US soldier who leaked info to Wikileaks being tortured?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#151 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
In most countries, he would have been shot on the spot. stanleycup98
Russia and China, maybe, but I doubt many hold them as moral compasses. No democratic nation would shoot him before the trial, and even then most of the western world has abolished the death penalty.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

Generally what happens when you betray your country IS NOT sunshine and lollipops. I may not totally agree with his punishment, but there's no way anyone can say he did not have it coming.

When you're with the government, you play by their rules. Plain and simple.

Also, the first link almost gave me a virus, but my anti-virus blocked it, thanks TC.

supa_badman

When was he convicted?

stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#153 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts
[QUOTE="stanleycup98"]In most countries, he would have been shot on the spot. inoperativeRS
Russia and China, maybe, but I doubt many hold them as moral compasses. No democratic nation would shoot him before the trial, and even then most of the western world has abolished the death penalty.

I didn't say democratic nations for a reason
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#154 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Tell me something: why were W. Mark Felt and Daniel Ellsberg never charged with treason?

worlock77

Ellsberg was charged with treason.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#155 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="Radiatedrich91"]

The people he exposed are the real traitors.

Hockey_Slayer

Traitors to what exactly?

Did they not betray your trust by keeping this information away from you (the people)?

No....... unless of course people think it's reasonable to force the army to give out classified information when it is still relevant.

Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Acemaster27
Member since 2004 • 4482 Posts
He better be glad he's not being executed for treason.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 inoperativeRS

[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]Forget all the legal nonsense of the oath he took or the level of his clearance; can anyone say with a straight face that what he did was WRONG, ethically? Heck no. UnknownSniper65

He acted bravely (and I think he could argue he upheld his oath by defending the ideals of the country he swore it to), but whether or not what he did was right or not is a very hard question to answer.

Oath of enlistment to the United States Armed Forces

"I, XXXXXXXXXX, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

Fair enough. In that case he only has his own conviction to stand on.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

He better be glad he's not being executed for treason.Acemaster27

He was not CONVICTED of treason. In fact, he has not even been put on trial.

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#159 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

[QUOTE="supa_badman"]

Generally what happens when you betray your country IS NOT sunshine and lollipops. I may not totally agree with his punishment, but there's no way anyone can say he did not have it coming.

Also, the first link almost gave me a virus, but my anti-virus blocked it, thanks TC.

Dark_Knight6

When was he convicted?

He wasn't, but he's going to be tried, and might be looking at a 52 year sentence. ...Not sure if you're being serious.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#160 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]Forget all the legal nonsense of the oath he took or the level of his clearance; can anyone say with a straight face that what he did was WRONG, ethically? Heck no. UnknownSniper65

He acted bravely (and I think he could argue he upheld his oath by defending the ideals of the country he swore it to), but whether or not what he did was right or not is a very hard question to answer.

Oath of enlistment to the United States Armed Forces

"I, XXXXXXXXXX, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

And yet, if this goes to federal court, the military can kiss their ass if they think they can convict him. Torture doesnt help your cause...

Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 Acemaster27

[QUOTE="Acemaster27"]He better be glad he's not being executed for treason.Dark_Knight6

Knowingly giving classified documents to anyone not authorized to have them is treason. And the penalty is death.
Hockey_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Hockey_Slayer
Member since 2004 • 3213 Posts

[QUOTE="Hockey_Slayer"]

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

Did they not betray your trust by keeping this information away from you (the people)?

No....... unless of course people think it's reasonable to force the army to give out classified information when it is still relevant.

If it's relevant we shouldn't have to force them to do anything. We deserve to hear the information.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 GabuEx

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="Acemaster27"]He better be glad he's not being executed for treason.Acemaster27

Knowingly giving classified documents to anyone not authorized to have them is treason. And the penalty is death.

Then, it seems to me that they can have a trial, and duly convict him of such, no?

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="Acemaster27"]He better be glad he's not being executed for treason.Acemaster27

Doesn't excuse them from torturing him and keeping him in solitary confinement when he's still innocent as far as the law in concerned.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#165 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

[QUOTE="supa_badman"]

sSubZerOo

Imprisonment yes.. But this? This is torture. If this article is accurate, this is most likely a violation of the geneva convention.. Because sleep deprevation along with other things can be described as a form of torture and is a human rights violation.

It is, but 'desperate times' calls for 'desperate measures' apparently.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="stanleycup98"]In most countries, he would have been shot on the spot. stanleycup98

I didn't say democratic nations for a reason

So exactly what was the point of your original statement?
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Ace6301
If I remember correctly, didn't he put tons of people who works for government in danger? This is more like a mass muder if those people got killed due to his information leak. He might as well released nuke code and said he didn't killed millions of people because he didn't launch the nuke.magicalclick
Pentagon has claimed he didn't put any lives at risk.
xLFTMx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 xLFTMx
Member since 2010 • 987 Posts

[QUOTE="Hockey_Slayer"]

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

They hid information that was only hidden because it made the government look bad, and because they could be held accountable for the helicopter fiasco.

Until they can be trusted to be honest with the poeple, it's our right to know whats going on.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Espada12

If it's relevant we shouldn't have to force them to do anything. We deserve to hear the information.

Hockey_Slayer

Classified information when it's relevant remains classified because it is relevant and showing the whole world at the current time is not a smart idea. If you want some transparency wait till it pops up here.

http://www.foia.cia.gov/

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 GabuEx

If I remember correctly, didn't he put tons of people who works for government in danger?magicalclick

There is not one piece of evidence that I know of that these leaks endangered lives.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="Hockey_Slayer"]

Espada12

Classified information when it's relevant remains classified because it is relevant and showing the whole world at the current time is not a smart idea. If you want some transparency wait till it pops up here.

How long would i have waited to know that the UK traded the Lockerbie Bomber for oil?

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

[QUOTE="Acemaster27"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

GabuEx

Then, it seems to me that they can have a trial, and duly convict him of such, no?

Exactly.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Hockey_Slayer"]

Espada12

Cause people should only care what their government was up to 50 years ago! Not like we elect these guys or anything after all.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Espada12

They hid information that was only hidden because it made the government look bad, and because they could be held accountable for the helicopter fiasco.

Until they can be trusted to be honest with the poeple, it's our right to know whats going on.

xLFTMx

It doesn't matter the reason why they hid it. If they believe it's harmful in anyway way I see no issue with them hiding it. Though I'd like to know where every nuclear submarine is located in the world and where every nuclear missle is located in the US! I have a right to know!!!!!!

Hockey_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Hockey_Slayer

[QUOTE="Hockey_Slayer"]

Espada12

So you're telling me information we deserve to hear; we can't because its "****fied". So why do you think it's ****fied?? To benefit us?? I think not..
Edit: Don't know why they are censoring the word C lassified...

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="Hockey_Slayer"]

Ace6301

Cause people should only care what their government was up to 50 years ago! Not like we elect these guys or anything after all.

There are documents from 05 on there....

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="Hockey_Slayer"]

Hockey_Slayer

So you're telling me information we deserve to hear; we can't because its "****fied". So why do you think it's ****fied?? To benefit us?? I think not..

It's ****fied to benefit us of course, would you like the world to know all the base locations, defenses, the numbers of personnel, the location of all the nukes, nuclear submarines, aircraft carriers, naval patrol routes, operational data/tactics and all the military technology (experimental and current) of your country?

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

There are documents from 05 on there....

They never release the fun stuff though. I don't care about troop locations in Iraq and crap like that, it's all dull and boring. I'm more interested in the lies the US tells it's citizens and the world. Really doubt they would release that kind of stuff.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 inoperativeRS

It's ****fied to benefit us of course, would you like the world to know all the base locations, defenses, the numbers of personnel, the location of all the nukes, nuclear submarines, aircraft carriers, naval patrol routes, operational data/tactics and all the military technology (experimental and current) of your country?

Espada12
But that's not what was revealed in the information that Manning leaked, and there's no evidence that anyone has been harmed because of the leak. Strawmen are not cool.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 DroidPhysX

I am watching 24, and, it really pissed me off when those traitors don't care about other people's life, but, themselves. And what pissed me off is because they know they can get away with it by hiring an evil lawyer. And people like Jake who does everything for his country is treated as a criminal. Anyway, if I work for government, the first thing I will tell them is, don't give me anything important :). I don't want to get tortured by bad guys or become traitor and get tortured by good guys.magicalclick
I think the hilirious part of your post is that you think our government is 'the good guys'.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Ace6301
[QUOTE="magicalclick"]I am watching 24, and, it really pissed me off when those traitors don't care about other people's life, but, themselves. And what pissed me off is because they know they can get away with it by hiring an evil lawyer. And people like Jake who does everything for his country is treated as a criminal. Anyway, if I work for government, the first thing I will tell them is, don't give me anything important :). I don't want to get tortured by bad guys or become traitor and get tortured by good guys.

Real life is nothing like 24. Todays traitor can be tomorrows hero. You say Jack is treated like a criminal but then say the government is the good guys. Your post even contradicts it's self using it's own logic.
Hockey_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Hockey_Slayer

[QUOTE="Hockey_Slayer"]

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

No of course not. But you're missing the point. This man did not give out this information.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Espada12

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

inoperativeRS

But that's not what was revealed in the information that Manning leaked, and there's no evidence that anyone has been harmed because of the leak. Strawmen are not cool.

I never argued that was what manning gave out, someone told me that we have a right to hear classified relevant information. I'm merely backing up my stance on why that is not true.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 inoperativeRS

[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="Espada12"]

Espada12

I never argued that was what manning gave out, someone told me that we have a right to hear classified relevant information. I'm merely backing up my stance on why that is not true.

In that case you're still not explaining why people shouldn't be allowed to know the information that Manning leaked. False dilemma.
raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts

Espada12

So I suppose if he had leaked classified information that civilians were being secretly detained, placed into FEMA death camps, and being experimented on, you would call "TREASON" and say that the people don't have a right to that information? You'd be happy for Manning to be tortured, imprissoned for life or executed?

Governments work for their people, not the other way around.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Can't say I'm surprised, infact i'd be more surprised if the US didn't torture him and I'm infact a little shocked they aren't doing worse things to him. Not that I condone of it.
Acemaster27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Acemaster27

[QUOTE="Acemaster27"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

GabuEx

You're right, he does deserve a court martial hearing. I'm just saying he's lucky not to be on death row by now.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#193 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Acemaster27"] Knowingly giving classified documents to anyone not authorized to have them is treason. And the penalty is death.Acemaster27

You're right, he does deserve a court martial hearing. I'm just saying he's lucky not to be on death row by now.

There are worse things than death.. This would be one of them if he stays there for years.
Hockey_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 Hockey_Slayer

Espada12

Hmmm thought I made myself clear by saying "information we deserve to hear". But maybe I never so let me try again. The information Manning sent out was something we needed to hear but no. They made it c lassified only to save their own asses. You asked why they are the traitors and I'm saying they are because they betrayed our trust by hiding information away from us that we deserve to hear.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts
So his one friend says he's "catatonic" then says he brightened up when talking about Tunisia and Egypt....well which is it? Other than his friends mixed messages.....what other source is there?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Tell me something: why were W. Mark Felt and Daniel Ellsberg never charged with treason?

GabuEx

Ellsberg was charged with treason.

I believe he was charged with espionage but not treason.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 Espada12

In that case you're still not explaining why people shouldn't be allowed to know the information that Manning leaked. False dilemma.inoperativeRS

Because the government doesn't want it to be out in the open for whatever reasons. That's a good enough reason. Can someone explain to me why we should know? I mean we know it... now what? What have we gained?

Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#199 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts

I'm am becoming more and more ashamed to call myself a human being.

xLFTMx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 xLFTMx
Member since 2010 • 987 Posts

[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"]

In that case you're still not explaining why people shouldn't be allowed to know the information that Manning leaked. False dilemma.Espada12

Because the government doesn't want it to be out in the open for whatever reasons. That's a good enough reason. Can someone explain to me why we should know? I mean we know it... now what? What have we gained?

You don't understand why CIVILIAN casualty statistics are important? Thats a major deal and may affect the US citizens opinion on the war as a whole. Which is why it was kept from us. Which is not democratic.

We've gained truth.