US evangelical Christians accused of promoting hom*phobia in Africa

• 193 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jul/24/evangelical-christians-homophobia-africa

Christian evangelical groups in the US are attempting a "cultural colonisation" of Africa, opening offices in numerous countries to promote attacks on homosexuality and abortion, according to an investigation by a liberal thinktank.

American religious organisations are expanding their operations across the continent, lobbying for conservative policies and laws and fanning homophobia, argues the Boston-based Political Research Associates (PRA).

The groups include the American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ), founded by the televangelist Pat Robertson, which has established bases in Kenya and Zimbabwe.

"The religious right [in effect] claims that human rights activists are neocolonialists out to destroy Africa," the report states. Groups named in it vehemently rejected the claims.

It identified three organisations it believes are aggressively targeting the continent: Robertson's ACLJ, the Catholic group Human Life International and Family Watch International, led by the Mormon activist Sharon Slater.

Each of these "frame their agendas as authentically African, in an effort to brand human rights advocacy as a new colonialism bent on destroying cultural traditions and values", the report says.

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts

This is where we should be handing out 1984 books to these people instead of bibles. Their minds are being twisted and they literally have absolutely no clue.

But then again, it could be to their benefit to at least support what the white man is doing in their country because any support is more support than they get... if that makes any sense I am really tired. Can't go to bed though.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

Homophobia is now anyone who thinks Homosexuality is wrong.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Religious organisations promoting their agenda at the expense of a population's stability and welfare is nothing new.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Philokalia

If I think being black is wrong is it racist? Of course it is

If I think being a woman is wrong is it sexist?

What makes this any different?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

[QUOTE="Philokalia"]

toast_burner

1.thinking being a woman is wrong is being gay...sexism usually defines that you think women are beneath you, cannot do what men can...etc not that they are wrong...
2.Racism is usually that because they are of a different ethnicity then you you think they are horrible evil people, make up stereo types...etc so no thinking something is wrong isn't racist, sexist or homophobic its when you do something and try to denegrate said people that it becomes such.

P.S: africans are open mined about men having sex with men? this is news to me...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="Philokalia"]

WilliamRLBaker

.... 1.thinking being a woman is being gay...sexism usually defines that you think women are beneath you, cannot do what men can...etc not that they are wrong... 2.Racism is usually that because they are of a different ethnicity then you you think they are horrible evil people, make up stereo types...etc so no thinking something is wrong isn't racist, sexist or homophobic its when you do something and try to degenerate said people that it becomes such. P.S: africans are open mined about men having sex with men? this is news to me...

WTF are you talking about?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 WilliamRLBaker

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]

toast_burner

.... 1.thinking being a woman is being gay...sexism usually defines that you think women are beneath you, cannot do what men can...etc not that they are wrong... 2.Racism is usually that because they are of a different ethnicity then you you think they are horrible evil people, make up stereo types...etc so no thinking something is wrong isn't racist, sexist or homophobic its when you do something and try to degenerate said people that it becomes such. P.S: africans are open mined about men having sex with men? this is news to me...

^edit gamespot messed up my formatting when I tried to edit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"] .... 1.thinking being a woman is being gay...sexism usually defines that you think women are beneath you, cannot do what men can...etc not that they are wrong... 2.Racism is usually that because they are of a different ethnicity then you you think they are horrible evil people, make up stereo types...etc so no thinking something is wrong isn't racist, sexist or homophobic its when you do something and try to degenerate said people that it becomes such. P.S: africans are open mined about men having sex with men? this is news to me...WilliamRLBaker

When did I mention anything about thinking a women is gay When did I say homosexuality is accepted in Africa? Over half your post as no relevence to anything.

Also thinking a innate characteristic about someone is wrong does mean you think they're below you, how could you possibly think you're equal but say you're right and they're wrong?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WilliamRLBaker

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]

toast_burner

When did I mention anything about thinking a women is gay When did I say homosexuality is accepted in Africa? Over half your post as no relevence to anything.

Also thinking a innate characteristic about someone is wrong does mean you think they're below you, how could you possibly think you're equal but say you're right and they're wrong?

*sighs* you are a freaking moron you didn't even go up and read the redit.

1.THINKING BEING A WOMAN IS WRONG IS BEING GAY....I.E if you are a man and you think women are wrong you never want to see them...etc obviously your gay.

2.P.S: does not refer to you it refers to the topic at hand you would think you'd be able understand that.....White christians going to africa teaching homophobia where in most african rural villages the village chief would likely have his gay son or other gay men of the tribe exiled or worse?

3.equality has nothing to do with racism except for the natural affect racism has and thus equality..one can think of another as unequal and still treat them with some form of respect or kindness. I do not think a murderer or child molestor is equal to me but I wouldn't kill them, harras them, or hurt them. *not equating murderers or child molestors to black people by the way* one can think another is wrong and tolerate them it is when one acts upon those beliefs in a violent or denegrating way toward the subject of those beliefs that they become racist, homophobic, sexist.

It is the messed up Politically correct evolution of our world that we have to accept every one for every thing and not just tolerate them they have mixed acceptance and tolerance up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Philokalia

Well, duh?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44564 Posts
I think "homophobia" undersells what American Evangelicals are trying to accomplish in Africa, it's much worse than just shaping social views, it's leading to the subverting of human rights through violence, imprisonment, even the threat of torture and execution. Some of these American religious leaders spreading their hate in Africa belong behind bars.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

[QUOTE="Philokalia"]

Aljosa23

Well, duh?

Then how is it that I have so many friends who are homosexuals?
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Philokalia
In order not to be homophobic you have to promote for homosexuality and join them gay parades.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Philokalia"]

mindstorm

Well, duh?

Hate the sin, love the sinner?

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
yup..that's the plan of Christians...head to Africa and create the African Anti-Homosexual Uprising...busted....as soon as I saw "a Liberal Think-tank reports"....I just ignored it....I'm sure there's some asshat there who said something..but there's not systematic effort....hence no story.....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

yup..that's the plan of Christians...head to Africa and create the African Anti-Homosexual Uprising...busted....as soon as I saw "a Liberal Think-tank reports"....I just ignored it....I'm sure there's some asshat there who said something..but there's not systematic effort....hence no story.....Omni-Slash

Would it really surprise you if it's true? Remember when the catholic church said that condoms cause AIDS, I wonder how many people died from AIDS due to the lies spread by them. But let me guess that never actually happened and was made up to make the church look bad.

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
THINKING BEING A WOMAN IS WRONG IS BEING GAY....I.E if you are a man and you think women are wrong you never want to see them...etc obviously your gay.WilliamRLBaker
So basically if you don't want to have sex with something, it is wrong? How do you feel about dogs?
Omni-Wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Omni-Wrath
Member since 2008 • 1970 Posts

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Philokalia"]

mindstorm

Well, duh?

Try this. Ask many of your homosexual friends if it is a choice to be one; you'll find out they don't have a choice of choosing their sexuality.

And when exactly did you choose your sexuality? Most likely when you were going through puberty, you started getting attracted to females; in homosexual males just the opposite occurs.

Despite homosexuality not be a choice for a majority of people, why does God make this a sin?

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts

Would it really surprise you if it's true? Remember when the catholic church said that condoms cause AIDS, I wonder how many people died from AIDS due to the lies spread by them. But let me guess that never actually happened and was made up to make the church look bad.

toast_burner

way to put words in my mouth....just because I don't agree with this story doesn't mean I'm a defender of the catholic church...if this story was about somethign other than homosexulatity and the story quoted was by a conservative think tank you bet your ass you'd be questioning it's validity (as you should)....btw......I think the spread of aids in Africa is caused by much more than that condom fiasco though...you've got rampant rape and the belief that sleeping with a virgin will cure AIDS...(not the best combination)....and in case anyone hasn't seen this....enjoy...

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I wonder how many conservative would just dismiss this since it came from a "liberal think-tank"
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

Bigoted sh!theads.

Philokalia

Always has and always will be.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

Well from the news I've heard Africa both the Muslim and Christian parts is already extremely homophobic, so these missionaries should just focus on building schools and giving people food. Perhaps burn the bibile as fire starter as well instead of making people think that a supposedly loving god will join these poor souls in the afterlife after condeming them to a life of poverty and suffering.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Well from the news I've heard Africa both the Muslim and Christian parts is already extremely homophobic, so these missionaries should just focus on building schools and giving people food. Perhaps burn the bibile as fire starter as well instead of making people think that a supposedly loving god will join these poor souls in the afterlife after condeming them to a life of poverty and suffering.

BossPerson

Reminds me of this article

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
They promote it here in the US, I don't see why its such a long shot to think they'd do it over seas.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts
Ah Think Tanks and OT's naivety on believing everything published....:lol: I don't think anyone has to convince those in Africa anything about homosexuality. They seem to have their own ideas already.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ghoklebutter

I don't think anyone has to convince those in Africa anything about homosexuality. They seem to have their own ideas already.LJS9502_basic

True, but if anything, these evangelists are just adding more fuel to the fire.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mindstorm

[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]Well, duh?

Omni-Wrath

Try this. Ask many of your homosexual friends if it is a choice to be one; you'll find out they don't have a choice of choosing their sexuality.

And when exactly did you choose your sexuality? Most likely when you were going through puberty, you started getting attracted to females; in homosexual males just the opposite occurs.

Despite homosexuality not be a choice for a majority of people, why does God make this a sin?

I honestly do not know if it is a choice or not. However, it certainly is a choice whether or not they will be in a sexually active relationship. But as for me personally, I remember as early as age 5 that the reason I liked girls was because I was supposed to like girls. The only reason why I found guys repulsive was because it was socially frowned upon. Only as time progressed was my reasoning to be a heterosexual because of my attractions. Also, you presuppose that sin is easy to overcome. Never are we promised to easily be able to conquer sin in this life.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I don't think anyone has to convince those in Africa anything about homosexuality. They seem to have their own ideas already.ghoklebutter

True, but if anything, these evangelists are just adding more fuel to the fire.

Oh I won't deny that. But I don't necessarily believe all the random links we get in OT.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="Omni-Wrath"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"] Then how is it that I have so many friends who are homosexuals? mindstorm

I honestly do not know if it is a choice or not. However, it certainly is a choice whether or not they will be in a sexually active relationship. But as for me personally, I remember as early as age 5 that the reason I liked girls was because I was supposed to like girls. The only reason why I found guys repulsive was because it was socially frowned upon. Only as time progressed was my reasoning to be a heterosexual because of my attractions. Also, you presuppose that sin is easy to overcome. Never are we promised to easily be able to conquer sin in this life.

He didn't say sin is easy to overcome, he asked why is it a sin in the first place.

seahorse123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 seahorse123
Member since 2012 • 1237 Posts
In my opinion it should still be classed as a mental disorder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

In my opinion it should still be classed as a mental disorder seahorse123
Why?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#33 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="Omni-Wrath"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"] Then how is it that I have so many friends who are homosexuals? mindstorm

If you think it is possible that it is a choice, why do you think someone would choose to be gay?

And if it's not a choice, that how does it make sense for God to label it a sin?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Omni-Wrath"]

GreySeal9

If you think it is possible that it is a choice, why do you think someone would choose to be gay?

And if it's not a choice, that how does it make sense for God to label it a sin?

FYI....being a homosexual is not labeled a sin.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mindstorm

[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Omni-Wrath"]

toast_burner

He didn't say sin is easy to overcome, he asked why is it a sin in the first place.

Because it is a perversion of what marriage supposed to be: a symbol for how God interacts with his people. An example of what this is to look like is shown in Ephesians 5:28-31, "In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. 'Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.' This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"] I honestly do not know if it is a choice or not. However, it certainly is a choice whether or not they will be in a sexually active relationship. But as for me personally, I remember as early as age 5 that the reason I liked girls was because I was supposed to like girls. The only reason why I found guys repulsive was because it was socially frowned upon. Only as time progressed was my reasoning to be a heterosexual because of my attractions. Also, you presuppose that sin is easy to overcome. Never are we promised to easily be able to conquer sin in this life.mindstorm

Because it is a perversion of what marriage supposed to be: a symbol for how God interacts with his people. An example of what this is to look like is shown in Ephesians 5:28-31, "In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. 'Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.' This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church."

And where does that say being gay is bad?

You haven't answered the question, if god doesn't like gays, why does he make some people gay?

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mindstorm
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"] I honestly do not know if it is a choice or not. However, it certainly is a choice whether or not they will be in a sexually active relationship. But as for me personally, I remember as early as age 5 that the reason I liked girls was because I was supposed to like girls. The only reason why I found guys repulsive was because it was socially frowned upon. Only as time progressed was my reasoning to be a heterosexual because of my attractions. Also, you presuppose that sin is easy to overcome. Never are we promised to easily be able to conquer sin in this life.LJS9502_basic

There is a certain degree in which I will agree with this, but I'd put footnotes that state that practicing it out sexually in thought or deed is.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"] I honestly do not know if it is a choice or not. However, it certainly is a choice whether or not they will be in a sexually active relationship. But as for me personally, I remember as early as age 5 that the reason I liked girls was because I was supposed to like girls. The only reason why I found guys repulsive was because it was socially frowned upon. Only as time progressed was my reasoning to be a heterosexual because of my attractions. Also, you presuppose that sin is easy to overcome. Never are we promised to easily be able to conquer sin in this life.LJS9502_basic

Well, since I was responding to mindstorm, I was arguing against his viewpoint, which is that it is a sin.

But do you think mindstorm is wrong?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

mindstorm

There is a certain degree in which I will agree with this, but I'd put footnotes that state that practicing it out sexually in thought or deed is.

Why?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic

GreySeal9

Well, since I was responding to mindstorm, I was arguing against his viewpoint, which is that it is a sin.

IF he said that yes. Being a homosexual is not a sin. Now engaging in sexual conduct unless one is with one's spouse...is a sin. But note that gay sex is not a more grave sin than premarital sex or adultery. Basically any sexual activity is considered a sin without the benefit of marriage. More or less promiscuity is bad is the point.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic

mindstorm

That is the same with all sexual activity though unless one is married. And I said the fact that the individual is gay is not sin. Which is true.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mindstorm

[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]

toast_burner

You haven't answered the question, if god doesn't like gays, why does he make some people gay?

I'm not so sure that God "makes some people gay in the primary causation sense. I will agree, however, that people are born with certain inclinations, some to deceitfulness and hate, and some with homosexual desires. All men regardless of sexual orientation are born this way - imperfect. I myself will readily claim that I deserve the grace of God no more than the homosexual. It might not be that homosexuality is my temptation but my heterosexuality certainly is in that I have not controlled it as I should have when I was younger. With regard to this, I myself have failed already and have condemned myself because of my sin.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]FYI....being a homosexual is not labeled a sin. LJS9502_basic

IF he said that yes. Being a homosexual is not a sin. Now engaging in sexual conduct unless one is with one's spouse...is a sin. But note that gay sex is not a more grave sin than premarital sex or adultery. Basically any sexual activity is considered a sin without the benefit of marriage. More or less promiscuity is bad is the point.

So gay sex is okay if the two gay parties are married?

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mindstorm
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]FYI....being a homosexual is not labeled a sin. LJS9502_basic

Agreed.
seahorse123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 seahorse123

[QUOTE="seahorse123"]In my opinion it should still be classed as a mental disorder toast_burner

Why?

Because it's abnormal it's not a choice your born like that and I have nothing against them because it's not there fault.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ghoklebutter
[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="seahorse123"]In my opinion it should still be classed as a mental disorder seahorse123

Why?

Because it's abnormal it's not a choice your born like that and I have nothing against them because it's not there fault.

There's nothing wrong with homosexuality, whether it's a choice or not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"] Because it is a perversion of what marriage supposed to be: a symbol for how God interacts with his people. An example of what this is to look like is shown in Ephesians 5:28-31, "In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. 'Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.' This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church."mindstorm

I'm not so sure that God "makes some people gay in the primary causation sense. I will agree, however, that people are born with certain inclinations, some to deceitfulness and hate, and some with homosexual desires. All men regardless of sexual orientation are born this way - imperfect. I myself will readily claim that I deserve the grace of God no more than the homosexual. It might not be that homosexuality is my temptation but my heterosexuality certainly is in that I have not controlled it as I should have when I was younger. With regard to this, I myself have failed already and have condemned myself because of my sin.

You still haven't answerd the question.

Earlier you posted a verse saying that a man should love his wife, if god wants people to love their wives why would he create them so that they are inable to love them? All you're doing is saying what people should do, not how or why.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LJS9502_basic

GreySeal9

So gay sex is okay if one is married?

If you can find a church to marry you.......
seahorse123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 seahorse123
[QUOTE="seahorse123"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]Why?ghoklebutter

There's nothing wrong with homosexuality, whether it's a choice or not.

No of course not

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="seahorse123"]In my opinion it should still be classed as a mental disorder seahorse123

Why?

A mental illness has to be negative, if it doesn't cause any harm then it can't possibly be a illness.