and face hardships. I'm talking about the people who are given everything they need to succeed but choose to fail and then become a leech off of somebody or society in general. I saw it happen in school a few times. I also have seen what has become of a handful of my high school graduating class who had opportunity but squandered it.

Some people are simply too entitled to actually use what they have to make something of themselves. They feel they are above putting effort into something and just whine and complain while others provide for them.

I've seen people squander college degrees in the same way. Kids who's parents pay their way through school only for them to party constantly and then move back in with their parents once they graduate with a barely passing GPA.

Generally speaking, people who do not get a degree or some sort of education past high school do have more challenges in life. While they didn't go on to work hard for 4-5 years to get a degree, they face many more years of hardships. While they may have it easier for the first few years out of highschool and on their own, they end up stuck in a rut and unable to get out. I don't look down on these people because it's their choice. School isn't for everybody. Some people just don't care to learn and would rather work. I respect that.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts
I am a retail manager and have been working retail for the vast majority of my life. I work with a lot of people that have a 4 year degrees and they are no better off financially than I am outside of the fact that they have 50-100K in student loans and I dont. In my opinion unless you are going to specialize in something along the lines of a medical, mechanical or law centered career, a basic 4 year degree means very little. There is something to be said about finding that thing that you enjoy and working your way up.
o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts
After spending several years studying and coming out of it without a job to show for it I can't help but feel that they did something right.Articuno76
Too true, I am finding it hard to get work and quite literally in the UK a degree is a product the goverment sell as must and target it towards the "poor" people who will gain lots of benefit; literrally thousands of pounds to then upon completion to be told at a job center "yeah so... erm... you know your qualifications, lets forget about them and lets get you a job in a shop where your skills are useless, we will ignore your notion of not wanting to work there and to wanting to have a career in something you have spent £12,000 of loan on and from there you are on your own. Next?!?!" The whole educational system over here is nothing but political BS over run by left wing idiots who literally don't give a monkeys about anyone who isnt flat out broke because they will only help people who will make them look good. Its elitism of the poor. I wait for a time where by people are judged by ability alone.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Pirate700

This is why I couldn't care less if someone has a degree or not. I know people who are sharp as a tack in their career field, but in terms of basic life common sense, they're seemingly dumb as a tree stump. Someone's book smarts don't matter to me.

Common sense is more or less an ad populum appeal, which is why I generally dislike it as a measure of someone's intelligence. Aside from that, it is very subjective. What you might think is common sense may not be common sense for someone else. That's not always because they lack common sense, it's because common sense is a vague term.

Besides, what I'm talking about isn't so much what you would (probably) call common sense, it's more just people acting in an unconcerned and apathetic manner. They're in college, they're being educated about all these large issues, and yet in their free time all they do is get stupid drunk and talk about how stupid drunk they got. Okay, so you're getting an advanced biochem degree, your conversations are still about as edifying as those of a grade-schooler.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

Doesn' t matter to me. It' s their choice/life and won' t change the way I see them.

pspdseagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pspdseagle
Member since 2007 • 3307 Posts
I'm not here to judge. Indifferent.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#24 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Doesn't matter to me. Not having a degree doesn't make them any less of a person, and I personally know several people with degrees that are stupid, and vice versa.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

I appreciate someone who is bright, well informed and has ambition. Generally, a degree is proof (to some extent) of those qualities. But. a degree is only one of many indicators of those qualities, so it really doesn't matter.

despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts

As long as they use some other deoderant that's fine.

I have Old Spice instead of degree.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

No problems with that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Scum of the earth... oh wait

killyou060606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 killyou060606
Member since 2005 • 27091 Posts
[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

Same as anyone else

OP is a jerk

Lonelynight
i wasn't being serious in that thread.

How about now?
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23161 Posts
As long as they're smart, that's all I care about.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
I'd like fries and diet coke with that. Oh and my hedges need some trimming this weekend if you could use the cash.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#32 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Doesn't make much sense to look down or to respect them without knowing anything about them, what they are doing, what they want to do, what they got a degree in and from where if they have one, etc.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

It's not really that hard to get a Bachelor's degree. It's just a time and money problem I would assume for most.

ShoTTyMcNaDeS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ShoTTyMcNaDeS
Member since 2011 • 2784 Posts
I'd like fries and diet coke with that. Oh and my hedges need some trimming this weekend if you could use the cash.lo_Pine
I hope you are kidding! You have clue as to why someone doesn't go to a college of some sort to get a degree. Maybe they can't afford it. Maybe they don't like school. Like I said earlier, I know PLENTY of people that have degrees and have done NOTHING with them! What good is a basic Business degree in today's world. You can spend 4 years getting a degree in Business Management and come into the work force with absolutely no knowledge in how to run a business or manage a staff. How about the guy that spends 4 years getting a degree in Art History? What about the person that uses 4 years of school to get a Bachelors in Oriental Studies? Lots of jobs in those fields!!
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

despa1r_fact0r
LMAO!!!!
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#36 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
The only reason why I'd care is if someone was doing the same job as me getting paid more and didn't have a degree.
Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#37 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Does being a 2nd degree black belt in Karate count?

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

Does being a 2nd degree black belt in Karate count?

Legend002

That' s the coolest degree ever.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
I feel a bit of pity since they will most likely not make much money.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#40 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

despa1r_fact0r
lol, that was good.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
The only reason why I'd care is if someone was doing the same job as me getting paid more and didn't have a degree.JustPlainLucas
Why? If they're fully capable and qualified to do the job without having a degree, then why should someone else get paid more (or even the same) just because they have a degree?
masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts

I judge people on who they are..not what a piece of paper says. Its shocking that people will have less respect for someone...just because they don't hold a title

Kats_RK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Kats_RK
Member since 2010 • 2080 Posts

Don't care to be honest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
Eh, I don't have a degree and i don't really need one. My trade will earn me more money than most degrees and in a way-shorter timeframe.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Save yourself while you're still in time.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
As long as they're smart, that's all I care about. megagene
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#47 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I point and giggle. Then I remember I don't have one and burst into tears.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#48 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Cretinous vermin.

worlock77
You need to use smaller/simpler words or those neanderthals won't understand you.
zenogandia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 zenogandia
Member since 2012 • 861 Posts

They're trash. Absolute filth.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Smart enough not to waste money on university.