Toddler Served Booze

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 JP_
Member since 2007 • 12875 Posts

First of all the full story is right here: http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/04/11/michigan.toddler.alcohol/

I can not really see this happen I mean really... How can this happen unless the waiter/waitress wasnt paying attention to which cup they grabbed as according to this story and what I heard on the News this morning that this was determinded at a accident. This happened in a Apple Bee's in Michigan. From the story on the news and on the internet i saw that the only way this could ever happen is if one of the people in the back put some booze in the same size cup as they use for the young children. I really think that before it is grabbed they need to look to make sure what they grab is correct and not something that can hurt young children like what happened.

What are your thoughts of this?

Video in the story : http://abcnews.go.com/US/detroit-applebees-mistakenly-serves-alcohol-child/story?id=13345868

Hypothetical Questions: if you wouldn't mind to answer these

• If you were the manager of the Apple Bee's what would be your 1st action?
  • What would you do to prevent this from happening at all?
Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

The thing that threw me, was that supposedly nobody at the table was drinking alcohol. (Because my first thought was perhaps someone at the table made the mistake).

Although, and I'm NOT blaming the parents, this is why when you are being served by strangers (even at a well-known establishment), you check out what your young kids are about to ingest......don't "take their word for it."

JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JP_

The thing that threw me, was that supposedly nobody at the table was drinking alcohol. (Because my first thought was perhaps someone at the table made the mistake).

Although, and I'm NOT blaming the parents, this is why when you are being served by strangers (even at a well-known establishment), you check out what your young kids are about to ingest......don't "take their word for it."

YellowOneKinobi

I totally agree with you. It was also stated that the parents were only 18 so they were like underage according to the news

xLFTMx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xLFTMx
Member since 2010 • 987 Posts

YellowOneKinobi

The orange juice at restuarants is kept behind the bar, so that servers cant just snag it whenever. Bartender probably was making drinks for a few tables and mixed them up.

Sucks for them, but accidents do happen.

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 YellowOneKinobi

[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"]

xLFTMx

The orange juice at restuarants is kept behind the bar, so that servers cant just snag it whenever. Bartender probably was making drinks for a few tables and mixed them up.

Yep. Accidents DO happen................and typically law suits follow.

TheArGaia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheArGaia
Member since 2011 • 629 Posts

Sounds like it was an accident to me. The bartender probably just mixed up the drinks.

xLFTMx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xLFTMx

[QUOTE="xLFTMx"]

YellowOneKinobi

In this case I'd say its very justified. Nearly killing a toddler isnt something that gets swept under the rug.

dorthie2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 dorthie2
Member since 2009 • 13597 Posts

Apple Bee says it is a mistake on their behave giving the tobbler booze. It is unknown the parents will sue the restaurant

JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JP_
Yeah and I am thinking that there might be other actions coming to happen at that Apple Bee's I can t for sure stay what might happen but you never know
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 YellowOneKinobi

[QUOTE="xLFTMx"]

xLFTMx

In this case I'd say its very justified. Nearly killing a toddler isnt something that gets swept under the rug.

I'd agree with you. Hopefully parents and future parents everywhere hear about this and CHECK what their kids are being served.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

The juice was an alcoholic concoction that was stored in a mislabeled container, according to a Madison Heights Police Department news release.

"The container was apple juice but it had margarita mix in it," Dill-Reese said.

article

Someone's getting fired.

JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JP_
Here is a hypothetical: If you were the manager of that apple bees what would be your 1st thing you say or do?
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 YellowOneKinobi
Here is a hypothetical: If you were the manager of that apple bees what would be your 1st thing you say or do?Juniorpower
Update my resume.
JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JP_
[QUOTE="Juniorpower"]Here is a hypothetical: If you were the manager of that apple bees what would be your 1st thing you say or do?YellowOneKinobi
Update my resume.

Now let me ask you this question What would you do to prevent this from happening in the 1st place?
xLFTMx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xLFTMx

Here is a hypothetical: If you were the manager of that apple bees what would be your 1st thing you say or do?Juniorpower

Free appetizer? Ha.

YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 YellowOneKinobi
[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"][QUOTE="Juniorpower"]Here is a hypothetical: If you were the manager of that apple bees what would be your 1st thing you say or do?Juniorpower
Update my resume.

Now let me ask you this question What would you do to prevent this from happening in the 1st place?

Well, for starters, I'll say that training specifically regarding this should have been a given. I work in the field of construction management, and we regularly have OSHA and various other safety training. In the case of food services, I'd like to think that there is regular/routine training explaining that when you mix up somebody's order, you put lives at risk (I'm thinking people with severe allergies). Beyond that, I'd say have audits to check if people are complying (sort of like mystery shoppers in clothing/department stores).
JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JP_

[QUOTE="Juniorpower"]Here is a hypothetical: If you were the manager of that apple bees what would be your 1st thing you say or do?xLFTMx

Free appetizer? Ha.

Lol funny but im serious what would be your 1st action,response?

Islandbeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Islandbeats
Member since 2008 • 1034 Posts
Was the kid Irish? Then it would be OK.
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 YellowOneKinobi

[QUOTE="xLFTMx"]

[QUOTE="Juniorpower"]Here is a hypothetical: If you were the manager of that apple bees what would be your 1st thing you say or do?Juniorpower

Free appetizer? Ha.

I wasn't kidding before when I said "Update resume." If I were that person, I'd HAVE TO assume I'm getting fired.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

[QUOTE="xLFTMx"]

xLFTMx

what? an alcoholic drink can nearly kill a toddler? this is news to me

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"][QUOTE="Juniorpower"]Here is a hypothetical: If you were the manager of that apple bees what would be your 1st thing you say or do?Juniorpower
Update my resume.

Don't use empty juice containers for storing alcohol... or at the very least, fix the label when you do.

JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JP_
[QUOTE="Juniorpower"][QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"] Update my resume.YellowOneKinobi

Well, for starters, I'll say that training specifically regarding this should have been a given. I work in the field of construction management, and we regularly have OSHA and various other safety training. In the case of food services, I'd like to think that there is regular/routine training explaining that when you mix up somebody's order, you put lives at risk (I'm thinking people with severe allergies). Beyond that, I'd say have audits to check if people are complying (sort of like mystery shoppers in clothing/department stores).

:o that is a great answer you be best manager there maybe :P
JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JP_
Was the kid Irish? Then it would be OK.Islandbeats
Island no he wasnt because this happened in Michigan and according to the news no the kid was White
xLFTMx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xLFTMx

[QUOTE="xLFTMx"]

[QUOTE="Juniorpower"]Here is a hypothetical: If you were the manager of that apple bees what would be your 1st thing you say or do?Juniorpower

Free appetizer? Ha.

Honestly, just contact a hospital. I think being a human takes over being a manager. All of the business crap can wait until the kid is safe.

Islandbeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Islandbeats
Member since 2008 • 1034 Posts
[QUOTE="Islandbeats"]Was the kid Irish? Then it would be OK.Juniorpower
Island no he wasnt because this happened in Michigan and according to the news no the kid was White

There aren't any Irish people in Michigan?
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 YellowOneKinobi
[QUOTE="Juniorpower"][QUOTE="Islandbeats"]Was the kid Irish? Then it would be OK.Islandbeats

There aren't any Irish people in Michigan?

And, most Irish people are white............ until the booze settles in, then they get a little red in the face :)
JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JP_

[QUOTE="Juniorpower"]

[QUOTE="xLFTMx"]

Free appetizer? Ha.

xLFTMx

Honestly, just contact a hospital. I think being a human takes over being a manager. All of the business crap can wait until the kid is safe.

That is the type of answer i was looking for. As a Eagle Scout I be focused on the Kid as the Customers come before the employees all the time.
JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JP_
I just edited my 1st message I added a link to a story with a video in it. From what i heard this isn't the 2nd time this happened which concerns me
Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#29 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
It's a mistake, however the parents will sue probably because that's what people do.
JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JP_
It's a mistake, however the parents will sue probably because that's what people do.metallica_fan42
Very true
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Oleg_Huzwog

It's a mistake, however the parents will sue probably because that's what people do.metallica_fan42

It'd be fully justified. Getting the wrong beverage is an innocent one-time mistake. Storing one beverage in a container that's labeled as something else, is a negligent act that will lead to repeated mistakes.

JP_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JP_

[QUOTE="metallica_fan42"]It's a mistake, however the parents will sue probably because that's what people do.Oleg_Huzwog

It'd be fully justified. Getting the wrong beverage is an innocent one-time mistake. Storing one beverage in a container that's labeled as something else, is a negligent act that will lead to repeated mistakes.

As i just checked a video i posted on my 1st post It was the 3rd time this type of thing happened

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

They should fire the entire Applebees staff that was working that night and Applebees should be paying to put that kid through college now.

Everyone - the managers, the waiters/watiresses, bartenders, hosstesses -EVERYONE.

That should send a clear enough message.

Avatar image for XiaolinPrincess
XiaolinPrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 XiaolinPrincess
Member since 2006 • 7907 Posts
I know years ago, a toddler was given alcohol instead of pineapple juice.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Definitely should file a lawsuit.. If the kid drank the entire drink it would have killed him.. Fortunately for him and his parent's sake, he did not.
Vaivod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Vaivod
Member since 2010 • 300 Posts
It can be more expensive, but the need at that place is a manager that can be able and capable of controlling what its subordinates do. Everything! It's a matter of being conscious that you're giving a service. Maybe it was a mistake and humans make mistakes, but this mistake had a happy ending. We don't need to wait for that all the time. This time they were lucky. Next time they may be not. And I also agree with YellowOneKinobi.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

[QUOTE="metallica_fan42"]It's a mistake, however the parents will sue probably because that's what people do.Oleg_Huzwog

Exactly. Can you imagine if the kid drank all of it and died?
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts
somebody's getting sued...
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

The server screwed up. Mistakes like this happen. He/she should lose their job.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

The server screwed up. Mistakes like this happen. He/she should lose their job.

Wasdie

Actually it was the bartender that screwed up seeing as they are the ones that poured the drink for the child, and did the mix up.