The appeal of rap music, need some answers?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DrSbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DrSbaitso
Member since 2003 • 652 Posts

Im writing a paper for school on why todays youth are so drawn to rap music and i need some answers from people who listen to it. Answer whatever questions you want and please be honest and elaborate as much as possible if you could...

Why do you listen to rap music?

What is it about rap music you like the most/least?

Shut_Me_Up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Shut_Me_Up
Member since 2006 • 810 Posts

Pretty much everybody I know listens to rap, and I've asked them these questions. I always get the same answers. They like it because they can dance to it, and because the rappers have nice clothes (what this has to do with how the music sounds, I don't know). I think that half of the reason kids listen to rap is because of the imagery. That's not to say that there isn't any rap of substance out there, because that's not true. But the most popular music seems to be a vehicle for other products. Rappers are constantly advertising shoes, cars, clothing brands, etc. And it's everywhere teenagers tend to be - MTV (and TV in general), Myspace, AIM Radio, in video games and movies about fast cars and guns...

Basically, they like rap because they're surrounded by it and eventually they just take a liking to it. If the corporations behind popular rap music wanted to switch to heavy metal, eventually it would be a major mainstream thing. It's all about presentation.

xzemnes567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 xzemnes567
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

I'm not drawn to rap

its rock that rocks

1ND1FF3R3NT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 1ND1FF3R3NT
Member since 2006 • 3162 Posts

The appeal of rap is that it talks about sex, drugs, and violence...it makes people feel rebellious...there is a lot of bass which, for whatever reason, is considered "cool"...and it requires absolutely no thought to understand, which is why you will almost never find a real musician who listens to modern rap.

And I suppose "you can dance to it", although going to a club once a week hardly makes rap worth listening to all the time...and 90% of rap fans I know can't/won't dance anyways.

The end.

esb617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 esb617
Member since 2005 • 2464 Posts
I first listened to hip hop when I was 6. I fell in love with it because I could move to it so fluently and the way rappers would flow over the beat was just insane to me. It was all around me. My cousins listened to it, kids in my kindergarden listened to it, neighbors, so right away I adapted to it. To me the music is more personal than any other genre. You could have someone talk about life and everything but hip hop gets deeper than that. What I hate about hip hop is when they degrate women. It occurs in all genres but too be honest it's more in hp hop. Another thing is how the hip hop community won't give any good records spins. They are making themselves look worse buy showing half naked women, jewlery every where on there programs and radio. They don't play any political, social, or anyhting that can't relate to teenagers who all they are concerned with is how much money they have, or  who has the best **** on. Hip Hop is beautiful though and I love it
Trashface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Trashface
Member since 2006 • 3534 Posts
I've never been big into it, but what I liked was mostly due to the amount of hatred and violence. I also liked some of it because it was unique (Outkast, old Bustah) and some just sounded good. I also liked it because it added to my eclecticism. 
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
Im not drawn to rap...and I cant work out why others are
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Well the only way i can see it possible is if you're from the ghetto like me, hip-hop with a message and meaning is worth listening to. 2pac, some eminem, nas, krs-one and some other old school stuff and today people like immortal technique. Talking about the struggles people face.
Avatar image for Chloroformality
Chloroformality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Chloroformality
Member since 2007 • 435 Posts

M-Money and hoes

M-M-M-Money and hoes

M-Money and hoes

M-M-M-Money and hoes

........ yeah, I don't like rap. Women, money, and gangs are about the extent of their lyrics. 

Two400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Two400
Member since 2006 • 2787 Posts

YO YO YO

Check out my car

I got drunk at the bar

Cause I want to get far

JIGGA WAGGA CHAKKA LAKKA?!?!?

WORD UP MO FO

WESTSIDE!! 

ironman1714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ironman1714
Member since 2004 • 1668 Posts

Pretty much everybody I know listens to rap, and I've asked them these questions. I always get the same answers. They like it because they can dance to it, and because the rappers have nice clothes (what this has to do with how the music sounds, I don't know). I think that half of the reason kids listen to rap is because of the imagery. That's not to say that there isn't any rap of substance out there, because that's not true. But the most popular music seems to be a vehicle for other products. Rappers are constantly advertising shoes, cars, clothing brands, etc. And it's everywhere teenagers tend to be - MTV (and TV in general), Myspace, AIM Radio, in video games and movies about fast cars and guns...

Basically, they like rap because they're surrounded by it and eventually they just take a liking to it. If the corporations behind popular rap music wanted to switch to heavy metal, eventually it would be a major mainstream thing. It's all about presentation.

Shut_Me_Up
I for the most part second this answer
SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts

I listened to rap when I was younger in high school (last year), does that mean youth? No clue. Anyway, I liked it because of the amount of lyrics that it was possible to fit into a rap song, since it's basically poetry with sick beats. This was awesome to me because I love politics, and political rap bands could say so much about an issue in just one song, give them a whole album and wow you've got some good times on your hands. Also, there are some really eloquent rappers out there that are just amazing to listen to their lyrical talent, the way they rhyme such difficult phrases and still keep the song intelligible. That's a few reasons why I liked rap, still do like rap :)

Rap bands I like: Binary Star, Jedi Mind Tricks, Immortal Technique, Cannibal Ox, El P

Stillmatic91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Stillmatic91
Member since 2006 • 1858 Posts

Just for the record, I DO NOT listen to the cars & clothes raps....

I can relate, to a certain point, some songs more than the other....And some rappers such as Nas have an amazing stort telling ability, I'm a sucker for that.

DarkPrinceXC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DarkPrinceXC
Member since 2003 • 5921 Posts

LET ME SEE YOUR GRILL! YOUR GRILL! YOUR GRILL-GRI-GRI-GRILL! LET ME SEE YOUR GRILL!

Outstanding lyrics. I don't hate all rap, but most of it is pretty terrible. 

MarioFanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MarioFanatic
Member since 2003 • 6153 Posts

the way i see it, theres 2 types of rap. material/club rap, and poetic rap. i like both.

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

Shut_Me_Up

Bravo sir. I agree with pretty much everything you said there.  :)

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

Im writing a paper for school on why todays youth are so drawn to rap music and i need some answers from people who listen to it. Answer whatever questions you want and please be honest and elaborate as much as possible if you could...

1. Why do you listen to rap music?

2. What is it about rap music you like the most/least?

DrSbaitso

1. I don't listen to rap...

2. ...because it's not very tuneful in my opinion. They don't exactly sing, and for the most part, backbeats are electronic, and instruments don't exist in their world.

Then again, I'm hooked on ska, so you can probably see why rap isn't my cup of tea.

KJAX90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KJAX90
Member since 2006 • 8809 Posts
I like the beat of a lot of rap songs. However, rap songs usually have ridiculously pointless lyrics, so that's why you should stick with hip hop:wink:
Yakuza_Pride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Yakuza_Pride
Member since 2005 • 241 Posts
Its the booty......just j/k......but seriously I listen to rap because of the good liyrics they put in to match the beat but im not talkin about just any raper im talkin about artist like bone thugs, 2pac, nas, notorious b.i.g, the game, lupe fiasco, krs one and eazy e. It appeals to me because i like the phat beats and the lyrics by the artist i mentioned and i hate the new rappers these days their killin hip hop. But i do like the booty chicks.     
TallicaFan2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 TallicaFan2005
Member since 2005 • 4126 Posts

That's a stupid paper.... People are drawn to anything.... It's like your comparing hip hop to drugs "Why people are drawn to drugs".

People listen to hip hop because it is great music and we enjoy it.... Why not write "Why people like the color blue"...THey just do, your not going to get much information for your paper.

Hip hop rocks. 

blooddemon666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blooddemon666
Member since 2003 • 22587 Posts

I don't necessarily care for rap/hip-hop. But I do respect it, I can't rap; so it does take some semblance of talent to become a rapper.

I'm a rocker, but there are a few rap songs that I do like. I actually have an album of a rap artist, albiet mc frontalot. 

Hexum-311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hexum-311
Member since 2007 • 1158 Posts

If you're talking about 50-cent and stuff like that...

It's the opportunity for a vicarious existence in which one feels "hardcore."  By listening to something like that, the listener feels as though it makes him tougher. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts

Because It requires some sort of intellectual mind and experience to write the lyrics in rap songs....

I belive people are drawn to it because it's good music...

TallicaFan2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TallicaFan2005
Member since 2005 • 4126 Posts

It's the opportunity for a vicarious existence in which one feels "hardcore." By listening to something like that, the listener feels as though it makes him tougher.

Hexum-311

No...It is exciting maybe but people don't go around like "Oh I'm bad as * because I just listened to some fight music...."

If you think like that, than the only reason people went to see the crap that is 300 is to feel like they can go cut peoples heads off....

Best lyrics ever:

"Your hearing the last thoughts of a man about to blow his *'n brains out, fall back onto a blood stained blouse on top of his spouse, spread out on a bloodstained couch, in front of his kids he just killed in the same house!! (...) I'll throw a stroller at you, with the baby in it!" (Eminem) 

_-B_Smooth-_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 _-B_Smooth-_
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

Well most people that dont really know anything about it listen to it because its popular, and they like to do whats popular. They think the lyrics are cool...about money, drugs, and sex...ever since ive been in highschool i cant believe how many people seem to only be focused on sex..so they like that..and when they see the mustic videos they think they are cool. And they are drawn into the "gangsta" life, and they think listening to the music makes them a little more like it...

I listen to rap but not the garbage on the radio and MTV..its awful. I listen to not so popular rap because i think it sounds good, i like the beat and flow of the songs... im not interested in rock music...i dont care about guitars and loud noises....and I think the lyrics in most rock songs are terrible (i know lyrics in most rap is terrible)..

Thats my opinion...

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts
meh.. i started listening to it back in like 90-91.. mostly to be different from all the metal and stuff that my siblings liked..
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts
The media sold it and the kids ate it up because they follow the crowd.  Not to say some people don't genuinely like it....but that's how it became a huge part of the culture.  MTV did it.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts
I like rap music I can nod my head to. Often the lyrics are witty too. It reminds me of when I was at school too. I used to listen to pretty much just rap at school. Now I'm more into prog rock/metal and electronic music.
Hexum-311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Hexum-311
Member since 2007 • 1158 Posts
[QUOTE="Hexum-311"]

It's the opportunity for a vicarious existence in which one feels "hardcore." By listening to something like that, the listener feels as though it makes him tougher.

TallicaFan2005

No...It is exciting maybe but people don't go around like "Oh I'm bad as * because I just listened to some fight music...."

If you think like that, than the only reason people went to see the crap that is 300 is to feel like they can go cut peoples heads off....

Best lyrics ever:

"Your hearing the last thoughts of a man about to blow his *'n brains out, fall back onto a blood stained blouse on top of his spouse, spread out on a bloodstained couch, in front of his kids he just killed in the same house!! (...) I'll throw a stroller at you, with the baby in it!" (Eminem)

You must not know many people that listen to 50-cent.

GP1mil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 GP1mil
Member since 2006 • 994 Posts
DOOD godofpoop your back Gamespot can't keep a player hater down like you
Undoing_Ruin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Undoing_Ruin
Member since 2005 • 1303 Posts

The appeal of rap is that it talks about sex, drugs, and violence...it makes people feel rebellious...there is a lot of bass which, for whatever reason, is considered "cool"...and it requires absolutely no thought to understand, which is why you will almost never find a real musician who listens to modern rap.

And I suppose "you can dance to it", although going to a club once a week hardly makes rap worth listening to all the time...and 90% of rap fans I know can't/won't dance anyways.

The end.

1ND1FF3R3NT

You are so wrong it's not even funny. Thousands of "real" musicians listen to rap. You're just ignorant.

PlayedThemAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 PlayedThemAll
Member since 2006 • 665 Posts

Couldnt you have chosen a more interesting topic?

It just seems to me that you're too general. Not everyone I know likes RAP, and I'm not an old man.

I don't mind rap, but I prefer a different side of music. Rather than talking about drugs, money, shooting people, and the ill-side of woman nature. 

RogerC44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

#35 RogerC44
Member since 2006 • 2504 Posts

I only listen to rap because of some songs that have a meaning to it. I like those artists that write songs like that. I still listen somewhat to rap but not like I used to. The rap artists back in the early 80's and 90's had great lyrics (2Pac, B.I.G., Eazy E) yeah but now I don't listen much to modern rap unless it's a song that has a good beat. And the thing about rap music that I like the most is that it had some great artists the least thing I like about is now it isn't as good now that some rappers either retired or are dead.

cpo335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 cpo335
Member since 2002 • 5463 Posts

YO YO YO

Check out my car

I got drunk at the bar

Cause I want to get far

JIGGA WAGGA CHAKKA LAKKA?!?!?

WORD UP MO FO

WESTSIDE!! 

Two400
LOL!
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#37 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

The appeal of rap is that it talks about sex, drugs, and violence...it makes people feel rebellious...there is a lot of bass which, for whatever reason, is considered "cool"...and it requires absolutely no thought to understand, which is why you will almost never find a real musician who listens to modern rap.

And I suppose "you can dance to it", although going to a club once a week hardly makes rap worth listening to all the time...and 90% of rap fans I know can't/won't dance anyways.

The end.

1ND1FF3R3NT

wow a lot of people's opinions about rap sound a lot like they want them to be facts...

Quincy Jones proves yours "no musician listens to rap" rule incorrect

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#38 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

The appeal to rap music is that (1) it's easy for the uneducated urban blacks to understand & (2) the urban blacks that make the music are expendable and we can have them shoot it out with each other for our entertainment.GodofPoop2

funny... 80% of rap music is bought my white people... so another wrong opinion passed off as fact

DrSbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DrSbaitso
Member since 2003 • 652 Posts

I thank everyone who posted honestly and truthfully and i ask you to keep um coming!

That's a stupid paper.... People are drawn to anything.... It's like your comparing hip hop to drugs "Why people are drawn to drugs".

People listen to hip hop because it is great music and we enjoy it.... Why not write "Why people like the color blue"...THey just do, your not going to get much information for your paper.

Hip hop rocks. 

TallicaFan2005

First off thats a good question why are people drawn to drugs, is it cause the majority of people who take drugs are trying to escape to a different reality? Then why? Or is it because there trying to find a new level of thought? Im trying to dig a little bit deeper then "well its addicting".Its actually an interesting topic. Second exactly how did my question in ANY WAY realate to comparing listening to hip hop to  taking drugs? And third you say its great music, thats what im trying to get at, please elaborate and explain exactly why you think its great music, then general consensus im getting is because of the beats, and some enjoy the lyrics but its different for different people, i would love for you to explain yourself cause it would really help my paper.

Couldnt you have chosen a more interesting topic?

It just seems to me that you're too general. Not everyone I know likes RAP, and I'm not an old man.

I don't mind rap, but I prefer a different side of music. Rather than talking about drugs, money, shooting people, and the ill-side of woman nature. 

PlayedThemAll
You're right not everyone likes rap music (i particularly dont and thats one of the reasons im writing this paper), i probably should have worded the question my paper is bringing up more like "Why does the majority of todays youth listen to rap music?" And i dont know why you dont think its an interesting topic, i think its fascinating seeing this hip hop culture everywhere but not understanding why so many people are drawn to it. Like I said please keep your answers coming I greatly appreciate it, and be as elaborate as possible! Thanks!
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
I like certain rap songs for the same reason I like all the music I like - it's fun to listen to. There isn't really a way to describe it... since everybody has different tastes.
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
I like rap music because it makes me feel like I'm not trying to be above anyone. Most other music I listen to kind of has that. Rap music is everything though. It's smart and stupid and funny and serious and sexist and sensitive and everything. There's so much to it.
gameguru25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gameguru25
Member since 2005 • 893 Posts
some rap is just fun to listen to, and some raps actually have meaningful lyrics, although most modern rap is pretty bad IMO...
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
some rap is just fun to listen to, and some raps actually have meaningful lyrics, although most modern rap is pretty bad IMO...gameguru25
Well yeah, but the majority of anything is pretty bad. The only reason you think modern rap in particular is good is because the only stuff people are still listening to from the old school era is the stuff that's good enough to survive the test of time. This is why people think the 1960s produced the best sounding music ever.
jacintos09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 jacintos09
Member since 2007 • 1466 Posts
depends on which rap song it is. some i listen to because i like the message and others i just think have a nice beat. for example, i think common has made some great songs w/ meaning. "i have a dream" is one of my faves. on the other hand, you have somebody like mims. "this is why i'm hot" barely counts as a song but i dig the beat and thus i like the song. i'm not trying to learn anything from it though lol
jacintos09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 jacintos09
Member since 2007 • 1466 Posts
I like certain rap songs for the same reason I like all the music I like - it's fun to listen to. There isn't really a way to describe it... since everybody has different tastes.Funkyhamster

exactly. i can probably come up w/ numerous artists that aren't all that musically talented but if i like the song, then i like the song. sometimes, at least in my opinion, music doesn't have to be so...intense or big or whatever. it can just be fun
nickyb628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nickyb628
Member since 2005 • 10303 Posts

Just for the record, I DO NOT listen to the cars & clothes raps....

I can relate, to a certain point, some songs more than the other....And some rappers such as Nas have an amazing stort telling ability, I'm a sucker for that.

Stillmatic91

Same here, I'm also a sucker for amazing beats.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts
Sorry, nothing about rap relates to any part of my life. It is of little value to me as a form of music.
ithilgore2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 ithilgore2006
Member since 2006 • 10494 Posts
The media sold it and the kids ate it up because they follow the crowd. Not to say some people don't genuinely like it....but that's how it became a huge part of the culture. MTV did it.LJS9502_basic
Just like fads such as the recent "emo" fashion.
bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bigdcstile
Member since 2004 • 2236 Posts
With all the anti rap threads where the tides turn to pro rap by true hip hop heads, it's a wonder why you ask the question.  Some don't like it because they don't know anything about it, or they feel they do because they listen to the radio.  Others like it for the clever, punchline like lyrics.  Others for the beats they produce ( which is another reason some don't like the genre ).  I like it for the poetry from true lyricists in the game.  It takes heaps of talent to write what they write.  Of course you're going to get someone to post the minimalistic lyrics that aid their dislike, but you get that in any genre, regardless.
seals44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 seals44
Member since 2006 • 959 Posts

"this is why im hot

im hot cause im fly

you anint cause ur not

thats about the easiest and stupedist thing anyone could write and its the most popular song

and singin about money in the bank?  easy and pointless