Therapy: Is it worth it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 the_plan_man
Member since 2011 • 1664 Posts

I began therapy yesterday, and the first session, and the therapist and I just pretty much talked about my current issues and practical solutions to them, but nothing that really "hit home" for me or changed me (I don't think). We discussed me reporting the teacher 4 years ago and how that made me feel bad/weird, and he said I shouldn't worry as I recanted the statement, the fact that I changed schools recently and made a positive difference in my mood, and my anxiety levels, but after the session I still don't really feel that happy. Do you guys know what to expect from therapy here on out and whether it is a benefit or not?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Therapy can Work, but don't expect it to do magic, mostly it loosens up built up frustrations and other strong emotions, which in turn may make you see the World differently.

It does not Work on everyone though, and I suspect that milage may wary.

I've been to a shrink before, some 20 odd sessions and never got anything useful out of it, I have met people WHO did Draw out alot of good use of it. So depends a Whole lot on the patient.

And no no one ever got any results from one consultation. It will take some time for you and the therapist to get on the same wavelength. In worst case take it as an experience ;)

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@the_plan_man said:

I began therapy yesterday, and the first session, and the therapist and I just pretty much talked about my current issues and practical solutions to them, but nothing that really "hit home" for me or changed me (I don't think). We discussed me reporting the teacher 4 years ago and how that made me feel bad/weird, and he said I shouldn't worry as I recanted the statement, the fact that I changed schools recently and made a positive difference in my mood, and my anxiety levels, but after the session I still don't really feel that happy. Do you guys know what to expect from therapy here on out and whether it is a benefit or not?

depends what you need therapy for.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44569 Posts

Therapy is a difficult thing to weigh whether it's worth it or not, just depends on your situation, and yourself and how right you are for your therapist. Now, if you really do need medication then going to a psychiatrist is kind of the only way to do it. If you're just going to talk things about your life out, I'll say from my own experience that can be counter productive, though I can see it being beneficial to some people, I personally think it was self defeating.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Yes, it is generally beneficial, but you'll need to do several sessions, at least, before you make up your mind. Keep in mind, no matter what location, if at any point you either feel uncomfortable with your therapist or you find him ineffective, you should ask for a new one or switch to a different one. But at least give it several sessions before deciding anything.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

It was your first sessions, relax and give it a chance. Revise your feeling toward it some sessions down the road.