Underage drinking- your thoughts?

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

What are your thoughts on underage drinking? do you mind it? or just dont care at all?

im against it really, I used to have a huge grudge against alcohol but now I realize that not every person who drinks is some stupid drunk and I actually feel bad for being so close minded on that, so now I Dont care, as far as the person is old enough to drink legally.

so no I dont like to see a 14-17 years old guy drinking, because lets be honest most of those do act like idiots and love to brag that they drink

ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts
I'm for it. It helps prepare you for college... :P
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Don't care. I think the age limit should go down to 18.

ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

Im against it when they are binge drinking and being reckless. If they are controlled with it and dont drink enough to do something stupid than go ahead.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I'm against irresponsible drinking of all ages. Underage drinkers tend to be very irresponsible.
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
As long as they aren't driving or binge drinking, I have no problem with it.
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
All in moderation. But......Practice before college or your going to learn the hard way. Trust me.
lordlunch2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 lordlunch2
Member since 2006 • 544 Posts
I'm against people who do really stupid things because of it, but I always had fun. :)
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Its illegal to drink before your 21 really. It seems like everyone drinks at my college

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#10 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

Its illegal to drink before your 21 really. It seems like everyone drinks at my college

James161324
that thing is pretty much in the US only...I havent heard of another country with an age restriction of 21, most countries are 18. and some europeans even have 16 as the required age
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
Lots of people do it...so yeah.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Once I turned 19 I started drinking. I didn't care about the age limit. Hell neither did my parents. They didn't care that I drank underage, they even let my brother and I drink with them. They think the 21 year age limit is stupid as well.

I love my parents.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
As long as they're not driving or wreaking havoc and keep away from my lawn I'm ok
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I think that reckless drinking by kids in high school and college is partially a byproduct of the fact that it is a forbidden fruit that they are not exposed to in an adequate manner - both by not being permitted to test their limits within reason until well into adulthood as well as the thrill factor associated with breaking the rules. Obviously allowing kids to drink at a younger age wouldn't stop irresponsible consumption of alcohol, but it would, at the very least, put some sort of a damper on binging and more properly prepare them to manage their habits.

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts

I don't like the idea of kids being able to drink before they can drive...

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

I think if this country (US) did a better job of educating its people about the dangers of alcohol from a very young age, I wouldn't have a problem with it. When people go to college however, they just expect to be able to drink.

I work at a gas station and we sell A LOT of beer.

Parents don't take an active part in their kids drinking habits and its one of the contributing factors in binge drinking and the like. Don't tell them to just not drink, that's not realistic. Educate them so they have an idea and then let them make their own choices.

If we didn't have such a ridiculous number of alcohol related problems in the US, the drinking age wouldn't be 21. As it stands, that age limit is probably going to be set for a long, long time.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Totally against it. Primarily because it's the law, but also because of maturity. It's not guaranteed that a person who is 21 is more mature than 16, but it's a good bet. I didn't drink until I was 21, and it wasn't that big of a deal at college. My father made me a deal that if I went to the age of 21 without doing drugs, using tobacco or drinking alcohol, he would give me $1000. Easiest money I ever made.
ExoticAnimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ExoticAnimal
Member since 2010 • 39796 Posts
[QUOTE="muthsera666"]Totally against it. Primarily because it's the law, but also because of maturity. It's not guaranteed that a person who is 21 is more mature than 16, but it's a good bet. I didn't drink until I was 21, and it wasn't that big of a deal at college. My father made me a deal that if I went to the age of 21 without doing drugs, using tobacco or drinking alcohol, he would give me $1000. Easiest money I ever made.

Or you could have done those things and lied and still would have been the easiest money ever made.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 muthsera666
[QUOTE="ExoticAnimal"][QUOTE="muthsera666"]Totally against it. Primarily because it's the law, but also because of maturity. It's not guaranteed that a person who is 21 is more mature than 16, but it's a good bet. I didn't drink until I was 21, and it wasn't that big of a deal at college. My father made me a deal that if I went to the age of 21 without doing drugs, using tobacco or drinking alcohol, he would give me $1000. Easiest money I ever made.

Or you could have done those things and lied and still would have been the easiest money ever made.

Except for the ethic compass that was not bothered by not doing any of those.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

You know I kind of think law is rather stupid. You can't tell a person they are an adult, but aren't allowed to do certain adult things. On the other hand I know that a lot of 18 year olds are still rather stupid (none of you of course apply) and should mature a bit before engaging in an act that will make them act even dumber than they already are.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts
If you are old enough to vote, be tried as an adult, or die for your country you should be able to drink. Either raise those ages to 21 or lower the drinking age to 18. Until then I will be sayin' "That ain't right!"
MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

I recommend it.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 muthsera666
If you are old enough to vote, be tried as an adult, or die for your country you should be able to drink. Either raise those ages to 21 or lower the drinking age to 18. Until then I will be sayin' "That ain't right!"GoldenElementXL
I agree with this. Completely.
iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

meh, kids will be kids. Where I live the drinking age is 18 and we still could not wait lol

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
[QUOTE="eboyishere"]All in moderation. But......Practice before college or your going to learn the hard way. Trust me.

Or you could go to college and not drink.
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 limpbizkit818

[QUOTE="GoldenElementXL"]If you are old enough to vote, be tried as an adult, or die for your country you should be able to drink. Either raise those ages to 21 or lower the drinking age to 18. Until then I will be sayin' "That ain't right!"muthsera666

The adolescent population in this country have proven over and over again they can not responsibly handle alcohol. Hell, the adult population has show they can not handle it either. The age should not be lowered. Instead local governments needs to crack down on bars/stores that turn a blind eye to fake ID use.

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

[QUOTE="eboyishere"]All in moderation. But......Practice before college or your going to learn the hard way. Trust me.limpbizkit818

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 limpbizkit818

[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"][QUOTE="eboyishere"]All in moderation. But......Practice before college or your going to learn the hard way. Trust me.cybrcatter

Who are you going to kill first? The ones drinking? :o

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#30 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

Well, I'd prefer it if there were no drinking at all, but I especially don't think you should be drinking while underage. I don't know if many people under 21 (the legal drinking age here in the US) would have the maturity and self-control to drink responsibly (of course, you have plenty of folks 21 and over who lack the aforementioned qualities).

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

I found it as a good way to figure out my limits and what I'm like in the altered state. However not all underage drinkers think about it like I do and so just get pissed and go nuts. Hell I still know a few who don't even leave the pre-drinks venue, they get that ****** up.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

I have no problems with it. But only at a certain age, say 16, 17. The drinking age is already 18 in Jamaica.

MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MrsSolidSnake
Member since 2009 • 5003 Posts

Fun and awesome... unless you're like 14-15. Then it's wrong.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts
If you can die for your country at 18, you should be able to drink.
Vesica_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vesica_Prime
Member since 2009 • 7062 Posts

A 16 year old drinking moderately is better than a 42 year old who is drinking their life away.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58310 Posts

it is just alcohol, by itself there is no harm in it. Alcohol is consumed by millions (maybe billions?) of people each day responsibly.

Underage drinking is a plague, not because theyre young, but because of society. People want what they can't have, and if a young adult can't have alcohol, theyre going to go out and get it. Worse, theyre going to buy it en masse, and consume it as such, because, hey, they won't know when theyre going to g et another chance. Enter binge drinking, an irresponsible way to consume alcohol, that society essentially tells "kids" to do.

I feel the age needs to be dropped to around 16 or so. In addition, this notion that alcohol is bad, evil, corrupt, etc needs to go away. Parents need to relax, start letting their kids have a glass of champagne on New Years or Christmas.

I remember turning 21, and it was great. I went out frequently and got drunk for a week or so because I felt unleashed, like it was so cool to finally be able to legally buy and drink alcohol. But then the "honeymoon phase" went away and I found myself drinking less (both in volume and in frequency). Alcohol became like a treat, something to celebrate the end of the week with. I think if the age was lowered, there'd be less binge drinking and more responsible drinking.

Also, having such a high drinking age is just pointless and wasteful; people are going to get alcohol one way or another

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 limpbizkit818

it is just alcohol, by itself there is no harm in it. Alcohol is consumed by millions (maybe billions?) of people each day responsibly.

Underage drinking is a plague, not because theyre young, but because of society. People want what they can't have, and if a young adult can't have alcohol, theyre going to go out and get it. Worse, theyre going to buy it en masse, and consume it as such, because, hey, they won't know when theyre going to g et another chance. Enter binge drinking, an irresponsible way to consume alcohol, that society essentially tells "kids" to do.

I feel the age needs to be dropped to around 16 or so. In addition, this notion that alcohol is bad, evil, corrupt, etc needs to go away. Parents need to relax, start letting their kids have a glass of champagne on New Years or Christmas.

I remember turning 21, and it was great. I went out frequently and got drunk for a week or so because I felt unleashed, like it was so cool to finally be able to legally buy and drink alcohol. But then the "honeymoon phase" went away and I found myself drinking less (both in volume and in frequency). Alcohol became like a treat, something to celebrate the end of the week with. I think if the age was lowered, there'd be less binge drinking and more responsible drinking.

Also, having such a high drinking age is just pointless and wasteful; people are going to get alcohol one way or another

mrbojangles25

The idea that alcohol is bad, evil, corrupt needs to go away? No! The idea needs to be enforced and properly taught. Alcohol is the most dangerous drug in modern society.

"Cancer experts say that for every additional 10g per day of alcohol drunk, the risk of breast cancer increases by approximately 7-12%."

"However, drinking more than three drinks a day has been found to have a direct and damaging effect on the heart. "

"For bowel cancer, previous studies show that increasing alcohol intake by 100g per week increases the cancer risk by 19%."

"Alcohol is a well-established cancer causing agent, he says."

"Long term, it increases the risk of developing a long list of health conditions including breast cancer, oral cancers, heart disease, strokes and cirrhosis of the liver."

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15114325)

That's not even looking at what effects alcohol consumption has on society. Some would argue it's worse than herion (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11660210).

But you know what, everyone does it! So it must be fine! Lets lower the drinking age! You know what else used to be popular? Smoking cigarettes. Then people starting waking up.

ToastRider11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 ToastRider11
Member since 2010 • 2573 Posts

Don't get caught!

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#39 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Don't care. I think the age limit should go down to 18.

leviathan91

I'm with this guy. I went back to europe last year. I turned 19 there and went bar hopping everyday. I'm 20 and didn't even wanna celebrate my bday since 21 is the "special" age. ahh.

Cerage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Cerage
Member since 2010 • 45 Posts

I despise the whole attitude how drinking is cool in today's already pathetic society.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

You can drink all you want but don't go telling me that alcohol taste/smells bad, as well as having bad side effects and a somewhat shorter lifespan.:twisted:

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts

[QUOTE="GoldenElementXL"]If you are old enough to vote, be tried as an adult, or die for your country you should be able to drink. Either raise those ages to 21 or lower the drinking age to 18. Until then I will be sayin' "That ain't right!"muthsera666

Not exactly; The only reason for those age limits is becase they need a timetable in which you can be sent to county if you break the law, when you can be drafted in times of war and of course jury duty. The drinking limit was set to 21 because the driving age is 18. Frankly I was still immature when I was 18 anyway. I wonder how I'll feel when I'm 30.

notsoawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 notsoawesome
Member since 2011 • 629 Posts

As long as it's done in moderation it's alright. I wouldn't know what to do with some of my weekends without it TBH.

daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44 daqua_99
Member since 2005 • 11170 Posts
Everyone drinks under age here. I was taking a swig from my father's beer from about 10, and drinking a glass of wine every night from about 12. I don't mind that, in the comfort of your own home. However, I'm against excessive drinking at a young age
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts

I despise the whole attitude how drinking is cool in today's already pathetic society.

Cerage
yeah man. remember when drinking wasn't considered cool? those were the days.
eyko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 eyko
Member since 2004 • 233 Posts

I think that reckless drinking by kids in high school and college is partially a byproduct of the fact that it is a forbidden fruit that they are not exposed to in an adequate manner - both by not being permitted to test their limits within reason until well into adulthood as well as the thrill factor associated with breaking the rules. Obviously allowing kids to drink at a younger age wouldn't stop irresponsible consumption of alcohol, but it would, at the very least, put some sort of a damper on binging and more properly prepare them to manage their habits.

coolbeans90

This I think is the biggest problem with drinking (in the UK at least). When you combine the fact that it is a 'forbidden fruit' along with our social reaction* to drinking. A lot of people, whether they are underage or not, go ahead and act like idiots when they are drunk.

My parents brought me up in a situation where drinking is an acceptable, social behaviour. Thus at a young age, somewhere between 10-12, I was allowed a drink in certain situations. Say a beer when we had Sunday lunch, or a glass of wine/champagne at celebrations. This is a much more Mediterranean approach to alcohol and something I think that should be adopted by more cultures. And while I won't deny having a few drunken nights out, I believe know my limit and happily drink to that limit before switching to soft drinks. Allowing me to have a great time out, minus the hangover.

In other words underage drinking, and all drinking, is fine when done responsibly.

*We socially accept alcohol makes you angry. So a large percentage of people from the UK (and the US and Scandinavia) get angry when drunk, even when they drink placebos. In the Mediterranean it is more socially accepted that alcohol makes you more relaxed and talkative. So this is a more likely response from the majority of people in this area when drinking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

I started drinking when I was 15. When I was 16 I would go out almost every week and get completely s***faced.

so obviously I have no problems with it.

TheNewEraIcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 TheNewEraIcon
Member since 2009 • 12196 Posts

Dont drive, or don't drink so much that their going to harm themselves. Other than that do as you please lol

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#49 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

I've been drinking since the age of 13... so I won't judge.

PunkAntiHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PunkAntiHero
Member since 2011 • 628 Posts
I am against underage drinking and drinking alcohol all together period.